Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Post your Painted Miniatures!

What are you painting these days?

As an enclave of fairly nerdy folks it's safe to assume that there are some board game enthusiasts among us, and I'm hoping to give us a spot to support and cheer each other on. From custom Catan tiles to Arkham Horror monsters, to the big guns like Age of Sigmar and WH40K - let's share!

This thread is dedicated to showing off your painted stuff, whether its a WIP or ready for submission to Golden Demon. Art is subjective and people pour a lot of their passion into projects like this, so keep that in mind - it takes some balls to put yourself out there!

A note on image sizing: you can add in a 'L' or 'M' to your image link right before the file extension to easily drop an image to a reasonable size!

Since it would hardly be fair to ask you guys to post stuff while I hide behind my keyboard, here's a couple of my latest pieces that I'm working up for my copy of Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower, which is, incidentally, a buttload of fun.

Lord of Plagues

Darkoath Chieftain

Weirdnob Shaman
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

When I was much younger, in my teens, I had a small collection. Sadly they all turned out like this:

10+ Year Old Account

Kairic Acolytes (WHQ: Silver Tower)
    Last edited by jackofwind; 2018-01-10 at 09:37 PM.

Been painting for the first time in 13 years, still super rusty - using vallejo for the first time didnt help since unlike GW they need multiple coats as they are a bit watery and streaky for my liking, but i'm happy i got one of them at least looking like the box art design most avoid.

Still WIP and bad photo but i'm happy so far but god damn is Malifaux so much fiddlier than GW with its small scale parts!

Working on my next Malifaux crew and doing more stuff with highlights and shading that sadly dont show up in the overexposed image. While im still shit at faces otherwise i'm very pleased to see clear improvement so soon.

Also an example of my autumnal sylvaneth army im starting.

They are really classy!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post

Working on my next Malifaux crew and doing more stuff with highlights and shading that sadly dont show up in the overexposed image. While im still shit at faces otherwise i'm very pleased to see clear improvement so soon.

Also an example of my autumnal sylvaneth army im starting.
    That second group looks really nice, a lot crisper than the first. Nice work!

I'm with you on painting faces - I avoid it as much as possible, and ususally try to make them as subdued as possible because I don't trust myself to actually do a good job. Lots of shadowy eyes and brows so I can keep the features vague lol.

How do you like Vallejo paints? I use Citadel exclusively, but only because I started with them and I don't want to mix paints or replace my collection). It's also nice to be able to pick up pots if I'm stopping at a GW to get more minis.

Here's a few more of my WHQ:ST minis:

Excelsior Warpriest

Tenebrael Shard

Brimstone Horrors
    Last edited by jackofwind; 2018-03-09 at 01:17 AM.

Vallejo is runnier and needs shaking every time you use it but it mixes a lot better so a £15 16 colour set can get a lot of varieties.

-and right now i'm trying to speed paint my Shadespire Sakven warband. Just shaded and letting them dry before highlighting. from sprue to this took maybe 2 hours.

and finished. Tried to experiment with some nihilak oxide and vallejos to make a 'glow' around the gutter and it just didn't work. Going to have to buy some more yellows and warm colours to blend for that i think.

Still quite happy for my first skaven i painted. Lovely sculpts for a side tabletop game you can also use in WHF/AoS. Not as good as some amazing jobs i've seen but considering how many just open their shadespire deck and clip the models off the sprue and play them unpainted i'm happy with my warband.

Would have preferred clan pestilens though, but maybe theres a nurgle warband deckbox on the way?

10+ Year Old Account
    and finished. Tried to experiment with some nihilak oxide and vallejos to make a 'glow' around the gutter and it just didn't work. Going to have to buy some more yellows and warm colours to blend for that i think.

Still quite happy for my first skaven i painted. Lovely sculpts for a side tabletop game you can also use in WHF/AoS. Not as good as some amazing jobs i've seen but considering how many just open their shadespire deck and clip the models off the sprue and play them unpainted i'm happy with my warband.

Would have preferred clan pestilens though, but maybe theres a nurgle warband deckbox on the way?
    Very nice, and that's a really quick turnaround time for a solid tabletop pain job so well done. The Shadespire Skaven sculpts are really nice too, makes me wish there was more variety in the basic clanrats (I haven't moved my WFB Skaven army off of the square bases yet cause it's such a daunting job).

Oh and +1 for Clan Pestilens. Plague is best.

This is my WHQ Skaven Warlord mini - he's actually my PC in our current campaign but I'll be retiring him for the next one.

Thats great ma, i always wanted to get into skaven and tried plague monks but they were so monotonous to paint compared to something like nurgle that was just the same but more variants what with smaller unit sizes and more varied models.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thats great ma, i always wanted to get into skaven and tried plague monks but they were so monotonous to paint compared to something like nurgle that was just the same but more variants what with smaller unit sizes and more varied models.
    Yeah the horde armies are always kind of shitty to paint to a high degree. You can paint 40 clanrats or 8 chaos warriors, and the warriors get more variability on top of being bigger models with more detail. Not to mention Skaven rely heavily on having that fat blob of slaves/clanrats at the front to pin the enemy and let their powerful artillery units go to town. The positive side I guess is that when your army is fully painted it's pretty damn impressive :P

TBH though I'm really enjoying the smaller skirmish games and WHQ stuff a lot more. WFB was fantastic for what it was, but it was definitely clunky and prone to cheese. The AoS ruleset isn't entirely my cup of tea so I tend to avoid the large scale battles these days.

Its probably why my main game is Malifaux. Aside from the bloodborne meets deadwood meets the goon themes you have a small amount of figures that are all characters and its always a 3x3 tabletop. A big army looks cool but its tedious.

10+ Year Old Account

Since we were chatting about all things ratty I thought I'd throw up a couple pics of my Skaven Deathrunner (WHQ:ST)

Thats really cool. I've not touched silver tower just shadespire since its basic enough for my none wargaming friends to play. Though it desperately needs more variety. They just revealed the next two decks/figure sets and its stormcast and khorne.... again. Not sylvaneth, seraphon, daughters of khaine, ioneth deepkin or khadron or anything new. Its ANOTHER sigmarine and ANOTHER murderman set.

I get they really want stormcasts and khorne to be the two faces of AoS like ultramarines and black legion in 40k but god theres so many cool armies you can fit in. God knows some varied sylvaneth models like a new branchwych would be welcome.

Perhaps theres another 'warhammer underworlds' in future thats more sylvaneth vs nurgle and the like, more game boards would also be a plus.

as for minatures i only just primed them but i picked up a new malifaux box from comicon at a steal at closing time when the stalls are packing up. Its been a long time since i've had to glue a tiny counterweight under a model to stop it tipping and this set of undead wild west judges is full of them!

10+ Year Old Account
    Thats really cool. I've not touched silver tower just shadespire since its basic enough for my none wargaming friends to play. Though it desperately needs more variety. They just revealed the next two decks/figure sets and its stormcast and khorne.... again. Not sylvaneth, seraphon, daughters of khaine, ioneth deepkin or khadron or anything new. Its ANOTHER sigmarine and ANOTHER murderman set.

I get they really want stormcasts and khorne to be the two faces of AoS like ultramarines and black legion in 40k but god theres so many cool armies you can fit in. God knows some varied sylvaneth models like a new branchwych would be welcome.

Perhaps theres another 'warhammer underworlds' in future thats more sylvaneth vs nurgle and the like, more game boards would also be a plus.

as for minatures i only just primed them but i picked up a new malifaux box from comicon at a steal at closing time when the stalls are packing up. Its been a long time since i've had to glue a tiny counterweight under a model to stop it tipping and this set of undead wild west judges is full of them!

Those are awesome minis, they look like they'd fit in great as substitutes for a Cthulu-themed old-west boardgame we have kicking around called Shadows of Brimstone. It's a fun game but the included minis are pretty poor quality - I might pick up some Malifaux stuff to replace them. Also it's rad that you got a deal at Comicon! It pays off to stay late I guess lol, it's not easy to get deals on minis.

And yes, completely agree with the current marketing strategy for AoS. I'm tired of GW slapping me in the face over and over with new Khorne and Stormcast sculpts when they're the two most singularly boring factions in the whole game. The most boring Chaos faction (and Chaos is frankly pretty boring to begin with at this point) matched against the most generic and boring good faction. Feels like a huge step backwards from their last starter set which was High Elf and Skaven.

I've got a nice project drying up at home that I'm hoping to get a few good photos of today so I may be able to post them - I did a cork-stone base for the first time ever and I think it turned out really well.

Edit: Here's some pics!

Ogroid Thaumaturge
    Last edited by jackofwind; 2018-03-28 at 05:08 PM.

Deleted
    Nice pics guys

Wish i had the time/space/money to get back into this. I never played tt, but i enjoyed collecting/making/painting the minatures

Deleted
    Guys hats off to your talent (I really admire it) thank you for posting these pics, really filled my eyes :P

Quote Originally Posted by Peggle View Post
    Nice pics guys

Wish i had the time/space/money to get back into this. I never played tt, but i enjoyed collecting/making/painting the minatures
    You should look into shadespire. its technically a board game. you get 3-5 figures on average with a deck of cards and a board of hexbased grids. games are 3 turns and super quick and you dont need to paint the minis but if you do its as small as 3 or at most 7 for a full set. They are fixed sets of named models so its not like 'i need this and that' to play you have a £40 starter box with two decks, boards and warbands and the seperate warband and deck boxes are around £15 each online. way more time and money friendly and easy to get fiends into.