The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    I’ll compare GotG3 to Black Panther 2.

The High Evolutionary was a sucky villain that made a pretty good movie worse. I’d blame the actor but the writing might not have been there in the first place. I suppose it didn’t help that the good team effort was cribbed from Avengers 2. I honestly liked the Christmas special more.

Black Panther 2 was definitely a weaker MCU movie. However, I thought Namor was a pretty good villain in some ways. He didn’t quite behave like your normal “flying brick” and he absolutely outclassed the Wakandans. The Wakandans needed to do work to beat him. Namor’s presence made BP2 better.

Witcher certainly isn’t perfect but it at least gets a few things right. Viglefortz’s capability and manipulations were one of them.
    Guardians 3 was the worst one of the three but it's still infinitely better than Witcher Season 3. I watched it two times to date while I only watched first 2 episodes of S3 and then woke up and turned it off.

Also I understand you have a personal vendetta against High Evolutionary. But you see. He's not a villain. He's an antagonist. If he didn't want his property (Rocket) back Guardians wouldn't even know about him. Because he is a law abiding member of the galactic community with legitimate business and shit. He made Rocket. He owns him. Yes he ain't a goody two shoes either, he's evil (from our relativistic point of view) but not a villain. He does his own thing on his own planets, with his own pets.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Guardians 3 was the worst one of the three but it's still infinitely better than Witcher Season 3. I watched it two times to date while I only watched first 2 episodes of S3 and then woke up and turned it off.

Also I understand you have a personal vendetta against High Evolutionary. But you see. He's not a villain. He's an antagonist. If he didn't want his property (Rocket) back Guardians wouldn't even know about him. Because he is a law abiding member of the galactic community with legitimate business and shit. He made Rocket. He owns him. Yes he ain't a goody two shoes either, he's evil (from our relativistic point of view) but not a villain. He does his own thing on his own planets, with his own pets.
    Ok, so you pulled a Syegfryed. Got it.

Blah. Blah. Blah. If you prefer we'll call him a snivelling whiner antagonist. I do not have a personal vendetta against him. He's just a shitty "antagonist" in a long line of shitty MCU "antagonists". He just happens to be worse than most of them. I suppose it doesn't help Mandalorian Season 3 was still lingering in memory. Moff Gideon is a really good fucking "antagonist" played by a really good fucking actor. Anything else is likely to fall short of that performance.

I know it's not witcher related but what was good about Moff Gideon? oO'
    Wasn't he only a captain or lieutenant who picked up by accident a relic lightsaber?

Quote Originally Posted by Skildar View Post
    I know it's not witcher related but what was good about Moff Gideon? oO'
    Wasn't he only a captain or lieutenant who picked up by accident a relic lightsaber?
    No. From the very beginning he wanted three things:
    Use Mandalorian tech to become an unstoppable bad ass.
    Make a force sensitive clone of himself to be a bigger unstoppable bad ass.
    Make the galaxy bend its knee to his unstoppable badassness.

He’s like a better played and written version of Viglefortz. I appreciated some of the things they did with Viggy but Gideon shows some better long ranging planning even though each episode of Mando is less serial driven than Witcher.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    No. From the very beginning he wanted three things:
    Use Mandalorian tech to become an unstoppable bad ass.
    Make a force sensitive clone of himself to be a bigger unstoppable bad ass.
    Make the galaxy bend its knee to his unstoppable badassness.

He’s like a better played and written version of Viglefortz. I appreciated some of the things they did with Viggy but Gideon shows some better long ranging planning even though each episode of Mando is less serial driven than Witcher.
    To me, ambitions don't make a character badass, actions do. Having a character manipulate and challenge others, show quick thinking and think outside the box do make a strong character, whatever faults comes with these accomplishments. The character becomes badass when it is able to show off as bonus

Quote Originally Posted by Skildar View Post
    To me, ambitions don't make a character badass, actions do. Having a character manipulate and challenge others, show quick thinking and think outside the box do make a strong character, whatever faults comes with these accomplishments. The character becomes badass when it is able to show off as bonus
    This is the storytelling mentality of a small child. Actions make character's badass? LOL.

Was Olenna Tyrell a badass? She sure as shit was, and she was an old granny. The most badass action she ever did was probably poison (although not personally, likely) Joffrey's cup at his wedding.

This is what prequel lovers in Star Wars don't understand. Yoda was a badass in the OT. You didn't need to see him flipping around and spinning and doing lightsaber tricks in the prequels to suddenly declare him badass. You didn't need the Duel of the Fates to see Obi Wan was a badass, he was a badass when he put up his lightsaber and told Darth: "If you strike me down, I will become more powerful."

Likewise, there's numerous examples of people taking extreme actions who aren't badass at all: they may be cowards, or just psychopaths, or something else.

Badass is a mentality. It is a characteristic. It is defined by who you are (including your ambitions), not what you do, though the two can match.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    This is the storytelling mentality of a small child. Actions make character's badass? LOL.
    Actions speak louder than words
    Was Olenna Tyrell a badass? She sure as shit was, and she was an old granny. The most badass action she ever did was probably poison (although not personally, likely) Joffrey's cup at his wedding.
    That poison thingy was the only reason she was badass. Remove that and she's just an old lady with a lot of diplomatic experience, nothing badass.
    This is what prequel lovers in Star Wars don't understand. Yoda was a badass in the OT.
    Yoda was not badass in OT. He was a legend by the power of word of a ghost. The most powerful thing he did was raising that X-Wind from the swamp. He was master of the force. Nothing badass about that, even Luke managed to learn that trick pretty fast.
    You didn't need to see him flipping around and spinning and doing lightsaber tricks in the prequels to suddenly declare him badass.
    Actually, how do you expect someone that small to fight bigger enemies? And the most badass thing he did was preemptively decapitating those clones.
    You didn't need the Duel of the Fates to see Obi Wan was a badass, he was a badass when he put up his lightsaber and told Darth: "If you strike me down, I will become more powerful."
    There was nothing badass about that when the movie was released - you are using prequels to define Obi-wan as badass. In OT the old General just sacrificed himself so that Luke could escape (yes, the viewer didn't know anything about Leia back then, I suspect even Lucas didn't) and finish the mission.
    Likewise, there's numerous examples of people taking extreme actions who aren't badass at all: they may be cowards, or just psychopaths, or something else.
    You are strawmanning here. Obviously not every action is badass. But a badass action is, even if the doer is a coward or psychopath
    Badass is a mentality. It is a characteristic. It is defined by who you are (including your ambitions), not what you do, though the two can match.
    But we are not talking about real people here, we are talking movie characters. And movie characters must act (in all senses) to show how badass they are. One of the rules of cinema - show don't tell.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Man I feel like I stepped through a time portal and we’re in the 90’s with people saying how “bad ass” Liefeld characters are because there all about ACTION!

And then you get trash like young blood.

All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

NGL seems kinda weird that some people apparently have to be told that some character SAYING "I'm a badass you know!" is inherently less impressive than SEEING a character be a badass.

Also: actions != action

A character's actions doesn't mean you need action scenes. People can act without jumping and explosions.

Moff Gideon was defeated by the actions of several people. They followed that up by dropping a space ship on him just to make sure. That’s a bad ass villain.

I know what happens to Viglefortz in the books. He did not go down easily. I would at least like to see future seasons go well with him.

action doesn't mean fighting in my sentence, for a moderator you are very rude

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

This is what prequel lovers in Star Wars don't understand. Yoda was a badass in the OT. You didn't need to see him flipping around and spinning and doing lightsaber tricks in the prequels to suddenly declare him badass. You didn't need the Duel of the Fates to see Obi Wan was a badass, he was a badass when he put up his lightsaber and told Darth: "If you strike me down, I will become more powerful."

I didn't start thinking Yoda was a badass til he lifted lukes x-wing from the swamp. Up til then he was a crazy swamp hermit.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    NGL seems kinda weird that some people apparently have to be told that some character SAYING "I'm a badass you know!" is inherently less impressive than SEEING a character be a badass..
    It reminds me when marvel pull dumb shit like, established characters saying "i like him/her", so the audience, should also, like him/her, because this specific chracter does, despite they doing nothing.

In books/movies or any other media, is common, people say "that guy is the shit, he is so strong and blablabla", but you don't give two craps about it, because its just people saying, they need something, to prove that, then you have a scene where the dude kills a fucking dragon, or show up jacked as fuck with scars and one missing eye, waow, now you start to imagine that its indeed strong, because they show that, in his action or with just his presence.

10+ Year Old Account
    Theon didn't think John Wick was badass, until he was.

P.S. Neither did we.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ok so finally watched the last episode of Season 3.

All in all - I was actually more pleased with this "last hurrah" episode than disappointed. I was glad to get one, last, final "big fight" With Cavill as Witcher in his "send off" episode as well as a final exchange of luv with Yenn. That was nice to see.

And the fact that most of the stupid, boring, characters I didn't care about (and couldn't even remember names to) got killed off and the entire plot seems to have gotten retooled with this lower-number of characters and plot points to carry on with in Season 4 - is great!! The way they setup the ones that are left - with specific and clear direction on where/what everyone's heading towards - great! It actually left me hopeful that if we get a Season 4 it could be the "cleanest" yet as far as plot - assuming the plot stays on course and doesn't start wading into meaningless-unimportant-political drama again.

I actually felt better about the plot leading into Season 4 than I have in *any* other season, to date. Loved that the characters got boiled down and simplified. Love that the political plot (at least appears) to have done the same. Now its either "Going to save/find Ciri", "Ciri adventures until that happens", and the leftover-backseat 'war' (that at least is now boiled down to a couple of mages on either side, an Elven queen, and two Kings - and ALL those characters all give their clear intents and motivations in the episode).

So I'm back on the bandwagon of being "ok" with hanging in and watching Season 4 to see how they do with it. Assuming we ever get the season 4 of course. And I'd also, ultimately, be ok if Season 4 never ends up happening.
    Last edited by Koriani; 2023-09-07 at 05:50 PM.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

5+ Year Old Account
    Interview with the writer, n how he was treated by netflix....

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Interview with the writer, n how he was treated by netflix....
    "i Gave them some ideas, but they nevert listen to me" who's this? a writer? there's a nobody"

ahahahaha, you know, this sounds, exactly what it happened.