Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Previously non-diverse universes are getting diversified. It's better for everyone if more cultures can connect with these kinds of genre.
    According to google :
    Quote Originally Posted by Google View Post
    Less than 2% of the world's population have red hair
    That's approximately 140 million people. Scotland boasts the highest percentage of natural redheads, with 13% (40% might carry the gene there) while Ireland comes in second with 10%.

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    Dunno, can you?

It is about little kids. I am also white so I really have no grounds to speak on myself, but from people I have talked to growing up and seeing every single hero in any form of media always the race you are not is a difficult thing. It really is something special for kids of various races to see heroes that look like them. That is honestly the biggest reason it bothers me when people get all upset about fictional characters being changed in ways that are meaningless to the adults watching but could mean a lot to kids.
    Why are you presuming the change is "meaningless to the adults watching" and what gives you the arrogance that changing an already established character for arguably equally meaningless reasons makes it right in your case?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I mean, if you were attracted to her because of her skin color and are now not attracted to an objectively attractive woman because of her (different) skin color, I think that's more on you than the creators of the show.
    What the hell does this even mean.
    Skin color is also part of what makes a woman attractive to some. It's all part of the character together with size, eyes, nose and all the rest of what makes people's tastes in beauty.

This is such a ridiculous statement to shift the blame and while also passively imply some form of racism. Groan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Yes, I think a company should be legally allowed to refuse to serve black people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Right now the left is fact based

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zafire View Post

Some random meme I found on facebook, but it's not wrong. Almost every redhead is getting replaced by a someone dark skinned. It's kind of weird.
    A very flawed meme to be fair. from left to right...

1) Mary Jane, despite her name being MJ, Zendaya isnt Mary Jane, in the movies her name is Michelle Jones, so she just happens to share the MJ moniker and someone made up for the movies only. One of the many weird things about this version of Spider Man. Altohugh to be fair Kirsten Dunst wasnt a very good Mary Jane either :P

2) Olson, is a fair point, but he wasnt replaced, the caption shows the comics and the one on the right shows the TV show, as far as I see Olson is still a red head in the comics. So technically nothing is replaced because it's a different media.

3)I don't know who that middle left one is..,

4)As for Starfire in Titans I could revert you to the Olson argument but I'll mix it up. Anna Diop does have red hair in the series. Plus she is orange skinned which means it can be played by anyone like Zoe Saldana as Gamora from GotG

5) Black or white, no one is going to remember that newer version of Annie, the movie bombed hard. So I think we are safe. But is the only one with a legit argument :P

6) The Little Mermaid's hair was never specified in the Hans Christian Andersen book, but illustration of the time say she was brunette, there have also been blonde and white haired variations to many adaptations. So if anything Little Mermaid is just making itself through variations at this point. The only reason people are triggered was because people only know of the Disney animated movie.

At the end of the day these are all just different interpretations. Original media from which we love our red heads from still exists, and will continue to exist. Mary Jane will always be a read head, and so will Jimmy Olson.
    Last edited by Orby; 2019-07-20 at 10:24 AM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    A very flawed meme to be fair. from left to right....
    Middle left is Barry Allen's wife.

People are Little Mermaid triggered because it was an unnecessary retcon. Also as a Danish story from the 1830s, I don't think there were many darker-skinned folks there at that time.

But yea...the trailer for the Witcher series makes it look like absolute garbage.
    VOTING IS MOB RULE AND MOB RULE IS MEDIA RULE AND
    MEDIA RULE IS CORPORATE RULE

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Axxil View Post
    Middle left is Barry Allen's wife.
    So it's the same as Jimmy Olson. Different interpretation different media.

People are Little Mermaid triggered because it was an unnecessary retcon. Also as a Danish story from the 1830s, I don't think there were many darker-skinned folks there at that time.

But yea...the trailer for the Witcher series makes it look like absolute garbage.
    And in the cartoon they were all american, except for Sebastian he was french... even more confusing lol. Would it have spared them to have one danish cast member :P

Also I am not sure what the ratio of red heads are in Denmark, if we are to assume that the Mermaid and her people are all Danish...
    Last edited by Orby; 2019-07-20 at 10:20 AM.

The trailer is so-so, though its good to see them focus more on the monsters and less on the drama. I hope they don't hold back on the gore and violence.

And in the cartoon they were all american, except for Sebastian he was french... even more confusing lol. Would it have spared them to have one danish cast member :P
    True, they were a mix of American and English voice actors, but the drawn characters were indistinguishable from Danish people. Sebastian was Jamaican to go with the tropical underwater theme.

They also gender-swapped Buddy Hackett's Scuttle.

Also reportedly there will be none of the original musical numbers. If it goes the same way as Lion King where Beyonce ruins most of the movie maybe Disney will stop remaking classics that just end up upsetting everyone.

if color and diversity is so important, why cant they create new superheroes or whatever, why do they have to change already existing ones?

10+ Year Old Account
    True, they were a mix of American and English voice actors, but the drawn characters were indistinguishable from Danish people. Sebastian was Jamaican to go with the tropical underwater theme.

They also gender-swapped Buddy Hackett's Scuttle.

Also reportedly there will be none of the original musical numbers. If it goes the same way as Lion King where Beyonce ruins most of the movie maybe Disney will stop remaking classics that just end up upsetting everyone.
    holy shit my bad. It's because the name Sebastian french so I wrote french lol. So an American animated film of a Dutch book, with a french named crab with a Jamaican accent. lol

But yea. I agree the Little Mermaid movie will probably suck as I also haven't liked a single one of the live action remakes, which makes people getting mad about it seem kind of pointless.

holy shit my bad. It's because the name Sebastian french so I wrote french lol. So an American animated film of a Dutch book, with a french named crab with a Jamaican accent. lol

But yea. I agree the Little Mermaid movie will probably suck as I also haven't liked a single one of the live action remakes, which makes people getting mad about it seem kind of pointless.
    It's because the classics are just that, classics that shouldn't be touched in any shape or form other than MAYBE a remaster.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by apelsinjuice View Post
    if color and diversity is so important, why cant they create new superheroes or whatever, why do they have to change already existing ones?
    THIS.

This is also a big deal. Someone in another post pointed out that in the case of the Little Mermaid, instead of, ya know...creating a new princess (or prince for the PC people) that is Black, they basically give out a hand-me-down that helps neither groups of people.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's because the classics are just that, classics that shouldn't be touched in any shape or form other than MAYBE a remaster.
    I am fine with remakes as long as they do something different with them. The biggest problems with the live actions remakes is there is no risks, its a shot for shot safe remake. As much as I didn't like the Dumbo remake, at least that tried to be different.

But we are getting off topic, this is a Witcher thread. I am sure there's a Disney thread we can take this too :P

But we are getting off topic, this is a Witcher thread :P
    It shouldn't be happening.

10+ Year Old Account
    Andrzej Sapkowski says differently, :P

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    Source?

That's... a couple of lies right there. The english version of the books released the same year as the game, in 2007. Same goes for the German version. While I cannot find an exact release date for the book, the Game released on the 30th of October in the US. It took some time to gain attention, and it also takes time to translate a book, find a publisher, print, distribute, etc. The first Witcher game, while still a good game, also by far didn't have the same attention that the second, let alone the third game got. The first material from the Witcher Universe was translated back in 2000, when it was still titled 'The Hexer' - see the Chosen by Fate book.

So, no. The game was not the reason the books were translated.

Also: What is this graphic supposed to tell us?

It doesn't cite what was sold. I assume it is supposed to be the Witcher books? OR just one of the books? Or an anthology of the books?

In any case, should it be the books, would you please show the entire release history of it, and not start at a random interval 5 years after it's release? People might think you're trying to skewer facts. Thank you!

Oh, and a link to where you got that graphic from would be swell as well
    You're nuts if you think there's any chance there'd be a Hollywood adaptation of these books without the games. As a matter of fact I don't even think there'd be an adaptation were it not for the 3rd game solely. A relatively obscure book, only moderately famous in Poland does not a convincing hollywood pitch make.

The games, especially the 3rd one boosted book sales astronomically, add to that, the game has pushed CD project red into the fame stratosphere, hauling in huge profits, celebrity status, making it an entertainment juggernaut being able to pull names like Keanu Reeves and Henry Cavill.

Anyone that knows anything about how producers select projects to put money into will know that the witcher tv adaptation is happening now for a reason; that reason did not exist prior to the games, specifically game 3's massive success.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Trailer didn't blow me away, but I'm more hyped for series than before. Few things I noticed (I read all books around Witcher 2 release):

- we will have Yennefer origin story from hunchback to lady we know today
    - it's not illusion as some people say, it's full (and really painful - I think we saw glimpse on trailer) and pernament
    - we will see isle when Mages train that we first read about in 4th book
    - story will contain first two books (short stories) - probably there will be some changes to make overall story more coherent - Polish series tried to to that as well (but they changed WAY too much), but for sure we will see Pavetta outburst, Ciri at Brokilon and first Nilfgaard invasion (in Witcher 3 we saw third one) and maybe Blaviken massacre
    - Ciri will be older than in book (10-12 vs 16?) and she will seek Geralt, so they meeting won't be coincind.. I mean destiny like in books
    - battle was probably Sodden or Cintra invasion.

Last edited by Dracullus; 2019-07-20 at 10:48 AM.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I liked the trailer, really feels like they're been faithful to the books andd the game, I know I certanly got that really characteristic Witcher vibe by watching it !

Can't wait

Just saw the teaser, looks pretty decent actually.

Trailer did what it needed to do .. not completely turn me off from it all. I still don't know what the hell is the reason for the scrotum armour but the other stuff looked good. By the looks of it we might even get a bit of Yen's backstory and how many/most sorceresses are picked from disfigured and ugly people that later change themsleves via alchemy and magic. Extra points for using the witcher lore to that degree. Too bad there wasn't much about the monsters in it, that will be one of the critical things to make fights believable or not. They also seem to be aware of the fact that the witcher is not just about slaying monsters or banging hot chicks, there is usually a heavy underlying political plot as well and seeing Geralt in festive clothes goes to show how he usually is dragged there besides hating it .

/cautiously optimistic

if anyone is wondering differences between character design

10+ Year Old Account
    Trailer was pretty bad, my worst fear is that they're going to try to do all the 8 books in one season, thus having to completely focus on the overarching plot with ciri, and leave out any sort of world building and character interraction