10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't watched it yet but I noticed there's no dub option for Polish. Kinda disappointing for Polish people considerring The Witcher is made by a Polish company.

7+ Year Old Account
    Hur dur people who´re complaining of taking a white char and making it black are racists but the other way arrounds it´s totally ok bcs "DIVERSITY FUCK YEAH".

There were no black elves in the books and no blacks but fuck that we´re a americna company, we have to add our shitty "diversity" ideas into it bcs DIVERSITY...

Watched the whole thing on on one sit.

It's...nice to watch but they could do way better.

If you saw the compilation of the the last 3 witcher games in-game cutscenes (especially the wild hunt) you'll ser what I'm talking about. Those are like...blizzard level cinematics, and fan wanted a warcraft CGI movie (instead of the trash we eventually got) for years.

I believe casting should have been more game-loyal. Ciri and triss especially, geralt is fine, and yenn is ok but not game-yenn level.

Some big lore is missing,or been assumed to be known by audiance (which isn't always the case)..potions come to mind, and where's geralt 2(!) Swords?(one monsteres, the other one? That's for monsters too).

My own opinion:
    Make it more books loyal (story telling), game loyal (casting and cinematily), make it longer...8 episodes SLOWLY progressing. Just about it for me.

- - - Updated - - -

Also...the nudity in most parts were..unnessecery and felt like netflix trying to copy HBO. Yennefer is more than a naked hot body, it's actually her character,power and life experiance who made her such an interesting character.
    Last edited by leorana; 2019-12-23 at 06:07 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jiih View Post
    do many racists in this forum
    You very obviously have zero idea what racism actually is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

I watched it last night and couldn’t stop till it was over. Loved it, need more..

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Industrial heart of the USSR... now torn apart
    The show creators have stated very clearly that TV show adaptation of the books is separate from game adaptation of the books. Y'all should forget about "game loyalty" barring an easter egg or two.

Also, I agree with posters who said Nilfgaard was shown far from perfectly in the show. Well, it's only 1st season guys, they'll fix it in a future patch, er, I mean, uh...

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    /random musings. I literally just watched a video where commented claims that the reason why critics dislike the show is becasue its "not woke enough". meanwhile in this very thread, there are people who are complaining that its "too woke"
    It's much closer to "not woke enough". With the exception of two superprivileged women complaining how oppressed they are, there's pretty much nothing that felt "woke" in the entire season. People here complaining about "too woke" are, I bet, all non-Americans complaining about casting choices, which seem perfectly natural to someone from USA or other colonial power but weird to someone from say Poland - lots of African-Americans and zero East Asians in this show. As I said in my yesterday's post, it's not wokeness, it's just cultural differences.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    Africa is literally closer to europe than america? You can see Africa from Europe lol
    But I didnt mention Asia? I was referring to the whole spiel about America and African Americans
    I couldn't quite follow your thought here. I briefly mentioned how Africans got to America - they were purchased in their homeland and transported over the "a body of water" by their new owners. Europe was completely irrelevant to that - the show was made in the USA. But, had it been created in Russia or Korea, it wouldn't have African-American actors except for characters from Zerrikania and Ofir, and probably non-zero Asians - that was my point of entire second half of my post you quoted and replied to.

I dunno just poking holes in the idea that having black people in europe was unfathomable. Anyone in like the last 30,000 years could have hoped in a boat and sailed to europe from africa or vice versa and they did.
    Eh, sorry to nitpick, people who could (and would historically) travel by boat from Africa to Europe were Berbers and Arabs. According to the stupid division into 3 races, Berbers and Arabs are both "Caucasians". Sub-saharan ("black") Africans never discovered seafaring and could not travel to Europe on their own until late XIX or even XX century.

So, if your initial point was that there were "black people in europe", well, historically no there weren't, not until colonialism era was pretty much over. There were black people in Americas (because slavery was allowed there), but not in Europe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    It's not 2004. People have lives, jobs, families etc

Quote Originally Posted by jiih View Post
    do many racists in this forum
    It does seem a rather unusually high point of contention - a dislike for a character because the race was switched.

It's not a big deal for me, if the actor does a great job, it justifies the casting regardless of the motive. Although I do find it silly w hen casts intentioonally choose different ethnicities for historical based shows that would have been 100% one race in reality.

Still, for fictional works, it's all fiction, and this I say to the rest of the posters here. Don't let other people give you reasons to be angry or hate things disporpotinately.

- - - Updated - - -

oh and I watched the first 20 mins of the witcher and got bored

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The real racism is when you inject a specific race into a show that should have none of that race - for the sole purpose of having said race in it. That's racist.

The black actors performed their roles. I have no complaints.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

I liked it, although i wouldn't say i was a massive witcher fan, I do enjoy these high fantasy settings, i've never read the books, the first game is super vague to me and i can't remember the story at all i think it was about geralt trying to find yenn but it was so long ago, the second game was about foltest being assassinated which ended on a sort of cliff hanger. the tv show is more like a pre-quel to the 3rd game maybe. ill admit that watching geralt and ciri wander around trying to find one another is almost exactly what the 3rd game spends most of its story line on. I think cavill makes a good geralt, hes probably a little younger and not as rugged as he is in video game form. but i think hes got geralts mannerisms down pat. hes pretty damn super close to video game geralt.

the tv show did a lot of flashbacks without much warning so at certain points it was like watching pulp fiction.
    like hold on a second didn't that lady die last episode 'oh right this must be a flash back'.

i think for me it probably filled in on some story that i didn't know or glossed over like for example how geralt ended up with ciri, in the witcher 3 shes given to him by the king? or a king, i can't even remember why he did that, from what i remember they didn't like one another (the king and geralt), i suppose it happened differently in the books. at least it made a bit more sense in the tv show. and showed how they were linked, I don't remember there being much explanation for this in the game, i thought it was mostly paternal through the time lapse that happens and the years of training at kaer morhen. the game mostly just skips to older ciri. i don't remember anything about the law of surprise or ciri's parents i'm pretty sure this isn't in w3. its possible i heard something and forgot or again glossed over details, suffice to say, it happened differently in w3, so this was refreshing in a way.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2019-12-23 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    /random musings. I literally just watched a video where commented claims that the reason why critics dislike the show is becasue its "not woke enough".
    The reasoning problem there being you believing what some random dude claims he knows some critics are thinking.

As someone who works professionally with Science Fiction and Fantasy criticism on an academic level, the problem is, in my experience, usually far simpler than that. People aren't used to genre conventions, and have little experience with the genre in general. That not only colors their interpretation, but also affects their interest. They miss plot points that fans find obvious (even without prior knowledge of materials), and they generally tend to give less importance to certain factors (like CGI, lore adherence, etc.) and more to others (especially "mainstream" factors like character development etc.).

That's not to say there aren't critics who can go past those biases, or there aren't critics who are fans, or that critics are automatically wrong, or that there AREN'T critics who went "this shit not woke, lame", of course. But many of the film critics I've read talked about The Witcher in ways that, to me, spoke of a certain degree of genre inexperience. Which is fine. Film critics have to evaluate everything from Lion King to Lost in Translation to the L Word. It's hard. I couldn't write criticism worth a damn about Victorian novels, either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Loved it.

Went in with minimal expectations and complained about casting before watching anything.

But this was great, may be a bit confusing if you haven't played the game before. I thought it was completely obvious we were in different timelines, if you've played the game you should know he got the butcher title a long time ago, and with Yenn, we know she's been a witch long before Ciri was born.

Only real issue I have is Triss, completely different character.

The bard grew on me, still not overly keen.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynep View Post
    The show creators have stated very clearly that TV show adaptation of the books is separate from game adaptation of the books. Y'all should forget about "game loyalty" barring an easter egg or two.

Also, I agree with posters who said Nilfgaard was shown far from perfectly in the show. Well, it's only 1st season guys, they'll fix it in a future patch, er, I mean, uh...

It's much closer to "not woke enough". With the exception of two superprivileged women complaining how oppressed they are, there's pretty much nothing that felt "woke" in the entire season. People here complaining about "too woke" are, I bet, all non-Americans complaining about casting choices, which seem perfectly natural to someone from USA or other colonial power but weird to someone from say Poland - lots of African-Americans and zero East Asians in this show. As I said in my yesterday's post, it's not wokeness, it's just cultural differences.

- - - Updated - - -

I couldn't quite follow your thought here. I briefly mentioned how Africans got to America - they were purchased in their homeland and transported over the "a body of water" by their new owners. Europe was completely irrelevant to that - the show was made in the USA. But, had it been created in Russia or Korea, it wouldn't have African-American actors except for characters from Zerrikania and Ofir, and probably non-zero Asians - that was my point of entire second half of my post you quoted and replied to.

Eh, sorry to nitpick, people who could (and would historically) travel by boat from Africa to Europe were Berbers and Arabs. According to the stupid division into 3 races, Berbers and Arabs are both "Caucasians". Sub-saharan ("black") Africans never discovered seafaring and could not travel to Europe on their own until late XIX or even XX century.

So, if your initial point was that there were "black people in europe", well, historically no there weren't, not until colonialism era was pretty much over. There were black people in Americas (because slavery was allowed there), but not in Europe.
    There definitely were black people in Medieval Europe (and before then, basically from antiquity on). There are more than enough portraits of black people at the time. There weren't a LOT, but they were around.

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    There definitely were black people in Medieval Europe (and before then, basically from antiquity on). There are more than enough portraits of black people at the time. There weren't a LOT, but they were around.
    But the black people were in European countries that were ports to the sea where ships sailed to and from Africa. You wouldn't have found black people in fucking Northern and Eastern Europe.

as a long fan of Witcher books ...

holy jezusbatman how they butchered the story :/

so many things got so twisted to the point that story just barely keeps it together :/

i could forgive random time jumps..... if they didnt happen every 5 minutes without a single time stamp on screen.

i get it - sometimes show needs to show several actions taking place at the same time - but jumping between action taking place currently / few years ago / 30 years ago / undetermined years ago etc etc in the same episode only to show "Stronk womans" is like .....

also black triss ? ..... not touching this even to not be banned for rasist - but one thing is for sure - the multiculturalism quota achieved -_- black fringilla ? ..... those characters have such a good descriptions in books ...

the only thing that keeps this series are fight scenes ... and Henrys Cavill "fucks" because the story got brutalised to push SWJ agenda :/

such a dissapointent in 1 week - both Star Wars episode 9 and witcher series are just pushing original stories to be garbage :/

hope it wont get reneved for season 2 because reall dont want to see the next 5 tomes of saga geting the same treatment :/ let me guess who will be next - black vesemir ? -_- black emil regies ? -_- f... why not after all gotta fill up multiculturalism quota and to hell with books eh -_-

actually f... yes - lets hope for black emil regies because the memes woudl be legendary -_-
    Last edited by kamuimac; 2019-12-23 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    hope it wont get reneved for season 2
    Already been renewed for a second season so feels bad for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Great Destiny Man View Post
    Already been renewed for a second season so feels bad for you.
    what youshould feel bad for are original books and story of A. Sapkowski - because they will butcher it again to twist it to SWJ agenda.

10+ Year Old Account
    what youshould feel bad for are original books and story of A. Sapkowski - because they will butcher it again to twist it to SWJ agenda.
    Pretty sure your books will remain unchanged for you to read again.

Loved it overall. Even though i was skeptical, Cavil absolutely nailed it as Gerald. Others (no, not you Triss) were fine too.
    It didnt need all that blatantly forced diversity bs, but it didnt lessen my enjoyment.

I have no idea why so many complain about the time jumps. After a couple of episodes it became obvious and it was an interesting touch for me. There was no need for further timeline explanations.

My biggest criticism was the use of magic. It was so damn inconsistent and not really explained whats possible.
    Only Frangilla somewhat used it smart. Vilgeforth for example just portals in and then starts meleeing the Nilfgard guy. Why doesn't he just "crack/magic choke etc" him as it wasn't shown that Cahir has any magic capabilities.
    No idea why it is so hard to create a barely logical battle scene. The last episode was GoT levels of bad in terms of battle tactics. Sniping useless magic rocks, cmon.

Your "anti SJW" crusade is meaningless to me. Whether the casting doesn't fit the source material perfectly is not some world shattering issue, if it's a good watch that's all that matters.

I think some ppl might just be closeted racists and they don't know it.

its fine to point out that certain characters aren't what they are in the books, but to go as far as to say there is some sort of agenda (beyond equal opportunities) and that its ruining something. all in your mind.

I'm sure there is more to what goes into casting for a show than to just stick to the source material and throw any bunch of white actors together and get instant chemistry. more like they screen test until something works. not only that but they obviously have to go with who they can afford, and who is actually interested in being in the show.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2019-12-23 at 12:12 PM.