7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    Wouldnt that spoil the read?
    not always for me, like i said i have ocd, sometimes i spoil myself to see if i would like the series or not, i end up getting rly pissed with some conclusions/ends, or some authors moves before, then i like to know
    Last edited by Syegfryed; 2019-12-30 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    actually what they are doing is reverse rasism.

not using correct colour of skin actors for role X just because of diversity quota.

blackwashing is real thing.

same as atacking men just because they are men and wanting to promote strong women which backfires terribly in 2018 and 2019 and all films which tried it ended up as complete flops.

because guess what - women also go to cinemas to watch handsome sexy male leads - not their own sex.
    It's real in your head. Triss is 90% of described as in the books. Triss in the games is 30% of what she's desribed as in the books. And still people are okey with that because she's white, sexy and redhead.

This IS racism, and not "Blackwashing". You're an idiot and some day you'll wake up and realize you're just fueling the racism with your idiotic hate towards absolutely nothing.

Discussing forbidden topics isn't allowed. Infracted.
    Last edited by Faltemer; 2019-12-30 at 03:31 PM.

What is the difference between diversity and "forced" diversity? @Syegfryed
    Una melodía tocada por las cuerdas de nuestras almas,
    y el ritmo que nos sacudió hasta el hueso

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jstnw89 View Post
    like making changes just for the sake of it, that include changing characters

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    not always for me, like i said i have ocd, sometimes i spoil myself to see if i would like the series or not, i end up getting rly pissed with some conclusions/ends, or some authors moves before, then i like to know
    Yes he grows into his powers

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

10+ Year Old Account
    the premise sounds good, i read the synopsis and find it dope, but since i have some serious problems does he learn to use the furies at all? or never use then
    It has been awhile since I read Codex Alera but from what I recall he doesn't gain the ability to use furies, at least not in the same way other characters do. The series is much more about how he uses his strategic mind and cleverness to overcome and outwit his opponents. It's about how he uses his perceived weakness to his advantage to best those who rely on simple power over tactics.

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    actually what they are doing is reverse rasism.

not using correct colour of skin actors for role X just because of diversity quota.

blackwashing is real thing.
    Gotta love how if someone has any amount of non-white in their heritage, that's automatically all they are. Let's just completely ignore at least half of her background. Nope, she has slightly darker than white skin and curly hair. She must be black.

Honestly, the person I feel the worst for is Anna herself. Here she likely thought she scored this decent role in a highly anticipated series only for loads of people to give he shit for it online because she doesn't perfectly match the look of a video game character a bunch of loners were wanking their pickles over.

Quote Originally Posted by Askyl View Post
    It's real in your head. Triss is 90% of described as in the books. Triss in the games is 30% of what she's desribed as in the books. And still people are okey with that because she's white, sexy and redhead.

This IS racism, and not "Blackwashing". You're an idiot and some day you'll wake up and realize you're just fueling the racism with your idiotic hate towards absolutely nothing.
    so just because people are turned on by slim white redheads they are rasists ?

ok gotta love internet society ad 2019

Discussing forbidden topics isn't allowed. Infracted.
    Last edited by Faltemer; 2019-12-30 at 03:29 PM.

like making changes just for the sake of it, that include changing characters
    I rather enjoy the show so far (haven't finished), what about the story was lost / affected by the changes?
    Una melodía tocada por las cuerdas de nuestras almas,
    y el ritmo que nos sacudió hasta el hueso

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    It has been awhile since I read Codex Alera but from what I recall he doesn't gain the ability to use furies, at least not in the same way other characters do. The series is much more about how he uses his strategic mind and cleverness to overcome and outwit his opponents. It's about how he uses his perceived weakness to his advantage to best those who rely on simple power over tactics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    Yes he grows into his powers
    im sold by both answers, i will even stop what im reading know to go for this one

Honestly, the person I feel the worst for is Anna herself. Here she likely thought she scored this decent role in a highly anticipated series only for loads of people to give he shit for it online because she doesn't perfectly match the look of a video game character a bunch of loners were wanking their pickles over.
    yep, she did a good job even not being that much relevant, but i do think they should have expect that, maybe a little bit of hair dye and the blue eyes could solve a lot of problems like with Yen, i honestly at first, thought Renfri was Triss

that said, they like changed fringila 180° but she also did a goof job imo, and nobodies cares because she was not that important in the games

- - - Updated - - -

I rather enjoy the show so far (haven't finished), what about the story was lost / affected by the changes?
    i did enjoy too, but like i said its bring unnecessary conflict, with people who are not even the opposites in this matter, i an't what was changed in the story but sure change for the view/fans

10+ Year Old Account
    Diversity is when a tv show/movie is created from the grounds up to include a diverse cast, without altering the original characters (in case of adaptations).

How they could have done this for Witcher? Well easy, introduce new characters that aren't in the books, make them the appropriate in-universe ethnicity and give them a reason to be in these parts of the world. Yeah you'd have some people complaining that it's not in the books but you get those anyhow.

Instead they chose the forced diversity route, where they take pre-existing characters and changed them for the sake of it.

Now personally I don't mind a bit of forced diversity when it comes to big name actors, like how they did Shawshank Redemption, with Red being played by Morgan Freeman, coz cmon, it's Morgan Freeman.

But when you take a series of Eastern European origins based in a fictional eastern europe with eastern europe demographics, and you see more than a couple of people are black, and some of them in positions of power, yeah kinda ruins the authenticity for me a bit. Not enough that I would rate the show lower but enough to make me chuckle a few times, especially at that elf kid that helped Ciri.

7+ Year Old Account
    Sure! I can toss out a few recommendations for you. As a side note, I pretty much consume all novels as audiobooks these days as a big part of my job involves lots of driving and I find listening to audiobooks to be a great way to pass the time on long drives so I will also point out any that have really good audiobooks. Up until recently, I was much more of a Sci-Fi guy than a Fantasy guy so I will include recommendations for both. In no particular order, with Goodreads links (to the first book in the series as these are all a part of multiple book series) for more info:

The Riyria Revelations by Michael J. Sullivan (LINK): Really solid fantasy series with a great pair of main characters. This was the first series I thought of since it is a pretty easy read since it is made up of six parts where each part stands on it's own while also being parts of a larger story. The audiobooks are also great and read by my favorite audiobook reader, Tim Gerard Reynolds.

The Reckoners by Brandon Sanderson (LINK): Since I stated reading fantasy, Sanderson has quickly become one of my favorite authors. This series is a little different than his usual stuff as it is a superhero story, not fantasy, but it still shows off Sanderson's amazing talent for creating interesting worlds. A three part series where each part once again stands on it's own while also making up a larger story. Pretty easy read but it is loads of fun.

Threadbare by Andrew Seiple (LINK): This was my first introduction to a genre I had no idea existed called LitRPG. The idea is it is a fantasy series where Role Playing Game tropes and mechanics are an integral part of the story. So things like a character's class, stats, and abilities as well as things like loot and quests are all a part of the plot of the series. Even among LitRPG stories, Threadbare is a unique one as the main character is actually a teddy bear brought to life. It really is unlike anything else I have read.

Red Rising by Pierce Brown (LINK): Just a great series of modern fantasy. It is a long running series and is still ongoing, but it is very much a character driven series so while there are elements that carry on from book to book, it is mostly a series of stand alone adventures that all just star the same character. It is about a wizard for hire working in modern day Chicago and all the various supernatural cases he comes across. Easy, fun read with a great main character. This series as well has great audiobook read by James Marsters who nails the character of Harry Dresden. I will say that the first couple of books, while not bad in any way, are not as great as the series gets. By book three is really where it starts to become really good.

That should get you started, if you want some more recommendations just shoot me a PM and I will give you some more. Enjoy!
    Hm your last link isn´t working and don´t you mean "The Dresden Files" by Jim Butcher, at least that´s what i got from your description of the series but it´s not the titel you wrote nor the author.

Out of curiosity, what exactly did they change that makes you feel so strongly that they ruined the series so badly?
    So i watched it all. Boy it was painfull to watch.

There will be spoilers regarding books so...

Firstly - magic dont work like that at all in witcher universe. There are no polymophed girls into eels to give power to Aretuza. The principle of magic is that you take the power of element (water, earth, air or fire) and use it to create effect. There is no restriction, you can heal with when taken fire element and nuke when using water. The fire is most powerfull and most wild, it was forbidden to Ciri to use fire magic BUT ONLY BECAUSE SHE WAS NOVICE. Not because some shit rules that fire magic is forbidden. It may sound like minor thing but it was really, really clearly explained couple of times in the books, most prominently when Yennefer was teaching Ciri. And magic was important for a couple of scenes in the books - most notably Ciri healing unicorn in the desert using fire.

Second - mages DID not send envoys or advisors to Nilfgaard. That would be death sentence. Magic in Nilfgaard was cut short when Emhyr got the throne, he distrust both magic and mages (rightfully so) and kept them on a very, very short and barbed leash. There were still mages, astrologians, alchemists etc but mostly really, really weak. Fringilla Vigo was sorceress sent from Nilfgaard to Touissant because there were diplomatic connections between those. Fringilla was Nilfgaardian and not some chick from Aretuza. She was also not some uber powerfull, godlike being we see in series. That was so hilarious to watch in a bad way.

Third - Yennefer was not special. She was not some strong conduit of chaos. Actually, most of the other sorceress were above her in power in the books. Francesca Findabair, Tissaia de Vries, Filipa Eilhart etc. She was archmaster but there were huge differences in powers at that stage. Hell, Vilgefortz basically threat her like personall chewing toy WHILE using other hand to put down witcher for extended period of time and he was not even archmaster. But to be frank, Vilgefortz was just sneaky and cunning bastard so he propably didnt wasnt to let know how much he is powerfull.

Fourth - Ciri didnt have magical scream powers. She was a Source. She got wild talent which was moving thorugh time and space. She used that, unwillingly, to escape Cahir captivity if i recall correctly. And to be frank, we can just cut the entire Ciri plotline from the series because that is pure fanfiction at this point. Elf boy, magical scream, Cahir chasing her through enemy teritory etc. Nothing like that happend in the books. While the elf boy COULD happen (we dont actually see Ciri on the run, we meet her after that) everything else was plain wrong...

Oh she was also a prophetess but that was her being used because as a Source she was like open doors for chaos.

Fifth - Eithe wanted to make Dryad from Ciri. That what Waters from Brokillon were for. They transformed ordinary girls into mind wiped Dryads. Also, Dryads liked elves and genereally helped them. Charge free. They didnt put magical hades water into them. And Ciri was immune to water, instead she spewed prophecies. And Geralt meet her there for the first time.
    Also, Dryad using a fucking crossbow is something akin to Batman using Wolverine claws to fight enemies...

Sixt - Cahir was not general of entire fucking expeditionary force. She was a knight and therefore got a couple people below him. He got a special mission to capture Cirila WHILE sacking Cintra. Nobody else knew about it, it was fucking secret. And he was quickly put into chains for years after his failure in Cintra. He was more akin to special forces guy.

Seventh - Battle for Sodden was a giant battle that pushed Nilgaard forces and was triumphant moment for the Northern Kingdoms because they stood united for the first time since the invasion. The Brotherhood, united by Vilgefortz stoped bickering and joined the armies to battle. BATTLE not a fucking skirmish in defense of villagers like budget 7th samurais. And with actual armies clashing together ON TOP of mages supporting both sides.
    Yennefer was blind after that, Triss was scared on chest and it is implied she was victim of a fireball or something because she was bald, and the only person who new her and could recognize her was Yen, who was blind. Triss is the famous thirteen from hill, because there are thriteen graves of mages but only twelve bodies.

Eight - Mousesack was not killed by a fucking doppler being used as a special spy to lure Ciri from Brokiloon. Nilfgaard would exterminate him on sight like all teh monsters. They didnt like them either.

Nine - Nilgaards was not fanatical zealots united by the awesome White Flame. White Flame dancing on the Graves of His Enemies was the propaganda name given to Emhyr and basically only that. Pure propaganda. He didnt start religon of somesort...

Tenth - There was no war on elves. Elves lived side by side with humans. There was a war in the past, when young elves go to war because human bad, tree good and were obliterated. There is racism in witcher universe but, in the short stories it was not as much prevailed because there were no Squirrels YET. Sure, they didnt like each other that much (humans, dwarfs, halflings and elves) but they were NOT hostile to each other. There were elves hiding in the mountains, akin to rebels but were mostly a nuissance like brigands. Nothing serious or major.

There is more but my brain is hurting from pain. Basically the characters are out of place, they have adventures they didnt have, they use powers they dont have, they kill characters that are alive in the books and basically change events, outcomes and everything in between. They keep MAJOR elements like Ciri journey is Cintra, Woods, Refugee Camp, Brokiloon, Farm but change everything in between. And even those places. There are dialogs and scenes, and even entire stories - Last Wish or Lesser Evil - ripped straight from the books.

It is like they read a single word or sentence like "Magic is chaos" from the source material and then build everything on that out off context sentence.

Just saw the 1e season, and i liked it alot.
    I have to say i did not play the games so i dont know if the series is fatefull to the source material but as a TV series i liked it.

Only issue i had was the CGI of the monsters they looked pretty bad, when i think about a dragon i dont see the creature that was used in the show.
    Also saw that they casted actors that dont look any way like the character what pretty mutch fits the 2019 agenda but atleast you did not feel the Woke/SJW stuff in the show.

I was never bored and was happy with the show so i hope that the show will kick off and get alot of seasons after this one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabrotar View Post
    Hm your last link isn´t working and don´t you mean "The Dresden Files" by Jim Butcher, at least that´s what i got from your description of the series but it´s not the titel you wrote nor the author.
    Wow, I really messed up with that post. Yeah, that description is for Desden Files, but I some how deleted both the link for it and the description for the series I meant to post about there, Red Rising (LINK) which is a bummer because Red Rising is by far my favorite series I read over the past 5+ years. An amazing sci-fi series with some heavy fantasy elements especially in the first book.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Even better than the show itself however, is reading how all the mouth-breathers got triggered over black people in "muh medieval fantasy". I couldn't have asked for better Christmas present.
    Sounds like you got issues.

Personally I really liked it, I think it will only get better in the next season. I didn't really mind the casting choices because I thought they were decent actors and didn't detract from the story.

One of the only things I didn't like, like a lot of people, was the abrupt shifting in time from one scene to the next, I agree it probably could have been solved with a caption on the screen.

Also, I felt Yennefer's character development was a bit of a whirlwind and it left me feeling like I didn't fully believe her motivations at all. I'll probably give the season another watch and see if I was just missing something.

15+ Year Old Account
    Loved every moment of it. But wanted to see even one Igni. Even lighting a candle would have done it for me :P

But shouldn't Triss be a redhead? Or is she not a redhead in the books?

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    When people call it "the Poor man's GoT" or "GoT for stupid people", cuz GoT is soooooo intelligent, I instantly know to raise my expectations. No reviewers worth taking seriously would use such absolutes when they could judge it by its own merits.

Since I'm just not sleeping tonight, I'mma start watching it now.
    GoT is for stupid people. It's fantasy genre for normies, particularly seasons 5-8. HBO did well to satisfy fantasy nerds while luring in the normies with dragons and tits.

The Witcher was enjoyable, not without it's flaws, and somewhat confusing to someone who hasn't read the books or played the games.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aliven View Post
    There are no polymophed girls into eels to give power to Aretuza.
    rly? thats messed up

Not because some shit rules that fire magic is forbidden.
    yep it didn't make much sense of why fire magic would be forbidded when Yen himself used, maybe it was a mistake, and they were talking about "demonic fire" or the one who use your own body, like they did.

Second - mages DID not send envoys or advisors to Nilfgaard. That would be death sentence. Magic in Nilfgaard was cut short when Emhyr got the throne, he distrust both magic and mages (rightfully so) and kept them on a very, very short and barbed leash. There were still mages, astrologians, alchemists etc but mostly really, really weak. Fringilla Vigo was sorceress sent from Nilfgaard to Touissant because there were diplomatic connections between those. Fringilla was Nilfgaardian and not some chick from Aretuza. She was also not some uber powerfull, godlike being we see in series. That was so hilarious to watch in a bad way.
    i guess it was to adapt better in the context of the small series

Third - Yennefer was not special.
    she was the "main protagonist" she had to be... they put some shenanigans of elf thing, not necessary indeed

Fourth - Ciri didnt have magical scream powers.
    i think this is how she used her power when she scream, not necessary her scream was magical

the rest was prob because they want to cut things to get the arc done, with some "original" thing, they always do that with adaptations, i don't think thy were so sure it would make success to go for a second, but since it did, they may start giving more to the book

Like, at least it was not Percy Jakcson/Death note level of adaptation

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Th3Scourge View Post
    GoT is for stupid people. It's fantasy genre for normies,
    i never stop to think about it, but seems like you are dead on, many people i know who are die hard fans, mostly college colegues, are indeed normies, who don't read/like other fantasy things

GoT in the early seasons were for fantasy fans who were tired of the tropes of fantasy, and wanted something that stretched the "princess in the castle" boundaries a little. That's what the books have always been, you don't need to read past A Feast for Crows (a book so-called "normies" hate which I think is rather brilliant) to see GRRM likes to dwell in the realism-ishness of his world.

Seasons 5-8 are literally awful. You can see the downturn immediately once they get past the written material. The last scene in the latest book is Arya going blind in the House of Black and White. In the series, this happens near the end of s4. The last episode (e10) which generally served as a denouement for the TV series, you have Arya and The Girl turn into Terminators doing chase scenes through Braavos, and then Jaqen Hagar just shrugging it off so Arya can go back to Westeros without any consequences, and then magicking her way into Walder's castle to kill him. It's fucking horrifyingly bad. Not that anything or anyone ever cared about Walder Frey and his whole family tree dying in the series....I guess that wouldn't have a massive fallout for literally the kingdom right smack dab in the middle of the 7 Kingdoms.