Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    Now that the previous trailer/teaser exploded with dislikes, the made sure to put Geralt fighting/doing witcher stuff in almost half the trailer to bait people, cause we know those are going the be the only fight scenes in the entire season, hard pass.

The monster CGI i think its fine, but that fire, holy shit was bad.
    Reminds me of Joel from The Last of Us Pt. 2 and the trailers where they faked his involvement in the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    I read the source material - i.e. Michael Moorcock's Eternal Hero series (especially Elric of Melnibone a.k.a. White Wolf). Your argument is invalid.
    Who is that moorcock guy anyways and why does he matter?

Quote Originally Posted by Matumba View Post
    Who is that moorcock guy anyways and why does he matter?
    I hate to say it and especially in reply to a new account... but Elrik the White books not only greatly predate Witcher books, but they almost certainly served as inspiration, as they were VERY popular in Eastern Europe at the time. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elric_of_Melnibon%C3%A9 I wouldn't call them a source material exactly... but they are not unrelated either.

I haven't been super into the netflix series, but I do not understand the hate for them at all, or for any other adaptation of existing fiction. They're not slapping your copy of the books out of your hands or remote deleting your games.

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    I haven't been super into the netflix series, but I do not understand the hate for them at all, or for any other adaptation of existing fiction. They're not slapping your copy of the books out of your hands or remote deleting your games.
    The problem isn't that they're not faithful to the source material.

The problem is that they're shit shows (many of them anyway).

Changing something from the original doesn't automatically make an adaptation shit, and staying true to the original doesn't automatically make an adaptation good; but there certainly are plenty of examples recently where they changed something AND it was shit, and while the problem is definitely the being shit part, there are also some arguments to be made that if they hadn't changed things the result would at least have been likely to be less shit.

It's complicated.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's a lot of good stuff on Netflix, but the bad tends to get highlighted a lot so it tends to flood what's actually good, more so if you are apart of social media. Enjoy what you enjoy and ignore the negativity. Your fun shouldn't be dictated by others.

With that said I jumped off of Witcher midway through season 2 and haven't went back. There were some decision made I just couldn't get past, and I never even watched the animated movie or the Blood Origin. Even though not faithful themselves the video games are kinda the best adaptation to the books :P
    Last edited by Orby; 2023-06-26 at 09:05 AM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

7+ Year Old Account
    heh, they aren't, but they are butchering the source material in the adaptations(for no good reason mind you, a lot of changes are just idiotic) and not even make good adaptations at that, not just netflix but Amazon is joining this trend

You can understand that(even if you think its not rational) that people who like the original, be movie or game, will be pissed when they finally adapt what they like and its dogshit with the characters ruined

My problem with bad adaptions is that I'd like a good adaption which I can enjoy, but with the bad one being made chances are it'll be decade+ if ever if there'd be anyone else attempting, essentially making any sort of idea of even having a good adaption practically out of reach.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Even as part of me doesn't want to post this because I know more people here posting in this thread hate the series and just trash it now vs. actually enjoying ANY of it - but for the few who do read here and still enjoy (at all) the show -

Early reviews of the first half of the season are in(cuz Netflix is "splitting" the release a month a part to get that sub money, first five epis. now, last 3 end of July) and it sounds like much of what I thought about Second Season.

Mostly that - "The main four are great and we want more of them!" (Witcher, Yenn, Ciri, Jasker) but "The politics are boring."

Yup, pretty much how I felt about season 2. I was glad to hear we're seeing more Jasker, but not glad to hear the main four are more of part of the 'ensemble cast story' then the show turns around THEM (with again having entire episodes that don't include the main characters). Writers still wanting the "GoT Politics" to be an equal draw, and they just aren't. So the episodes that are more the kingdoms-storyline are the 'slow and boring' and the episodes centered around the main characters are the strongest. Also NOT glad to hear monster battles are less the focus and there are only a few of those.

Also several reviewers warning people that if they had trouble keeping track of characters might want to watch a 'recap' of last season to remind them of who is who. As each reviewer mentioned it was something they wish they did, because they didn't quite remember/keep straight all the "political storyline" sort of characters. They did praise the actors performances, even as they didn't praise the plot/writing the actors were given.

I'm watching, so I shall see! If the only episodes I care about are the Witcher centric ones, that's fine - that's been the case for two seasons now. I can let the brain glaze over while they try to pull off GoT politics and just ignore those.

And since the last three episodes were NOT available to reviewers, they also all commented on the fact that "We can hope this all concludes well and the ending is solid but we don't know yet if the buildup will be worth it or not."

Happy Watchin! (or if you Hate Watch - um...Don't happy watch!? lol)
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    With that said I jumped off of Witcher midway through season 2 and haven't went back. There were some decision made I just couldn't get past, and I never even watched the animated movie or the Blood Origin. Even though not faithful themselves the video games are kinda the best adaptation to the books :P
    Swap that to "midway through episode 2 of season 2 and its abominable pointless changes that butchered the story (even further)" and that's me. And after reading multiple reviews of the season 3's start in Polish media, it ain't likely to change anytime soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    Swap that to "midway through episode 2 of season 2 and its abominable pointless changes that butchered the story (even further)" and that's me. And after reading multiple reviews of the season 3's start in Polish media, it ain't likely to change anytime soon.
    Episode 2 of season 2 was a travesty in decision making, I should have stopped there.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

having read the books, season 3 is SO MUCH better than season 2, they sticked to the Sapkowski lore
    appearantly they learned from their mistakes, this time

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    having read the books, season 3 is SO MUCH better than season 2, they sticked to the Sapkowski lore
    appearantly they learned from their mistakes, this time
    Are all of the episodes out? Pretty sure if they did stick with the lore Cavil would not have peace out

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    Are all of the episodes out? Pretty sure if they did stick with the lore Cavil would not have peace out
    5 episodes out of 8 are out.
    Season 2 was a completely (terrible) new story, but season 3 so far ties back with the books (first half of fourth book https://witcher.fandom.com/wiki/Time_of_Contempt).
    No official reason has been given for Cavill's departure, but I don't think it was because of the plot.
    Geralt in the books is much more talkative, maybe that was the reason of Cavill's dissatisfaction, or maybe he just thought of going back to being Superman, who knows

I honestly enjoyed the new season. Idgaf about the casting choices. Women in the game all looked like the same character with a different haircolor.
    It's a fantasy adaption. You can do whatever.

I also enjoyed the fact, that it wasn't only monsters and fighting. Especially the last empisode was really fun to watch with the different storylines.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Geralt in the books is much more talkative, maybe that was the reason of Cavill's dissatisfaction, or maybe he just thought of going back to being Superman, who knows
    An actor who is a fan of the IP and went beyond normal means to get this role, won't return back to the role they already had before all of a sudden.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    People (me included) want to see on the screen what we imagined while enjoying the original material. We could be getting a faithful representation of that, but instead we get the vision of a producer. This would be fine if:

-Their vision wasn't a plothole-ridden garbage (and often it is)
    -Their vision didn't distance itself so much from the source material (justice for Eskel)
    -Their vision wasn't balls deep in American modern politics, which frankly is just a major orchitis at this point and has nothing to do with entertainment

The books are still there. The games are still there. The series isn't, because it went off the rails, and we are not getting another.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    An actor who is a fan of the IP and went beyond normal means to get this role, won't return back to the role they already had before all of a sudden.
    Cavill also complained about doing fan service scenes so as far as any one knows it could have been those that got him to drop the roll given the lack of an actual reason given.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Pebbleton View Post
    The books are still there. The games are still there. The series isn't, because it went off the rails, and we are not getting another.
    The series hasn’t been canceled (yet), there just casting a new Geralt and continuing on with season 4.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

7+ Year Old Account
    5 episodes out of 8 are out.
    so something must have happened in the 3 later, or just that the 4 season was going in another direction, honestly i could give season 3 a shot if season 2 was not so bad.
    No official reason has been given for Cavill's departure, but I don't think it was because of the plot.
    There is no "public" statements from him, but we do know about the reasons

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    The series hasn’t been canceled (yet), there just casting a new Geralt and continuing on with season 4.
    The way I see it, Cavill was the only good thing in there, especially after season 1. Maybe Ciri is good too. Yennefer's and Vesemir's characterization has been torn to shreds. I don't know if there is anyone left to cheer on. I still need to watch season 3, but I am scared more than anything