Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    In the two latter ones yes. The one from first game is closer to depiction as to how he's written in the books and the TV serie is based on books, not the game. He's not supposed to be a pretty boy or really masculine hero type. If anything he was lanky and on the skinny side, a bit stringy perhaps. He's supposed to have a smile that's not really kind at all, it is seemingly either ugly or unintentionally malicious and his voice usually causes discomfort and his voice a bit unnerving. He's also very retreated as a person and doesn't really engage, most of the society shun him anyhow.

Witchers go through a LOT mutations and mutagens during their training and it leaves permanent marks on them and usually not the pleasant sort.

This is pretty good visual representation. The one on the left (First game) is far more book accurate depiction than the one on the right.
    The one on the left looks like the average joe video game protagonist just like the one on the right. The only difference I can see is the quality of graphics.
    Anyways, did you really think they'd cast an "ugly" actor as a protagonist for a big ass TV show?

Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    The one on the left looks like the average joe video game protagonist just like the one on the right. The only difference I can see is the quality of graphics.
    There are definitive visual differencies between the two models that go far beyond simple 'better graphics' excuses, Witcher 1 hosts tons of character models and many of them are far more handsome than that.

Anyways, did you really think they'd cast an "ugly" actor as a protagonist for a big ass TV show?
    I never said anything of the sort. You said Henry is turning out to be pretty good Geralt and I simply said he's not really looking like Geralt at all if we go by source they're going to use for adaption. I made no comment on what I thought they'd be casting for the role.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Lol. Isn't he a pretty boy in the games as well?
    Hu, no. He's always on the "manly, dirty and weary" side of things.
    In the two latter ones yes.
    He's more handsome in the latter games, but I really don't see how you can see him as a "pretty boy".
    I mean, even the picture you show doesn't look at all like a clean, polished, pristine boyish rogue, but a gruff war-scarred veteran.

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    Hu, no. He's always on the "manly, dirty and weary" side of things.

He's more handsome in the latter games, but I really don't see how you can see him as a "pretty boy".
    I mean, even the picture you show doesn't look at all like a clean, polished, pristine boyish rogue, but a gruff war-scarred veteran.
    What constitutes a "pretty boy" then?

I never said anything of the sort. You said Henry is turning out to be pretty good Geralt and I simply said he's not really looking like Geralt at all if we go by source they're going to use for adaption. I made no comment on what I thought they'd be casting for the role.
    I can't remember Geralt being betrayed as ugly per se, it's more like gruff/beaten. Henry would need 1-2 large scars as makeup and he would be perfectly fine. Iirc the polish TV attempts also didn't have exactly a bad looking guy .

Edit: Related:
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2019-07-02 at 07:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabrotar View Post
    Given how crap superman wa sit probably would have been bette rfor his career if he would have misse dit.
    Man of steel was awesome tho, the first and last good DC movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    I can't remember Geralt being betrayed as ugly per se, it's more like gruff/beaten. Henry would need 1-2 large scars as makeup and he would be perfectly fine. Iirc the polish TV attempts also didn't have exactly a bad looking guy .

Edit: Related:
    Polish TV series? What????

OT: Yea I'm not a fan of their choices and character portrayal. I won't judge what could be an amazing series if the writing and acting are on point, but I'm no longer as hyped.

I'd be more excited for an animated series tbh similar to Castelvania. Keep the original VA's, get decent action scenes, etc. But I guess catering to the broad audience is the goal here.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    The author of the books that the games are based on is from Poland..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Looks like moar diversity casting (ironic is that those who are ok with that will want the characters n story to be western n less east european...
    Totes agree
    This looks like something forgetable, when it's more important to get points for diversity than story, the chance this will be good is slim.
    Like that other witcher movie that nobody seen?
    Known place for dark skinned people
    Last edited by Charge me Doctor; 2019-07-03 at 05:50 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

You have NO IDEA how many people I've encountered the past few days that didn't know that the games were based on books that are from Poland.

And a lot of these people consider themselves huge fans of the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    Known place for dark skinned people
    I mean it's typical western medivial fantasy in that regard (even if the folklore is slavic), the only dark skinned people you would meet are people from far away places, usually across the ocean. But personally I'm more interested of Geralt's interactions with other humanoid races here, I wonder if they will have some stories of dwarves and elves, especially dwarves are among the cooler guys Geralt meets.

What constitutes a "pretty boy" then?
    Well, the name is rather self-explanatory ("boy", which imply someone with a youngish and not-especially-manly look, and "pretty" which has a tint of effeminate/sophisticated).
    Or a simple Google search could give the definition : "a foppish or effeminate man".

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like moar diversity casting (ironic is that those who are ok with that will want the characters n story to be western n less east european...
    Yeah, like :
    Quote Originally Posted by Akka
    She looks very mediterranean to me, while I expected a typical slavic girl.
    you mean ?

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    Well, the name is rather self-explanatory ("boy", which imply someone with a youngish and not-especially-manly look, and "pretty" which has a tint of effeminate/sophisticated).
    Or a simple Google search could give the definition : "a foppish or effeminate man".
    But none of that seems to apply to Henry Cavill as Geralt. Looks pretty "manly" if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    Overall the only saving grace right now is Cavill as Geralt. I'll give the show a chance though because I really do want it to be good but damn am I disappointed right now.
    Indeed. Henry Cavil looks awesome, is a gamer and fan of Witcher.

Now:
    1. Pale skin raven-black hair Yennifer? Nope
    2. Fiery red hair ginger Triss? Nope

The cast looks remarkably non-Eastern European, considering the universe and lore of Witcher are inspired of its folklore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpcat View Post
    Indeed. Henry Cavil looks awesome, is a gamer and fan of Witcher.

Now:
    1. Pale skin raven-black hair Yennifer? Nope
    2. Fiery red hair ginger Triss? Nope

The cast looks remarkably non-Eastern European, considering the universe and lore of Witcher are inspired of its folklore.
    Fiery red hair ginger Triss is a game thing, it is just described as "chestnut" in the books. I am also not sure if Yennifer is ever said to have pale skin, just black hair and violet eyes. Remember, this is not an adaptation of the games, it is based on the books.

But none of that seems to apply to Henry Cavill as Geralt. Looks pretty "manly" if you ask me.
    He's not effeminate, but he looks too boyish and not rough enough to me.
    That being said, he still is adequate for the part.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    I am also not sure if Yennifer is ever said to have pale skin, just black hair and violet eyes. Remember, this is not an adaptation of the games, it is based on the books.
    The Witcher world is based on Eastern Europe, so I don't think they need to specify pale skin, it's pretty much implied by the setting.

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    Fiery red hair ginger Triss is a game thing, it is just described as "chestnut" in the books. I am also not sure if Yennifer is ever said to have pale skin, just black hair and violet eyes. Remember, this is not an adaptation of the games, it is based on the books.
    I haven't read the books, but if their appearance in the show matches what's described in the books then I retract my rage. We can still talk about the completely omitted Eastern European theme, far as character appearance/race is concerned. There is rarely anything positive worldwide about EE and it's pretty sad another chance is instead spent on color diversity rather than cultural diversity.
    Last edited by Trumpcat; 2019-07-03 at 01:55 PM.

I mean, I'm not huge on Eastern Europe, but "slavic" to me definitely implies black hair and a gamut of skin tones, from pale to Mediterranean features. Maybe because I think of Romania and Gypsies, idk.

It definitely doesn't imply blonde and blue eyes, which I distinctly think of as Aryan or Caucus.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post

OT: Yea I'm not a fan of their choices and character portrayal. I won't judge what could be an amazing series if the writing and acting are on point, but I'm no longer as hyped.

I'd be more excited for an animated series tbh similar to Castelvania. Keep the original VA's, get decent action scenes, etc. But I guess catering to the broad audience is the goal here.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZlIMnIe9e0

its..... sure is something.

that said... to be honest, i was never much of a fan of the way Yen looked in games. she is supposed to be very short and delicate looking to the point where its constantly brought up, even when she is wearing heels (which is pretty much whenever she is not naked), but she is practically Geralt's height in the game. her facial features in game also didn't jibe for me to her book description (as I remember it, its been a minute since I read them).

in netflix series.... they don't particularly jibe for me either, but I guess we shall see.

P.S. eastern European =/= pale nordic. many parts of Eastern Europe were conquered over and over by variety of people, and its very visible in variety of looks you can see in modern eastern European countries, including Poland.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I mean, I'm not huge on Eastern Europe, but "slavic" to me definitely implies black hair and a gamut of skin tones, from pale to Mediterranean features. Maybe because I think of Romania and Gypsies, idk.

It definitely doesn't imply blonde and blue eyes, which I distinctly think of as Aryan or Caucus.
    first of all romanians are not slavs nor gipsys ...