Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[ TV ] Scott Pilgrim Takes Off

Ok, excited for that. Really liked both the movie and the graphic novels, so hopefully this is good too. They even got most of the people from the movie to come back.

Looks sick. Getting some FLCL vibes from the trailer and it's awesome to see most of the movie's cast reprising roles.

Cool to see both Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Michael Cera still voicing the characters as they did in the movie. I liked that movie, I should watch it again this week. I like both these actors, Michael Cera for Arrested Development and Superbad, Mary Elizabeth Winstead did a really great job in Fargo.

But I don't really understand how this franchise has a fan following outside of that movie. I am out of touch. 1 movie and a few comics can make you this invested in a franchise?

I'll watch it for sure tho
    Last edited by MiiiMiii; 2023-08-17 at 06:13 AM.

I don’t care what they do with the show just as long as they dedicate one episode to making Lucas Lee movies.

Quote Originally Posted by MiiiMiii View Post
    1 movie and a few comics can make you this invested in a franchise?
    Easily.

My son and I share a love for the Scott Pilgrim story and regularly watch the movie together or quote it to each other. I don't know what it's like for anyone else, but this is something we can share and bond over, as both of us are kinda geeky.

It doesn't hurt that it's just a genuinely good story with some good values to impart, with characters that seem like real people despite the crazy situations. There's depth to this.

But I don't really understand how this franchise has a fan following outside of that movie. I am out of touch. 1 movie and a few comics can make you this invested in a franchise?
    People get investted in franchises with less than that.

nice to see the casting being almost identical to the movie's and the drawings being so close to the original material.

It seems to be a retelling of the story we already know though so we might end up with an animated serie that will use the audio of the movie XD

10+ Year Old Account
    The comic released 6 volumes over the course of 6 years and resulted in a pretty popular movie and well received video game. As already stated, many fandoms exist with far less.

15+ Year Old Account
    It started as a comic book series, which was popular enough to get both movie and game adaptations. It was a pretty big hit at the time it came out in the mid-late '00s and then it got reprinted in color in the early '10s.

This looks to pretty much be a straight up adaptation of the comic, which was six volumes long.

Its a show about friendship and romance I am not the target audience.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Gorefiend View Post
    Its a show about friendship and romance I am not the target audience.
    Its a show about martial arts and video games. Also about playing bass.

Got a clip, first thought, could not tell that was Michael Cera. It's nice that they aren't just using the same voice tone from the movie and aiming for something that better matches the GN.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure if animation is intentionally Newgrounds-esq or just cheap and lazy... Didn't get that feeling from the teaser.

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    Not sure if animation is intentionally Newgrounds-esq or just cheap and lazy... Didn't get that feeling from the teaser.
    Well the art style is clearly modeled after the books. The animation, what little we see, seems pretty smooth (see Scott sitting down).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    Well the art style is clearly modeled after the books. The animation, what little we see, seems pretty smooth (see Scott sitting down).
    Character designs are fine, it's the animation that looks cheap. The lip syncing, or lack there of, is my biggest problem. Like I said, it looks like old, 2000's flash animations and I am wondering if that is intentional as the series is set in that time period or just cheap. Just look at the beginning when Scott says "The Big Apple" it isn't even close.

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    Character designs are fine, it's the animation that looks cheap. The lip syncing, or lack there of, is my biggest problem. Like I said, it looks like old, 2000's flash animations and I am wondering if that is intentional as the series is set in that time period or just cheap. Just look at the beginning when Scott says "The Big Apple" it isn't even close.
    It's based off Japanese animation where there isn't as much concern with trying to match lip flaps to the dialogue perfectly.

Here is the opening:

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't want to spoil it, but it's definitely not a direct adaptation of the comics.

It's really good. Has some crazily well-animated action sequences, especially in later episodes, and a killer soundtrack. Personal favorite moment of mine so far was a skateboarding action sequence through a movie studio set to the opening theme of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1.

If you were a fan of the books or the movie, definitely worth a watch. Best to go in blind.

I've only watched the first episode so far but Ramona feels much more like a real person in this adaptation rather than the cardboard "girlfriend" standee she was in the movie, I like that a lot. The twist at the end of that first episode got me interested in seeing where this is going, since it promises to be a new story instead of a simple retelling of what we've already seen.