7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post
    That tweet just confuses me. And none of that confusion, or the distaste of the tweet, has anything to do with the show or whomever wrote that quoted passage.

I don't even know who drmattdambrosio is. And what, or how, they are qualified to know about the alleged "trauma" of whomever wrote this. Unless they are talking about themselves? (which makes it odd) All I see is someone identifying themselves as having a personality disorder. (DrMatt, not the writer of the passage) And feeling sorry for anyone who has to work with them.
    Apparently, it is a writter for the witcher series, and he will put all his queer trauma into the show he write.

Not that we need that to know season 3 is going to be a clusterfuck and prob will kill the show.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    Apparently, it is a writter for the witcher series, and he will put all his queer trauma into the show he write.

Not that we need that to know season 3 is going to be a clusterfuck and prob will kill the show.
    Unless the author of that tweet is the author of the Witcher lines he's quoting - then all you know from this post is the tweet author is, at best, an asshole.

That's all that tweet tells you. Unless you normally believe everything you read on the internet is 100% truth.

Now, if he's quoting the lines he wrote *himself*, then its just a really bizarre statement to make about your own writing. As most writers, once learning that insight, would correct it, instead of point it out about themselves and keep doing it. But that doesn't read like he's quoting himself and commenting on his own writing style. I could be wrong.
    Last edited by Koriani; 2023-03-30 at 06:52 PM.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

Those lines don't have anything to do with sexuality. Stop trying to derail the thread with this agenda nonsense. Believe it or not, trauma can be relatable no matter the source. In this case, it's about "being different" which led to "a crusade" against the character, but the "being different" was being a witch.

Y'all need to grow up.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Those lines don't have anything to do with sexuality. Stop trying to derail the thread with this agenda nonsense. Believe it or not, trauma can be relatable no matter the source. In this case, it's about "being different" which led to "a crusade" against the character, but the "being different" was being a witch.

Y'all need to grow up.
    But we didn't mention anything about sexuality though?

Y'all need to grow up.
    Stop trying to obfuscate your support with nonsense

Y'all need to grow up.
    moderating so efficiently asking people to grow up...

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

Y'all need to grow up.
    Why would you say something so controversial yet so brave.

They're looking for "woke" reasons to hate on the show and be angry actually brining reason into it is just gonna make them more upset.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

If a writer admits to taking pleasure or putting priority in pouring his hate/pain into a material that doesn't need or call for it, I'm having issues with it. You can act condescending as you want, everything in this twitter post is nonsense.

Comparing witch hunts to living your daily life as whatever you identify yourself as is an absurdity. In our day and age, nobody gives two shits if you're a man or a woman or used to be one of these (at least in most western countries).

10+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Skildar View Post
    If a writer admits to taking pleasure or putting priority in pouring his hate/pain into a material that doesn't need or call for it, I'm having issues with it. You can act condescending as you want, everything in this twitter post is nonsense.
    That's just called writing. You'll be amazed at how many things you like that is a writer trauma dumping into it. It is fairly common, and most times you don't notice or care. So the question is why do you care only some of the time and not all the time?

Comparing witch hunts to living your daily life as whatever you identify yourself as is an absurdity. In our day and age, nobody gives two shits if you're a man or a woman or used to be one of these (at least in most western countries).
    Sorry to say you are wrong here. If you don't believe me, check out the number of closed topics in GenOT and the politics forums on this site. Or take a dive onto Twitter or Facebook.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

7+ Year Old Account
    I suggest you don't touch alot of fantasy series or wiriting in general then because authors putting them self's into there work is so incredibly common its not even worth mentioning.

One glance at American politics proves this as laughably untrue.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

10+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    I suggest you don't touch alot of fantasy series or wiriting in general then because authors putting them self's into there work is so incredibly common its not even worth mentioning.
    More just like Fiction in General than just fantasy. But, Fantasy sure has a lot.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

There's really only one response to this:

I take that back...there's at least one other response.

“The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

7+ Year Old Account
    Why would you say something so controversial yet so brave.

They're looking for "woke" reasons to hate on the show and be angry actually brining reason into it is just gonna make them more upset.
    Literally no one talked about that, nor said anything related to what you are attacking.

Now the thread became a strawman so people are attacking a point no one made, instead of focusing on The witcher

- - - Updated - - -

If a writer admits to taking pleasure or putting priority in pouring his hate/pain into a material that doesn't need or call for it, I'm having issues with it.
    This should be common sense, the story is damaged by it, it was damaged by it, and it will continue to be damaged by it

Season 3 seems like its going to double down on season 2, its not even "the witcher" anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

ITs fine if the author do that to his own work, but that person was not the author of The witcher novels/books, so, kinda different scenario.

7+ Year Old Account
    Literally no one talked about that, nor said anything related to what you are attacking.

Now the thread became a strawman so people are attacking a point no one made, instead of focusing on The witcher
    Yes the post about the tweet are totally for a different reason.

- - - Updated - - -

ITs fine if the author do that to his own work, but that person was not the author of The witcher novels/books, so, kinda different scenario.
    This might be a surprise but shows runners/writers also put them selfs into there works even if it’s an adaptation.

7+ Year Old Account
    Yes the post about the tweet are totally for different reason.
    Even if you ignore what the trauma he was referring to, it would still be a problem, cause it was changing a story because someone bias/views./personal experience.

I don't think this is a problem by itself, if you are doing your own story, novel, music, or whatever, i think it is a problem when you do that and change an already made story of someone else..

It is like, me writing for the witcher, but i make elves the worst, and its good to exterminate then, because my own bias against elves, it does not fit the witcher world and it would be a detrimental and nonsensical change

- - - Updated - - -

This might be a surprise but shows runners/writers also put them selfs into there works even if it’s an adaptation.
    And they are bound to be criticized by it, especially if the changes are bad and/or nonsensical, (hell evena good change made in a bad way can be worse), since its not their work even if they are adapting.

....the literal lines in the tweet are about being persecuted for being a witch, which is in-line with what The Witcher is about. There's major characters that struggle with that very thing. That the author is translating his sexuality into that trauma is not unusual......and an appropriate translation.

The fact that the poster had such a problem with it *despite the lines not discussing sexuality at all* is him looking for an agenda to whine about. And you've latched on to also thinking that tweet is a problem, as if an author's specific trauma can't be translated into the media's themes about trauma.

7+ Year Old Account
    Even if you ignore what the trauma he was referring to, it would still be a problem, cause it was changing a story because someone bias/views./personal experience.

I don't think this is a problem by itself, if you are doing your own story, novel, music, or whatever, i think it is a problem when you do that and change an already made story of someone else..

It is like, me writing for the witcher, but i make elves the worst, and its good to exterminate then, because my own bias against elves, it does not fit the witcher world and it would be a detrimental and nonsensical change

- - - Updated - - -

And they are bound to be criticized by it, especially if the changes are bad and/or nonsensical, (hell evena good change made in a bad way can be worse), since its not their work even if they are adapting.
    If we’re talking adaptions that’s just a problem your gonna have to get over as every single one is going to have changes and have parts of the writers/show runners in them no adaption will ever be pure to the original creator unless they are the only one contributing creatively.

Rather the changes/parts of the writers/show runners are good or not is another matter entirely but they will always be there and people choose to focus on this one writer just because they mentioned there queer experience.

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    ....the literal lines in the tweet are about being persecuted for being a witch, which is in-line with what The Witcher is about. There's major characters that struggle with that very thing. That the author is translating his sexuality into that trauma is not unusual......and an appropriate translation.

The fact that the poster had such a problem with it *despite the lines not discussing sexuality at all* is him looking for an agenda to whine about. And you've latched on to also thinking that tweet is a problem, as if an author's specific trauma can't be translated into the media's themes about trauma.
    While i do agree with your post and the specific script lines in that tweet, there's always the danger that this happens to irrelevant parts of story, skewing it, along with the characters and their motivations and ending up a totally different thing than the actual theme.

I mean, the tweet is so absolute in its meaning, it isn't exactly promising or hoping. "every single thing that i write" is quite strong as an expression. And i'm not very sure there are enough analogies for queer trauma in the Witcher world than the one you already mentioned.

Getting inspiration from your living experience is actually desired as a writer trait. Putting your trauma into every single thing you write, not only is one-sided, but can also lead to accusations of agenda writing.
    Last edited by Fabinas; 2023-03-31 at 06:07 AM. Reason: added last phrase, corrections
    /spit@Blizzard

7+ Year Old Account
    If we’re talking adaptions that’s just a problem your gonna have to get over as every single one is going to have changes and have parts of the writers/show runners in them no adaption will ever be pure to the original creator unless they are the only one contributing creatively.
    Right, but as aways, things are not black/white, A/B 0/100, of course adaptations will have changes, but the problem always lies on how you do those, and what are those.

We all can agree, at least, that the changes in the witcher series are not good and the show is being damaged by it. This just happen to be one of the reasons.

There are differences between drawing inspiration from personal experience and struggles to shape a character strength and weakness and put him in a context where they can be tested because it matches the story they want to tell.

And then you have writers that want to talk about a topic that's close to their heart but have no context or story that is well thought out that puts that gives shape to their message.

The difference in result is quite big and unfortunately we see more and more of the second one because companies feel like audiences need such topics to be addressed and put in their stories like we used to have token black actors to match quotas in the 80s and 90s (probably even 2000)