Page 45 of 115 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Yeah I do believe the best impersonation of a Vulcan by a human will go to Leonard Nimoy.
    That's not a Star Trek character. That's an actor, his character was half Vulcan. Michael a human is impersonating a Vulcan, not the actress. That's harder than just playing a Vulcan.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    No, I won't "shut up."

Wow, you come into a thread about a fantasy show and point out that an element of it isn't real. That's some astute thinking on your part.
    I'm not telling you to shut up, I'm telling you to stop complaining. You still have your "real" Klingons. You just have to watch reruns of the old shows and the movies. CBS does not owe you anything. This is their take on the Klingons. And since Klingons are not real anyway, Discovery's Klingons are just as "real" as the ones we love from TNG or DS9.

Personnaly, I prefer the old design. However, the main elements of Klingon culture are still there. Starfleet and the Federation is pretty much the same. The show puts more emphasis on shady characters, like Lorca, but these already existed in previous shows. Sisko himself has not always been an exemple of virtue. But you still have Tilly, Stammets, Saru and the doctor, who are typical Starfleet officers. The Vulcans are the same. I'm curious to see what will be their take on Andorians and Tellarites. There is a lot of science, exploration and what not, just like the other iterations of the franchise. Serialization is doing great things for the show. The story is interesting, even compelling, and I'm always eager to see what will happen next. So I wont deprive myself of a great Trek show, just because the Klingons don't look exactly like what we've been used to for the last 30 years, or because, according to some, technology looks "too advanced" for pre-TOS era (a late 1960's show).
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    She's not a Vulcan but that's the best impersonation I have ever seen from a Human.

People who complain about her acting just do not understand the character.
    I dont understand why cant she just be an human who does things like a vulcan. Why the hell does it have to look like she just switches human mode to vulcan mode every now and then? Its not even least realistic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    I'm not telling you to shut up, I'm telling you to stop complaining.
    Just what position in the world do you think you occupy? Here's an idea; if you don't like reading my posts on this show, put me on your ignore list. Exercise the ability you have to avoid reading my criticism if you don't want to read it. That's what adults do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    How about you two take it to PMs with the off-topic bickering?
    Not necessary. I'm done responding to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Corroc View Post
    I dont understand why cant she just be an human who does things like a vulcan. Why the hell does it have to look like she just switches human mode to vulcan mode every now and then? Its not even least realistic.
    She's not just a human who does things like a Vulcan, though. She was raised in a Vulcan society since childhood. Amanda may have been a more human influence on her, but ever since her formative years she's felt the pressure to be as Vulcan as possible...to live up to what she felt were Sarek's expectations for her. That's bound to fuck with someone, especially if they don't have the literal mental powers to deal with it like Vulcans do.

Now, whether or not she's a good enough actor to convincingly pull it off is another matter entirely. But her character is about this Vulcan/human conflict, it isn't just the case of someone who went overseas for a couple months and picked up an accent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    She's not just a human who does things like a Vulcan, though. She was raised in a Vulcan society since childhood. Amanda may have been a more human influence on her, but ever since her formative years she's felt the pressure to be as Vulcan as possible...to live up to what she felt were Sarek's expectations for her. That's bound to fuck with someone, especially if they don't have the literal mental powers to deal with it like Vulcans do.

Now, whether or not she's a good enough actor to convincingly pull it off is another matter entirely. But her character is about this Vulcan/human conflict, it isn't just the case of someone who went overseas for a couple months and picked up an accent.
    Yeah, she's a human in drags, so she's overdoing it. I like where her character is going, reconciling with her humanity.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    it isn't just the case of someone who went overseas for a couple months and picked up an accent.
    But this is the thing, it looks like he just decided to pull out the accent every now and then. And when she does it, he will stare at wall and talk in monotonic voice. That's bad acting for me. That makes it look like its just thing that she does.

Deleted
    That's not a Star Trek character. That's an actor, his character was half Vulcan. Michael a human is impersonating a Vulcan, not the actress. That's harder than just playing a Vulcan.
    Whatever she's doing she's horrible at it. She's a horrible actor.

I look at this way, we can compare how well two actors play the same roll.

Off the top of my head there are only three instances of two actors playing the same Vulcan. Leonard Nimoy and Zachery Quinto. Mark Lenard and James Frain. Kirstie Alley and Robin Curtis.

Nimoy, is of course, great at Spock but Quinto did a really good job. I won't compare Lenard and Frain. Alley was much, much better at Saavik than Curtis.

When I look at Martin-Green playing Burnham I frequently think of Alley and Curtis. Unfortunately, I think she's more Curtis than Alley right now. I don't really get the hate against her but she's kinda bland sometimes.

10+ Year Old Account
    She's not playing a Vulcan though.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    I don't really get the hate against her
    I personally don't "hate" her as such, I just think she spends 99% of her time emoting a frowny face. Coming from TWD, compare her to Andrew Lincoln or Melissa McBride. Now there's two examples of people who can emote. Frowny face is typically the go-to for actors who lack any kind of range. Either she's expressionless, not emoting, or she does the easiest of all emotions, joy, laughter, which is what I'm sure there's plenty of on the set anyway. Or, she does the frowny face, and tries to apply that to a range of emotions and situations.

As for frowny faces, that's not really a Star Trek emotion anyway. Look at ToS, TNG, DS9, Voyager... They're all mostly serene, as if though they're living in a futuristic world, a futuristic society. They're not frownyfacing their way through life. Every now and then they may do some really bad acting, or some really good acting, and have emotional outbursts, but honestly, for the most part, you can see the effects of the Vulcan contact on the Federation and it's people. People are very matter-of-fact and calm most of the time, and, even when they're really excited, they're not doing a constant frowny face.

On a side note, and I guess we're not using spoiler tags on these forums anymore, I can't wait to see all the hijinks Dwight from the Office will get to.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    I personally don't "hate" her as such, I just think she spends 99% of her time emoting a frowny face.
    Well, this is definitely a performance where the actor hits the ground... walking. And very leisurely at that. I can tolerate it so far but I can't help but think DIS will be more like Enterprise. I initially liked the idea of Scott Bakula being Captain but he's my least favourite of the other ST leads. He also hit the ground... walking. And Enterprise was decent enough to watch but could've been better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Her face looks like a face of a human who was told to show no emotions. Go get a mirror and try to show no emotions and your face will look frowny.

Her face looks like a face of a human who was told to show no emotions. Go get a mirror and try to show no emotions and your face will look frowny.
    She looks like someone who was told to not move at all while speaking. Is that really your perception of being emotionless?

Alot of psychopath characters in movies are considered emotionless and they dont look anything like that. Its just bad acting.

10+ Year Old Account
    She looks like someone who was told to not move at all while speaking. Is that really your perception of being emotionless?
    Movements are a sign of emotions. So yes. She does a good job.
    Alot of psychopath characters in movies are considered emotionless and they dont look anything like that. Its just bad acting.
    That's nonsense. You are confusing empathy with emotions.

Movements are a sign of emotions. So yes. She does a good job.

That's nonsense. You are confusing empathy with emotions.
    So you are basically saying that every single actor who played or is playing vulcan right now is doing worse job at it than sonequa martin-green?

And I'm not talking about every single scene of the series. But sometimes its grossly overdone. Dont show emotions doesn't mean you cant make eye contact or move at all. Are you serious right now or just trolling?

We're not even over the honey moon period yet, TNG had a whole bad first season. DS9 started off well but it had the luxury of coming off TNG. Voyager had a rocky start too. Give Discovery a little time.

I'm liking it so far but I didn't have high expectations to begin with.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    So you are basically saying that every single actor who played or is playing vulcan right now is doing worse job at it than sonequa martin-green?
    Again, she is not playing a Vulcan. Does your dislike of her blinds you to this simple truth? Her character is way more complicated than "Vulcans" other actors play, they can all reference actors who played vulcans before them, they can copy. She cannot. She's like the first of her kind.

Even if she is a bad actress, the person who cast her in this role is a GENIUS.

Again, she is not playing a Vulcan. Does your dislike of her blinds you to this simple truth? Her character is way more complicated than "Vulcans" other actors play, they can all reference actors who played vulcans before them, they can copy. She cannot. She's like the first of her kind.

Even if she is a bad actress, the person who cast her in this role is a GENIUS.
    Lets not go overboard here. She dosnt deserve the hate but you are going out of your way to give her too much credit.