Page 81 of 115 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    Would you mind sharing what the titles of these books were? Never read any ST books, these sound intersting.
    The "Borg Invasion" series is Star Trek: Destiny.
    https://www.amazon.com/Destiny-Compl.../dp/B00AHE24ZS

Basically it is the sequel to the last Episode of Voyager. It takes place in 2381 (18 months after Star Trek: Nemesis) and is pretty much "the big one"... the massive Borg offensive against the Alpha Quadrant and the Federation. It takes place also after the first bit of Star Trek: Titan (Riker post Nemesis), the DS9 relaunch and Voyager relaunch, so there is some things like Ezri Dax being a captain of the most advanced ship in Starfleet.

The best way to think of Star Trek Destiny is as the "all-24th century" event movie that never happened but really should have. The one that would have brought TNG, Voyager and DS9 together after Nemesis. It's the biggest story Star Trek ever had. Yes, even bigger than the Dominion War. Its the summation of almost everything since "Q Who?" in TNG Season 2, and that includes Star Trek: Enterprise (the NX-02 Columbia plays a big role).

Destiny is also the point at which Star Trek novels started to gain consistency series to series, author to author, rather than have a lot of contradictions between them.

It's followed up by "Star Trek: Typhon Pact" which takes place after Destiny.
    https://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Typ.../dp/B00WTIXZ3U

Pretty much the post-Borg invasion Alpha Quadrant is a mess, and two powers coalsese in open political and military competition: the Khitomer Alliance (Federation, Klingons, Ferengi, half of the Romulans and others), and the Typhon Pact (other half of the Romulans, Gorn, Breen, Tholians). It is a kind of situation like NATO and the Warsaw Pact after World War II. Interesting things happen. A lot of status-quos change with major characters, especially with DS9.

It's followed by Cold Equations
    https://www.amazon.com/Cold-Equation.../dp/B007EE4XKI

and The Fall (ENORMOUS spoilers in the link below, so don't click unless you want to be spoiled)
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A28GXII...ng=UTF8&btkr=1

There are a big number of one off books after that, but most relevant is the Section 31 books, which brings us to "Control":
    Disavowed: https://www.amazon.com/Section-31-Di...al-text&sr=1-3
    Control: https://www.amazon.com/Section-31-Co...Z2REJ0MFB953PW

One of the important things to note about the book series is that time has slowed down some compared to the real world. In the TV show, 1 season of the show roughly corresponded to 1 year in fictional universe, so by the end of TNG, the Enterprise D crew had been at it for 7 years, end of DS9 that crew for 7 years and so forth. With th ebooks, the latest ones are in 2386, which places it just 6.5 years after Star Trek Nemesis.

Why is this important? Because the books are coming up against their long avoided "upper bound", which is the destruction of Romulus in the Prime Reality part of JJ Abrams' Star Trek movie. That takes place in 2387, and is a major paradigm shift in the Prime Universe (as evidenced by it being a central plot point of the new Picard show), but just by the nature of what's gone on in the novel series, the entire status quo of them would have to change because of that (the fallout of Shinzon of Remus' brief takeover of the Romulan Star Empire in Nemesis is as major plot point for many books).

Star Trek novels used to be terrible, but since Destiny, they've gotten really pretty good and unlike a lot of books based on licensed properties (Star Wars), isn't afraid to majorly change characters. It does do a bit much of of "everything is connected" but they've really gone places in them.

The reading order:
    http://www.shastrix.com/books/star-t...ding-order.php

Oh and for what it's worth, at the top of that list is a whole list of Star Trek: Enterprise books that are also pretty good, that take place just before and during the Romulan War, then the founding of the Federation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Moving the timeline forward can solve this, though.

It's the 26th Century. The Federation has fallen; with no extant threats, internal strife grew, eventually exploding into outright conflict. The Andorians were the first to go, pulling back into their own territory. The Vulcans saw this as a threat, and demanded Federation support in forcing the Andorians back to the table. When the Federation refused, the Vulcans severed ties as well. The Klingons were next, and then the Federation simply fell apart. Diplomatic relations are not automatically hostile, but the major factions are at best strained. Tensions run deep, and all sides seem quick to action. The remaining Earth-led Starfleet has had to retool to a more-military approach, though scientific exploration and discovery is still a strong secondary mission.

There, just threw that off the top of my head without any planning whatsoever or thinking about it for more than 30 seconds. I don't claim it to be great, but time doesn't march towards peace and friendship; the TNG era could be the ideal that's collapsed, leaving a galaxy where some are trying to grab what they can, and others are trying to stop the decay and rebuild. It would have a much more DS9 type feel, but DS9 is the second-most popular series for a reason.
    My starting point for this has been the post-war prophecy of Section 31 in Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges. That in the decades after the Dominion War, with the Klingon Empire vastly weakened by it (and it's own war with Cardassia, and the Federation during DS9), the main Alpha/Beta quadrant rivals were the Romulan Star Empire and the Federation. That is, until, the Hobus star destroyed Romulus, and the Romulan Empire fell into warlordism.

And what happened then? Over the next 15 years (though not immediately) the Klingon Empire, which went somewhat isolationist to recover after the war, decided to claim as much of the Romulan Empire remnant as it could, and their post-Martok chancellor emphasizing a back to basics approach leads a revionist Empire into a new war with the Federation.

In my view, if you cut out the (then) unnecessary stuff with Burnham and Sarek and little else, Star Trek Discovery season 1 could have been the show exploring that, but in like 2420. You know "50 years later, the Klingon Empire came back". Almost every complaint about continuity breaking could have been resolved by making it a "50 years after the Dominion War" show. It would have meant shedding the Spock connection, and is clearly impossible to fit Season 2 in with that vision, but I think it would have probably made for a better show.
    Last edited by Skroe; 2019-04-08 at 06:28 AM.

i see that this week people didn't even bother to comment on Michael Burnham Show

She even gave to evacuation speech that i never saw been told by anyone but the Caption of the ships

i could say so many things but will not bother

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike` View Post
    Thank you so much
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike` View Post
    i see that this week people didn't even bother to comment on Michael Burnham Show

She even gave to evacuation speech that i never saw been told by anyone but the Caption of the ships

I can't imagine hating a show so much I watch it religiously every week.

10+ Year Old Account
    My god this episode was fucking dull. Dear god.

This season is a 5/10 at best, started strong but went downhill fast.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    My god this episode was fucking dull. Dear god.

This season is a 5/10 at best, started strong but went downhill fast.
    The problem with this season is that Pike is fantastic. But they decided to stick with Pike's canon resolution, which is awful, and thus came into this knowing he's got a bad exit, and now they're shuffling him off the show.

The second and third most engaging characters on the show are, IMO, Tilly and Saru, in no particular order. We've seen a pretty minimal focus on either, really.

NuSpock is great, just underused. Now that he's rescued, he pipes up occasionally, but he should be more present.

They keep trying to make the show about the romantic entanglements of Burnham/Ash, and Stamets/Culber. The first is boring and trite and useless. The second is an interesting concept, but they've taken that and turned it into melodrama, with lingering looks of longing as they don't deal with their shit.

I keep wanting them to do something with Detmer (lady on the bridge with the facial implants), and despite finally naming her this season, they really haven't.

There's a lot of great stuff, but they're trying to "fix" the parts that drag, rather than just letting them fade off and refocusing to find what audiences are engaging with.

This last episode suffers because it should have been tightened up so that the episode finished with the battle with Control and getting Discovery to the point where it jumps. And the bridge crew look out, and something's not quite right, run credits. Instead, they cut it BEFORE the fight with Control, meaning there was a lot of planning and chatting and no actual progress forward, really. And next episode will either stretch everything out to make the jump still occur at the end of the episode, or that jump will happen halfway in and then we'll get a half-episode to deal with some simple stuff, like two half-episodes crammed together, which will make both feel "eh".
    Last edited by Endus; 2019-04-14 at 07:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    quote".
    I agree with all that you said tbh.

I can't imagine hating a show so much I watch it religiously every week.
    i dont hate the show, i hate that everything is almost about her

there is many characters there that could do the same things, they saving the day, more the actual crew be involved but no

i want the show to continue but fear that if they somewhat kill her or something the show will probably end and many people being out of job just because they focus so much in her

ex of Castle in my recent memory what happens when its to much focused and the actor or the writers kills the show because being to important on it, here is almost all about her and little scenes on the others

and except maybe Tily, all others are or not being used like Saru and the pilots or boring stuff in the others like Stamets

i just want to the show to give more storys that impact the "day" to others and not only with Burnham, even Pike that is a great character and a Captain he almost didn't have any

i just want a fresh of new air on the show, two seasons about Burnham being in the focus is enough

Season picked up nicely, but this weeks episode was a little slow, especially with the previous ones. Setting up a new character with only one episode to go leads me to believe this season might end on a cliffhanger, which I hate.

They keep trying to make the show about the romantic entanglements of Burnham/Ash, and Stamets/Culber. The first is boring and trite and useless. The second is an interesting concept, but they've taken that and turned it into melodrama, with lingering looks of longing as they don't deal with their shit.
    You forgot the other "romantic" entanglement: Stamets/Reno. I could live with a show with them throwing shade at each other all the time with a different crewperson each week acting as ref.

Was there a reason they couldn't use the spore drive to out run S32 (before they used it to charge the Crystal thing)? They've jumped 55kly before which at current warp speeds is around 100 years. They even mention they cant contact starfleet as s32 is blocking their subspace, but why cant they jump there?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wezmon View Post
    Was there a reason they couldn't use the spore drive to out run S32 (before they used it to charge the Crystal thing)? They've jumped 55kly before which at current warp speeds is around 100 years. They even mention they cant contact starfleet as s32 is blocking their subspace, but why cant they jump there?
    I'd have to rewatch to check the particulars, but I think it was about minimizing the variables and jumping forward from close to where her mother originally jumped, to make it as easy as possible to locate her in that future.

There's every reason to think Control's figured that out, so leaving just means they'd be jumping back into an ambush at a later date.

what a stupid silly show, i hope it gets canceled soon.
    last episode was so boring and melodramatic

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soimu View Post
    "I don't like a show, so I want it cancelled."

So mature...

Well, a lot of us actually like it, and there will be a third season. Just don't watch it and let the ones who like it have their fun.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soimu View Post
    Again, "I hate this show so much I never miss an episode".

If she comes back I SWEAR to GOD that I will never watch this show again.

All that drams, connection, and feelings of endings, she BETTER stay in the future or DIE getting there.

Quote Originally Posted by WoWGoneBad View Post
    If she comes back I SWEAR to GOD that I will never watch this show again.

All that drams, connection, and feelings of endings, she BETTER stay in the future or DIE getting there.
    Another one bites the dust.

And another one and another one...

Can't people enjoy sci-fis anymore?

I don't remember people bitching so bad about Daniel in Stargate being ressurected like 4 times.

They kill Burnham then ST ends there, Spock goes back to Enterprise, and you're left with Saru, Stamets and Tilly as main cast...

Just enjoy the ride, while it lasts. <3

its isn't about killing her or wtv, its just make the story be about all of them

all helping (in major way) etc, not 1 more season about here again

we like the show, we hate the writing is all about her, just make all share the spotlight

and your ex do Daniel of Stargate being ressurected like 4 times is the perfect example, All of the team mattered not just Daniel, they all helped in various ways on each episode and that was great so that wasn't a problem him being ressurected

not in ST D, its like 85% just about her, even Spock that is a major character is merely a sidekick now on her side

i complain because i want the show to be better, to have more seasons but more and more we can see that people are fed up of the story about her all the time

one more season of being about her will kill the show and thats regrettable

Quote Originally Posted by fakaroonie View Post
    Another one bites the dust.

And another one and another one...

Can't people enjoy sci-fis anymore?

I don't remember people bitching so bad about Daniel in Stargate being ressurected like 4 times.

They kill Burnham then ST ends there, Spock goes back to Enterprise, and you're left with Saru, Stamets and Tilly as main cast...

Just enjoy the ride, while it lasts. <3
    I do like the show, but that episode made it seem like it was her final moments. To have us go through all that exposition and melodrama about dieing and losing Burnham for good, to have her come back would make that show all but useless and pointless. That was a great episode of people in a dire situation making their last rites, the nest episode should have some of that come to pass, including Burnham having to be stuck in the future without some last minute hail mary techobabble way to save her.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWGoneBad View Post
    I do like the show, but that episode made it seem like it was her final moments. To have us go through all that exposition and melodrama about dieing and losing Burnham for good, to have her come back would make that show all but useless and pointless. That was a great episode of people in a dire situation making their last rites, the nest episode should have some of that come to pass, including Burnham having to be stuck in the future without some last minute hail mary techobabble way to save her.
    Err, why do people think it's the Discovery skeleton crew we're saying goodbye to?

I'm really, really certain that we're jumping forward with them and following whatever goes on in that future, Burnham and all.

Also, we know Discovery gets back. See the Short Trek: Calypso.