Page 96 of 115 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I don't understand the hate for this show. It's really good. I'm definitely not "left wing" and I don't like "SJW propaganda" but I'm not sensing much of it at all. Maybe it's cause I just watch the episodes and the don't really follow what goes on in social media about it. I mean it's Star Trek. Even the old shows touched these topics. I mean the only thing I can think of is those 2 gay guys kissing and a boy that looks awfully a lot like a girl? Hell, The Expanse had a lesbian kissing scene and no one cared or accuses it of being "sjw".

Quote Originally Posted by Amarys View Post
    I don't understand the hate for this show.
    For me, I hate it because I have certain expectations for star trek that every one of the shows has followed until now. Even enterprise followed the same basic formula of episodic stuff and standalone episodes for the most part.

In addition to the focus on action and strife turned up by JJ abrams style directing, I absolutely loathe the characters. Saru is a bitch that I would never follow or acknowledge as my leader. Burnham, tilly, etc... none of those are people I like. Stamets is alright. Ironically the person I liked the most (lorca) is off the show and was the big bad. I'd loved if they just somehow found the OG one and shoehorned him back into captain.

The whole time thing is also something I'm not interested in.

Conversely, the expanse feels infinitely more real and less forced. The writing is far more clever. I love nearly all the characters in some way, shape, or form (fuck chrisjen, though).

New star trek just doesn't feel like old star trek. Same problem I had with star wars. Star trek needs a "mandalorean" treatment that star wars got. A true renaissance revival of the IP, not some new adaptation that shits all over what originally made it popular.

First off, the characters are god awful, with Michael Burnham sticking out like a sore tumb. Every god damn season her arc is basically the same; she learns that lying and backstabbing people is not how to earn people's trust and getting them to listen to you.

Every damn season it's resolved by her tearing up and stating how much she loves the other person/the federation. This is then leads to, lo and behold, her unfounded whimsical ideas always being right, and the people in charge that have all the information and experience possible, being dumb and wrong for not to going along with her guessing games.

Along with that, the rest of the plot is usually really, really dumb. This season a century has passed since an unknown event caused space travel to be reigned in. Don't worry though, the USS Discovery arrives from over half a millennium in the past and is going to tell everyone what really happened. I mean, when talking to the admiral about the event, they even blatantly state: "Yeah, but you didn't have us. You should allow us to investigate what you've been investigating for over a century". It doesn't happen organically, or by accident. Nope, they straight out state that they're going to solve it.

There's various other dumb stuff, like Tilly, an overweight woman, winning a running competition from people in peak condition, etc... . But that's minor and wouldn't be an issue if the rest of the characters and story weren't so god damn shit.
    Last edited by Elkas; 2020-12-28 at 02:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post
    New star trek just doesn't feel like old star trek. Same problem I had with star wars. Star trek needs a "mandalorean" treatment that star wars got. A true renaissance revival of the IP, not some new adaptation that shits all over what originally made it popular.
    I guess this is one of the reasons I like Discovery then. I never liked old Star Wars and I don't like episodic sci-fi shows without bigger story arcs in general. They're always the same and reuse the same plots.

That aside, I'll give you Tilly. Not really a fan. She should be more of a comedy relief character and maybe a "confidante-best friend" type of character. She doesn't really fit in any leadership position. However I actually like Burnham and Saru well enough and Georgiou was great too, hope she isn't out for good.

It's a bit telling when the only good moments of the season involve Emperor Georgiou. Burnham continues to be the same one trick character. Saru must have his head checked for putting ensign Tilly in charge.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorshen View Post
    It's a bit telling when the only good moments of the season involve Emperor Georgiou.
    Yah, when she left the show wherever she left - I was shocked. I was also shocked that they transformed her into OG Georgiou. Killed the character and got rid of the body.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm dropping this abomination of a show.. I really can't stomach it anymore.

It's hilarious how a 2nd in command has to go ask freakin' ensigns how to do his job.. worthless. The entire Discovery crew is worthless and with Pike gone there isn't a single charismatic character left. Michael hasn't learned a damn thing since season 1 and is still the same character.

The Federation had done well to split that stupid crew up after arriving at HQ and take the spore-drive so more ships could use it. But nah.. Discovery is here to save the day, and by Discovery I mean Burnham since the rest of the crew doesn't really matter nor get fleshed out.

Hell we get a new Trill character but all they're doing with her is push that LGBTQ agenda instead of making THEM an engaging and interesting character.
    Last edited by Sanguinerd; 2020-12-28 at 07:03 PM.
    Subarashii chin chin mono
    Kintama no kami aru

Most of my issues with the show revolve around how Burnham is written:

-she’s starfleet’s first mutineer. They roped her onto the bridge convincingly enough in S1, but her history should be an albatross, moreso that her stepping out of line even once should have her removed from the bridge. She should be on constant thin ice. She isn’t. It throws off my suspension of disbelief.

-she gets involved in everything when logically others should be involved as well and she should not. I get that she’s the main character, but imagine TNG if Data jumped in and did stuff that Data -could- do. We wouldn’t know half the crew because Data was constantly saving the day. I guess I look at Trek as an ensemble cast show, so I’m annoyed I don’t get to know the other characters more. Not her fault per-se but it revolves around her.

-the above two problems end up messing up the entire rest of the crew because they’re written around Burnham and not the logical workings of a star fleet vessel. Someone should logically be concerned about her shenanigans endangering the whole ship and risking getting everyone killed. Moreso when they are the only ship with what is still unheard of tech centuries in the future. We had that data moment, that reckoning if you will, with Measure of a Man in TNG (an episode many consider among Trek’s finest) and data wasn’t really doing anything to provoke that reckoning, he was just existing. Burnham has been provoking a reckoning that just gets more overdue the longer the series goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by Amarys View Post
    I don't understand the hate for this show. It's really good.
    The main character, Burnham, is probably the least interesting character on the show, to the detriment of all others who severely lack in character development.

The general writing level of the show is... bad.

A good example would be one of the earlier episodes this season: Saru is in his ready room when the computer screen behind him changes colour and now addresses him in a different voice, later presumed to be the computer/sphere data having gained awareness and 'looking out' for it's crew.

Like... they spent the last season preventing a super AI from obtaining the sphere data so it wouldn't gain awareness (despite showing all signs of it anyway) and conquer & annihilate the known universe.

This scene shows the beginnings of that happening on board Discovery and literally nobody gives a shit.

Plot is okay, some of the characters are written poorly and there are some scenes that are really bad. But it still scratches that Star Trek-itch for me, even if it's not very good (and at least it's better than the recent movies).

The episode before the most recent one was quite possibly the worse episode so far, I had to periodically look away at times. I think the best episodes where the ones with Pike. He had gravitas.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

So who's ready to see Burnham save all of them and bring peace to all galaxy

Also to be in front of the President and have the highest distinct

Maybe be higher that the Admiral but probably they would save that for next season

Quote Originally Posted by Spike` View Post
    So who's ready to see Burnham save all of them and bring peace to all galaxy

Also to be in front of the President and have the highest distinct

Maybe be higher that the Admiral but probably they would save that for next season
    Don't forget, her voice will be breaking and she'll be crying when doing so. PLEASE FEEL EMOTIONAL.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Why still watch through a third season when you clearly dislike something so strongly? Is it literally just to be able to complain about it? Surely time can be better spent on other shows?
    Disaster tourism.

Plus I mostly skim through the episodes now to see if there's anything worth watching/listening to, I barely spend 10 min. watching each new one.

Oh, and guess who came back since my previous comment? The sphere AI!

...in the form of three cutesy bots, because of course.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ara Myrr View Post
    Disaster tourism.

Plus I mostly skim through the episodes now to see if there's anything worth watching/listening to, I barely spend 10 min. watching each new one.

Oh, and guess who came back since my previous comment? The sphere AI!

...in the form of three cutesy bots, because of course.
    It's like your post, I have only read one word on ten...
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    It's like your post, I have only read one word on ten...
    And just like an episode of disco, you still perfectly understood! Incredible, isn't it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Discovery has gotten a bit more weird and stuff. Still miles ahead of the cringe garbage that came before 2009.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    Discovery has gotten a bit more weird and stuff. Still miles ahead of the cringe garbage that came before 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Ara Myrr View Post
    And just like an episode of disco, you still perfectly understood! Incredible, isn't it?
    Actually you missed a bunch of shit. I liked it when Vance served Osyraa a bowl of shit. Twice.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SavoirFaire View Post
    Most of my issues with the show revolve around how Burnham is written:

-she’s starfleet’s first mutineer. They roped her onto the bridge convincingly enough in S1, but her history should be an albatross, moreso that her stepping out of line even once should have her removed from the bridge. She should be on constant thin ice. She isn’t. It throws off my suspension of disbelief.

-she gets involved in everything when logically others should be involved as well and she should not. I get that she’s the main character, but imagine TNG if Data jumped in and did stuff that Data -could- do. We wouldn’t know half the crew because Data was constantly saving the day. I guess I look at Trek as an ensemble cast show, so I’m annoyed I don’t get to know the other characters more. Not her fault per-se but it revolves around her.

-the above two problems end up messing up the entire rest of the crew because they’re written around Burnham and not the logical workings of a star fleet vessel. Someone should logically be concerned about her shenanigans endangering the whole ship and risking getting everyone killed. Moreso when they are the only ship with what is still unheard of tech centuries in the future. We had that data moment, that reckoning if you will, with Measure of a Man in TNG (an episode many consider among Trek’s finest) and data wasn’t really doing anything to provoke that reckoning, he was just existing. Burnham has been provoking a reckoning that just gets more overdue the longer the series goes on.
    This.

Me and hubby enjoy the show "For what it is." NOT Top Star Trek Writing - but B grade writing in a Star Trek Setting.

But I really think the whole show would be done a favor if the Burnham Character took a back seat, or was written off the show. Because of the quoted sections - because of the hoops the entire script jumps through to, for whatever reason, keep that character the end-all-be-all Star Of The Show. I find most of the other characters far more engaging, interesting, and fun than Burnham - esp. after 3 seasons of her. And wish we got more of them and not just 'them how they relate to Burnham.'

So we just enjoy it as a B-Grade TV show and take it for what it is. This allows us to have fun with the show and enjoy ourselves and not be disappointed or 'grumble' every week when the show is what it is. We expect the plots are gonna fall apart, we expect time travel isn't going to "matter" much (in fact we have a running bet that at the end of this season the show will put us back in original time line like none of this happened - not really expecting that but honestly wouldn't be surprised!) but because we like it 'enough' its 'enough' for us to enjoy it.

If you enjoy - enjoy and have fun. If you don't, I get it. Move on to other shows and I hope you find better!

I don't get hating on a forum for something you don't watch - or have stopped watching. I don't get hating something and continuing to watch it, either. *shrugs*

We did like the prior two seasons more than this one though; though this season started out stronger and we were hopeful to get more 'classic Trek' that has since stopped being the expectation (again) and so now at the end of every episode my husband just closes with, "...and its just the best written show on television!" (as a way of laughing at how ridiculous its gotten)
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

Haven't watched the last 2 episodes, but decided to read a review/synopsis hoping that it will motivate me to do so.

Found out they made Burnham captain.

I'm 100% not watching that shit.