View Poll Results: Should the government do more?

Voters
70. This poll is closed
  • Yes absolutely.

36 51.43%
  • No. They're on their own.

12 17.14%
  • No. They deserve this for bad life choices.

22 31.43%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Err I'm advocating for much lower spending on the military and much spending on the people who need a hand. That's not what Trump is proposing.
    Maybe if Canada actually spent their NATO contribution of 3% of its GDP (along with Europe) on military spending than the US wouldn't have to spend so much. I believe Canada spends a pathetically low 0.7% of its GDP on the military and just expects the US to step up for them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    Yes. Being born into a shitty living situation as a poor person was the sole choice of that person. Solid logic.
    Except that isn't what this is about, it's about people not being able to budget their income. If you want nice things than work hard for them, don't expect the government and other people to give you hand outs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadee View Post
    Maybe if Canada actually spent their NATO contribution of 3% of its GDP (along with Europe) on military spending than the US wouldn't have to spend so much. I believe Canada spends a pathetically low 0.7% of its GDP on the military and just expects the US to step up for them.
    Yeah what's cute about this is that you probably really have no concept of what you just typed means, and how much of what you typed is very much dependent on factors no accounted for in the figures you gave. Which I am not contesting, nor am I agreeing with.

The point is the numbers are likely right, but you have no reason why Canada doesn't spend 3% of it's GDP on defense and we do. It might have to do with the fact we spend more money on out fucking military out of our GDF than all of the other NATO allies and non combined.

And for fucking what, you seen any tanks or military assaults coming from other nation on U.S Soil?

Likely many of the NATO allies just like everybody else spend what they do, because like it or not Trump kind of happens to be right about our over eagerness to police the world.

But the spending or lack of isn't anyone else's problem, as much as over spending is ours, especially when we don't even house or treat them men and women flag waived as honored veterans.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Except that isn't what this is about, it's about people not being able to budget their income. If you want nice things than work hard for them, don't expect the government and other people to give you hand outs.

Nonsense what you have nor most people has anything to do with how hard they worked.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

7+ Year Old Account
    I definitely call bullshit on the article, they only reference a study at the beginning and then base their whole article on that statistic that a lot of Americans spend their full paycheck.

What are they spending their paycheck on?
    They don't really give any information on this just that 40% of people in the whole study spend a lot of money on housing...?

All in all...I don't like the article and don't think it supports the claims made in any way.
    "I don't contemplate, I meditate, then off your fucking head" -Kendrick Lamar
    "If you have no sauce, then you're lost. But, you can also get lost in the sauce."-Gucci Mane
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"-Colonel Sanders

Quote Originally Posted by Cherise View Post
    Sigh.. no, but you shouldn't let a bunch of incompetent (and greedy) people run things cause thats always a recipe for disaster. More government is ALWAYS bad. Less corruption though, more oversight maybe.. but to quote Ben Franklin here "those who give up their liberty for safety, deserve neither".
    Yeah, let's not use that quote for this...

https://www.lawfareblog.com/what-ben...in-really-said

Yes. Being born into a shitty living situation as a poor person was the sole choice of that person. Solid logic.
    What does that have to do with anything? People move here with literally a backpack and no money and do just fine. Solid logic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Good for you.

In my country, even those at the bottom won't be in financial ruin and living in slums. People own nice cars, multiple homes, buy and do whatevery they want, save thousands of euros and all that jazz just fine here as well. Even people coming from the very poorest of poor in this country, have an equal chance to make it to the top through our education, and won't face risks of being ruined by health issues/injuries on their way up.
    And for some reason people got you all hype and you think its not that way in america. Silly silly boy.

Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    What does that have to do with anything? People move here with literally a backpack and no money and do just fine. Solid logic.

- - - Updated - - -

And for some reason people got you all hype and you think its not that way in america. Silly silly boy.
    It's not that way in the US, it's called the Nordic Model for a reason.

The US has SO much poverty.

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    You DO realize that if the military spends less than means countries that live under the US defense umbrella will have to start paying for their own defense. Ignoring that, when did it become the government's responsibility to cover for the bad spending decisions of its citizens?
    there is a difference between bad life choices and getting exploited, manipulated, ect. Imagine if Comcast, Att, ect actually had competition, or Tesla wasn't being actively blocked from selling directly to the consumer in many states.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    OMG, Tenni has gone full Trump, that sounds like America First talk!
    Well, the economy was the key factor in his win. When you consider the US median household income when adjusted for inflation, is lower now then it was in the late 1990's....understandable.

Exactly. Spend less on the military and more on providing help to the very poor. At the same time crack down on these loan and mortgage companies. Ensure that downpayments are high.
    That's the not issue though. Do you just say random shit hoping it sticks, better yet, have you considered using your brain?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Well, the economy was the key factor in his win. When you consider the US median household income when adjusted for inflation, is lower now then it was in the late 1990's....understandable.
    Yes, but the income of the top 1% is larger than it has ever been, even though conservatives bitch about regressive and over taxation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hashtronaut View Post
    I definitely call bullshit on the article, they only reference a study at the beginning and then base their whole article on that statistic that a lot of Americans spend their full paycheck.

What are they spending their paycheck on?
    They don't really give any information on this just that 40% of people in the whole study spend a lot of money on housing...?

All in all...I don't like the article and don't think it supports the claims made in any way.
    Well it is CNN so you have to assume its fake news until proven right.

- - - Updated - - -

How can you budget if you have to spend all your money to meet basic needs?
    There are so many opportunities in the US that if your income only covers basic needs than you aren't trying hard enough.

Err I'm advocating for much lower spending on the military and much spending on the people who need a hand. That's not what Trump is proposing.
    But the $1 trillion dollar infrastructure? Thats social spending. anyhow we have Va Healthcare which gets funded as much as military defense and it is a total disgrace so much for social spending.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well it is CNN so you have to assume its fake news until proven right.

- - - Updated - - -

There are so many opportunities in the US that if your income only covers basic needs than you aren't trying hard enough.
    No there aren't which is precisely why some are bitching about Immigrants taking jobs. As for hard enough, unless you want to put your resume up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    That's the not issue though. Do you just say random shit hoping it sticks, better yet, have you considered using your brain?
    Contribute to the thread and quit flaming. Actually discuss what should be done please.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrages View Post
    Why do you believe that more government handouts will actually solve this problem?
    Yes, proven by a comparison of blue states to red states.

People in poverty already qualify for a plethora of social services, scholarships, and health care. What they need is a greater incentive to actually work full-time.
    Wrong, they don't automatically qualify, poverty has levels, none of which have a plethora of anything. No what they need is education, and something better than JUST feel good notions and handouts.

A person going to school isn't likely to be in prison, a person getting healthcare is likely to be healthier to work, person being helped by social services has less need to commit crime.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    No there aren't which is precisely why some are bitching about Immigrants taking jobs. As for hard enough, unless you want to put your resume up.
    The only jobs immigrants take are low wage jobs no one else wants or jobs that employers can give H1B1 visas to immigrants for so they can pay them less. I do think the government should restrict visas H1B1 visas but that is another issue.

7+ Year Old Account
    Contribute to the thread and quit flaming. Actually discuss what should be done please.
    Well based on the article nothing needs to be done because the article didn't convince me there is a problem.
    "I don't contemplate, I meditate, then off your fucking head" -Kendrick Lamar
    "If you have no sauce, then you're lost. But, you can also get lost in the sauce."-Gucci Mane
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"-Colonel Sanders

The government can fix this but now how you're proposing. The only way to fix this is with a universally increased private sector wage, I.E. all the money stolen from labor by capital in the last few decades needs to be returned. So, you massively raise the corporate and investment tax rates and include a huge (like 100%) deduction for all payroll expenses for everyone at the company within x% of the median wage. That way either capitalists pay enough into the system to keep capitalism actually working correctly, or they pay a surcharge for the government to do it for them. Oh, and also single payer healthcare and removal of high density zoning prohibitions, but that's another story.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only jobs immigrants take are low wage jobs no one else wants or jobs that employers can give H1B1 visas to immigrants for so they can pay them less. I do think the government should restrict visas H1B1 visas but that is another issue.
    True on point on low wage jobs. Half a point on the second, only because H1B1 visas are also because not enough American CAN fill those jobs. So my point is immigrants aren't the problem, but they will get blamed not only just by Trumpsters.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hashtronaut View Post
    Well based on the article nothing needs to be done because the article didn't convince me there is a problem.
    Wait what? So it's ok for more than half of your fellow citizens to be living on the edge?