How do servers work?

I played on Japanese beta back years ago, then before summer sale finished I bought the base game for a discount via steam yesterday. I live in Japan. My steam store is set to Japan. I have my japan enix account as well. But I don't understand how to find out japanese servers. I don't want to play it with 300ms. I didn't have a chance to launch the game yesterday except fully steam and launcher download which was a total of 28 (around?).

Anyway I see the client is multi language I think. You don't get to choose asia, eu, usa servers from the launcher. I believe it just changes the game language. Then how do you understand you are in a Japan based server in game? I definitely want to choose Japan based server with Japanese speaking people. Also any recommendations? Which servers are Japan?

Maybe I could find my answers when I got into the game but as I said I didn't have the time for that. And I sure as hell don't want to spend time creating a character on every server to see my ping.

One last thing, was it bad that I didn't import my beta data? It asked me if I want to do it or not and I said "make fresh". Have I done something stupid? I kinda clicked next on a whim actually so I would regret if I missed something by not copying beta data.

Thanks in advance.

The data centers once you launch the game are clearly labeled by region.

If it launches straight into character creation, back out one screen and select the data center option.

"Make Fresh" should be fine, don't have a server recommendation as I don't play on JP data center.
    Last edited by Aurimas; 2017-07-05 at 11:38 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    The Mana, Elemental and Gaia data centers are all in Japan so any server you pick from those will be local for you.

Try Chocobo or Shinryu.

I think the import / start fresh is just your character appearance if you saved the data from beta. I'm not sure on this one as it's been a long time since beta.
    Last edited by xerus; 2017-07-06 at 01:58 PM.

it is as you said thank you guys. I picked gaia then there were a suggested legacy server. Ri ~ something. Anyway it kinda scared me. There are too many people. Wonder if I did the right choice for end game content. Is there character transfer service between servers?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gref View Post
    it is as you said thank you guys. I picked gaia then there were a suggested legacy server. Ri ~ something. Anyway it kinda scared me. There are too many people. Wonder if I did the right choice for end game content. Is there character transfer service between servers?
    Yea there is a paid transfer service on the mog station.