Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    So will VOICE be reporting this as a "victim of immigrant crime"?

Keeeeeeeeekkkkkkkkkkk...

Quote Originally Posted by Ransath View Post
    As in all instances like these, I was not there. I will give the police officer every benefit of the doubt until it is proven otherwise. See, that is what is called "innocent until proven guilty".
    "The police are in the right by default" is pretty much the exact opposite of innocent unti...

Oh wait it's Ransath.

Hahah, good one buddy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    There is one feel free to use it.

But there are numerous non-Americans who have seemingly nothing better to do with their lives than tell us how to run our country, it's pretty tiring.
    Must be because they are fed up with numerous Americans telling everyone how great their country supposedly is and never shutting up about it.
    That gets tiring.

Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    I would argue there can be some value in a full compiled list for the same reason you stated its rather meaningless. Sure a raw numerical value might not tell you anything as far as comparison to your peers (by your definition of developed Western nations of reasonable size), but if you have the full list it gives you a good snapshot of who your peers actually are (what countries you find yourself comparable to.

For example being near the bottom of the 'developed Western world' can be a negative, but a full list gives you more context. Are you close to the rest but simply happen to be the one slightly below? Or are you in fact substantially lower? And so on. The difference between "Here's 12 luxury cars, but this one has a flat tire" and "Here's 12 luxury cars, but this one has no engine and is actively on fire."
    Yes but you intentionally mask the reality if you do so. Comparing yourself to third world shitholes and tiny nations (which distorts percentages) helps hide the fact that the US has something like quadruple the homicide rate of its peers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    That is not how it is with Greenland and Denmark. Denmark does not see Greenland as part of Denmark, it sees it as part of the Kingdom of Denmark, so its the state that decides on the matter, not some random individuals thinking they have another culture than everyone around them.
    Every state is a random group of people thinking they have another culture. In fact that's what culture is.

How about this one - like many cities Melbourne has a Chinatown. That has a real distinct culture. Should Chinatown be able to become a separate country?

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Every state is a random group of people thinking they have another culture. In fact that's what culture is.

How about this one - like many cities Melbourne has a Chinatown. That has a real distinct culture. Should Chinatown be able to become a separate country?
    If Australia, Victoria, and Melbourne offer them to become a seperate country? Yes, why not?
    Who would tell them no? You?

If Australia, Victoria, and Melbourne offer them to become a seperate country? Yes, why not?
    Who would tell them no? You?
    Chinatown is like one street in Melbourne so I'd like to see that lol.

You don't feel even slightly ridiculous yet?

Make fire arms available to EVERYONE, and watch as the police force gets paranoid and treats people like they are all rabid cop-killers.
    Mother pus bucket!

Chinatown is like one street in Melbourne so I'd like to see that lol.

You don't feel even slightly ridiculous yet?
    No, I feel amused.
    Very much so.
    You are going to extraordinary lenghts to try and prove a point with an example so poorly set up that it has almost nothing to do with it.
    It is truly hillarious.

No, I feel amused.
    Very much so.
    You are going to extraordinary lenghts to try and prove a point with an example so poorly set up that it has almost nothing to do with it.
    It is truly hillarious.
    I gave you a reductio ad absurdum argument and you said "yes, I love being absurd!".

Yes but you intentionally mask the reality if you do so. Comparing yourself to third world shitholes and tiny nations (which distorts percentages) helps hide the fact that the US has something like quadruple the homicide rate of its peers.
    How does it intentionally mask reality?
    You go by something like the Human Development Index and find yourself in the top 20, then take a look around at your peers. Then you go by international homicide rate and suddenly find yourself at 125, then take a look at your new peers, then look and realize that the top 20 is largely unchanged and you've just plummeted over 100 spaces in the standings. How is that masking reality or not an instructive metric that you clearly have a murder problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    There is no evidence of any provocation whatsoever. "Premeditation" doesn't require long-term planning, just that it's not in the heat of the moment, and there was no "heat" to this moment at all.

Is there a reason you're being ridiculous, here?
    So you are you implying that he decided to kill the woman right then and there, someone who he has never met?

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    So you are you implying that he decided to kill the woman right then and there, someone who he has never met?
    Well he either decided to shoot at a woman without provocation or he is completely inept at even basic gun safety. Yes, this could still be very negligent manslaughter. Don't know if that casts a better light on cop training.

Yeah there's no real justification I see here. Unless some major details are revealed that change the entire story, it looks like the cop deserves as much punishment as he can get for this. Good job reinforcing stereotypes!
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

Quote Originally Posted by Mekh View Post
    Well he either decided to shoot at a woman without provocation or he is completely inept at even basic gun safety. Yes, this could still be very negligent manslaughter. Don't know if that casts a better light on cop training.
    My statement was that anyone who thinks this is first degree despite the little information we have is laughable at best. I just don't see him coming to meet a woman he never met and thought, "you know what I am going to shoot this bitch right in front of my partner."

I believe what more likely happen is, a under trailed under qualified officer, was easily spooked, heard a noise and shot the first moving target he saw. He should be charged for his crime and never allowed wear a badge again.

I gave you a reductio ad absurdum argument and you said "yes, I love being absurd!".
    No, I said "yes, you made an absurd reduction that has nothing to do with the original argument".
    You being incohrerent looked higly amusing to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I'm curious as to what led to this shooting.
    i believe i read about this the other day and what led to the shooting was that the officer was "startled"

these excuses keep getting worse and worse. these cops need to be made an example of... too many of them are getting away with it.

a cop shoots someone oops it was just an accident and they get paid to leave. someone shoots a cop they are lucky if they make it to trial.

10+ Year Old Account
    My statement was that anyone who thinks this is first degree despite the little information we have is laughable at best. I just don't see him coming to meet a woman he never met and thought, "you know what I am going to shoot this bitch right in front of my partner."

I believe what more likely happen is, a under trailed under qualified officer, was easily spooked, heard a noise and shot the first moving target he saw. He should be charged for his crime and never allowed wear a badge again.
    At best, you're making the case that maybe he should only be charged with 2nd degree murder. That's probably easier to prove. But my stance that the officer should face the highest available penalties for whichever crime they're convicted of remains true; we give police officers special powers and privileges, and they have training on what the law is, and that makes any illegal action much more dangerous and less excusable, and they should be punished accordingly when convicted of such.

And while it doesn't seem to be true in this case, any fellow officer who doesn't report suspicious activity by their colleagues or partners needs to be charged as an accessory, to boot. They're not "good cops"; they're supporting and condoning their colleague's illegal behaviour. This includes partners who don't bring this stuff to Internal Affairs; if an officer is siding with their criminal partner rather than the people of the city/state/country, they're a criminal as well.
    Last edited by Endus; 2017-07-20 at 02:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    And while it doesn't seem to be true in this case, any fellow officer who doesn't report suspicious activity by their colleagues or partners needs to be charged as an accessory, to boot. They're not "good cops"; they're supporting and condoning their colleague's illegal behaviour. This includes partners who don't bring this stuff to Internal Affairs; if an officer is siding with their criminal partner rather than the people of the city/state/country, they're a criminal as well.
    This and this and this again.

Quote Originally Posted by XangXu View Post
    People need to start treating the United States as they would a dangerous 3rd world country, becsuse that is honestly what it has become.
    I took the decision to not go on a vacation there long time ago. They have a higher homicide rate than Ukraine, Niger, Rwanda, Bangladesh and Kazakhstan. And Ukraine is in the middle of a civil war.
    Also I don't like being forced to use a credit card, as having cash on you in the US is considered an illegal activity and it can get the cash confiscated.

No, I said "yes, you made an absurd reduction that has nothing to do with the original argument".
    You being incohrerent looked higly amusing to me.
    Your premise is that "distinct culture" should grant a right to form an independent country, is it not?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    How does it intentionally mask reality?
    You go by something like the Human Development Index and find yourself in the top 20, then take a look around at your peers. Then you go by international homicide rate and suddenly find yourself at 125, then take a look at your new peers, then look and realize that the top 20 is largely unchanged and you've just plummeted over 100 spaces in the standings. How is that masking reality or not an instructive metric that you clearly have a murder problem?
    Versus your peers, most developed industrial/Western nations are around 1 per 100k, you're like 4+.

The US is a major outlier.

Your premise is that "distinct culture" should grant a right to form an independent country, is it not?
    My premise?
    See that is why I find you so highly amusing.
    You were the one to reduce it to "distinct culture", while I was the one pointing out all this time that "distinct culture is not enough".
    That is what I meant with "you reduced it to something absurd by leaving out all that really matters".

Let me go back and show you the first post of mine that you took exception with:

That is not how it is with Greenland and Denmark. Denmark does not see Greenland as part of Denmark, it sees it as part of the Kingdom of Denmark, so its the state that decides on the matter, not some random individuals thinking they have another culture than everyone around them.
    See how I did explicitly state that just a different culture is not enough?
    So let me reapeat: You are hillarious. Exceptionally so.