Page 1 of 25
... LastLast

What is up with all these angry young men?

Why are there more and more angry young men this decade? Is this a symptom of a much deeper social problem? If so what is it? Do young people feel that their futures have been stolen from them?

How can we turn the tide of the ever increasing anger and hatred?
    Last edited by CmdrShep2154; 2019-04-29 at 09:29 PM.

From my deduction based on other forms of socializing in this digital age. Sexism.

That's all, they're not longer allowed to be tough, sexist, racist, bigoted, etc etc so their being called out along with their mediums and they're cranky. They're cranky cause they're useless.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Its called female supremacism coupled with male vilification and dehumanization, disguised as equality.

But is much easier to blame them, and call them losers.

Quote Originally Posted by Paraka View Post
    From my deduction based on other forms of socializing in this digital age. Sexism.

That's all, they're not longer allowed to be tough, sexist, racist, bigoted, etc etc so their being called out along with their mediums and they're cranky. They're cranky cause they're useless.
    So gamergate was a prelude to something far worse?

4 Fucking posts in and someone brings out the bloated corpse of GG.

Quote Originally Posted by CmdrShep2154 View Post
    So gamergate was a prelude to something far worse?
    I dunno, you may want to ask them. I apparently fall under that category of angry young racist, sexist bigot because I don't like big crowds so I join no marches and have no Twitter. All cause I don't like crowds, so my opinion would ultimately be invalid as to why.

Meanwhile it's perfectly acceptable for certain other people to racist and sexist. "Men are XXXXXX(insert insult)" is perfectly fine. "White people are XXXXXX" is perfectly fine.

https://www.amazon.com/WAR-AGAINST-B.../dp/0684849577

This is a good place to start. Once the war of "equality" came into play, it's been as a lot of people have stated, anti-male rhetoric. If you're a male, you're wrong. Even though you obviously didn't choose to be born a male, but by choosing to continue to identify as one, you're basically the devil.

Extremisms of the left, right, center, religion and so on, w/e are a plague. And should be fought from all sides.

Quote Originally Posted by igualitarist View Post
    Its called female supremacism coupled with male vilification and dehumanization, disguised as equality.

But is much easier to blame them, and call them losers.
    Basically. I mean you have countries like Canada and the UK where social media posts that are racist/sexist are punished by law......unless you post "white people are genetically inferior scum" and everyone knows who it was that posted it. She's still walking around free and clear and still posting racist vitriol. So even in a place where hate speech is punishable by law, it's ok if you're not white or not male.

Why are there more and more angry young men this decade? Is this a symptom of a much deeper social problem? If so what is it? Do young people feel that their futures have been stolen from them?

dont know were hanging out, but i see anger from both sides not just men.... unless you see women being angry a normal thing

Quote Originally Posted by agentsi View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/WAR-AGAINST-B.../dp/0684849577

This is a good place to start. Once the war of "equality" came into play, it's been as a lot of people have stated, anti-male rhetoric. If you're a male, you're wrong. Even though you obviously didn't choose to be born a male, but by choosing to continue to identify as one, you're basically the devil.

Extremisms of the left, right, center, religion and so on, w/e are a plague. And should be fought from all sides.
    That book, coupled with "How to Destroy a Man Now (DAMN)" being pushed about brings some concerns of how people perceive the average man nowadays.

Ever been stopped outside of a store because your niece was crying she didn't get that $50 Paw Patrol toy and someone thought you were a pedophile kidnapping a little girl based 100% on your gender and how you looked? Because I have. Been stopped multiple times and told to wait for the cops. I tend to not be hateful, I still trust people for the most part. But because of how men are viewed I will no longer help a child that looks lost or hurt. I won't approach a woman in public as I HAVE been falsely accused of rape. I'm a nice guy, I like to think. But I don't feel safe being a nice guy.

Quote Originally Posted by ohwell View Post
    Meanwhile it's perfectly acceptable for certain other people to racist and sexist. "Men are XXXXXX(insert insult)" is perfectly fine. "White people are XXXXXX" is perfectly fine.
    yes, because generally speaking "white men are the historical wielders of all the power and influence over nearly every facet of human life on this planet, and a significant amount of oppression and suffering of human beings for the last 5000 years has been a specifically manufactured agenda by white men to horde power at the expense of others" is a factually true statement.
    certainly not all white men, obviously, and not every single thing that has happened in human history has been white men, but as of 2019 the vast majority of issues being faced by not-white-men are either solely or largely predicated on challenges created by white men and thrust upon them.

so yeah, when people on twitter bitch about the factually accurate history of human civilization, that isn't necessarily racism.
    but when you post "dem niggers be leeches" then yes, that is absolutely racism.

It would appear that there's already angry young men answering your question for you.

It's simple, people want to feel like victims, and they lash out in anger and violence.

lotta young people are angry. nihilism is extremely prevalent

10+ Year Old Account
    A lot of people projecting absolute horseshit out here.

I really don't recall the last time anyone said "IT'S NOT OKAY TO BE A WHITE MALE!"

And no, I don't mean in some twisted "well that's totes what she MEANT to say!" Brie Larson way or some random idiot on Tumblr spouting off. I mean in the frank, bullshit way that people here are saying "happens all the time."

Jesus. Grow some skin and man up. Stop being the little manlets you're accusing everyone else of being.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

while generally true i think this is a bit simplistic - it's not just sexism, or even racism, it's about the overall reduction in the immunity white men have had for most of human civilization to say and do basically whatever fucked up shit entered their minds.

if you look at it objectively, it's only in the last 85 years or so that the idea of human equality has actually been manifesting in western culture, and that shift has not coincided with a shift in the cultural power structure of white men - thus, what you end up with a society that on the whole no longer tolerates anything and everything that comes from white men, and yet you have pockets of white men who culturally haven't gotten over the idea of being entitled to do anything and everything.

it's a cultural equivalent to how if you take away a rich kid's porche and make them drive a BMW they think they're being oppressed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are there?

Maybe they are soft? Previous generations had wars to fight or pot and protests to attend to. Sports were cool for the generation afterwards. What do people do now. They play the vidya and complain online. You views aren't challenged because you can always retreat to your echo chambers.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

You think would-be Islamic militants in the Western world - also predominantly young men - are that way just because they're finding radicalization in Islam and Islam is the problem? No. They're the Islamic expression of something larger: the internet is allowing angry young men, many with limited life options, to find a resonating chamber which in turn radicalizes them. Sometimes it's Islam and we get the neighborhood idiot who think's their ISIS now. Sometimes it's white supremacy / the alt-right. Sometimes it's a bizarre techno-anarchism (see: some hacker-types). But it's all the same thing at its core.

Folks talking about "the war on boys" and feminism up thread are being ridiculous and just projecting what personally pisses them off. It's a bunch of nonsense. "Angry young men" is nothing new. Historically population booms and large populations of young men "of fighting age" sitting around, bored, without economic or personal opportunity has been incredibly destabilizing. It's toppled governments and started revolutions. It's caused wars. One of the major questions in the history of governance is how a society manages it's "young men of fighting age" in a way that doesn't cause greater issues.

The way to solve it is pretty well charted. Jobs. Work. Encourage them build ties to family (usually by starting their own) and the community. A fully employed young man working from 9 to 5, with responsibilities to their family and community, will not be hanging out on the shitty corners of the internet.

So sure, we can continue to do deep dives in the things that annoy folks. Man some feminists can sure be obnoxious cunts eh? Or we can see the current problem as what it is, which is the modern iteration of something that's been a recurring issue across many centuries, in many societies, countries and traditions, that far predate the things that annoy you.

Wanna stop these angry young men? Give them a good job and keep them in it. That's step one.

That book, coupled with "How to Destroy a Man Now (DAMN)" being pushed about brings some concerns of how people perceive the average man nowadays.
    I don't think the book I linked is in the same category as you. Hoff-Summers is advocating FOR young men, and how society as we speak, is punishing them on every level. From youth to academics, to relationships, everything.