Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Even if there is a loading station nearby, quick google search says it still takes 6 hours.

40 hours if you do it from home.

Sorry, but this will only lift off if it starts to become practical. Loading the batteries 40 hours in advance isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Malacrass View Post
    Even if there is a loading station nearby, quick google search says it still takes 6 hours.

Sorry, but this will only lift off if it starts to become practical. Loading the batteries 40 hours in advance isn't.
    That's some bad information you got there

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/ele...specs-revealed

The base version is a car that starts from $35,000. This gets an estimated range of 220 miles, does 0-60mph in 5.6s and tops out at 130mph. It’ll ‘supercharge’ to 130 miles of range in 30 minutes, or 30 miles of range per hour on a home charger.

The second version is dubbed ‘Long Range’, and is a $9,000 option over the base car’s $35k (so $44k in total), and this is where it gets interesting. The battery now gives 310 miles of range, does 0-60mph in 5.1s and tops out at 140mph. So it’s the quick-ish one. This one supercharges at a rate of 170 miles of range per 30 minutes, or home charges at 37 miles per hour.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Road trips? I'm thinking rentals will become quite popular.

You do not have to own something that crosses thousands of miles. Think outside the box.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Get yourself one of these beauties lol:

Heh, like that wouldn't be ripped out or cut open, or chewed by a dog or cat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    30k for a brand new car... seems pretty regular prices up here?
    That seems insane for a car to me but I'm not wealthy

Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    Heh, like that wouldn't be ripped out or cut open, or chewed by a dog or cat.
    I dunno...I used to live in a city where it got so cold in the winter that most people would plug in the block heater of their car over night so it would start up in the morning. Never heard of anyone really having issues with cords getting fucked with.

Also, it was a joke. You asked how you were supposed to charge it from your apartment... the glib answer is "use an extension cord."

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    That seems insane for a car to me but I'm not wealthy
    There are other cheaper cars available sure...but for most of them you're going to have to pay for petrol. Depending on how much you drive that could add up to a lot of money every year.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Don't know.
    Don't care.
    I'm never buying one.
    Poor Eeyore

Where did you get those number from?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    I dunno...I used to live in a city where it got so cold in the winter that most people would plug in the block heater of their car over night so it would start up in the morning. Never heard of anyone really having issues with cords getting fucked with.

Also, it was a joke. You asked how you were supposed to charge it from your apartment... the glib answer is "use an extension cord."

- - - Updated - - -

There are other cheaper cars available sure...but for most of them you're going to have to pay for petrol. Depending on how much you drive that could add up to a lot of money every year.
    That's true but my point was they should make the cars more affordable rather than faster. I can only go 70 mph on a road anyway, not that I drive.

That's true but my point was they should make the cars more affordable rather than faster. I can only go 70 mph on a road anyway, not that I drive.
    This is Tesla's first step to making electric cars more affordable. Compared to the Model S the Model 3 is very affordable.

Also, the price tag for the Model 3 is in line with the price for most new mid-range automobiles.
    Last edited by Evil Midnight Bomber; 2017-07-31 at 04:09 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    He should work on making them more affordable for workers rather than making them go faster.
    What does this mean exactly? How is the speed relevant to the cost?

- - - Updated - - -

Completely incorrect. I'd love to see the source.

Any actual source says ~5-10 hours for a full tank, depending on charging source. Faster at superchargers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Don't know.
    Don't care.
    I'm never buying one.
    Why bother posting then? It's like literally saying "I have nothing to add to this discussion. Please discuss."
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    What does this mean exactly? How is the speed relevant to the cost?
    The two tend to be pretty heavily linked with cars I think. The work put to making a faster car should have been put to making it cheaper to produce.

The two tend to be pretty heavily linked with cars I think. The work put to making a faster car should have been put to making it cheaper to produce.
    That's exactly what was done here. The Model S is the fast one...the Model 3 is the inexpensive one.

The more powerful $44,000 long-range version can travel 310 miles on a single charge.
    Amazing! Imagine a vehicle that could travel 300 miles, powered only by the energy produce by coal. Truly, a modern miracle.

Other than the much cheaper vehicles that travel much further, of course.

10+ Year Old Account
    "I think"

Except, that's not how it works. A 'slower car' wouldn't have been any cheaper. Really, it can't go any slower. I'm under the impression this is just from not understanding how cars work.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Amazing! Imagine a vehicle that could travel 300 miles, powered only by the energy produce by coal. Truly, a modern miracle.
    While true, the lack of context is hilarious.

The US is the worst Coal offender in the world, and most countries are phasing it out quickly. The US will follow suit shortly. So energy reliance on coal will shift dramatically, making the statement entirely pointless.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

While true, the lack of context is hilarious.

The US is the worst Coal offender in the world, and most countries are phasing it out quickly. The US will follow suit shortly. So energy reliance on coal will shift dramatically, making the statement entirely pointless.
    I don't know what you think you're addressing, but this is exactly why I think electric cars in the US are basically stupid at present. Our electric is heavily coal and our infrastructure doesn't support it. OK, 2040-land has all Teslas all the time. Right now, it's just a way to wealthy people to buy a car pool lane ticket.

Other than the much cheaper vehicles that travel much further, of course.
    Sure, electric isn't the best for long trips just yet...I'll give you that. I'll go a step further and say I personally wouldn't want to drive the ~600 miles from where I live to the city I grew up in...a trip I make a couple times a year. The Charging time would add just too much extra time for what is already an 8-10 hour drive.

But for the typical "work-and-back" driving? As long as you plug in your car overnight....that 310 mile distance might as well be infinite.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know what you think you're addressing, but this is exactly why I think electric cars in the US are basically stupid at present. Our electric is heavily coal and our infrastructure doesn't support it. OK, 2040-land has all Teslas all the time. Right now, it's just a way to wealthy people to buy a car pool lane ticket.
    I guess you didn't read what I wrote.

Yes, it's true that we're heavy in coal, but that won't last long. 2040 is not far off, as far as power plans go. I'd rather have electric cars mainstream (and demanding more power, and more renewables, pushing coal out faster) than waiting longer, or waiting until that time when electric is needed.

Basically you're saying "I don't like electric because the future literally doesn't exist for me, and probably doesn't for anyone else"

I guess you didn't read what I wrote.

Yes, it's true that we're heavy in coal, but that won't last long. 2040 is not far off, as far as power plans go. I'd rather have electric cars mainstream (and demanding more power, and more renewables, pushing coal out faster) than waiting longer, or waiting until that time when electric is needed.

Basically you're saying "I don't like electric because the future literally doesn't exist for me, and probably doesn't for anyone else"
    I don't see any plan to convert power or the grid for this. Do you?

As near as I can see, this is a vanity project at present. If you see a good plan forward, I'm all ears.'

Regarding whether I read what you wrote - you're wrong. Don't be a blatant antagonist when posting as a moderator.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see any plan to convert power or the grid for this. Do you?
    The fact that the rest of the world is doing it? The only reason we aren't is because of Trump, largely, and that will only last so long.

Do you think so many cities, companies, and other various entities followed up on the Paris Accords for fad/trend purposes?

When you talk about public infrastructure, you aren't addressing anything in a handful of years. You're looking at things that start now (or within a decade), and take decades to achieve. This is a fantastic step in that direction, both to spur that movement and also be ready for it.

- - - Updated - - -

Regarding whether I read what you wrote - you're wrong. Don't be a blatant antagonist when posting as a moderator.
    I said that (I guess, not 'you did', but whatever), because you literally agreed with what I said, as if it were some kind of counterpoint. Outside of the 'wealthy person' opinion that's what I said... So it seemed a lot like you didn't actually read it.