Thread: Ranged class

Ranged class

Just picked up guild wars 2 as I heard about the new expansion. I dont really like playing melee characters, so I'm wondering which classes have viable/meta builds that are typically played at range?

I know most classes have the option of a ranged weapon, but they're not always the best way to play at end game (fractals, sPVP). For example, I made a mesmer which on the surface would seem like a ranged class, but it seems like the most viable weapon choice is a sword which puts you as more of a melee class

are there any classes that are most typically considered ranged classes?

Deleted
    i think currently the 'best' meta builds for ele use staff. but who knows what will happen once the new specializations hit

Staff Ele uses staff afaik and just camps fire, albeit i haven't played in a few months, and last time i did play, i played necro, it used scepter/staff, but was played somewhat in melee range for the reaper abilities, only two classes i can think of that can be dominantly played at range, every other class has ranged options of course for when you need to use ranged, but they're by no means what i would consider meta.

Bear in mind that the new weapons for the Thief and Revenant are Rifle and Shortbow respectively, they 'could' potentially become meta using weapons, but who knows at this point.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you have vanilla versions of the game:

-If you're ele you will want to stay in fire staff, its not that powerful compared to the ele elite spec due to its capabilities of overloading its stances but it's capable of good damage.
    -If you're necro you will want to go scepter mostly for its really good condi damage (that paired with Epidemic can make for a whole lot of AoE damage based on conditions!)
    -If you're ranger then shortbow condi deals a fuckton of damage and its meta for its dmg output.

If you have HoT:
    -Dragonhunter scepter-torch go well in damage, not top tier dps but capable with some minor supportive abilities
    -Tempest you can go staff similar to the classic ele build but there's also scepter warhorn for tons of condi
    -Necro stays the same
    -Druid can be played as full healer or condi/healer for supportive damage
    -Rev has 2 builds, one is condi damage that uses short range attacks (mostly mace 2 and 3and axe 4 to approach enemies) or healer which uses hammer-staff.
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

10+ Year Old Account
    Ranged will almost never be considered better in instances due to range being inherently weaker and the way buffs work in the game. With that said, doesn't mean you can't play ranged, some classes fair better than others. Open world PVE? Play whatever works for you, seriously. Just don't be someone who doesn't CC when CC is needed.

Classes that can range while being close to "meta"

Condi Reapers
    Druids (any of their meta builds)
    Condi Rangers (camping shortbow)
    Staff Tempest in some cases
    Condi Berserker (condi warrior) can get away with it sometimes

Mesmers don't range in instance play, period. You're there to tank or support/buff the rest of the group. You can only effectively do that in melee range.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    what... dude condi is quite fucking meta atm after the nerfs to zerkers on raids, if anything the condi nerfs havent come yet, there will be but condi dmg is atm higher than zerk, for fotm you'll see more condi dmg based groups than direct dmg EXCEPT for fotm40 farm and dungeons
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    what... dude condi is quite fucking meta atm after the nerfs to zerkers on raids, if anything the condi nerfs havent come yet, there will be but condi dmg is atm higher than zerk, for fotm you'll see more condi dmg based groups than direct dmg EXCEPT for fotm40 farm and dungeons
    I think you posted in the wrong thread or misread something. I know in my post I mentioned ranged variants of condi builds, condi builds being meta. Fractals are tuned for power builds with condi builds being safer. Thats why running 5 condi reapers is still a thing even though its slower than running a proper power comp.

OP mentioned Mesmer, who almost never run a ranged weapon in proper group settings. Always Sword + shield/focus. Always Power -> stacking more toughness.
    Last edited by PACOX; 2017-08-07 at 06:22 AM.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    I think you posted in the wrong thread or misread something. I know in my post I mentioned ranged variants of condi builds, condi builds being meta. Fractals are tuned for power builds with condi builds being safer. Thats why running 5 condi reapers is still a thing even though its slower than running a proper power comp.

OP mentioned Mesmer, who almost never run a ranged weapon in proper group settings. Always Sword + shield/focus. Always Power -> stacking more toughness.
    from the dps tests ive done ideal is mesmer necros druid, direct dmg is low in the meta tier for fotm