Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    One thing to keep in mind is that patch 2.1 dropped in December of 2013 and 3.0 HW didn't come until June of 2015. You're doing a year and a half's worth of busy work in the time span of a week. With the pacing of the game at the time, this didn't seem to be a bad idea until people who first started playing when Heavensward came out hit that chunk of story. Now 2 expansions in, it's glaringly obvious that the area from 2.1-3.0 was made to keep you busy until new content came out in the form of expansion. The problem is, if you skip all the end game between 2.1 and 3.0 you lose a lot of story that's particularly relevant to the beginning of MSQ in HW.

I powered through it, but I hated most of it. Not only due to the fetch quest and busywork nature of it all, but also because of how unbelievably bad that part of the story is. It doesn't help that the Scions are a bunch of useless tits or that the villains' successes and plots hinge on the good guys' cutscene incompetence or occurrences with astronomically low chances of happening (poison vial anyone?). It's also extremely annoying how the Warrior of Light becomes everyone's dogsbody. Go there, collect this, kill that primal, hand out these discount pizza leaflets, sweep the floor, and you receive little no actual recognition or thanks. Just another primal or fetch quest.

I enjoyed some tiny parts of it, like talking about your adventures with the Domani kids, or having that friendly duel with Hairy Stone and Coultenet duo (I think those were their names). Those were the nice parts, where the game's writers actually made you feel like you're a hero others look up to, try to follow in your footsteps or learn from. Everyone else, Haurchefant excepted, just treats you like a solution to their problems and not a person.

Fortunately, the writing is miles better in Heavensward.

They do streamline the process as you go though the story, but some of the earlier bits to get really bloated and boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Dadpool View Post
    Now 2 expansions in, it's glaringly obvious that the area from 2.1-3.0 was made to keep you busy until new content came out in the form of expansion.
    Eh, looks to me that it was more intended to set-up the next couple expansions (at least) so they didn't have to go through the process of introducing characters and conflicts and could just jump right in.

There are a ton of filler missions in the story in general, but the transition between ARR and HW is especially bad. It does get better once you hit ARR though.

I find myself skipping most of the non-voiced cutscenes if they don’t grab me right away. They’re boring and it’s usually obvious what they’re talking about anyway. And this is coming from a dude that played every FF since 5 multiple times. The story in 14 is just really hit or miss I guess

I’m pleased this post exists. I’m currently in 2.4 patch quest and I’m about to die. I just want to start a DRK and check it out, and I didn’t realize there would be this much more before I could start one. Ugh. Oh well, at least we got tons of upgrades at this point.

Deleted
    I dislike the MSQ ARR. i'd like to have other chars with diferent races due to the classes and my aesthetic tastes.. but getting through that MSQ again ? no thanks.

Deleted
    They definaetly need something like Cataclysm to revamp this part. Its freaking ass long till u go from ARR to Heavensward.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raxzar View Post
    They definaetly need something like Cataclysm to revamp this part. Its freaking ass long till u go from ARR to Heavensward.
    Technically they already had one..Annnd bahamut did a MUCH better job then deathwing given tge world had to be reborn through magic..in WoW terms it would have called for emerald dream backup to be used i believe