Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    You forget the fact that it provides less heat, which is useful keeping your computer quieter and have less heat. And how many times are you going to change your psu? I never have had one break on me, they seem to last forever for me. I would take a higher rated psu rather than faster ram. People spend more on things that give them much less.
    More heat? You are nuts. My PSU is only Bronze and I have a temperature sensor RIGHT ON it. You know how hot the PSU itself gets, while stress testing? It doesn't. It's consistently way cooler than the rest of the system. If I switched in a Platinum PSU, I MIGHT see a difference in temp on the PSU itself of 1c but I seriously doubt the temperature sensors on the CPU Cooler, GPU Casing or exhaust would change one lick.

Also, my Bronze PSUs seem to last me "forever" as well. In fact, instead of using a generic term that could mean anywhere between 5 and 20 years, let me give you ACTUAL quantification. My old PCs, Phenom II 965 Black Editions, were built with these:
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16817139005
    In Jan of 2011. Those PSUs are still in operation(in different machines) today, over 6 years later. Still running just fine.

Was probably already said, but wait for Coffee Lake.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Ok, I will wait to hear about Coffee Lake.

Ram: Everyone seems to say drop it down. How about G Skill Intl F4-3600C17-8GTZR 8GB x 2? or Corsair CMD16GX4M2B3200C14 8GB x2(This one looks really nice) I am looking at this https://www.memorybenchmark.net/ram_list.php and https://pcpartpicker.com/products/co...XxcMnQ,RsgPxr/ for comparisons.
    SSD: Really like this drive and don't want to change, I am going to get a WD 4TB Black for more storage.
    Motherboard: I have plans to OC to hell out of this machine, thus the massive fans and AIO watercooler for the CPU. I felt this Mobo would be the best, vs the even higher end one.
    PSU: I don't see the benefit in dropping it down to save a few dollars, so I'm going to stick with the original.

Any other suggestions?
    Last edited by havix; 2017-08-16 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by havix View Post
    Ok, I will wait to hear about Coffee Lake.

Ram: Everyone seems to say drop it down. How about G Skill Intl F4-3600C17-8GTZR 8GB x 2? or Corsair CMD16GX4M2B3200C14 8GB x2(This one looks really nice) I am looking at this https://www.memorybenchmark.net/ram_list.php and https://pcpartpicker.com/products/co...XxcMnQ,RsgPxr/ for comparisons.
    SSD: Really like this drive and don't want to change, I am going to get a WD 4TB Black for more storage.
    Motherboard: I have plans to OC to hell out of this machine, thus the massive fans and AIO watercooler for the CPU. I felt this Mobo would be the best, vs the even higher end one.
    PSU: I don't see the benefit in dropping it down to save a few dollars, so I'm going to stick with the original.

Any other suggestions?
    There is no practical reason to go over DDR4-3200/CL14 for Intel right now. On AMD side it heavily depends on your specific mobo and you need to look specifically for Samsung b-die memory chips.

No reason to get WD Blacks for storage aswell, unless you have a very specific usecase, which I dont get. Best decision right now (imo) would be: 250GB M.2 SSD (SATA or NVMe) for OS+1TB 2.5 inch SSD for games/professional work+good reliable HDD for storage (5400-5900RPM+5 year warranty). I wouldnt even get the HDD right way, 1TB SSD might be enough.

For the mobo just wait for Coffee Lake. If you end up sticking with Kaby Lake Hero seems to be a better choice - you only lose a couple of fan headers and buildin WiFi for a massive price difference. Boards have the same BIOS and VRMs.

On the case: Air 740 is not that good with watercooling setups in general and as you're aiming for an AIO I'd look towards something like a 780T - full tower with mesh front and rad space up top. Also, if you're going for the best AIO go with Kraken X62.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Well, nvidia already basically stated that since Vega is not any real threat to them, they will not be releasing Volta anytime soon. No reason to wait for nvidia.

Waiting for coffee lake, reasonable.
    Which speaks volumes in my opinion.
    Vega isn't deemed a threat to Nvidia, but Ryzen and Threadripper are to Intel.

OP seems very set in their ways, and in my opinion wants reinforcement of their opinions rather than advice on "doing it right".
    Well congrats on having the money for that system, and I can't say i'm not jealous.
    Best of luck, and enjoy whatever it is you end up with.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2017-08-16 at 11:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you have that kind of money to spend why are you not waiting for Coffeelake? ...

and that 4133Mhz memory isn't doing you any good on skylake. but to each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Which speaks volumes in my opinion.
    Vega isn't deemed a threat to Nvidia, but Ryzen and Threadripper are to Intel.

OP seems very set in their ways, and in my opinion wants reinforcement of their opinions rather than advice on "doing it right".
    Well congrats on having the money for that system, and I can't say i'm not jealous.
    Best of luck, and enjoy whatever it is you end up with.
    Not sure how you got that opinion of me in a few sentences. Most people said to wait for Coffee Lake and if you read on the first page, I agreed that waiting sounds the best. I then asked for an opinion on Ram, everyone said this was to fast so I looked at the Gskill-3600 and Corsair 3200 and asked for your guys help. SSD I said I wanted to stay the same. The only real item that I said I didn't see the benefit in changing was the PSU.

So once again not sure how you jumped to such a judgemental post. I am looking for constructive help on this build as I may build a new computer every 7-8 years. So if you are going to post crap like that, then just don't.

I will be waiting to hear about the coffee lake announcement.
    Last edited by havix; 2017-08-17 at 06:40 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Heres some intel on Intels 8700k. If you need to build now, this is where I would start.

the 21st is when they will officially announce it, no one truly knows when the chips will actually be available. Going by past release I would say mid September. Icelake info is starting to hit the tech sites and supposedly coming after Coffee, so I dont know where that leaves Cannonlake, @Life-Binder would know more.

So after the announcement from Intel, I don't want to be waiting 3-4 months for a new computer. Any other changes people would suggest?

I wasn't aware Early October was 3-4 months.

Quote Originally Posted by havix View Post
    So after the announcement from Intel, I don't want to be waiting 3-4 months for a new computer. Any other changes people would suggest?
    wait 2 months instead and grab a coffee lake

Quote Originally Posted by the boar View Post
    wait 2 months instead and grab a coffee lake
    You can do that, but we also tought that coffee lake was going to launch on 21 august and that did not happen either so untill intel announces it, I remain skeptical.

He wants a dream computer and you're trying to belittle his dream computer at every chance you have. Are you jealous or something? Let him put his money to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    You can do that, but we also tought that coffee lake was going to launch on 21 august and that did not happen either so untill intel announces it, I remain skeptical.
    Release dates for the Z370 boards that they go in are outright confirmed by retailers as first and second week of October, so... be awfully weird to have boards available and no CPUs to put in them.