Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

S destroyer collides with merchant ship near Singapore

A US Navy guided-missile destroyer collided with a merchant ship east of Singapore early Monday, the second US warship to be involved in a collision in just over two months.

The Navy's 7th Fleet said in a statement that the USS John S. McCain collided with the merchant vessel Alnic MC while the destroyer was making its way to a port visit in Singapore, the Navy said. The collision was reported at 5:24 am local time, according to the Navy statement.
    A Navy official told CNN initial reports indicated only minor injuries among the McCain's crew of about 330 but that a full accounting of the crew was ongoing.
    Search and rescue efforts are under way, the Navy statement said, with helicopters and Marine Corps Osprey aircraft from the amphibious assault ship USS America responding.
    Singaporean ships and helicopters were also responding, the Navy said.
    Initial reports indicate the US ship sustained damage to its aft port (rear left) side, the Navy said. It said the McCain was steaming under its own power to port.
    It did not give information on the status of the merchant vessel.
    http://edition.cnn.com/2017/08/20/as...ore/index.html

15+ Year Old Account
    Nooooooo my figures from play asia ship from there AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHH HHH HH

Updated reports are that 10 sailors are missing and 5 more injured.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/20/asia/u....html?adkey=bn

I wonder if Trump will fire the Secretary of Defense and the Secretary of the Navy now given that this is two major fuck ups in the last couple months.

Lol again? There has to be somekinda saboteurs infiltrating the control areas.

Maybe the John McCain should get a checkup.

...too soon?

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Nooooooo my figures from play asia ship from there AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHH HHH HH
    Let me guess, Dragon's Crown Sorceress figure and a healthy supply of tissues and disinfectant?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fourth collision this year. Territorial pissing?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiberria View Post
    Updated reports are that 10 sailors are missing and 5 more injured.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/20/asia/u....html?adkey=bn

I wonder if Trump will fire the Secretary of Defense and the Secretary of the Navy now given that this is two major fuck ups in the last couple months.
    CO, XO, CMC will get reassigned and wont get promoted (which means their days are numbered).

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Maybe the John McCain should get a checkup.

...too soon?

Let me guess, Dragon's Crown Sorceress figure and a healthy supply of tissues and disinfectant?
    No, IA and Serena from pokemon. Ps, i don't have a wiener.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok, so, can someone tell the Navy modern ships aren't built for ramming like Triremes were?

/women in the Navy joke....

just kidding
    It's been a while actually since I've received a message from scrapbot...need to drink more i guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butter Emails View Post
    Trump is a complete shitbag that's draining the country's coffers to stuff his own.
    It must be a day ending in Y.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    You would think they would be more careful with these ships,hopefully the missing crew turn up alive and not responsible for this crash.

10+ Year Old Account
    Were collisions super rare before or is the news just deciding to cover them more? For having the best navy in the world seems like this... shouldn't happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    Were collisions super rare before or is the news just deciding to cover them more? For having the best navy in the world seems like this... shouldn't happen.
    Super rare, and I'll be interested to read the investigation report when it is published.

I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Any US military techies familiar with our navy ships want to chip in on any significance two similar incidents happening in a relatively short timeframe?

Also what are the odds that it's named after McCain who has/had brain cancer, which often lead to neurological deficits including loss of motor control...
    Last edited by Dr Assbandit; 2017-08-21 at 05:31 AM.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    Super rare, and I'll be interested to read the investigation report when it is published.
    im pretty sure they just were not reported to the entire world.

Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    Can't imagine it's too common. The ocean isn't a highway and military vessels are usually on alert and not patrolling the exact same roads as civilians.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Assbandit View Post
    Any US military techies familiar with our navy ships want to chip in on any significance two similar incidents happening in a relatively short timeframe?

Also what are the odds that it's named after McCain who has/had brain cancer, which often lead to neurological deficits including loss of motor control...
    I am not who you want, but this seems less likely than planes crashing together given their speed and all around better field of view if they still use a crows nest. Everybody must have been drunk. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯¯\_(ツ)_/¯¯\_(ツ)_/¯¯\_(ツ)_/¯¯\_(ツ)_/¯¯\_(ツ)_/¯¯\_(ツ)_/¯¯\_(ツ)_/¯¯\_(ツ)_/¯¯\_(ツ)_/¯¯\_(ツ)_/¯¯\_(ツ)_/¯¯\_(ツ)_/¯¯\_(ツ)_/¯¯\_(ツ)_/¯¯\_(ツ)_/¯

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Assbandit View Post

The JAGMAN investigation on the Fitzgerald collision faults the crew of the Fitzgerald... given the McCain collision just happened that JAGMAN wont be complete for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Gevoth View Post
    Fourth collision this year. Territorial pissing?
    The last big collision the "watch" system was blamed, there's always supposed be sailors watching the radar. For some reason they didn't spot the massive freighter bearing down on them. A bunch of the crew is getting kicked out of the navy for this incident including the captain.

I'm going to say this one is the same.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    im pretty sure they just were not reported to the entire world.
    Pretty sure naval incidents are reported as news, and picked up by the worldwide news media... Do you know of any that were covered up?