Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonkaden View Post
    It really is pretty simple. I used to have excuses on why i was gaining or not losing. I was 6'7" 395. I am now 6'7" 302 lbs. I didn't go on bodybuilding.com forums or ask people for help other than how much protein do I need to preserve muscle. There is no magic formula. Its extremely simple.

If you have a calorie deficit that is below your maintenance calories, you will lose weight. Its that simple. One lb = 3500 calories. If you have a deficit of 500 a day through diet and/or a combination of exercise and diet, then you WILL LOSE weight. You might stall out if you are putting on muscle, but that shouldn't be a trend that is permanent.

If you aren't losing weight its because of your diet. It has nothing to do with your workout. You are being dishonest with yourself. Look at what you are eating and honestly ask yourself if you could improve it. I bet the answer is yes.
    Listen to this guy. I said a similar thing above. This is all there is to it, and there's no easy way.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dirdie View Post
    I've been using Myfitnesspal app to track what I'm eating for the last 3 months, just using the default settings for my weight and height it has me at 2030 calories per day. I've been pretty good with not going over that goal on a daily basis, being summer time i tend to indulge in a few beers on the weekends, but i haven't even been over doing it with that like I've usually done in the past.
    Hey, you're already 90% of the way to a healthy lifestyle and losing consistent weight. Now you just gotta track your weight week over week and adjust your calories appropriately. Also, I'd highly recommend weighing / measuring your food. You can't eyeball stuff while tracking, it defeats the purpose.

Beers on the weekend are totally fine. Just make sure to account for that in your daily allotment of calories and you're set.

Deleted
    Start with a little background, I'm 5'8 use to be 165 lbs about 6 years ago. got into a car crash broke my back and have a fusion from t4-t9 and some extensive nerve damage in my legs. Needless to say after all that i put on some lbs highest was 210. I've always exercised off and on but every time i would get into it and start feeling great again i would get injured and have to take a break.

I currently have a bulging disc in my lower back, a bad hip and knee on my right side probably due to my limp when i walk due to the nerve damage.

I started exercising again this year, i've pushed through the pain and have been going strong since march. I went from 205-195 pretty fast within a month. Now i have been fluctuating between 190-195 ever since and can't seem to lose anymore.

I have been keeping track of my calories intake, protein, fiber, carbs and all that. everything seems to be on the right track diet wise i think.

My exercise routine is 3 days a week basically full body workout on a bowflex sport, can't really handle more then that with my injuries. But i'm hoping as i get stronger the more i can exercise without hurting. And I am 45 mins from the nearest gym so thats about all i have

I start with 10 min cardio on a elliptical

Curls
    Tricep pull downs
    Chest Flys
    Bench Press
    seated Shoulder Press
    Seated Lat Rows
    Leg Extensions
    Squats
    Standing Leg Kick back
    leg curls
    Shoulder pull downs

I have no seen any gains in at least 2 months, what am i doing wrong? what can i change? What can be improved?
    you can never ever humanly possibly out train a bad diet.

also if you're trying to gain muscle and cut weight at the same time it's not really possible, gaining muscle requires Surplus of calories, and cutting weight requires calorie deficit.

I've been using Myfitnesspal app to track what I'm eating for the last 3 months, just using the default settings for my weight and height it has me at 2030 calories per day. I've been pretty good with not going over that goal on a daily basis, being summer time i tend to indulge in a few beers on the weekends, but i haven't even been over doing it with that like I've usually done in the past.
    Have you adjusted your goals on fitnesspal to account for the amount of weight you have already lost?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zarithras View Post
    Listen to this guy. I said a similar thing above. This is all there is to it, and there's no easy way.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey, you're already 90% of the way to a healthy lifestyle and losing consistent weight. Now you just gotta track your weight week over week and adjust your calories appropriately. Also, I'd highly recommend weighing / measuring your food. You can't eyeball stuff while tracking, it defeats the purpose.

Beers on the weekend are totally fine. Just make sure to account for that in your daily allotment of calories and you're set.
    Bro. I am listening, but what he is typing obviously isn't what is actually happening.

You dont eat 7000 calories less than your maintenance a week and NOT lose weight. He is eating awful calories or he is lying. This isn't rocket science or advanced mathematics. Its simple science and simple math.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonkaden View Post
    It really is pretty simple. I used to have excuses on why i was gaining or not losing. I was 6'7" 395. I am now 6'7" 302 lbs. I didn't go on bodybuilding.com forums or ask people for help other than how much protein do I need to preserve muscle. There is no magic formula. Its extremely simple.

If you have a calorie deficit that is below your maintenance calories, you will lose weight. Its that simple. One lb = 3500 calories. If you have a deficit of 500 a day through diet and/or a combination of exercise and diet, then you WILL LOSE weight. You might stall out if you are putting on muscle, but that shouldn't be a trend that is permanent.

If you aren't losing weight its because of your diet. It has nothing to do with your workout. You are being dishonest with yourself. Look at what you are eating and honestly ask yourself if you could improve it. I bet the answer is yes.
    Wow. I like you a lot. You told it like it is

As others have said, you're cheating on your diet or not paying attention to it. It's that simple. You either want to lose the weight or you don't. Don't make up excuses.

Yup. It turns out your "metabolism" or your training can't defy the law of thermodynamics

Buy a food scale, measure your food, track every single thing in an app. All the way down to your condiments, coffee creamer, and that fun size candy bar you snatched from the break room.

Eventually you'll be able to eyeball and won't need to track so heavily.

You could try cutting your daily calories by 100-200 and seeing if that changes anything.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just installed a hiit timer app on my phone, set it to 1:15 slow and a 1:00 fast and I must say it was a good change to the normal pace I isually do. Made it the entire 20 mins, my knee and hip is a little sore but it will pass. Thanks for the advice on the hiit workout.

Please do take any advice here and give an orthopedist a visit.
    They can help you find the right people who can actually help you.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Darkener View Post
    If you've never worked with Orthodox Jews then you have no idea how dirty they are. Yes, they are very dirty and I don't mean just hygiene
    Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin View Post
    most of the rioters were racist black people with a personal hatred for white people, and it was those bigots who were in fact the primary force engaged in the anarchistic and lawless behavior in Charlottesville.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HumbleDuck View Post
    Please do take any advice here and give an orthopedist a visit.
    They can help you find the right people who can actually help you.
    I have seen one, I have osteoarthritis in my knee and hip joint. they recommend me to lose some weight to take some pressure off the joint. The more I exercise the less pain I'm feeling in the joints.

I thank everyone for their advice, I guess all I can do is keep counting calories eating healthy and exercising. Thank you all for your time.

--snip--
    As someone who lost a bunch of weight, the real way to do it is diet.

Weight loss is something like 80% diet, 20% exercise.

As a simple thought experiment, assume your base metabolic rate is 2000 Cal/day. So you'll burn that regardless of activity. If you want to maintain this weight, you have to eat an average of 2000 calories a day. If you want to lower it, obviously eat less. A good way to think of this (and what helped me) is you have a bank of say 2000 calories that you can eat a day. This will maintain weight. You can pretty easily clear 1lb a week. To do so, you need to you either need to increase your bank amount, or lower how much you're taking out each day by 500 calories. (Because 500 cal * 7 days in a week = 3500 calories, which is a pound of weight loss).

The easiest thing to do, is to simply just eat 1500 calories a day instead of 2000.

Alternatively, you can try to increase your bank amount by exercising off 500 calories a day, or a combination of the two. If you're just doing some walking, you need to walk 2 hours a day to free up 500 calories. You mentioned using the elliptical, you'd need about an hour of that a day at your weight to clear off 1 lb a week. Weight lifting, you'd need to do about 1 and a half hours a day to lose a pound a week.

That's a lot of effort, compared to just eating less. Working out is more about increasing strength and getting healthy, compared to weight loss. Diet control and general activity is all you need to shed pounds.

What I'd recommend: Talk to a Nutritionist, they will be able to set up how many calories you need a day (along with all the other nutrition you need), and they will be able to help with portion control. Next, get an accurate food scale, and get in the habit of weighing your food for a few weeks, until you know how much you should be eating. As an example, I eat 4oz of meat twice a day, so when I get home from the store, I cut and weight out all the portions then. Third, if you want to supplement yourself with exercise, pick something consistent that you can do for an hour or two, several times a week. Walking is low impact, as is swimming (I swam 6 days a week for an hour+ a day during my weight loss), cycling, etc. Running is rough on joints/spine, so avoid that (as is jogging). Weightlifting is good, as extra muscle will raise your daily 'bank', but it's not an alternative to cardio, it's more supplemental. If you have issues with time, cardio > weightlifting (generally).

Don't lie to yourself, or cheat your diet. It's fine to have a beer with the friends, but google the calorie content of that beer, and put it in a journal or on an app. Weigh things out, it's far more accurate. 45 grams is 45 grams. 1 cup, can vary based on size, how packed it is, etc. Also, break things down, if you want to lose 30 pounds, then that's 30 weeks, or around 8 months to a year. So set monthly and weekly goals, and track yourself. Don't fret too much about the day to day, just watch your intake. It's okay to take in 1700 calories one day because of that beer or two, just make sure the next two days are only 1400, or something to that effect.

Ultimately, a nutritionist is probably your best bet, they'll be able to guide you towards the path of success.

Best of luck!
    Last edited by God Save The King; 2017-08-22 at 09:39 PM.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

I have seen one, I have osteoarthritis in my knee and hip joint. they recommend me to lose some weight to take some pressure off the joint. The more I exercise the less pain I'm feeling in the joints.

I thank everyone for their advice, I guess all I can do is keep counting calories eating healthy and exercising. Thank you all for your time.
    If your biggest problems are joint pains and you are not overly overweight bmi +30 for example then losing weight is not optimal route for you. Its strength training. Your mucles support the joints so even if you lose the weight but dont have enough muscle support you will still feel pain. I wouldn't recommend alot of running since running is alot more stressful to the joints compared to other forms of aerobic exercise, this is if you feel pain in the joints. Good strength training program that focuses on lower body and midsection stability and alot of recovery exercises, stretching and light aerobices everyday (walking or other light movements).

Diet helps you lose weight but strength training will help you out with the joint pains.

Grunt
    5+ Year Old Account
    Try doing all of your workouts as supersets and always staying moving while working out. That way you are building muscle and doing cardio at the same time. You should aim for high reps when looking to cut too.

Keto diet is a diet that actually works and changes your body to use fat as fuel rather than sugar and you don't even need to exercise for it to work ( it does help drastically if you do exercise ). The #1 thing that is making people fat today is the fact that sugar is in EVERYTHING even things that should not have it and sugar promotes inflammatory diseases and cancer among many others.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    Keto diet is a diet that actually works and changes your body to use fat as fuel rather than sugar and you don't even need to exercise for it to work ( it does help drastically if you do exercise ). The #1 thing that is making people fat today is the fact that sugar is in EVERYTHING even things that should not have it and sugar promotes inflammatory diseases and cancer among many others.
    Or, you could just not eat processed foods, and have control over what goes into the food you prepare. Wisest word on this I ever heard was "REAL food doesn't have a list of ingredients"

Quote Originally Posted by Direpenguin View Post
    Or, you could just not eat processed foods, and have control over what goes into the food you prepare. Wisest word on this I ever heard was "REAL food doesn't have a list of ingredients"
    Even easier is to cut everything else out and eat meat primarily with greens and drink water. Keto also has a plethora of other health benefits too but people can look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alydael View Post
    Cutting weight is not so much about working out as it is about diet.

Eat five small meals/ day.

Do not eat for up to four hours before bed. (especially no carbs at this time) * important*

Have the most carbs in the first meal of the day (same with calories). Cut the carbs and calories each meal as you go.

Try to get in some morning cardio (even if it is just a 30 mins intense walk). Do this cardio before you eat anything.

As for your workout- try switching it up more. the body adjusts- so you constantly have to change it up. Try: different exercises, different reps/ weight (if you go light for 12 reps typically, try going a little heavier for 6 reps), more/less cardio, supersets, staggered sets, negative sets and even half rep sets.

10 mins of cardio is very light. Aim for 30-45 mins.

Also- just try to move around more during your day (walk more, steps more, etc).

Good luck, just stick with it and bust through that plateau.
    the no carbs after 6pm myth. My god.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    no im not trolling and no it wont fucking kill someone jesus christ. im sorry that you have no clue about fasting but people have fasted for literally thousands of years.

after 2 - 3 days your body enters ketosis, it cleans out your body and unless you're a complete idiot your body will tell you and you will know when you're getting low on body fat and need to eat. the desire to eat will remain past your hunger fading away but its more like when you're bored and just want to eat something but arent hungry, its a desire not a need.

if his main goal is gaining muscle mass he likely wont gain any on a fast but he will lose plenty of body fat, which might look like he gained muscle mass but really just revealed the muscle underlying the skin. the only thing your body cant get from itself is sodium potassium and magnesium. some people also do fasts with vitamins but i prefer not to as when i tried doing it with vitamins they gave me diarrhea (and you already have to deal with that a little during a fast due to your bladder still producing bile and also whatever has been sitting in your bowels slowly getting removed.

some people also do alternate day fasts and juice fasts but during those you will lose much less weight since your body will never enter ketosis. on a water fast you lose 1.5 to 2 pounds a day on average although after the first 10 days this slows down to about 1 to 1.5 a day since your body becomes more adjusted to feeding on the fat and your metabolism goes down.

afterwards you have to ease yourself back into eating since your metabolism will be low, start out with broths and small amounts of fruits. if you drink juice get a blender/juicer otherwise you're just drinking sugar water.
    yup sounds like a great plan to gain everything you lost and more afterwards because you went to an extreme measure and learned nothing about nutrition and how to change your lifestyle to maintain a healthy weight afterwards. Great advice. Kappa.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thrif View Post
    A lot of my diet nerdy friends have found great success in this ketogenic diet that also already have been mentioned. Basically you give up carbs and the body starts using the stored up fat as the new source of energy, burning it off quite fast. Fasting isn't recommended, just avoiding carbs to a great degree.

Definitely feels like the best way to lose weight, although it won't be effective for building muscles.
    There's nothing special about keto. It is a perfectly fine diet. It has been proven to be no more effective than a standard diet with equated calories. It is all about adherence. Typically people think it's some magic diet, really they are just consuming lower calories.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pickynerd View Post
    Only quick way to cut weight is to stop eating the foods that make you fat.
    no specific food makes you more fat than another. It comes down to its calorie content.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    The #1 thing that is making people fat today is the fact that sugar is in EVERYTHING even things that should not have it and sugar promotes inflammatory diseases and cancer among many others.
    Please stop spouting psuedoscience nonsense like this you saw on a NetFlix documentary.

Sugar intake has declined to below 1980 levels and the obesity rate is still climbing at the same pace.
    Last edited by Zelion; 2018-07-14 at 07:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelion View Post
    the no carbs after 6pm myth. My god.
    Maybe you shouldn't talk shit, because sadly for you its not a myth. I have lived it.

I was 17 years old and was this massive 6.5 fat ass that weighted 365LB.I was fed up of feeling like shit and was bullied so I dropped out of that shithole and now I can tell you how I got to 175lb over 2 years.

I had no help and weight lose seems to be this magic thing that nobody understood at the time. So I made my own plan how to do it.

- Cut all fast food and soda - Yeah this sucks and it was hard, still did it. Ate 3 500cal meals a day =
    1 @ 8AM
    1 @ 1PM
    1 @ 5PM,
    Nothing past 6 ever.

Starting drinking only water, super hard for me because before I couldn't stand it. I had to just get over it for my own sake.

-Working out- Never happened because my gym was full of faggots that wanted to mock fatter people working out and make videos of them so they could share it with other dicks. fuck that shit. Instead I started walking 3 miles. 2 times a day, Once early in the morning and last time at night before getting a shower and bed. I had some good woodland paths where I could take my self and enjoy the walks. I started running these as i lost the weight.

Wanna here the last step?

-Keep doing it- Peoples willpower is shit, I did break a few times. ate out with friends etc. I Kept remembering the 11LB I lost my 1st month doing this.
    I don't know what people will say to this post, I know next to nothing on fitness yet I still lost over 190 pounds myself on my OWN diet. that's got to count for something?
    Remember, A Man may break a Woman's Heart - But a Woman will destroy a Man's life. - SJK @ the #Antiwokenessworld

Quote Originally Posted by Reclaimer View Post
    words
    You lost weight because you consumed 1500 calories per day, not because you didn't eat after 6pm, or any of the other bologna.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reclaimer View Post
    Maybe you shouldn't talk shit, because sadly for you its not a myth. I have lived it.

I was 17 years old and was this massive 6.5 fat ass that weighted 365LB.I was fed up of feeling like shit and was bullied so I dropped out of that shithole and now I can tell you how I got to 175lb over 2 years.

I had no help and weight lose seems to be this magic thing that nobody understood at the time. So I made my own plan how to do it.

- Cut all fast food and soda - Yeah this sucks and it was hard, still did it. Ate 3 500cal meals a day =
    1 @ 8AM
    1 @ 1PM
    1 @ 5PM,
    Nothing past 6 ever.

Starting drinking only water, super hard for me because before I couldn't stand it. I had to just get over it for my own sake.

-Working out- Never happened because my gym was full of faggots that wanted to mock fatter people working out and make videos of them so they could share it with other dicks. fuck that shit. Instead I started walking 3 miles. 2 times a day, Once early in the morning and last time at night before getting a shower and bed. I had some good woodland paths where I could take my self and enjoy the walks. I started running these as i lost the weight.

Wanna here the last step?

-Keep doing it- Peoples willpower is shit, I did break a few times. ate out with friends etc. I Kept remembering the 11LB I lost my 1st month doing this.
    I don't know what people will say to this post, I know next to nothing on fitness yet I still lost over 190 pounds myself on my OWN diet. that's got to count for something?
    Working off a normal calorie calculator, at age 17, 365lbs and 6'5" tall, you need 2800 calories a day just to maintain, and that's with no exercise.

You lost weight because you were consuming 1300 calories less than your body needed to maintain whilst also committing to light exercise.

Even if you know absolutely nothing about fitness, the basic mechanics of energy in and energy out should be apparent.

The time of day that you consume food at has a slight, very slight, knock on effect with regards to weight gain/loss.

The amount of misinformation regarding weightloss is staggering, so please stop spreading it.
    Last edited by mmoc8116b97f51; 2018-07-14 at 08:11 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by durrtygoodz View Post
    Fucking hell that's some top kek bro science jesus christ.
    u mad coz hes swole