Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Vineri View Post
    This game is a hidden gem. Gameplay spot on, multiple ways to play / advance.

JRPG's are always a good time, but this one takes the cake.
    So glad I played it. Completed it and thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

I don't care about not having 60 fps, what I care more about is fps drops...is it stable on the switch?

I just got this on pc and man..the graphics are pretty awful lmao. No opinion on it other than that so far.

Can't deny that the music is great!

I hear there is a new Ys game coming this year at some point. Looking forward to it, VIII was my first and I really liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by tehealadin View Post
    I hear there is a new Ys game coming this year at some point. Looking forward to it, VIII was my first and I really liked it.
    Nothing has been announced yet. It might be announced later this year or next year.

NISA is probably stretched thin at the moment, as there is a good chance that they are working on Trails of Cold Steel IV (and, if you believe the speculation, the Crossbell games).

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Nothing has been announced yet. It might be announced later this year or next year.

NISA is probably stretched thin at the moment, as there is a good chance that they are working on Trails of Cold Steel IV (and, if you believe the speculation, the Crossbell games).
    Ys doesn't have Trails-size script and I read somewhere that Falcom were unhappy with western release lag (which is probably why XSEED were booted), so IX probably won't take much longer to have a western release.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

I think it was the IX release for Western markets I saw, trying to find the link, though I think it was speculation to be fair, not a concrete announcement.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    Ys doesn't have Trails-size script and I read somewhere that Falcom were unhappy with western release lag (which is probably why XSEED were booted), so IX probably won't take much longer to have a western release.
    We don't have any official word on why Falcom chose to stop working with XSEED (and, given the nature of the industry, likely never will).

As we understand it, Falcom offered Tokyo Xanadu to XSEED. At the time, TX was a PS Vita game, and since Falcom doesn't announce ports or games until shareholder meetings, XSEED thought that it'd be a waste of time for them to localize it. At that point, Falcom turned away from XSEED, and gave the rights to Aksys. (This lead to a hilarious situation where, not one week after Aksys announced their localization of TX, Falcom then announced that TX was getting an enhanced PS4 port, which made Aksys scramble to get the rights to that. They had no idea).

During the lead up to Trails of Cold Steel 3's English release, Falcom President Toshihiro Kondo went around being interviewed by a couple dozen publications. When asked as to why recent Trails games didn't have Japanese voices, he blamed XSEED. "They only needed to ask", when we know full well that XSEED did...

For obvious reasons, the XSEED staff are rather annoyed, particularly Tom.

Doesn't really matter now. XSEED latest localization, Senran Kagura, bombed (due to factors out of their control: Sony has begun going on a censorship spree, and censoring the game was the only way Senran Kagura was going to get published. The risque nature of the game is part of its core appeal). XSEED also lost a lot of its staff who had worked on the Trails games (who were incidentally contracted by NISA to work on CS3).

I am cautiously optimistic for future Falcom releases by NISA. After the Ys VIII debacle, NISA didn't want that incident to happen again and invested a lot of effort into regaining customer goodwill. They retranslated Ys VIII. As said before, they contracted people who had worked on prior Trails releases (Ryan Thomson, Kris Knigge, and Brittany Avery), and contracted Durante's new porting company PH3, to handle CS3. PH3 also fixed the Ys VIII PC port and added a lot of new features. It seems they are really trying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    Which is hilarious given NISa delays.

You should pick up Ys Origin, Ancient Ys Books I & II, The Oath in Falghana, Memories of Celceta, the Ark of Napishtim, and Ys VII first In that order.

Yea, so I'm gunna go ahead say that...the earlier ys games were just so much better. I played ys 7 and didn't like it....and not really liking 8 either. I'm on chapter 4 though, so hopefully the story (or combat) picks up? There's so much downtime between boss fights and this whole story/exploration thing has been quite boring. Neither has gotten my interest.

Quote Originally Posted by dk3790 View Post
    Yea, so I'm gunna go ahead say that...the earlier ys games were just so much better. I played ys 7 and didn't like it....and not really liking 8 either. I'm on chapter 4 though, so hopefully the story (or combat) picks up? There's so much downtime between boss fights and this whole story/exploration thing has been quite boring. Neither has gotten my interest.
    Ys has been changing to keep up with the style of modern Falcom, which places a heavy emphasis on Trails-esque storytelling. Combat is secondary to the story, main bulk of the gameplay is going around talking to NPCs, reading books, cutscenes, etc. IIRC, the last time they put out a game that wasn't Trails-esque was Ys vs Sora no Kiseki in 2010. Ys is still their most action heavy series, but at this point being a fan of modern Falcom means you also kinda have to be a fan of the Trails formula.

Quote Originally Posted by Eosia View Post
    You should pick up Ys Origin, Ancient Ys Books I & II, The Oath in Falghana, Memories of Celceta, the Ark of Napishtim, and Ys VII first In that order.
    I've got Origins, loved it. Are the others available on current gen consoles?

I've got Origins, loved it. Are the others available on current gen consoles?
    They're all available on PC. Not sure about other platforms.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Ys has been changing to keep up with the style of modern Falcom, which places a heavy emphasis on Trails-esque storytelling. Combat is secondary to the story, main bulk of the gameplay is going around talking to NPCs, reading books, cutscenes, etc. IIRC, the last time they put out a game that wasn't Trails-esque was Ys vs Sora no Kiseki in 2010. Ys is still their most action heavy series, but at this point being a fan of modern Falcom means you also kinda have to be a fan of the Trails formula.
    except it's nothing like trails in terms of storytelling and that's my point. They're trying to be like it but they're not and the end product is garbage. You think tokyo xanadu had a good story? That's another example of an attempt at a ys/trails hybrid. Don't get me wrong, the combat in ys 8 is amazing....but there's just so much downtime with the boring story and pointless "exploration". They should just stick to what made the ys series great.

Quote Originally Posted by dk3790 View Post
    You think tokyo xanadu had a good story?
    Yes. I'd place TX right below CS1 and CS2 as my favorite Falcom game. Tokyo Xanadu I think it only trips up in the pacing towards the end, and the actual ending on the vanilla game.