Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Japanese voice please if possible. D:

i loved the original secret of mana, it seems even just watching the gameplay up to the first boss, they made it ridiculously easy. full on candy before he made it to town, and the boss didnt even touch him.

but i can live with all that.... if they have an option to turn off the voice actors. they were freakin horrible. it made it feel like this game was done on a 5 dollar budget, and they offered a couple random people in the street a dollar to say some lines.

It's out. Steam reviews are mixed.
    I just need a good reason to play this over the original, which I haven't played in a long time, so I'd be up for either the original or the remake.
    I care mostly about the gameplay, even if the graphics are OKish and the voice acting is lame, I'd play the remake if the gameplay is better than the original. For music I'd probably choose the original soundtrack (which is extremely good so I highly doubt the remix is any better). It's really a plus they included the original soundtrack.
    So, anyone playing? I'd be interested in some opinions.
    Last edited by deepr; 2018-02-16 at 05:16 PM.

Tdlr cash grab nostalgia. No improvements over the original besides graphics and those aren't that great for today's standards and voice acting and character models are terrible.

Get it if you want a nostalgia trip but the game is mediocre for today's standards
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Tdlr cash grab nostalgia. No improvements over the original besides graphics and those aren't that great for today's standards and voice acting and character models are terrible.

Get it if you want a nostalgia trip but the game is mediocre for today's standards
    I picked it up for the nostalgia, personally. I loved the game. Haven't touched it yet as it just came out yesterday, so no comment yet, but I'll be disappointed if there's a bunch of shitty voice acting. I'd rather have total text box experience than suffering through shitty VA, that's one of the easiest ways to ruin a game IMO is to fill it with cringe worthy VA.

I am interesting and never played the original.

It looks like fun but I have been reading many reports of it crashing and no lip sync at all when they speak. I guess ill pick up a cheap used copy sometime later down the road.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Can a 2nd player join in by picking up a controller and pushing start like the original SNES version?

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Can a 2nd player join in by picking up a controller and pushing start like the original SNES version?
    Seems it does have local Co-Op.

I think it can have 2 other people join you.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Seems it does have local Co-Op.

I think it can have 2 other people join you.
    Sweet. I loved playing this when I was younger. Secret of Evermore was good too.

Deleted
    I watched Yagamoth's Stream. The Voiceacting itself seems ok for the most part, but sometimes it's a bit wierd. The boy does get better I feel, but you can choose if you want JP or Eng or none at all I believe. There is no lipsync during cutscenes which seems wierd at first but it's better than having it not fit some languages at all. The Soundtrack feels like the FF10 remaster. Some tracks are better, others worse, some the same.
    In general the game is very close to the original. There are some minor changes, but I don't think they are a make-or-break deal.
    Overall I'd say if you can't play the original or have 40 bucks over buy it, but it's no loss if you don't.

Gotta say I was completely underwhelmed with the remake. I returned my copy the next day, for me it was a complete nostalgia trip. Thankfully though emulators exist and the SNES mini has the original on it also. I'll stick with those two options.
    Main toon: Priest
    Alts: Rogue, Druid and Paladin plus many, many more.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Japanese voice please if possible. D:
    The boxitself says that you have the option for Japanese voice-overs and I'm checking some gameplay on youtube and you have Japanese versions their as well. First one is Jap and 2e one is English.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYqItHw4YiA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujF9CZJyshQ

Have to say though not having moving mouths is a bit weird and the animation generally seems underwhelming because of the single expressions.

I will get this game when it's cheaper instead of playing it on the Snes mini, and I'm hoping for a Switch release instead because the game looks a bit underwhelming for a PS4.

Great game, loved the story.

If i remember correctly, leveling spells were the bitch tho, getting less and less xp at higher levels.

7+ Year Old Account
    Too be honest I would have rather seen a Secret of Mana 2 remake (or Seiken Densetsu 3 if you are a purist) since that game has way more story and characters than the this one ever will and most the characters in Secret of Mana are flat as a board or does the remake flesh them out more?

10+ Year Old Account
    haven't they 3D remade the first two games now?

Maybe they'll 3D remake 3? that'd be badass
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    I picked it up for the nostalgia, personally. I loved the game. Haven't touched it yet as it just came out yesterday, so no comment yet, but I'll be disappointed if there's a bunch of shitty voice acting. I'd rather have total text box experience than suffering through shitty VA, that's one of the easiest ways to ruin a game IMO is to fill it with cringe worthy VA.
    Game sounds fine, my cousin got the PS4 version and I was messing around with it and really enjoyed it (even owning the original in late 1993, I don't let nostalgia blind me).

I'll see if Square does a retail Switch version, otherwise, I'll wait for a Steam sale down the road.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post
    haven't they 3D remade the first two games now?

Maybe they'll 3D remake 3? that'd be badass
    At this point, I'd just be happy with a US release of the 1-3 collection to play that one.

PSA: Do not play the Vita version

I was able to grab a copy without overpaying woot, Physical release seems to be limited as fuck. Never played the original so ill give this a go it does look fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't played through Secret of Mana in a decade so I thought it could be worth a go just for the nostalgia trip. The remixed music is pretty meh and the voice acting is awful... but you can mute the voices and switch to the old music, and if you do that the game is fine. It's just Secret of Mana with different graphics and I wouldn't recommend it for someone who hasn't played before (just play the original tbh)... but I'm having a fun enough time with it myself just to see all the old stuff I remember fondly rendered in the updated style.

Will get my money's worth, but nothing special basically.

It does feel a little bit missed opportunity, if they'd spent a bit more time on it and maybe improved the UI, had your character's gear showing on the models and fixed some of the weird bugs and awkward stuff from the original it could have been a really nice remake.
    Looking for laid-back casual raiding on EU?
    Our community is looking for more players: Take a look and hit me up for info!