Poll: Destroy both types of books. Which returns identical?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Destroy all Science & Spiritual books. Bring back. Which stays identical?

So if you were to destroy all science and spiritual books then 1000 years later, people wrote them again, which one would stay identical?

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Neither, In 1000 years both understanding of Science and Religion would change.

You can kind of see this by looking at how the Aztecs handled science and religion, and how the Greeks handled it. Religion was vastly different, but the science, not so much.
    RETH

The chance for any book to be identical would be exactly 0.

Nothing is going to be exactly the same. When it comes to science, the advances and understandings would likely progress down a different path. When it comes to religious texts, it would be based on who won the wars, and what ideology they wanted to push.

Religion. Some practices like sacrifices are; for some reason, part of human culture.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, thanks to the internet (or computers in general), burning books right now wouldn't change our path towards either much at all.

Hinduism hasn't changed all that much in over 6k years. What little did seemed to have evolved it.
    Same for Judaism.

Neither.

Understanding of science is limited to available technology

Spirituality/religion, while exploring many universal themes is almost always mixed with numerous traditions

Both are unique to their point in time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    You can kind of see this by looking at how the Aztecs handled science and religion, and how the Greeks handled it. Religion was vastly different, but the science, not so much.
    This isnt true at all. Science pre elightenment is pure rationalism. Empricism and the scientific method didnt exist in aristotles day.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    How does a single aspect of religion being common equate to equality?
    It's an example you dip. Also, obvs it's not going to be exactly equal but IMO religion would be the one that would resemble modern religion more so than science.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mittens View Post
    It's an example you dip. Also, obvs it's not going to be exactly equal but IMO religion would be the one that would resemble modern religion more so than science.
    you believe religion ( as in imaginary friends in the sky) would still be there in 1.000 years as close to now?

sad idea, at least to me

science principles would remain the same, if you eradicated all trace of Christianity, Islam, and Judaism (along with the pagans they are rooted from) you would have completely different religions, the understanding levels of science may be a different point in learning but the fundamentals remain the same: 1+1 will always equal 2, jesus, thor, or cthulu all depend on culture of who is your savior.

neither would remain the same

Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    In science you get 2 kinds of errors, bullshit and newtons. Bullshit will eventually get disproved and newtons will eventually be refined to be more complete and accurate. I am guessing we would end up somewhere where we are now if you believe we are discovering the truth of the universe. Our standard model might have a different diagram etc.

I cannot believe anyone would reinvent the bible anything close to what it is right now. Spirituality however, I don't think that will ever go away.

On the other hand this is a pretty interesting question. Most everyone is taught science as it is known today. Whether or not you are invited to question are we railroading thought? Nicola Tesla had an interesting theory about electromagnetism and holding galaxies together or something. It is like a "90%" theory. What he said fits but does not explain everything. It is hard to imagine coming up with such out of the box stuff when everyone is taught all the same stuff but hey, there are a lot of people on the planet and a lot of them are flat out contrarians.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Both would be different but fall within certain range from where the are now.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Science would stay the same, because experiments thus far would always yield the same results. Religion is made up, so the books would never match or be the same.

Well done, you watched a Neil Degrasse Tyson speech.
    Last edited by willtron; 2017-08-30 at 08:20 PM.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    So you're insulting me because you said something nonsensical? They asked what would be identical and you said religion and used a single example of something that's common among many religions. That argument doesn't even come close to making sense.
    Why doesn't it make sense or is it because it's not going to be exactly the same?

2 + 2 will always == 6
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

10+ Year Old Account
    I would say neither, but If I had to pick I would say as a Christian I pick spiritual, because as someone of faith I don't need a book, and if more people knew and understood science, I think it has a way of bringing people closer to many of the beliefs that are part of men over all.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis