couple noob Shadow questions

Hi, just came back after a huge break, picked Shadow again and I'm kinda lost a bit.
    1. Do you even use Voidform while questing, killing non elite mobs? I personally find it weird to use, because one mob dies quick, but by the time I approach the next mob Voidform has ended, so it kinda feels wasted. Cool to use when I pull many targets tho.

2. Once you enter Voidform, do you use Mindflay at all? Mind you I'm 108 level, so my secondary stats are a mess. Does it get less clunky with appropriate Haste levels? It just feels really weird to Mindflay one tick, just to see Voidbolt coming off CD, cancelling Mindflay and Voidbolting... idk weird, maybe I just have to get used to it, or get enough Haste to lower CD for Mind Blast and Voidbolt to where I no longer need to use Mindflay?

At 110 once you get to a decent ilvl and artifact level killing non elite mobs is mostly just casting vampiric touch with misery on everything that moves and then wait for them to rot away. Casting voidform is not very necessary but wont hurt either. You build up insanity very quickly with 2 SW: Ds.

Voidform is definitely awkward and inconsistent though for open world stuff. While spriests are not by any means crippled, it feels like you are always running at 70% power opposed to say afflocks and balance druids that actually get stronger in the open world.

Mind Flay is a filler, worth only if you have literally nothing else to press. Cancelling it after one tick isn't much, but it's technically more than doing nothing. That said, in just open world content you don't exactly need to be minmaxing, so it's unlikely to make a small mob die much faster.

i wonder what's the DPS loss if i skip Mindflay in Voidform... maybe it's very marginal anyways.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just pull 3-4 things to make good use of Voidform. Light everything up, void, and beat up one guy while everything else burns down. Move to whatever is left.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by Tokas View Post
    i wonder what's the DPS loss if i skip Mindflay in Voidform... maybe it's very marginal anyways.
    It would be a massive loss, you'd lose out on crucial insanity gain and drop out of voidform far earlier than otherwise. As for world quests, once you're decently geared(which should be really easy with 7.3) You will usually just pull a decent amount of mobs by dotting them and then enter voidform to finish them off.

As a returning Spriest, I have something I am still not quite sure of. How many targets do you need to drop Mind Blast over Mind Flay (sear)? I think it is 4+, but need to confirm that.