Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not some twisted person who gets off on seeing big numbers, so no I don't care...just stupid numbers that take up space that we don't need.

Quote Originally Posted by NoobistTV-Metro View Post
    If you seriously think that is why the numbers are as they are you are not very smart. They didn't CHOOSE to make the numbers this high. It happened, because they continually increased the amount of stats we have gotten. You know, because we are going to be wearing 1000 ilvl gear instead of 100 when it all started?
    Pretty obvious thing.

The post you quoted is honestly correct. People, even in this thread, only dislike the numbers because they are harder to work with, but all that should matter is how these numbers compare to the environment. Its not like doing 1m dps means you are killing the boss faster then when you were doing 1k.

I think you are right with the "divide by 100" option. Its a purely cosmetic thing, so let that be the solution to it. Maybe there is an addon that does it for you? I wouldn't be surprised.
    I was being facetious with the first comment. OP was making assumptions about why people like smaller numbers instead of large and boiled it down to being simple minded. I made assumptions about people who don't like number squishes and boiled it down to being about their epeen.

It all comes down to aesthetics. Though it may be easier for some to interpret a crit at 1,000 instead of 1,000,000, it doesn't offer any game play advantage. I personally like seeing smaller numbers because such large numbers seem unnecessary to me. I also find number squishes to be impractical and in general a waste of dev time. The best "fix" would be just to allow the player to decide how they want the information presented to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    Well considering you will never have 6 0's fly across your screen at the same time there shouldn't be an issue. Unless you somehow magically get 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 million exactly.
    Statistical improbabilities are not statistical impossibilities! But I meant digits.
    Last edited by volescue; 2017-09-03 at 08:05 PM.

It sucks big time. I have got a lot of gear, and sure, you see it on dps meters. But you don't really feel the increase of gear when you hit for millions and you increase your gear and you do 39k more dmg. you doesnt even see it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Why do you need to see every spell's damage? What POSSIBLE utility is that? If you want to see your DPS, use Skada and keep it open during combat. In fact, floating combat text doesn't tell you shit about how you're doing. It's a distraction and nothing more.
    Because it's more fun being able to see them? This is a game after all.

God you're dense.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    Yep, it's ridiculous and it could have been avoided so easily if gear didn't give you such tremendously unnecessary power jumps. Seriously, we went from doing 100k dps in blues to 300k dps in EN, which is a ridiculous discrepancy to boot, to a whopping 1.2 million dps 2 raids later. How does that compute as "fine" to those dimwits developing this pile of garbage?
    I did ~100 dps in blues in vanilla, than i did ~300 in mc t1, ~500 in t2, ~800 in t2.5 and ~1000-1200 in t3 as a rogue. How was that better than the current inflation?

Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    the power level of a fresh 110 and a tomb geared 110 is % wise larger than the % gains we saw from the beginning of T1 to the end of T10...
    Lol, more lies pls. How can someone beleive such bullsh*ts?

I use an addon that makes 4248184 damage appear as 4M, so it's very satisfying to me.

Not like it matters that much in the end. But I'm fine with it.

Don't care, reason why we got high numbers is purely technical and that is a reason I can fully accept.
    Crimea is Ukraine!

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wvvtayy View Post
    I love how my dots tick for hundreds of thousands of damage, I love how we have millions of hp and do millions of dps. It just feels awesome, and I'm going to be really sad when there's another stat squish next expansion and we have another entire expansion of feeling nerfed again like wod before we get back to these huge numbers. Sucks how we need to have to be nerfed every 2 expansions just because some people's brains are too small to comprehend big numbers...
    people's brains had nothing to do with the squish; it was the limitation of the game - remember Garrosh in SoO? how he had to heal at the end of each phase because the numbers were simply too big for the game engine. nowadays, I think the limitation has been removed as we have bosses with lots more health than Garrosh did before the squish

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    people's brains had nothing to do with the squish; it was the limitation of the game - remember Garrosh in SoO? how he had to heal at the end of each phase because the numbers were simply too big for the game engine. nowadays, I think the limitation has been removed as we have bosses with lots more health than Garrosh did before the squish
    Not removed, just made larger, we'll reach it again before long.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Well there's an easy middleground there, do the squish on a UI level, tick box to divide all the damage, healing, and health the player sees on their end by X, custom squish that doesn't effect the experience of anyone else. No having to go back and change items, no altering stats on gear, would take next to no development time to do.

Screen clutter isn't a non-existent problem, by the way. 1,000,000 takes up a lot more screenspace than 1,000, some of us would like to be able to reduce the overabundance of clutter without losing the ability to see our damage numbers.
    If only that was already possible by using addons that change your combat text to 10k instead of 10000, for example. If only.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Not removed, just made larger, we'll reach it again before long.
    No, we won't. They specifically made it so much larger that it won't become a problem again for a very long time.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradu View Post
    If only that was already possible by using addons that change your combat text to 10k instead of 10000, for example. If only.
    It's not, not in a complete enough fashion
    There isn't, blizzard very specifically won't let us muck about with the world-level floating combat text in any way other than changing the font.

One addon has been made in the past to try to do this, it has not been updated in a few years, and requires the SCT addon (UI level static position, not shown above the targets taking the damage, floating combat text, which looks absolutely awful compared to the world-level text) to work, if it even works anymore, which I doubt it does.
    I've covered that already.

The addon in question is called NerfEverything, and it hasn't seen an update since 2012, and altering the in world combat text is just as impossible now as it was then... get Blizzard to change that and we'll talk.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2017-09-03 at 08:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    As a Diablo player, I'm thinking, what inflated numbers are you talking about?

In Diablo, you can hit for fucking trillions, and high RGs can have a quadrillion HP.

So, what, do you hate Diablo because of big numbers? Cuz thats just plain retarded.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradu View Post
    No, we won't. They specifically made it so much larger that it won't become a problem again for a very long time.
    True, in the next expansion when we'll be doing billions of damage the current infrastructure is able to handle it.

Deleted
    Yeah, I like them too. 100 is boring. 1 000 000 000 is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    I like the big numbers, but more than anything I just wish they wouldn't waste development time "fixing" non-existent problems, it was was required in wod, it's not required now.
    I agree. The #BigNumbersAreBad issue is a "nothing burger" and shoudlnt be bothered with since there are more important things to worry about other than peoples feelings on not being able to do the same damage as better geared/better raiders. What they dont realize is after the squish they will still be doing less than those better geared/netter raiders.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raugnaut View Post
    As a Diablo player, I'm thinking, what inflated numbers are you talking about?

In Diablo, you can hit for fucking trillions, and high RGs can have a quadrillion HP.

So, what, do you hate Diablo because of big numbers? Cuz thats just plain retarded.
    I dislike the clutter it causes, I hate Diablo 3 for a whole host of other reasons.

10+ Year Old Account
    people must have played when we dealt 6k damage at best to have a relevant opinion, it's necessary that they had experienced it before saying one or the other is better

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xuros View Post
    peoples feelings on not being able to do the same damage as better geared/better raiders. What they dont realize is after the squish they will still be doing less than those better geared/netter raiders.
    If you think that's what people expect a stat squish to do you are more delusional than you think they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Wvvtayy View Post
    some people's brains are too small to comprehend big numbers...
    Oh the irony.