Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

I want to stop buying Flasks and Pots

Greetings,

I've never been one for professions, alts or making gold. That perfect storm of having only one character, never having a way of making gold outside of order hall missions/WQ's and neglecting everything profession based means I always have to buy flasks and potions. In Legion this is ridiculously expensive (to me) when I need hundreds of flasks of the countless armies and old war pots.

What would you recommend I do to get into a position where I can make my own flasks and pots for raiding and mythic+?

I presume the obvious step would be to level Alchemy. Should that alchemy be on my main or on an alt? Should I pick my own herbs?

I've only just yesterday remembered you can buy mats for things with Bloods of Sargeras

As you can see I'm pretty clueless and would appreciate some information on how I can be self sufficient and no longer need to visit the AH for flasks and pots. Thanks.
    Last edited by mmoc30274401ab; 2017-12-23 at 10:40 AM.

Deleted
    You have my permission.

Seriously tho, you need to make gold to spend gold. It doesnt take much to make enough for pots. Either craft or grind materials those are your only options. Its not that much to ask really, i understand you dont want to do it but unless you find a friend that will supply you ro free and thus make him bare the load of 2 people you have to make your own gold and theres no way around it.

Also, its better to trade crafted items and buy materials for them than to gather materials by hand. its always faster to use the market. The most efficent strategy would be to get the most efficient gold making profession and then buy pots from an alchemist for teh good you make with it.
    Last edited by mmoc539e82d918; 2017-12-23 at 10:26 AM.

Option 1: make gold, buy stuff. Aside from the AH, it's relatively easy to get for order hall missions, WQs, satchels. Order hall missions can be done with relatively low effort on alts once you've prepared them.

Option 2: make stuff yourself. I'd recommend levling herbalism and alchemy together, those have always been a good pair of msking gold, also if you need materials next expansion there might not be a materials vendor. If you have never cared about professions and have just one character as you say, just learn them on your main.

Honestly if you raid on a character in Legion and you don't have alchemy plus enchanting, you're doing it suboptimally. The only two professions left in the game with real benefits (case could be made for engineering, but meh).

Blood of Sargeras

You are in EU so buy 2 or 3 tokens, sell them on AH and never think about gold anymore?

I mean, one token is 25 euro right and what, 250k gold? It's not that much for the luxury of never having to spend time on grindy stuff you don't enjoy in wow. 250k is literally enough to sustain your pots and flasks needs until the end of expansion at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarithus93 View Post
    Greetings,

I've never been one for professions, alts or making gold. That perfect storm of having only one character, never having a way of making gold outside of order hall missions/WQ's and neglecting everything profession based means I always have to buy flasks and potions. In Legion this is ridiculously expensive (to me) when I need hundreds of flasks of the countless armies and old war pots.

What would you recommend I do to get into a position where I can make my own flasks and pots for raiding and mythic+?

I presume the obvious step would be to level Alchemy. Should that alchemy be on my main or on an alt? Should I pick my own herbs?

I've only just yesterday remembered you can buy mats for things with Bloods of Sargeras

As you can see I'm pretty clueless and would appreciate some information on how I can be self sufficient and no longer need to visit the AH for flasks and pots. Thanks.
    No offense, but how are you not loaded with gold? Wod and legion absolutely wrecked the need for gold. Even on one character, missions and the bare minimum world quests give me more gold than I would ever need. Level a few more characters to 110 (it's super easy now with heirlooms and invasions) and invest a small amount of time into them and they'll be making gold for you with minimal effort.
    Quote Originally Posted by Okard View Post
    they took out chill of the throne, if you havent looked. Youre going to do 30% less than youre used to.

just spend the one time time to level up alchemy or just buy a alchemy boost package. It'll benefit you beyond legion and BFA and forever. Think a boost for a lvl 60 toon will give you professions to 700 ? If youre able to get your own mats then make an Alchemy friend. Or maybe join a guild which provides free flask/pots/food ?

Even if you can make your own flasks you likely want to buy them anyway.

Currently (and for most of the expansion) Flasks on my server (EU-Silvermoon) have been selling for less then the mats to craft them.

If you farm the herbs to craft them, sell the herbs on the AH and buy the flask would be better.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account
    On some of my realms, making Flasks and selling them is a gold loss, so it's better to farm herbs > Sell them > buy flasks/potions.
    Level and alchemist for Potions of Prolonged power though, it will save you a ton of gold or even make you gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Razorice View Post
    On some of my realms, making Flasks and selling them is a gold loss, so it's better to farm herbs > Sell them > buy flasks/potions.
    Level and alchemist for Potions of Prolonged power though, it will save you a ton of gold or even make you gold.
    Also pray that Na'zak the Fiend actually spawns again so you can get the rank 3 of prolonged.

Personally I have an herbalist and an alchemist, I still use bloods to get herbs though that I'm too lazy to farm. Starlight Rose is the only one I bother to farm anymore, since it costs the most bloods to get, and if you have rank 3 you have a chance to find blood while gathering them, so you can just use the blood you get from the Roses to buy the other herbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post

Currently (and for most of the expansion) Flasks on my server (EU-Silvermoon) have been selling for less then the mats to craft them.

If you farm the herbs to craft them, sell the herbs on the AH and buy the flask would be better.
    you do realize that a proc can give you up to 10x flasks right? so mats to craft 1 isn't always one, its at WORST (on avarage) 2 pots per pack of materials for a single craft

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Leetbeartank View Post
    No offense, but how are you not loaded with gold? Wod and legion absolutely wrecked the need for gold. Even on one character, missions and the bare minimum world quests give me more gold than I would ever need. Level a few more characters to 110 (it's super easy now with heirlooms and invasions) and invest a small amount of time into them and they'll be making gold for you with minimal effort.
    I've never been one for professions, alts or making gold. I'm not loaded from WoD.

Also that's a massive exageration. One characters order hall missions and wq's give you more gold than you could ever need? You're game must be bugged then because the 2k gold that I regularly get isn't enough to sustain 1 flask costing 570g and pots that cost 27g per. I use a lot of flasks and pots. Not to mention food, repairs, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post

I have difficulties believing that. According to Economics 101, if that was true, then no one would make flasks because it would be less profitable than just selling the mats, which in turn would raise the price of flasks because people would need flasks, so the demand would outgrow the supply.

Deleted
    if you cant make gold from legion, then you really are in trouble. with or without professions.

Then stop buying pots and flasks?

Frankly, you're probably going to spend more gold (and the equivalent time sink which could be spent making gold) switching to Alchemy/Herbalism and leveling them/getting the quests done than you would just sticking with current professions and buying the consumables. I also don't think Alchemy really gives you any significant gold gains over any other crafting profession. If you're in a guild that use cauldrons (and all guilds should because it's significantly cheaper than using individual flasks), the double flask duration doesn't do anything. The only real benefit from alchemy is being able to make Prolonged Power with bloods, which typically gives more gold gain from your bloods than anything else. However, that gain has been rapidly diminishing. For example, the values per blood on two major US servers; you're looking at best at a couple gold extra per blood.

https://rodent.io/blood-money/zuljin
    https://rodent.io/blood-money/stormrage

Enchanting is the only profession with any significant gold gain at this point, and the huge advantage with it is that you can DE everything at level 1 enchanting now. You get so many crap epics from WQ, etc. in Legion that you can DE (I think I average 150-200 chaos crystals a week). Doing that takes you from getting an average of ~25g per epic vendored to closer to an average of ~175g. It's like upwards of 25,000 free gold per week. All other professions really kind of suck in terms of gold gain.

For both pots and flasks, is the cost of buying the pots/flasks off the AH in line with the cost of getting the mats, or is there a huge mark up? If it's way cheaper to get the mats, just buy the mats (either with bloods or outright if other things are currently more profitable from bloods) and get someone to make them for you. Make sure you're using the bloodhunter shoulder enchant, and otherwise just use your current professions to gain bloods where possible, and use those bloods to convert into flasks/pots. That's the more reasonable approach then going for Alchemy (or god forbid spending time manually farming herbs) at this point.

I have 2 fully leveled OH with 950 and mostly optimal gearing. I never find myself in any need for gold, and I buy a lot of consumables for raiding. I think you can easily manage with one as well, you won't come out positive just on the OH, but at least you won't feel like you have to save gold.

Or make an Alchemy alt.

There is no content in this game whose base access requires consumables the way you describe. You are choosing to go above LFR and to hang with people who will demand you spend money on flasks to play with them. That is your choice. You can choose otherwise. Power is irrelevant and fleeting, access is granted by default.

Definitely get alchemy on all chars you plan using flasks on. The double duration perk is priceless.