Page 1 of 14
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Thumbs down Curvy swimsuit model "cyberbullied" over revealing Instagram photo

http://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/201...ram-photo.html

Plus size model Alexa Phelece routinely uses her Instagram to post body positive shots of herself in swimsuits and curve-hugging fashions.

Through her posts and uplifting messages, Phelece has grown her following to nearly 80K. However, her largely supportive fans weren’t as encouraging when the model posted a picture of herself and a much thinner woman wearing the same swimsuit – a $40 khaki monokini from Fashion Nova.

“So here we have two girls in the same swimsuit. Let me just point out a few things,” Phelece captioned the splitscreen photo.

“One girl is in size Sm (I looked online) and one is in 3x- different skin colors," she continued. "– one may be considered privileged- one is more commonly seen as healthy based on size – one is more commonly recognized as beautiful on tv or media,” Phelece said.

However, it was the similarities the Instagram influencer listed that whipped her followers into a frenzy.

“Both [women] are models – both are wearing the same swimsuit," Phelece said. "LETS NOT FORGET: BOTH are beauty – BOTH should be treated equally – both should be able to love their bodies – BOTH should be judged on the content of their character NOT their skin color and definitely NOT their size – Both women are equally capable and worthy.”

Her empowering speech is in line with other captions the Every Body Deserves Love founder has posted. This time, though, her fans were not feeling the love.

“At first I was getting a lot of love and encouragement to continue my self love journey but it quickly got very negative,” she told Yahoo Style. “I received a lot of comments mentioning the status of my health and how I am promoting obesity.”

On the photo, which received over 8,000 likes, one woman commented, “Girl from the right picture represents- laziness, obesity, and this type of post is just an excuse for fat persons, to continue leaving unhealthy life.”

And another person wrote, “’Fat but Fit’ is a myth. There are a myriad of studies out there that all come to the same conclusion. Being overweight, especially obese (yes, she IS obese), increases your risk of heart disease. Love yourself all you want, but you can't deny reality that your weight puts you at risk for an early death. Period.”

Phelece, who told Yahoo Style that she was “heartbroken” to see the amount of hate her photo received, feels that women need to build each other up more rather than attack each other over physical differences.

Still, she is addressing the hate head on in her follow-up posts calling out those who have “fat shamed” and accused her of “promoting obesity,” and posting the ways she stays healthy like exercising and embracing her curves.
    What do you make of this?
    Obviously cyberbullying is serious business but to complain about it because of instagram comments? Nobody is forcing you to make posts on there.

Do you think that Instagram should crack down on this alleged cyberbullying?

Curvy kind of loses its meaning when it's applied to fat people. She shouldn't be cyberbullied for it though.
    Last edited by Wyrt; 2017-09-12 at 02:07 AM.

cyberbullying is never gonna be real

just turn the social media account off
    if you're sitting there taking in the banter that's your problem
    and shes not curby, shes am obese woman, stop sugar coating real problems

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    ew, cyberbullying isn't a thing though just turn off the computer or leave the page.

Deleted
    While I condone all forms of bullying, I also must point out that there's quite a difference between "curvy" and "obese".

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't stand the heat in the Internet? Don't post on the Internet.

She shouldn't be cyberbullied. But she's gonna be cyberbullied. There's not much one can do about it. Asking Instagram to moderate each and every of the trillions of comments they handle every day is beyond the realm of capability. It's too much for humans, and our AI isn't intelligent enough to recognize it. So . . . don't make posts if you can't handle what the 4chan crowd will say.
    Putin khuliyo

Why is she going on about judging people for their character, while engaging in activities designed to strictly judge people for their appearance?

Quote Originally Posted by Gahmuret View Post
    While I condone all forms of bullying, I also must point out that there's quite a difference between "curvy" and "obese".
    don't judge her. Maybe she self identifies as an orca.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post

What do you make of this?
    Obviously cyberbullying is serious business but to complain about it because of instagram comments? Nobody is forcing you to make posts on there.

Do you think that Instagram should crack down on this alleged cyberbullying?
    Lets see you are against cyberbullying, and you claim to support women in their pursuits, yet you hate fat people. Looks like you have to take a stand against at least one of your positions.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think people who'd bully her over this are basically pond scum who need to rethink their lives if this is how they amuse themselves.

That said, the Internet is a hellscape. It isn't kind or pleasant to anyone. Don't chum the waters and act surprised when sharks start circling.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Tennisace defending fat people? Are you coming down with something, Tenn?
    Looks like online bullying is a greater evul!

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, Tuesday, it must be time for another Tennisace post farming fat thread. No, Tenn, with your post history just can the "but it is really about cyberbullying" claim you are about to make, and file it next to the "but it is a trending story" excuse. In the meantime, what are you doing about those various First Nations problems you keep dodging?
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Can't stand the heat in the Internet? Don't post on the Internet.

She shouldn't be cyberbullied. But she's gonna be cyberbullied. There's not much one can do about it. Asking Instagram to moderate each and every of the trillions of comments they handle every day is beyond the realm of capability. It's too much for humans, and our AI isn't intelligent enough to recognize it. So . . . don't make posts if you can't handle what the 4chan crowd will say.

Pretty much this.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I think people who'd bully her over this are basically pond scum who need to rethink their lives if this is how they amuse themselves.

That said, the Internet is a hellscape. It isn't kind or pleasant to anyone. Don't chum the waters and act surprised when sharks start circling.
    This. I wouldn't call her attractive by any means. But I don't think she deserves to be abused.

Also, the woman on the left is freaking hideous. Skinny or not, she is freaking ugly. She'd look better with a bag over her head.
    Last edited by Stormspark; 2017-09-12 at 02:49 AM.

That's not curvy, she's a land whale. Even though the skinny chick is damn near perfect, normal women look closer to her then that blob of lard. That's not healthy, and people need to stop.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    Looks like online bullying is a greater evul!
    But is it worse then not being married?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post

This is dead on... this last part could be used as an accurate response to a great many things in our world, on and off the internet.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Amerrol View Post
    That's not curvy, she's a land whale. Even though the skinny chick is damn near perfect, normal women look closer to her then that blob of lard.
    Nah. The chick on the left in that photo has obvious butt implants/fillers and lip fillers. When the lip gets a mustache like that, it's typically due to lip fillers and not because she forgot to bleach her upper lip that morning or something. I don't think most women have those, plastic surgery/fillers are still used by a minority of women (even if that minority is growing).

Some other things look wonky, but it could be due to bad makeup or photoshop.

Really neither of them look like the "average" woman, but for different reasons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gahmuret View Post
    Huh. I see plainly obese folk calling themselves curvy though...what gives!?

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm fat. I'm not overweight, fluffy, chunky, husky, pleasantly plump, curvy, or any other PC word you want to say to describe someone who's fat. That being said, this woman is fat. She wasn't cyberbullied either. I hate when I see people like this acting as if there's nothing wrong with being fat. Yes don't put yourself down for being fat but don't make it seem all glamorous either.