Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Oberyn Martell View Post
    That's not racism then, is it?
    In America, you're not "black enough" if you dont talk, walk, dress like a black person. In Africa, you're not "black enough" if you are literally not "black enough"

Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    Actually the numbers of african americans playing baseball is down to 8% as of last year 69 out of 862 on opening day rosters.

https://www.overthemonster.com/2016/...ed-sox-chuck-d
    Damn, I guess it did change a lot since last time I watched.

Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    What? I was talking generally historically about institutionalized racism in white nations, things like the slave trade and Nazi Germany.
    Okay man, you seem to be ignorant of history somewhat and that's fine. I came at you a little hard, my bad. What you must understand is that countries based on Western liberal values have spear-headed the fight against racism historically. If it wasn't for the latter actions of the British Empire, slavery would be a much bigger thing, probably still a semi-global trade. Up until that point it had been a fact of life across the world for millenia, justified by religion and race/identity politics.

Examples of anti-racist legislation and examples of definitely racist policy can exist within the same country/culture. They are not somehow mutually exclusive.
    I'd actually really like to see an example of that, as the first hurdle of implementing any law in a parliamentary democracy is whether it conflicts with any previous laws. It's usually the simplest method used by special interest groups to shut down legislation they don't like.

You seem to be under the impression I'm arguing that majority white countries/cultures are just like so racist. I'm saying looking at the big historical picture as a broad assessment I don't think the average white person is any more or less racist than the average any other person. We're not mega racists and we're not all sunshine and hugs.
    Okay, that's not what 'institutionalized racism' means. For a country to be institutionally racist, it would have to mean that prejudicial treatment of a particular ethnic group(s) would have to be enshrined in that country's laws. Such is blatantly not the case. Now, if you'd have said 'colloquially and/or communally accepted racism', I'd have agreed with you. Unfortunately 'institutionalized racism' is such a catch all buzz-phrase these days used quite loosely. Sets my inner linguaphile raging.

Says the country that gets excited over cricket.
    All we get excited about is an excuse to drink gin outside in the 3 days of British summer :P .

10+ Year Old Account
    Really no one understood that banner?
    WTF...

For ppl outside the US.. There is an immense large group (still a minority though) in the US that claims racism in the country, especially institutional racism, doesn't exist, period.

The banner only means that racism is as real in the US and as ingrained in the society as baseball is. And, apparently, they've been at a baseball game. Probably using similar banners at football or basketball games. In those cases though it's harder and more costly to actually get tickets.

That's really all there is to that banner.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Not only is racism as American as baseball, it's as human as religion.

That's not racism then, is it?
    Blacks are suddenly a homogeneous population with no ethnic differences? No differences in skin tone, facial structure, or physical build depending on region?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaibhan View Post
    Not only is racism as American as baseball, it's as human as religion.
    I like that.
    Well said.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Do we make the same separations between white people? Might explain how Brits are racist against Polish.
    I can explain to you how the English have been racist to the Welsh, Scots and Irish for centuries if you'd like.

Quote Originally Posted by Swalload View Post
    Damn, I guess it did change a lot since last time I watched.
    Yeah, as a black person, I stopped watching in the late 90's partially because my favorite teams sucks, partially because my favorite player retired, partially because I started to gravitate towards football as my favorite sport to play and watch.

White guilt is the new american past time for leftists.
    Working on my next ban.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    Yeah a civilized conversation about how racism is overblown and manipulated by your favorite whipping boy, the press. If you want to have a real cogent debate on racism in America, dispute the findings by the DOJ, familial wealth and income by race, as well as why minority populations are incarcerated at a higher rate.
    So, the issue with wealth distribution is an extremely complex discussion, and simply saying its institutionalized racism is an easy scapegoat on a difficult subject. The issues that cause this are far from simple and range from a wide variety of problems. These problems are "difficult to talk about" and often force us to look at wider issues than a simple generalization, and tend to materialize as such:

1) Two parent homes tend to produce offspring with higher education, and greater income
    2) Community where the schools are located GREATLY effect the education of young individuals, better schools generally lead to greater income
    3) Disparity in education standards from Northern States/Far West States and the traditional Southern States
    4) Generational Wealth aids in the procurement of further wealth generation by later generations within the family
    5) College attendance, usually leads to a higher income margin

Now, when we income distributions in states, when someone lives in the Northern States or the Far Western States, income tends to be fairly evenly distributed. This is because a great emphasis is placed on educational standards and higher learning, where as the south is generally adverse to federal educational standards due to "states righters", which impedes not only blacks, but everyone else living within those areas. Also, males are starting to become to minority in the higher learning sphere, which further exacerbates the issue of black male earnings.

Prison population can usually be seen as a product of the income disparities, but once again this tends to be a south dominated phenomena, which ultimately leads back to poor education standards as opposed to their northern counterparts. A major factor in this tends to be the neighborhood people live in, more affluent suburban neighborhoods tend to have better education systems, and the main derivative of this that its harder for single earner households to afford houses in these neighborhoods, leading to even more disparity in the black community due to the prevalence of single parent households.

White there is certainly some institutionalized racism within the justice system, that's really an easy scapegoat on the larger issues i just highlighted, which are the real issues at hand in this situation. Was that more up to your standards?

Quote Originally Posted by vain View Post
    yes white supremacist are biased too in a good way , maybe the only clue you have about races and racism is american history x or something ?
    Yeah, nothing bad comes from white supremacy and their authoritarian bullshit...

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, probably. But the proper term we should be using is "discrimination", people have been discrimination other people for various reasons, and people have been segregating other people by various... attributes. There are plenty of countries where live people of same race, but discrimination still exists
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Quote Originally Posted by Vathoren View Post
    Okay man, you seem to be ignorant of history somewhat and that's fine. I came at you a little hard, my bad. What you must understand is that countries based on Western liberal values have spear-headed the fight against racism historically. If it wasn't for the latter actions of the British Empire, slavery would be a much bigger thing, probably still a semi-global trade. Up until that point it had been a fact of life across the world for millenia, justified by religion and race/identity politics.
    I understand that, despite my ignorance of history. All I was really saying though is that Western countries can have the most racially progressive policies AND have the most historically prominent glaring examples of the opposite of that. Western nations, whites, and white cultures are not a homogeneous unit, and the history of race and policy is a smear of shades of grey.

I'd actually really like to see an example of that, as the first hurdle of implementing any law in a parliamentary democracy is whether it conflicts with any previous laws. It's usually the simplest method used by special interest groups to shut down legislation they don't like.
    How many anti-discrimination laws in the US came about as a direct counter to a pre-existing policy/condition? The Civil Rights movement against Jim Crow laws, for an example.

Okay, that's not what 'institutionalized racism' means. For a country to be institutionally racist, it would have to mean that prejudicial treatment of a particular ethnic group(s) would have to be enshrined in that country's laws. Such is blatantly not the case. Now, if you'd have said 'colloquially and/or communally accepted racism', I'd have agreed with you. Unfortunately 'institutionalized racism' is such a catch all buzz-phrase these days used quite loosely. Sets my inner linguaphile raging.
    In my summation that you quoted to respond to here then yes, that is not institutionalized racism. Obviously. But what I was referring to when I said 'institutionalized racism' were things like the Atlantic slave trade, Nazi racial policy, Apartheid South Africa, and things like that that were institutionalized racism.

Do we make the same separations between white people? Might explain how Brits are racist against Polish.
    Are you really under the impression that this has never happened? No historical examples of discrimination against Irish, Slavs, or anything? Go back to the early United States, find out how enthusiastically the Irish, German, Polish, and especially Catholic immigrants were greeted.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    Yeah, as a black person, I stopped watching in the late 90's partially because my favorite teams sucks, partially because my favorite player retired, partially because I started to gravitate towards football as my favorite sport to play and watch.
    Amen to that, football is 10000000x better than baseball

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Yeah, nothing bad comes from white supremacy and their authoritarian bullshit...
    White supremacists would be fascists

maybe its just time to admit that race is real and genetically decides what the median potential of a people is

oh noessssss blasphemy blasphemy blasphemy

Quote Originally Posted by Martymark View Post
    Apparently OP has never spent time in any other country than the US ever. The levels of racism in most asian countries and South America would cause them to have an aneurism.
    its funny that some liberals will be treated like garbage if they lived in other countries other than their own if they don't have money or interest to those countries
    the west is one of the best cultures that accept others the liberals must be honored for it not hating the culture

white guilt must be strong in them.. poor souls...
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Herald of the Titans Pterodactylus's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    The country has racism written into our founding documents.

Article 1, Section 2, Paragraph 3 of the United States Constitution:

Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union, according to their respective Numbers, which shall be determined by adding to the whole Number of free Persons, including those bound to Service for a Term of Years, and excluding Indians not taxed, three fifths of all other Persons.
    “You know, it really doesn’t matter what the media write as long as you’ve got a young, and beautiful, piece of ass." - President Donald Trump

Woulda been funny if one 'em would got hit in the head by a stray ball.