Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Seeking advice on a new headphone

So my current headset broke today and I'm looking out for a new setup audio wise. Now I've been reading that getting a headphone and microphone stand would be better than a headset with a build in mic.

The thing is there are so fucking many products out there and without knowing anything about it I feel scared spending my money on the wrong product.

Are there any headphones you could advice and maybe an amplifier as well if needed?

The headphones that looked the most interesting so far were:

http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/shop/dt-990-pro.html

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/he...375/index.html

https://www.akg.com/Headphones/Profe...s/K612PRO.html

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I would go for Sennheiser or BayerDynamic
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    I would go for Sennheiser or BayerDynamic
    Yea, that's not really helpful.

What's your soundcard? No point in getting any of those expensive headsets if you're running of your integrated audio.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    What's your soundcard? No point in getting any of those expensive headsets if you're running of your integrated audio.
    I'm running from my motherboard MSI Z97 Gaming 5...hence I'm asking advice, I have no idea how to go about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeilon View Post
    I'm running from my motherboard MSI Z97 Gaming 5...hence I'm asking advice, I have no idea how to go about this.
    You got two options basically: going for gaming grade headset (which does include a mic most of the time), or going for a discrete soundcard + audiophile grade headphones + ModMic. Obviously if you're looking for superior sound quality and have the budget you should go for the second option. If not, just go for a good gaming headset, I recommend HyperX Cloud Core/Cloud II (Core doesnt have a USB soundcard).
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    You got two options basically: going for gaming grade headset (which does include a mic most of the time), or going for a discrete soundcard + audiophile grade headphones + ModMic. Obviously if you're looking for superior sound quality and have the budget you should go for the second option. If not, just go for a good gaming headset, I recommend HyperX Cloud Core/Cloud II (Core doesnt have a USB soundcard).
    As I said in the OP, I have no interest in another gaming headset since I read it's clearly inferior to having the 2 separate. I just don't know what to get, I need specifics.

I have been using ATH-AD700, the previous model of the Audio-Technica headphones you linked, since 2012 and it's a brilliant set. Even with your onboard sound card you will get excellent sound in those after you fiddle just a little bit with the equaliser. You feel the bass in your chest, it's that delicious. I imagine that with a dedicated sound card they will sound even better. The only downside I found are the velour ear pads which will collect hair, dust, and dirt easily and require cleaning (the same goes for the head pads). If you go for those, I'd buy a couple pairs of spare pads for replacement after the foam inside them loses its firmness too.

That said, these are big headphones and they're going to feel pretty loose; they're also not adjustable. I have a pretty big head (60 cm circumference), but they still don't really feel very snug. For comparison, the HyperX Cloud II are too tight for me and they just barely fit at maximum extension. For best comfort, I suggest visiting some audio stores and trying the headphones on to see how they feel and what the sound is like.

And unless you're a composer or have some sort of excellent hearing where you're capable of telling by ear how hard the pianist is hitting the keys and at what angle, I wouldn't worry about the audiophile marketing spiel. Get what sounds good to you and don't overspend, because sound experience is a very subjective thing, and just because someone spills pretentious audio-babble about mids, lows, sound stage etc. doesn't mean you'll experience the sound the same on the same pair of headphones.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Poganin View Post
    I have been using ATH-AD700, the previous model of the Audio-Technica headphones you linked, since 2012 and it's a brilliant set. Even with your onboard sound card you will get excellent sound in those after you fiddle just a little bit with the equaliser. You feel the bass in your chest, it's that delicious. I imagine that with a dedicated sound card they will sound even better. The only downside I found are the velour ear pads which will collect hair, dust, and dirt easily and require cleaning (the same goes for the head pads). If you go for those, I'd buy a couple pairs of spare pads for replacement after the foam inside them loses its firmness too.

That said, these are big headphones and they're going to feel pretty loose; they're also not adjustable. I have a pretty big head (60 cm circumference), but they still don't really feel very snug. For comparison, the HyperX Cloud II are too tight for me and they just barely fit at maximum extension. For best comfort, I suggest visiting some audio stores and trying the headphones on to see how they feel and what the sound is like.

And unless you're a composer or have some sort of excellent hearing where you're capable of telling by ear how hard the pianist is hitting the keys and at what angle, I wouldn't worry about the audiophile marketing spiel. Get what sounds good to you and don't overspend, because sound experience is a very subjective thing, and just because someone spills pretentious audio-babble about mids, lows, sound stage etc. doesn't mean you'll experience the sound the same on the same pair of headphones.
    That's good to hear, was leaning towards this headset. with on board sound driver you mean the motherboard I assume?

Getting decent headphones is not that difficult. I'd suggest going to a high end headphone shop, trying the sets you are interested in in person and then buying the one you like the most online. With headphones, there's only so much people online can help you, and considering you already have only 3 contenders, it might be the time to do some trials. You likely wouldn't be disappointed with any of the sets, but everyone likes something different and there are slight differences how each of the sets delivers music.

I had issues with trying to get decent stand mic though. Anything below $30 is the same cheap crap, just in more plastic for the more expensive ones. Then there's gap, basically non-existent budget midrange and then the next price range starts at $70

Quote Originally Posted by Aeilon View Post
    That's good to hear, was leaning towards this headset. with on board sound driver you mean the motherboard I assume?
    Yes, that's what I meant.

I've been using an Astro A50 for the past few years... awesome headset.

Oh, one other thing you probably should pay attention to when buying headphones is their impedance rating. The Audio-Technica ATD-AD700X has low impedance, which makes them good for computer use. But the other two you're linking have a much higher impedance and I'm not sure if the power from the onboard computer sound card will be sufficient to drive them. Someone else should comment on this. Headphones with higher impedance will require an amplifier to sound good.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have the ATH-AD700X and they are worth the money but dont buy sound card if you want more power for the headset get a Dac like FX Audio DAC-X6. You could also get the the ATH-AD700X from amazon cheaper

Have astro a50 and that wireles exspensive csnt rwmember name however not using them since bought corsair void gaming headset EXTREMELY light weight wireless also sound is equal to much more exspensive ones mic best ive tried on a headset. Ofc if youre going with a dac also youll bell able to get better sound. But the corsair void its so light you dont feel them on the head which is the nr 1 for me when gaming

Deleted
    Hi,

i have the Beyerdynamic 990 pro and i love them.
    I use them for gaming, professional work and music. The sounds is brilliant and they are very comfortable.
    I can hear footstep in Overwatch very clearly. (I use razer sourround pro in the razer synapse client for sourround sound)
    The do have boosted bass and highs, i toned the highs down just a little.
    They are open so you hear background noise. If you often have someone else in the room e.g. watching tele you might consider the 770 Pro as they are closed and will conceal background noise.

Hope that helps.

Using a Beyer Dynamic DT990 and a Creative Soundblaster E5 and very happy with it for both Gaming and Music (i dont watch movies with it as i dont watch them on PC).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by darkmos View Post
    I have the ATH-AD700X and they are worth the money but dont buy sound card if you want more power for the headset get a Dac like FX Audio DAC-X6. You could also get the the ATH-AD700X from amazon cheaper
    I live in Europe so I haven't checked where to buy it from. Can I ask what "Dac like FX Audio DAC-X6" is? As I said, I'm green on this subject...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wildpantz View Post
    Have astro a50 and that wireles exspensive csnt rwmember name however not using them since bought corsair void gaming headset EXTREMELY light weight wireless also sound is equal to much more exspensive ones mic best ive tried on a headset. Ofc if youre going with a dac also youll bell able to get better sound. But the corsair void its so light you dont feel them on the head which is the nr 1 for me when gaming
    Is a DAC and amplifier or something?

Quote Originally Posted by h4rr0d View Post
    With headphones, there's only so much people online can help you
    i think this is the most important thing to keep in mind. size/shape of your head/ears, whether you wear glasses or not, what kind of glasses, the state of your hearing, how much background noise goes on in your room, house, street, etc..

yeah you can ask what is a high quality brand, advice on how to set things up (sound card/integrated/external amp) but beyond that you have to try it out yourself

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by the boar View Post
    i think this is the most important thing to keep in mind. size/shape of your head/ears, whether you wear glasses or not, what kind of glasses, the state of your hearing, how much background noise goes on in your room, house, street, etc..

yeah you can ask what is a high quality brand, advice on how to set things up (sound card/integrated/external amp) but beyond that you have to try it out yourself
    This is what I'm asking though, I have no background noise and I got an average sized head. I need to know what kind of amp I need if I need any at all.