Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Will Korea ever be reunited?

Seems like a pipe dream after so many years. North Korea could have been prevented... Well, it's too late now anyhow. Slightest step wrong and millions of people die.

Is there any solution to this at all?

Deleted
    No, not unless they wipe out anyone brainwashed by half a century of indoctrination.

I think that South Korea also doesnt really want to join with the North again, since it's an incredible strain on their economy if they do.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    yea nah, i don't think china and russia will allow this.
    Last edited by chrykoolaid; 2017-09-20 at 01:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I doubt it ever will. And if it happens, it has to be eased.
    Like Deruyter mentioned, it'll put an enormous economic strain on SK when NK joins. Not only do they have to be un-doctrinated (Not sure if it's an actual word, but I'll go with it), get Westernized like SK is right now. And don't forget the whole malnourishment thing. But I guess that'd fall under the whole economic strain.

Ever kind of implies forever. Forever is a long long time for things to change. One day it will happen. It might be when both sides are a green glow of nuclear waste and fall out in which anyone still alive bans together to stay alive a little longer. Or in the distant future it might just happen totally peacefully. Forever is a long time to let things happen. I mean we have had pretty bitter enemies become good friends many many times in history.

Germany did it. East Germany was a poor Russian client state, West Germany was a rich Western nation, they reunited.

Korea is rich too. it's the 12th richest nation in the world.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

I can kinda see two possibilities of that ever happening in the not so near future:

China starts thinking that the loonies in NK are worse for their security than an america friendly SK and NK collapses East Germany style.

The US stops trying to conquer the world and goes back to isolationist "why should we give a fuck?" mode. China can then reunite Korrea into a "totally not China, but China" puppet state like the rest of their border.

I give 1% chance of either of those happening in my lifetime^^
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    I think that South Korea also doesnt really want to join with the North again, since it's an incredible strain on their economy if they do.
    Looking back at east and western germany I'd say the opposite. I'm sure that SK would help NK to recover if they where given the option to unite.

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel like the economic impact of them reuniting would be catastrophic. Don't think it will happen.

They are united as colonies of Japan for all time, albeit not as de facto ones right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    I see it as an inevitability. North Korea is a very unstable country right now, and it's just a matter of time before the government collapses. If not from all the other nations who are constantly on North Korea's case, but its own citizens who find out about the outside world.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Germany did it. East Germany was a poor Russian client state, West Germany was a rich Western nation, they reunited.

Korea is rich too. it's the 12th richest nation in the world.
    Germany had the benefit of separation being fresh in their mind. Family members on the other side still being alive.

Korea split around 1945, family ties are being cut as they die off and a new generation takes its place that does not personally know their family on the other side.

I think reunification is possible, but not right now. And it would likely be tense if the reunification happened due to war/conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by Finnish Nerd View Post
    Will Korea ever be reunited?
    TLDR: Not in our lifetime.

--

So, there is a quote by John F. Kennedy. "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable."

The big issue is really that China kinda considers North Korea a vassal. They're not gonna give that up unless the Chinese government drastically changes the expansionist policy (Tibet, Japan sea islands etc). Even if the people of NK themselves should rise up and pitchfork their glorious leader, China won't allow a non-pet in charge. Everyone involved knows this, and SK would have assassinated the Kims long ago if the replacement wasn't just gonna be more capable. As long as this is the situation, North Korea and South Korea will never be reunited. The best you could achieve is a more open border.

But never is a long time. At some point, China will have a revolution. It is not a question of if. It is a question of when. I do not know if it will be violent or not, but China will change. Someone will overthrow the self-serving "communist" party and replace it with something else, either from within or externally. Probably the replacement will not be much better. There will likely be multiple changes, and they will likely be rapid once they start.

For every one of those changes, there is a chance that North Korea will lose that hand of protection. Don't get me wrong, it will take a bit of a change of Chinese policy to make this happen, and it is not guaranteed that it ever will. You'd need a leadership not going for the humanitarian rather than the expansionist approach, and that is gonna be hard and rare. But at some point, it will happen. And at that point, North Korea will be going the way of Ghadaffi's Libya. From there... it's anyone's guess.

Do I think this will happen anytime soon? No. Not at all. But if China keeps the status quo in 20 years, I will be massively surprised. I will be more surprised if that change leads to a relaxation in the expansionist policy before I die of old age. So it's all down to china, really.
    Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah more like North Korea will just be taken by China which at this point might be the best solution.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

I doubt it. If anything, they'll just become a satellite state for China.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chrykoolaid View Post
    yea nah, i don't think china and russia will allow this.
    As if non-Koreans had any say in the matter....

Reunification requires a natural barrier with China. An ocean or a lake of some kind. Maybe we can dig a ditch of hope, which will flood into a river of freedom.

You say you are against a freedom river but what if I told you Donald Trump is against the Freedom River, are you really going to take Donald Trump's side?

Hoose stupid now?

More likely than not. If rocket boy keeps firing missles he's gonna get put down. China doesn't have the naval strength to do anything about it

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    More likely than not. If rocket boy keeps firing missles he's gonna get put down. China doesn't have the naval strength to do anything about it
    reunification after attack is still not an option, because SK doesnt want a rushed process.