Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by notanmmmonewbie View Post
    It actually is "nothing" when compared to those people you know who spents 20K on mobile phone games. Assuming you are talking about they actually spent 20k money. Because in EVE all these news articles will leave out that the person who robbed $10K or the person who had their $6K may have just lost the equivalent of that amount of money. Games that have tokens you can buy with irl money and exchange for in game currency have a way to compare in game currency to actual currency...but because the money can only go one way that reference number is only really good for a comparison. Like if the EVE online token costs 20 dollars and in game that token is worth 500mil ISK then thats a 500mil ISK to 20 dollar equivalency. So a ship that costs 2bil ISK has an equivalent cost of 80 dollars. That doesnt mean someone spent 80 dollars to get that ship. They *could* have but they could also have saved up all that in game currency through regular gameplay. Or as part of a guild effort to save it all up...or part saved up through gameplay while they only spent 20 real dollars to offset the cost.

In the comments section of the news articles that report stories like this its pretty common to see non gamers making comments like "GOMG how could anyone spend 6K dollars on a video game". Not knowing how the equivalency works like how i mentioned above.
    no he actually spent 20k$ dollars lol, but he does have his own company 1m$ house etc, but he can't be the only person out there well and i know he isn't there's a russian server where some guy spends even more than he does and this is just 1 mobile game thats not that popular, some of the most popular probably have even bigger spenders remember mobile games are all pay 2 win.

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    no he actually spent 20k$ dollars lol, but he does have his own company 1m$ house etc, but he can't be the only person out there well and i know he isn't there's a russian server where some guy spends even more than he does and this is just 1 mobile game thats not that popular, some of the most popular probably have even bigger spenders remember mobile games are all pay 2 win.
    He was saying people in EVE don't spend that much actual money. He wasn't disputing that people send that much in mobile games. You misread his comment.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Jesus Christ. That story is like the script for a movie.
    Yeah, shit like this happens a lot, just on a much smaller scale. "Spai" joins corp for a while, builds trust, robs them blind. Many corps require full API keys, which gives them access to to most of your in game info (they don't see your account info or anything) to protect themselves. This includes in game mail, wallet transactions, etc.

I could never do something like this to a group of people I spent months playing with, but it was what got me interested in the game in the first place. It's fascinating.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    This seems par for the course, based on what I hear about this game. I wouldn't bother playing this, I'd just get annoyed very fast and quit. The fact it continues to make big events is astounding though.
    For every big battle, spying or sabotage that makes it to the news, there are a hundred thousand players who spend 95% of their game time mining asteroids on 5 accounts.
    You would not get annoyed with the game because some mastermind fucks over your corporation, as most players never gain possession of anything that's even worth stealing. You would more likely quit due to boredom, or after some random ganker blows up your ship.

This eventually happens in any game where gamer ego's take over be it a corporation in eve or guild in any other.

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    ah ok, well still seems like nothing i know people who have spent $20,000 on mobile phone games, literally no graphics, just a few lines of text and numbers 3 battles a day, so 10k is literally fuck all.
    then give me $10k

or i'm gonna say you're full of angst, shit and dipshittery

need my paypal?

10+ Year Old Account
    I love hearing about this game. There is always some weird drama and intrigue

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    http://www.pcgamer.com/inside-the-bi...nline-history/

EVE just had its own 9/11 (This happened on September 11th)

Too long to quote here but apparently someone staged a coup that saw 4000 players and an in-game corporation loose a collective total of over $10,000 worth of in-game money, leaving the guild a destitute shell and the leader permanently banned after he lashed out. The reason? Revenge!

Video Alternative:

I personally don't play EVE Online but holy shit. The amount of backstabbing and what-not that seems to go on in that game is interesting to read, Human nature in its natural (sort of) habitat. I always find that interesting.

This isn't the first time EVE players have gone extreme. There was even a hilarious war over Anime according to the video I linked.
    This literally happens every few months in that game. This isn't really big news anymore.

I love how so many people just decided to chime in nonsense on this thread. "It happens on WoW a lot, yawn", "happens every month on eve, bla bla", "i know people who spend 20k on mobile games", etc. Alrighty then.

When the equivalent of tens of thousands of dollars gets stolen (in a legit fashion say you) in a game, it's big, sorry to disappoint you guys. It's not common. It's not easy. It's not boring.

EVE Online's player driven stories, scams and wars are the best, and i'm just sad that the learning curve is huge and the power creep is out of control, otherwise i'd jump right in, but 13-14 years of skilled skills and wealth is just too much.

I'd pay big bucks for a similar sandbox game, even if on another setting.

It would require something between 125-150 million gold (on the low side) to be scammed\stolen from World of Warcraft (EU realm token price of 250k). Yea, that'd be big.

Like if the EVE online token costs 20 dollars and in game that token is worth 500mil ISK then thats a 500mil ISK to 20 dollar equivalency. So a ship that costs 2bil ISK has an equivalent cost of 80 dollars. That doesnt mean someone spent 80 dollars to get that ship.
    Comparing to WoW, that kind of theft would be on the scale of billions of gold. You might not have bought it one by one with wowtokens but it's still a significant sum

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah honestly I am not surprised by this and frankly doesn't it go with the territory, what part of this game isn't completely dedicated to some kind of quasi criminal element. Hell when I tried the game nearly 10 years ago it had this kind of nonsense, and it seems as if this is the developers bread and butter, basically the 4chan of Scifi MMORPG.

I can't imagine anyone playing this game wouldn't be aware this kind of thing happens ALL the time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    I love how so many people just decided to chime in nonsense on this thread. "It happens on WoW a lot, yawn", "happens every month on eve, bla bla", "i know people who spend 20k on mobile games", etc. Alrighty then.

When the equivalent of tens of thousands of dollars gets stolen (in a legit fashion say you) in a game, it's big, sorry to disappoint you guys. It's not common. It's not easy. It's not boring.

EVE Online's player driven stories, scams and wars are the best, and i'm just sad that the learning curve is huge and the power creep is out of control, otherwise i'd jump right in, but 13-14 years of skilled skills and wealth is just too much.

I'd pay big bucks for a similar sandbox game, even if on another setting.

It would require something between 125-150 million gold (on the low side) to be scammed\stolen from World of Warcraft (EU realm token price of 250k). Yea, that'd be big.
    Yeah are you under the impression anybody with a heart beat over the age of reason isn't well aware of what kind of game EVE is. Hell most of the shit that goes on there doesn't happen because nobody else could do it, it's just that most choose not to engage in the nonsense

This specifically which is something that not only happens but is encourage.

Nothing complicated about gaining the trust of people just willing enough to try to trust someone and buying time until the right moment to completely rob a bunch of people who play a game that is basically about trying to rob people in a game as often as possible.
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2017-09-25 at 06:00 AM.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

lol the nerd screams must have been > 9000

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Yeah honestly I am not surprised by this and frankly doesn't it go with the territory, what part of this game isn't completely dedicated to some kind of quasi criminal element.
    Every PvP-centric game I've played remotely like Eve was plagued with people looking to get a leg up on the backs of others.

This story though, isn't about someone that was *trying* to ninja a guildbank, but instead had it handed to him by a player so toxic it resulted in a permanent ban to their 13 year old account.