Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Is pvp still terrible?

Every expansion until WoD i've been 1v3-5ing in Wpvp day after day until WoD when skill started to mean almost nothing and I could only do 1v2s at most.
    In legion it's gotten even worse, skill means nothing and it's a 1v1 game now. I managed to find solice in mistweaver because I could still outplay many people at once using mistwalk but they removed that skill.
    I've since been gone because Wpvp has been the only thing left for me in the game since they removed the value of PVE gear in WotLK and CATA (cata was the nail in the coffin).
    Arena started to become a joke in S9 and now it is just sad. Not to mention Glad title isn't cool anymore anyway.

Wpvp has always remained relatively constant, the more skill you had the more you were capable of, to very high extremes. At least until WoD, and now Legion.

There's been a few patches since I left, has the pvp situation improved at all or is it still a 1v1 game?
    I need something to play.
    Last edited by djcoin; 2017-09-24 at 07:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    No great amount of changes that would drastically shake up (or in legion's case in my opinion undo damage) for a patch. It's a new expansion you will have to wait for major changes that would do much of anything in any regard to changing the overall skill ceiling/floor of PvP. For most cases all patchs really do are small number tweaks here and there
    Pokemon Shield
    FC: SW-6999-1982-1088
    Name: Awesome
    Always ready to battle!

7+ Year Old Account
    A major consensus from the people on this website would say yes, it is (or still is) terrible. Personally I do not think it is completely horrid but it could be getting there soon.

The only reason we are in this position is because "modern" Blizzard had the wheel when they revamped the classes. "Modern" Blizzard employees are clueless.
    Essentially meaning WoW is a lost cause at this point.
    Is there any other game in which skill scaling is a thing?
    Last edited by djcoin; 2017-09-24 at 09:07 PM.

With the right legiondaries and gear you can 1v10 now in wpvp. I've seen it again and again in the Wpvp world quests. Some classes almost seem undamagable with the autobubbles and crazy movement. From the sounds of it OP, you are actually missing the time of your life in wpvp currently. GL getting the gear and catching up if you come back, better hope RNG is your friend.

Deleted
    The start of legion was terrible, pvp has evolved into something unspeakable now

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoramier of Lordaeron View Post
    Are you suggesting wow ever had good pvp? LuL
    Imho, it really was...mind you i am not talking about perfection.
    I think aside from a few patches/seasons WOTLK, CATA, MoP all had better PvP than what we have right now, by a long shot if you ask me.

It's bad, and it's not going to change this expansion. The horrible part isn't PvP, it's the class design. They also said they'd update the PvP talents, but they haven't changed for most classes throughout the entire expansion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure. PVP was never great to begin with
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    With the right legiondaries and gear you can 1v10 now in wpvp. I've seen it again and again in the Wpvp world quests. Some classes almost seem undamagable with the autobubbles and crazy movement. From the sounds of it OP, you are actually missing the time of your life in wpvp currently. GL getting the gear and catching up if you come back, better hope RNG is your friend.
    That's the issue, skill is meaningless now so gear has to compensate. That model worked in pre-wrath WoW because there was so much more to the game and end-game gearing was a very difficult and elusive goal, so you basically deserved it if you could do that.

It doesn't work in the model where everyone and their mom can complete the game with minimal effort.

During timeless isle for example, my gear was 1 year out of date compared to most of the people on the isle, yet I was basically a god because for lack of a better explanation I am just really freaking good at the game, I spent years perfecting my craft. If I had the gear other people had at the time...I can't even imagine what I could have been capable of.

It was pretty much like this all the way back to the beginning of WotLK when I did a 1v25 at Xroads with the unspeakable power of very early blood dk in a full set of pvp gear. The crazy survivability I had gave me time to practice analyzing and multitasking taking on so many people and using my control to minimize damage against me. Basically what seemed like entire horde faction came and stomped me, I've never seen the barrens so filled with horde.
    For the rest of WotLK I went around basically killing everything that moved as much as people with flying mounts would allow me and perfecting my gameplay in arena (back when arena gameplay actually took skill and was a legit progression).

Then I xfered to tich/malganis in cata and pretty much did the same thing in Tol barad isle with my hunter, 1v10s at the start moving down to 1v3-5s as people got more geared.
    I can count the number of times I died during the expansion on 1 or two hands because I used feign death>deepholm potion>take portal back into tol barad whenever I was near death lolz. I got reported for hacking so much

Then in Mop I used what was supposedly the "weakest" class (rogue) to fill entire zones with skeletons at the start of mop. Literally you could fly over a zone and see skeletons everywhere.
    It was indeed weak, it hit like a wet noodle but what the average player didn't realize is that it had so much control that the lack of damage didn't matter, I was nearly un-stoppable.

Then on timeless isle i basically became world first fire-watcher and killed everything that moved for 6 months straight, I didn't care how many people there were grouped up at youlon, I was freakin rambo-rogue.
    Opening up on someone on mal'ganis timeless isle was basically an automatic 1v3 minimal.
    I also had the bonus of killing thousands of players in a single day using ordos and the cross realm tech, I wish I still had the video of that. 9 hours of rofl.

I guess there was also that time when I prevented malganis from raiding highmaul for like 5 days using the graveyard glitch (in which a GM actually cheered me on!) and that time I camped the legendary ring quest for 3 days, of course I had to resort to multiboxing then because it was in WoD and I needed to make up for the lack of capability that skill used to provide.

Long story short I would get banned every few months for pissing off too many people and/or camping a GM on his in-game toon which would always end up happening eventually, I guess the law of averages lol. It was the most fulfilling thing ever. I actually got like a "high" off of the mental stimulation required to pvp like that.
    Now we are stuck with this hallow empty shell of a game, an excuse.

Sadly after years of reading blue posts and trying to figure out wtf they are doing I slowly and painfully came to realize their team communication is just a mess, they never learn lessons and repeat mistakes like I breathe air, and that taking drugs is a requirement to work at blizzard because they so clearly don't pay attention to previous philosophical and technical models of different aspects of the game that proved financially and critically successful in the past. They seem to have this motto of pushing forward into the unknown regardless of what worked previously.
    Last edited by djcoin; 2017-09-24 at 11:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like you already knew the answer before you even started this thread. Yes, PvP is still braindead. 1vX is a pipe dream for most specs, even if it's possible for your spec it's hardly skillful now. Gotta wait for 8.0. If 8.0 doesn't do it, gotta wait for 9.0, and so on. Blizzard only changes class design once per expansion.

Since there hasn't been any mixup in the class design team, and people are still stuck complaining about balance rather than design, the future is looking bleak.
    Last edited by docterfreeze; 2017-09-25 at 03:59 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    Wpvp ever being about skill, lul no.
    Not large scale WPvP, but your ability to 1vX and duel was a pretty great show of class mastery depending on the expansion.

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember Roguecraft videos.

just pretty much "Hey, you need to nerf Rogues" propaganda.

#TeamFuckEverything

It sucks being addicted to a drug that no longer exists

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember my Vanilla PVP days, helped a lot of people get GM and HWL. made some good friends. Even though I have no idea where they ended up, I hope they all are doing good.

I really don't miss it, to be honest. Get Raid gear, blow shit up. I do miss the people though

#TeamFuckEverything

10+ Year Old Account
    I think pvp is the best it's ever been

Not world pvp though, that's probably the worst it's ever been

Doing some random BG's or brawls are fun as a ret paladin. Play a healer or caster?? Forget it. Completely horrible experience. When I try playing holydin a melee or two just lock onto you, stun stun, interrupt, locked out, dead.

10+ Year Old Account
    they need to start back from tbc and take the good path
    some things are to keep obviously like battlegrounds, but with seasons and the arenas as it is playable currently, blizzard is just trying to convince themselves that it's good, while they're in the wrong path since so long, they need to accept that and move on

I still remember Tom Chilton talking about "pvp system 3" before legion, hoping it would be good, you can tell how he trusted the pvp team and how the pvp team was not even aware that they were not designing something worthy of blizzard
    Last edited by Cæli; 2017-09-25 at 05:02 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gotta say it's pretty shit atm, got killed by some peps last night cuz they jumped me, they did not try a 2nd time
    Also did some 2s for the first time in legion (havent played that much and also focused on pve cuz ye...) every game we got was like day n night, either we slayed cuz we cc'd or we got killed simpley cuz we did not have enough cc.
    Last edited by Rageadon; 2017-09-25 at 05:05 AM.

i will say this about the pvp (unspeakable)