Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

WoW without damage meters and combat logs

Was wondering what implication of removing combat log numbers on game would be.

Do you think it could ultimately help diversify builds since people and devs would care less about balance, and would create more fun builds, stats, traits and options? Or you think it will outright kill the game today with everyone so used to meters?

You'd wipe all the time and won't know why.

They'd have to make everything easier just so you could actually kill mythic bosses.

if anything wow needs to expand on meters and such. nothing wrong with players getting better and better as time goes on.

"Create more fun builds"? you mean we start gimping ourselves and play shitty on purpose? Hell the ONLY thing I miss in D3 is a damn combatlog so I can perfect the way I play and improve from the small mistakes I dont catch with my very eye.

Seriously.. no.. fuck no.. hell no... die-in-a-flame-NO! Worst idea ever for ANYONE that is semi competitive in the game... and if you are not, then you probably dont give a rats ass about the combat log anyway so it doesnt affect you!

Pro Tip: DONT look at it if it bothers you! /solved! No need to ruin awesome info for us that care!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xjev View Post

Do you think it could ultimately help diversify builds since people and devs would care less about balance, and would create more fun builds, stats, traits and options? Or you think it will outright kill the game today with everyone so used to meters?
    No, people would still calculate stuff in theory and there would always be accepted builds and non accepted builds.
    I play an MMO like that (FF-XIV)and, suffice it to say, it sucks flying blind. It just feels bad not being able to gauge your own performance, so I use a 3rd party program to log and parse. (DEVs are ok with it as long as we don't diss players over the values)

They would have to remove "DPS checks" on bosses. But I don't think it will stop anyone from saying "This is the best build" because I casually play GW2 and I get kicked from groups for not having using the highest DPS build for my profession.

10+ Year Old Account
    They'd have to make the game A LOT easier for people to be able to actually kill things. Not to mention that you'd have no idea what killed you/wiped the raid

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianCC100 View Post
    They would have to remove "DPS checks" on bosses.
    That they won't have to do. FF-XIV has had pretty brutal DPS checks in savage raids.

They might have to tone down general complexity though.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    No, people would still calculate stuff in theory and there would always be accepted builds and non accepted builds.
    I play an MMO like that (FF-XIV)and, suffice it to say, it sucks flying blind. It just feels bad not being able to gauge your own performance, so I use a 3rd party program to log and parse. (DEVs are ok with it as long as we don't diss players over the values)
    Yeah, it's super frustrating how many numbers FFXIV hides from you. Even to the point that your critical strike chance is hidden from you.

Know all of those people in LFR that stand auto attacking, or just instantly die and go afk, or just stand outside and afk?

How about all the guys that stand afk at the first base a battleground

Those are what your raiders would be in your actual raiding guild.

if that wasn't bad enough, even if they weren't afk, they likely are probably doing shite dps , anyway. How many times have you seen a guy with ridiculous gear doing 20th percentile dps? Theres usually 5 or 6 every 30 man pug. You'd no longer be able to kick those guys, so all those wipes to low dps would be impossible to cure.

Hell, you couldn't even know if YOU , yourself, were doing proper damage.

10+ Year Old Account

The removal would make things even harder to understand, even harder to manage and adjust. It wouldn't kill the game right away but would be like stepping in a bear trap.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Nothing better than trying to improve without any idea what you are doing wrong.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaetha View Post
    Yeah, it's super frustrating how many numbers FFXIV hides from you. Even to the point that your critical strike chance is hidden from you.
    Coming from WoW it IS frustrating, I agree.
    Still, I love to play the game, actually moreso than playing WoW b/c it's non raid content isn't quite as braindead as WoWs.
    I surely would not want to raid savage though. Combat is a bit too imprecise and rough for my taste.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Nothing better than trying to improve without any idea what you are doing wrong.
    Off topic:
    Welcome to playing the flute. *chuckles*
    That's how learning the instrument feels in a lot of places, b/c a ton of it is dependent on personal experimentation, since every human body is different.

People would find a work around. Some stable boss you could straight DPS and time yourself on, like patchwork.

That's how learning the instrument feels in a lot of places, b/c a ton of it is dependent on personal experimentation, since every human body is different.
    Well, you can record your session and listen to it later ... then adjust and redo.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    sounds very boring, how are you supposed to improve when you dont know whats goin on
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

If there is a better way, then that will be decided to be the only way to do it right.
    The tools used to determine that aren't the problem, it is those people using the tools in a way which gives them an intentionally skewed result.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Removing damage meters and combat logs would be awful. It'd be much more difficult/impossible to determine who the bad players are and see where they are going wrong.

7+ Year Old Account
    That they won't have to do. FF-XIV has had pretty brutal DPS checks in savage raids.

They might have to tone down general complexity though.
    And how do you reliably judge what is a "difficult" dps check if you can't compare yourself to the top players and guilds? You're missing sufficient data to even recognize which players are better than others unless you have another way of determining their rotation efficacy.

As for the OP...that's just retarded. You basically want a game where nothing you do has any impact on your performance because that performance is irrelevant.