Deleted

Help improve my dps

so today the guild took me along on the HC ToS as a trial raider, i feel like i should be puting out more dps as a frost mage so i'm looking at ways in which i could improve my dps

heres a link to my logs, thanks

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/ranking.../13#metric=dps

I took a quick look at it.

Gearing:
    Try to get 2 piece from nighthold and 4 piece from ToS. The damage bonus from these set bonuses is insane. I've got a 950 item sitting in my bank and equipped my 895 night hold tier piece because that improves my dps. It's a bit silly but if you have to go down in item level for set bonuses do it.
    If you have any other legendaries than the gloves use that, gloves is one of the worst legendaries at the moment.

Spec:
    Change unstable magic for arctic gale. Unstable magic provides such a marginal damage increase that arctic gale is better even on fights with very limited aoe.

Playstyle:
    Not gonna go through all the logs but in general: frozen orb is your friend. Cast that baby on cooldown. Make a weakaura for it if you forget.
    Blizzard reduces the cooldown of your frozen orb so make sure you've always got blizzard running in multiple target scenarios. Always cast it during harjatan/KJ/mistress adds etc. It's even a damage increase to use blizzard on two targets (for example when owl spawns in the sisters encounter)

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest swapping to a TV build even though you've got the helm. The rotation is so much easier to pull off to near perfection. I'm not being critical, but you asked for opinions so I want to give them without filter. Anytime I see consistently lower rankings that is usually an indication that gameplay improvements can help far more than practical advice about gearing. You have the helm, so until you get the bracers you are stuck without the t19 2p.

Gameplay is much easier and more straightforward as TV. Once you master that, I would then move down into a GS build if you still don't have the bracers. You should shoot for 4p t20, shark, and owl trinkets. Prioritize the crit softcap then haste.

Mobility is a part of frost that takes some practice. Record yourself and try and see how much you are moving or interrupting casts. Using shimmer instead of moving is optimal.

I suggest icy-veins for their gameplay guide, and despite the fact that target dummy can be boring, I still use it a lot and it really helps with frost which has a consistent cast priority that needs to be muscle memory. Frost is harder to parse in for a few reasons

1. Lots more people playing frost
    2. Rotation is very easy
    3. Fight length plays a greater role with double hero ring(ie, if your fight ends right as your second hero and second set of cooldowns end, you will likely parse better than if the fight ends right before your 3rd set of cooldowns come up, or if hero is popped late and you don't have time to line up second hero with subsequent set of cooldowns)

If you could snag that double hero ring you would be golden with the helm, and be running a solid set of legos for frost.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2017-09-29 at 03:35 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilara View Post
    I took a quick look at it.

Gearing:
    Try to get 2 piece from nighthold and 4 piece from ToS. The damage bonus from these set bonuses is insane. I've got a 950 item sitting in my bank and equipped my 895 night hold tier piece because that improves my dps. It's a bit silly but if you have to go down in item level for set bonuses do it.
    If you have any other legendaries than the gloves use that, gloves is one of the worst legendaries at the moment.

Spec:
    Change unstable magic for arctic gale. Unstable magic provides such a marginal damage increase that arctic gale is better even on fights with very limited aoe.

Playstyle:
    Not gonna go through all the logs but in general: frozen orb is your friend. Cast that baby on cooldown. Make a weakaura for it if you forget.
    Blizzard reduces the cooldown of your frozen orb so make sure you've always got blizzard running in multiple target scenarios. Always cast it during harjatan/KJ/mistress adds etc. It's even a damage increase to use blizzard on two targets (for example when owl spawns in the sisters encounter)
    after looking at some more of the high-ranking frost players I was thinking of switching some talents around, also have 2pc t20 atm but the 2nd is gloves so might just go with the 2pc and not use the legendary gloves

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest swapping to a TV build even though you've got the helm. The rotation is so much easier to pull off to near perfection. I'm not being critical, but you asked for opinions so I want to give them without filter. Anytime I see consistently lower rankings that is usually an indication that gameplay improvements can help far more than practical advice about gearing. You have the helm, so until you get the bracers you are stuck without the t19 2p.

Gameplay is much easier and more straightforward as TV. Once you master that, I would then move down into a GS build if you still don't have the bracers. You should shoot for 4p t20, shark, and owl trinkets. Prioritize the crit softcap then haste.

Mobility is a part of frost that takes some practice. Record yourself and try and see how much you are moving or interrupting casts. Using shimmer instead of moving is optimal.

I suggest icy-veins for their gameplay guide, and despite the fact that target dummy can be boring, I still use it a lot and it really helps with frost which has a consistent cast priority that needs to be muscle memory. Frost is harder to parse in for a few reasons

1. Lots more people playing frost
    2. Rotation is very easy
    3. Fight length plays a greater role with double hero ring(ie, if your fight ends right as your second hero and second set of cooldowns end, you will likely parse better than if the fight ends right before your 3rd set of cooldowns come up, or if hero is popped late and you don't have time to line up second hero with subsequent set of cooldowns)

If you could snag that double hero ring you would be golden with the helm, and be running a solid set of legos for frost.
    thanks for the advice, and yes, I came here for brutal honest advice so don’t feel you need to filter, no point beating around the bush

after looking at some more of the high-ranking frost players I was thinking of switching to a TV build, also have 2pc t20 atm but the 2nd is gloves so might just go with the 2pc and not use the legendary gloves as Ilara above said they are one of the worst legendries atm

and yes, I no doubt still have a lot to learn when it comes to gameplay and improving upon as I’m usually the one tanking the bosses not dps'ing. mobility wise and using shimmer I think I’m ok with just placement but I’m sure I can still improve a fair bit upon

I’m rather close to the crit soft cap with 32% crit, stats wise my biggest problem is that I something like 40% master and 20% haste so need to try swap some that master out for haste

Quote Originally Posted by Insignia View Post
    so today the guild took me along on the HC ToS as a trial raider, i feel like i should be puting out more dps as a frost mage so i'm looking at ways in which i could improve my dps

As someon who does raid with the GS build here are a few things about your gear you need to change if you still wanna run with GS. First get that crit cap. You're very close but that 1% your missing does make a huge difference. Second, your haste is way too low. In order to run the GS build effectively, especially when running the helm, you want at least 30% haste. You want to be able to build up those GS as fast as possible while also getting your helm to proc those CS. And third, you need a better secondary lego to compliment the helm. The best is the Shard of the Exodar, but the other ring or KJ's are the next best options. But bis for GS is helm and shard. For now I would change your neck enchant to claw to help you with your crit and haste until you better itemize your gear.
    As far as your logs go, you aren't casting ebonbolt, frozen orb or ice lance nearly enough. Ebonbolt and frozen orb need to be used on cd. That changes on both gear and certain situations. For instance if your close to a GS and ebonbolt is off cd, your should wait till GS becomes active and if you dont have a BF proc then use EB so you can shatter your GS. Once you get your T20 set then you want to use frozen up when you have a GS ready to go so that you get the dmg bonus.
    Here is a link to my armory just to give you an idea of how your stats should look, though my vers is still a little low
    https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch...dhoof/gramoria

And here are my logs
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/charact...dhoof/gramoria

My numbers in mythic aren't that great only because my guild has just started mythic so we are dying a lot lol. But my heroic numbers are pretty solid for the build and its super fun to play so hopefully you dont give up on it just yet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Insignia View Post

You do one fundamental thing wrong, what no one mentioned before: Your forget your icelance after a brainfreeze proc. Don't do that.

Quote Originally Posted by ArcadeBit View Post
    You do one fundamental thing wrong, what no one mentioned before: Your forget your icelance after a brainfreeze proc. Don't do that.
    This is huge.