Multiplayer Server

Looks like this forum doesn't get much action but I'm hoping someone sees this.

I've been playing Minecraft for a long time, but only single player. I've done modpacks and vanilla. I've also done multi-player as far as public servers like Hypixel and the like.

But I'm looking to start doing multiplayer with a buddy who just started playing and I'm trying to figure out how to go about doing this.

How do I get set up with a server? Is there a way to do it without buying my own?

I got a 30 day free trial on Minecraft Realms, so we are on that currently just doing vanilla survival. That's fine. But is there a server where we can go do that for free? How about ones with modpacks like SkyFactory and the ones like that? Just looking for a general idea of how this all works.

I know he wants to play on a server where its basically open. Free play. Building, destroying, surviving, trolling other people, pvp. That's what he wants. I'm just looking for anything that isn't minigames to play together. Survivalish. Thanks

Hello mate.

For Minecraft Realms you will have to pay the monthly subscription in order to maintain the server there.
    What I do is that I run a spigot server. I will be glad to explain to you whenever you want.
    Also there are list of servers on the internet (giyf) similar to this one http://minecraftservers.org/ in case you dont want to create your own.
    Also there are several server listings on this forum on a sticky thread.

Either add me on discord or let me know if any other way is more convenient for you.
    Discord tag: Athlios#0153

Good luck mate and have fun.