Page 1 of 11
... LastLast
    Deleted

Model targeted by rape threats after posing with hairy legs

http://www.itv.com/news/2017-10-06/m...th-hairy-legs/

A Swedish model has sparked controversy and has even been targeted by rape threats after posing in an Adidas advert with hairy legs.

While many spoke up in support of the advert, which stars Arvida Byström, it also sparked a flurry of angry comments calling her "disgusting", "ugly" and "unfeminine".

In a post to Instagram, 26-year-old Byström revealed that she had been targeted by rape threats in personal messages sent via social media

"My photo from the @adidasoriginals superstar campaign got a lot of nasty comments last week.

Me being such an abled, white, cis body with its only nonconforming feature being a lil leg hair.

Literally I've been getting rape threats in my DM inbox. I can't even begin to imagine what it's like to not posses all these privileges and try to exist in the world."

– ARVIDA BYSTRÖM, VIA INSTAGRAM

Byström is also a photographer, and frequently poses with her body hair on show.

According to Adidas, which describes her as an "artist, photographer, model and cyber sensation", she uses her work to "question femininity and gender standards using so-called 'girly' aesthetics".
    Seriously WTF is wrong with people! Especially a subsection of men! Reminds me of this: [VIDEO NOT FOUND]

No one should be threatening people with rape, but in my opinion, and that is all it is. I find that disgusting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Me being such an abled, white, cis body with its only nonconforming feature being a lil leg hair.

I can't even begin to imagine what it's like to not posses all these privileges and try to exist in the world.
    Yeah, I struggle to take this seriously when this is what she comes out with.

Someone probably just said "hi" to her and she freaked out.
    Last edited by Aeula; 2017-10-06 at 08:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Yeah, I struggle to take this seriously when this is what she comes out with.

Someone probably just said "hi" to her and she freaked out.
    She quotes the death threat.

And for the record, if you think that women before 1960 shaved their legs...

But there's no such thing as rape culture... Or sexism...

i literally puked. that is absolutely hideous. I know that having body hair is natural but they seriously should have put up a trigger warning.. That's enough internet for me today.

Dear god.. that is nasty.

Deleted
    I am thoroughly confused as to why one would threaten with that, unless it is somehow supposed to be "correction" rape.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, I guess we're going whole hog down the "eww, women with minimal cosmetic enhancement are SUPER gross" road, posted by dudes who're probably far hairier and would never think about shaving their own bodies the same way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    She quotes the death threat.

And for the record, if you think that women before 1960 shaved their legs...
    ..then you would be correct. Leg shaving picked up majorly in the 1940s but it had already been up in the conversational air in the few decades before.
    Speciation Is Gradual

Not sure what everyone are calling nasty, the leg hair or the rape threats....

Point out the the Model Alleges rape threats. Offers no evidence, at least not in the posted article.

And yeh, its fucking gross.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    Dude everyone gets death and rape threats for even doing something slightly controversial.

This is the internet. They aren't actually serious. Nobody is going to rape someone over hairy legs.
    That's not the point

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Point out the the Model Alleges rape threats. Offers no evidence, at least not in the posted article.

And yeh, its fucking gross.
    The evidence is on her instagram

What is funny is that if it is so gross why would they want to have sex with her??? I thought the hairy legs were a turn off?

"Cyber-sensation"

stoppedreadingthere.jpg

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    How is it not the point? The entire premise of the article is that it's newsworthy when it's not.
    The point is the "ITS JUST THE INTERNET" argument is utter bollocks. It's a bloody criminal act ffs,

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post

The evidence is on her instagram
    I never use instagram but I scrolled through a few of the offending pics, saw no rape threats. Even the article states she received them in private messages...so.... Its not like it would surprise me if it were true. But outside of her word, Iv seen nothing.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    I never use instagram but I scrolled through a few of the offending pics, saw no rape threats. Even the article states she received them in private messages...so.... Its not like it would surprise me if it were true. But outside of her word, Iv seen nothing.
    So you automatically assume liar?

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    So, I guess we're going whole hog down the "eww, women with minimal cosmetic enhancement are SUPER gross" road, posted by dudes who're probably far hairier and would never think about shaving their own bodies the same way.
    Oh fuck off, it's just the preference of a lot of men. Some men think big butts are gross some men don't mind. Same with boobs. The fact that this is a hell of a lot easier to change than cosmetic enhancements and the vast majority of men prefer their woman to not go completely natural is all this is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    It's almost as if certain bodily features are generally perceived as more attractive on a certain gender...