Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Folks, when you base your argument on the idea that women and ethnic minorities are automatically worse than white dudes at the jobs in question, you are the reason diversity programs exist. To offset that blatant prejudice.
    You completely missed the point of our arguments and are putting words in our mouth (huge surprise, this is generally unheard of in subjects like these). I'm all for diversity and the main people I surround myself with are minorities, I never said that they're automatically worse than white males. What I'm saying is that programs like these ultimately harm companies when they're forced to hire somebody with lower qualifications than somebody who belongs to the majority with higher qualifications (especially when you lean more towards the gender side) just to keep up a good image of having diversity. It's why affirmative action is now a controversial thing. The fact that there are programs that give people shortcuts to get through stuff easier just because they're a minority just proves that. I hope I'm wrong and it just means that the quality of education they're getting is better in these programs, or it just means they get to opt out of taking classes that they won't ever need to take outside of requirements (which in that case, I envy).
    Last edited by Seramore; 2017-10-09 at 07:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz
    MMO champion for example used to be the center of WoW theorycrafting

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Anduin Menethil View Post
    That's not true. Blizzard wants to hire more women for diversity.
    So basically you read nothing about the initiative?

Deleted
    Y'know, ranting about how blacks and women are just less qualified than white dudes, because blackness and femaleness is obviously inferior to whiteness and maleness, is pretty obvious prejudice. Literally the definition of it.

I'm sure you'll flail back about how you've got reasons to think that, but every prejudiced person ever has felt they had reasons. Those "reasons" are irrational bullshit, is the problem.
    I didn't care to join this discussion, but this is some insane strawman argument. Basically the literal definition of it. Fascinating. Did you try to misrepresent his position as much as possible in an ironical way?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Strangewayes View Post
    I was wondering what other people thought of Blizzards announced worldwide Diversity and Inclusion policy.

Personally I think it's a bad idea to have diversity quotas at companies. You are essentially turning down qualified passionate applicants for jobs in exchange for people either less qualified or less passionate in order to meet quotas of gender and ethnicity.

I think this will result in a drop of standards in Blizzard games, as they hire people either underqualified, or disinterested in the industry they are working in, or at worst, people who are simply political idealogues interested in positions to make a political statement rather that because they have an interest in games or gaming. (eg: see Bioware)
    You'd have to be a racist to not support Blizz in their push for diversity and inclusion. Simple as that.

Deleted
    Some of these minorities, just like women, also have a lower interest in these jobs.
    Well, fuck, wonder why Blizzard launched the initiative?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    So basically you read nothing about the initiative?
    I did. You didn't.

Doesn't apply, since the items we're talking about are all adjusted for proportional population. Even these diversity policies. They don't require that you hire equal numbers of every single ethnic group, they require a proportional representation. Nobody's going to say your company's failing to hire diversity candidates because it has hired no Inuit employees (unless you're somewhere, like Nunavut, where Inuit are a reasonable percentage of the population).
    Two things:

1. A company hires the most qualified people, who just happen to have proportional representation. At which point, celebrate, no need for any diversity policies in the first place. But that is rarely going to be the case.

2. A companies goal of proportional representation doesn't line up to hiring the most qualified candidates, hence companies will need to start discriminating based on race and start taking less qualified people in order to meet the proportional goal... which is apparently something you don't think is possible.

Or are you just going to keep on ignoring the posts that blow holes in your entire argument?

Deleted
    I did. You didn't.
    Clearly you didn't.

"Morhaime wrote that while the company will not set "quotas" for hiring female job candidates, Blizzard is encouraging employees to refer more qualified women to open positions, and it's looking into ways to better recruit from women's groups, conferences, and universities with an initial focus on "more women leaders and a diverse new graduate hiring class.""

Deleted
    Well, fuck, wonder why Blizzard launched the initiative?
    Blizzard wants to increase the interest of women in these jobs? How and why? They are just naturally not interested in these jobs. Might wanna start a campaign to get more men into working at beauty salons? Why not just let everybody pick what they want? Why do there need to be 50% women working at Blizzard? Just take the ones that are interested and good enough and shut the fuck up.

- - - Updated - - -

Clearly you didn't.

"Morhaime wrote that while the company will not set "quotas" for hiring female job candidates, Blizzard is encouraging employees to refer more qualified women to open positions, and it's looking into ways to better recruit from women's groups, conferences, and universities with an initial focus on "more women leaders and a diverse new graduate hiring class.""
    Like I said, they want to hire more women. How else are they gonna increase the 21% figure? Of course they wanna increase that, that's the whole point.

Making more women stay with Blizzard will increase that figure and will lead to more women working at Blizzard.

Deleted
    They are just naturally not interested in these jobs.
    And why's that? That's exactly what Blizzard wants to understand, because it's 50% of the human population.

- - - Updated - - -

Like I said, they want to hire more women. How else are they gonna increase the 21% figure? Of course they wanna increase that, that's the whole point.

Making more women stay with Blizzard will increase that figure and will lead to more women working at Blizzard.
    By merit and not a system of quotas. Or are you saying that women aren't as good as men?

10+ Year Old Account
    Meh...

I don't mind as long as they don't hire just because they have to. If a woman has the skills they need, great but else, no. I have never liked the idea of hiring someone just because quota requires it.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Deleted
    Hate it... just employ who is good for the job, keep it simple

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDayYouMay View Post
    Hate it... just employ who is good for the job, keep it simple
    Which is what Blizzard is doing, they simply are promoting their company for more brain power to apply.

Here's how I would conduct a hiring process: When browsing submitted resumes, hide the name, gender, ethnicity, etc. From there, I'd set the interviews of the top X candidates depending on how many I plan to hire.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Deleted
    And why's that? That's exactly what Blizzard wants to understand, because it's 50% of the human population.
    Why are less men interested in working in the fashion industry? Biology.

- - - Updated - - -

By merit and not a system of quotas. Or are you saying that women aren't as good as men?
    I'm saying Blizzard wants to increase the number of women working there, and you said they didn't.

Deleted
    Why are less men interested in working in the fashion industry? Biology.
    That's a joke, right? Fashion industry is dominated by men, it's one of the less diverse industries in the world.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm saying Blizzard wants to increase the number of women working there, and you said they didn't.
    They want to understand why groups of female coders and creatives don't even apply for Blizzard jobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by piethepiegod View Post
    well i don't like any thor outside of mighty thor and the god butcher arch so i can't say i disagree with that. x-men has lost alot of its luster for me after the XvsA story line but i have been meaning to get back into them.
    X-Men has indeed lost a lot of steam. It needs as soft reboot fast, not a fan of the young X-Men from the past they keep shoving down our throats either. The problem with X-Men is they have strayed too far into time travel and alternate realities and it's caused them so many issues in continuity. But I still enjoy it for the most part. I just wish they would cut down on the number of books they have out.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Sort of like cars that never get recalls or TSB's put out on them. Oh, wait.
    Yes, and you know the drama each recall produces... with software? It's just "Oh, another patch..."
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seramore View Post
    What I'm saying is that programs like these ultimately harm companies when they're forced to hire somebody with lower qualifications than somebody who belongs to the majority with higher qualifications (especially when you lean more towards the gender side) just to keep up a good image of having diversity.
    Without providing a shred of evidence to support the claim that this even happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    Two things:

1. A company hires the most qualified people, who just happen to have proportional representation. At which point, celebrate, no need for any diversity policies in the first place. But that is rarely going to be the case.

2. A companies goal of proportional representation doesn't line up to hiring the most qualified candidates, hence companies will need to start discriminating based on race and start taking less qualified people in order to meet the proportional goal... which is apparently something you don't think is possible.

Or are you just going to keep on ignoring the posts that blow holes in your entire argument?
    #2 implicitly argues that minorities are worse than white dudes. Which is why it's dismissed as a claim.

10+ Year Old Account
    #2 implicitly argues that minorities are worse than white dudes. Which is why it's dismissed as a claim.
    If they are equally qualified then why do liberal universities need affirmative action and SJW lead tech companies need hiring quotas?

Are you arguing that liberal universities and SJW lead tech companies are racist and/or sexist?