Quote Originally Posted by DocSavageFan View Post
    ^ Another vast right-wing conspiracy theory is born!
    It's a fair question to ask though.

Trump has repeatedly intentionally targeted blue states and intentionally "protected" red states.

California is the ultimate "blue" state in his eyes, and the word was that it would dock at a non-commercial port which makes perfect sense for safety reasons.

So why then is it docking at an extremely busy commercial port in one of the biggest population centers in CA?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eviscero View Post
    Everyone coming off these boats are going to be quarantined for 14 days at a nearby military base. What are you even talking about?
    Reports I was listening to earlier was that some would be sent to facilities elsewhere in the US for quarantine while foreign travelers home nations were working on transportation for them. Canada is sending a jet for their 200 passengers.

I may have missed that this would all happen after a local quarantine?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    REALLY GLAD THAT CRUISE SHIP IS DOCKING AT THE NON-COMMERCIAL PORT THAT IS THE COMMERCIAL PORT OF OAKLAND.
    No conspiracy. This was apparently the decision of state officials.

California Gov. Gavin Newsom on Sunday explained why state officials chose the Port of Oakland as the "best site" to allow the cruise ship carrying passengers infected with the coronavirus to dock and disembark there.

After reviewing "all of its options," Newsom's office said the Oakland port is the only one big enough and remote enough to allow the 3,500 passengers and crew members to get off the ship, some time on Monday. The time hasn't yet been worked out because of the tides in the bay.

There are limited docks that will be able to dock a ship of that size, and the Port of Oakland location was the easiest to seal off, securely move passengers toward their isolation destinations and protect the safety of the public, Newsom's office said. The port is also close to the airport and Travis Air Force Base in Fairfield.

The Port of Oakland's Outer Harbor Terminal also isn't near any big residential or commercial areas, while the San Francisco port, opens up onto the popular Embarcadero, where tourists and businesses are plentiful. The old Alameda Naval Base was the first choice, Newsom added, but then was deemed unworkable because the water at the dock was not deep enough to accommodate the large vessel.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Welp, then my beef is with Newsom. Now I know, and knowing is half the battle.

Thanks for the article. Still seems like a REALLY super bad idea, but at least there seems to be some justification for it.

Herald of the Titans DocSavageFan's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Dang. And I was so enjoying the "legitimate question" rationalization that the right wing was somehow involved.
    "Never get on the bad side of small minded people who have a little power." - Evelyn (Gifted)

10+ Year Old Account
    being scared about where the boat docks suggests you don't really know how viruses work.
    You mean like "it's only one person from China, it's contained, April Lol"?

10+ Year Old Account
    Dang. And I was so enjoying the "legitimate question" rationalization that the right wing was somehow involved.
    It was a legitimate question. Now it's been answered. And now the people who were asking are gracious for the information.

Perhaps, you know, some other people in this country might learn a lesson from that reaction cycle, eh?

- - - Updated - - -

Meanwhile... the DOW has dropped down to 24k again, so almost 1900 down for the day.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    You guys make it sound like they're hailing taxis from the dock.

We're getting patients in Spokane from all over the place because that hospital is one of ten in the entire country geared up for this kind of thing. They have to go somewhere and get there somehow, and the nimby thing is a little insensitive for people with a potentially deadly virus that just want it to be over.

While I have no faith in Trump, I do expect CA and WA have perfectly competent governors to be able to deal with this, especially with the forewarning that the ship is infected.

lol, I have most of the trolls on this forum ignored, but was that one really trying to harass us about a questionable concern as opposed to the just sheer piles of horseshit they shovel in here daily?

Must be a day ending in "Y".

Meanwhile... the DOW has dropped down to 24k again, so almost 1900 down for the day.
    Down just more than 1900 for the day now (−1,903.93 (7.36%)). And I spoke a little too soon, bounced back ever so slightly.
    Last edited by Bdatik; 2020-03-09 at 05:49 PM.

Herald of the Titans DocSavageFan's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    It was a legitimate question. Now it's been answered. And now the people who were asking are gracious for the information.

Perhaps, you know, some other people in this country might learn a lesson from that reaction cycle, eh?
    And some might learn a lesson about jumping to insane conclusions that are based on irrational fears and paranoia. Yeah...I know...I'm dreaming.
    "Never get on the bad side of small minded people who have a little power." - Evelyn (Gifted)

Quote Originally Posted by Nurasu View Post
    You guys make it sound like they're hailing taxis from the dock.
    Not at all, but given how easy this particular virus is to spread and how (we thought) they were basically just being shoved into a populated area on short notice, there was cause for concern. There have already been several fuckups the past couple of weeks with respect to this virus, after all. Those concerns have been (largely) alleviated by the article linked above, however. If it's a coordinated effort with enough resources then it should be handled well enough.

And some might learn a lesson about jumping to insane conclusions that are based on their irrational fears and paranoia. Yeah...I know...I'm dreaming.
    It's a reasonable conclusion given Trumps comments and the behavior of his administration.

It was proven wrong, and I'm happy to revise my opinion based on accurate information.

Not everything is a game of "gotcha".

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    It's a reasonable conclusion given Trumps comments and the behavior of his administration.

It was proven wrong, and I'm happy to revise my opinion based on accurate information.

Not everything is a game of "gotcha".
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/34...id=hplocalnews

Gov. Brian Kemp announced Sunday night that 34 Georgians, and additional people, will arrive at Dobbins Air Reserve Base late Monday or early Tuesday in what officials are calling a “secure transfer.”
    The ship is carrying more than 3,500 people from 54 countries.
    This is a lot of people that have to be moved somewhere.

Further on down the article:

Five people in Georgia have been confirmed to have the coronavirus by the CDC.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    You mean like "it's only one person from China, it's contained, April Lol"?
    Not sure who said that... it's an equally stupid thing to say. We're dealing with a respiratory illness transmitted from person to person via droplets in sneezes and coughs. These people are going to be entirely restricted in their movements as they are shuttled from one form of quanratine to another by people in protective gear that are aware of the risks and will take precautions to minimize them. Being scared because the boat is "docked at a nearby port" is just insanity driven by fear and ignorance.

Of course this is serious and should be taken seriously. Taking it seriously requires accurate data and policy based on facts, not fear.

The questions that Edge were asking most definitely WERE reasonable. It is perfectly in Trump's character to use this virus as an opportunity to punish people that he hates. I am thankful that Trump's comments have been SO off the wall that he has basically becoming irrelevant.
    Last edited by Omega10; 2020-03-09 at 05:59 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sen. Grassley and Trump have the answer to the problem.

Cutting taxes.

No, really.

Senate Finance Committee Chairman Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) is looking into options for possible targeted tax relief as a response to the coronavirus, a spokesman for the senator said Monday.

"While we continue to assess the economic impacts, Chairman Grassley is exploring the possibility of targeted tax relief measures that could provide a timely and effective response to the coronavirus," Grassley spokesman Michael Zona said. "Several options within the committee’s jurisdiction are being considered as we learn more about the effects on specific industries and the overall economy."

Grassley's statement comes as the White House has also been weighing ways to mitigate any economic impact of the outbreak.

White House National Economic Council Director Larry Kudlow said Friday that the administration was considering targeted relief to affected workers and businesses. And Trump has encouraged House Democrats to propose a temporary payroll tax cut.

Democrats, however, have said that worker safety should be a priority over tax cuts for businesses. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) said over the weekend that top priorities should include paid sick leave, enhanced unemployment insurance and widespread and free coronavirus testing.
    So I get Grassley's point of view, even as I disagree with them. Trump, of course, by pushing for a tax cut, is proving he is a bloated orange hypocrite. Simply put, if everything is as under control and harmless as he said, there wouldn't be a need for such relief. If the average American isn't going to be harmed, then why cut payroll taxes? All that does is weaken the government's ability to handle this crisis. Or the next. Or bail out farmers, for example.

Grassley, of course, is talking about corporate tax cuts. Again, I understand the idea of directly helping a damaged industry by giving them a tax cut. But um...didn't you guys already do that once? Didn't you already give them an enormous, deficit-ballooning tax cut? Shouldn't they have the money to handle this by now? I mean, if you give them money every time they're in trouble, even when it's their own fault, why would they make and sell things? It sounds like they could get dependent on the handouts, maybe even to the point of making more money by handouts than working. And how many of these companies are illegal immigrants? Waste and fraud, pull yourself up by your bootstraps --

"We get it. Blatant hypocrisy on corporate welfare over personal welfare."

So here's my question: Grassley's plan would at least focus on specific industries that WHAT A SURPRISE happen to be Republican interests. Slimy, but tactically sound. What's a payroll tax cut going to do? Obama did the same thing, cutting SS by 2%, and he claimed it saved $1,000 a year, and that was Mostly True. But Obama was trying to stimulate the overall economy, so just general money fit that theme.

Now, maybe Trump is looking to do the same. His numbers are dropping fast, after all. GDP over 2% seems like a stretch in Q1 2020. But let's focus on health care, because we are talking about a deadly disease. The average bronze plan is $330 per month. $1,000 a year will mitigate that, but not end it. True, Trump did authorize formerly illegal plans that cap payments...have fun with that, by the way. And you better hurry, because pre-existing conditions are heading to SCOTUS as we speak.

But of course, there's no reason the average American would buy, or improve, health care with a general tax cut handed to everyone. It's actually the Trump overall philosophy. Trump has already squandered tools like Q.E. and damaged the economy with his trade wars. Rates were already lowering. If the economy was in the shape he promised -- or for that matter, in the shape he inherited -- then a 0.2% to 0.5% GDP dip would hurt, but we'd still be 2.5% or likely higher. Trump did promise 3%, after all. Instead, he's looking at the risk of dropping sub-two, and his defense is "Fake News, April Lol" and handing out money with no restrictions. Which means we're going to see a bunch of people driving around in newly-tuned-up pickup trucks to the doctor with their same lack of insurance.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure who said that
    Yes, you are. Admit it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure who said that... it's an equally stupid thing to say.
    Those were pretty much Trump's official responses to the coronavirus.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

'Nero' trends after meme Trump retweeted of himself playing violin is likened to Nero fiddling as Rome burns

10+ Year Old Account
    DOW still falling. New low for the day, down 2100.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils