Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    I think it's also funny that he's also consistently failed to address the fact that Twitter changed its rules in order to not have to take disciplinary action against Trump.
    Don't they do that for politicians in general? Something about not deleting their tweets because it's relevant to the public discourse...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Don't they do that for politicians in general?
    Trump lied for years and years, yes.

Then he incited violence and that was too far. Well, except for Musk, who personally revoked that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Don't they do that for politicians in general? Something about not deleting their tweets because it's relevant to the public discourse...
    Nope.

An ex-Twitter employee admitted under oath that the platform changed its content moderation policy in order to accommodate Trump's behavior. The "public interest" exemptions for politicians in general were only implemented after the fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Nope.
    That...sounds like government pressure. Hey @tehdang would you like to comment on the Trump administration using government pressure to restrict free speech? Based on your posting history, I reasonably believe you would regard this positively in a fast-moving thread.

Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    ...did Fox News just find the Nikkey Haley fans?

Or did they just throw out her name because she's currently the only Republican woman who has announced their candidacy?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    I see CPAC was the same show of shit it usually is. People wanting to shoot reporters, saying they "don't give a shit" about kids being separated, Gym Jordan is apparently the most powerful man in DC, Libs of TikTok bint being a guest for some reason, fentanyl BS being revived, and Biden's "gang of thugs" ruining the "equal justice" the US has before him.

All to an audience of tired, old white folks.
    I didnt have the energy to make another CPAC mocking thread. But it's as bad as you can imagine.

That was accused groping sex pest, Matt Schlapp, calling Jym Jorden, groper and sex pest enabler, the "most powerful man in DC".

Truly, the party of serial sex crimes.
    Government Affiliated Snark

10+ Year Old Account
    Police can sue Trump for Jan 6th

Remember that rule that says you can't sue the President for saying the President things? The DoJ just publicly announced that this does not include incitement to riot. And, while they don't specifically say "Trump incited a riot" they are saying "we're okay if a court decides Trump incited a riot".

This is a follow up to one of Trump's claims of "absolute immunity", which as we know, have not survived a court case yet.

This is really bad news for the Republican Party:

Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    Because if even Santos can't win a fucking poll in his own hometown, it means Trump still has control of the party -- granted, we knew that, but DeSantis isn't facing down the legion of court cases for his deplorable behavior. Trump is, and this is yet another green light.

Imagine trying to be the head of the Party of Law and Order and coming in second to someone being sued by the police for damages caused because of a riot they started. Maybe instead of trying to ban the Democratic party and history of African-Americans, which yes the Florida GOP is doing, they should be looking at keeping Trump off the ballot? It's not like the southern Republican Party is a stranger to voter suppression.

I see CPAC was the same show of shit it usually is. People wanting to shoot reporters, saying they "don't give a shit" about kids being separated, Gym Jordan is apparently the most powerful man in DC, Libs of TikTok bint being a guest for some reason, fentanyl BS being revived, and Biden's "gang of thugs" ruining the "equal justice" the US has before him.

All to an audience of tired, old white folks.
    Not surprising they don't care the CPAC guy Matt Schlapp is a fucking gay sexual assaulter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Trump, evidently emboldened by a single poll finally showing him ahead and embiggened by decades of shoving overcooked burgers into his glowing orange gob, is planning on attacking DeSantis even harder than he's already a has-been. Whoops, I meant "than he already has been".

Trump believes DeSantis is the only candidate who could last with him in a long, bitter campaign for the 2024 GOP nomination.

Trump hopes to scare DeSantis out of running, or at least damage him if he follows through on signs he will enter the race, top sources tell us.

Trump plans to target "Ron DeSanctimonious," as he delights in branding the governor, in five areas. They are:

• DeSantis' past support for changes to Social Security and Medicare, including votes as a U.S. congressman to raise the eligibility age for Medicare.
    • Disloyalty to Trump after he helped DeSantis get elected governor in 2018. Trump also plans to pound DeSantis on likability.
    • Trump wants to cast DeSantis as a lackey of former House Speaker Paul Ryan. On Trump's social-media site, Truth Social, he attacked Ryan this week as a loser who "couldn't get elected dogcatcher," and said he should resign or be fired as a Fox Corp. board member.
    • DeSantis' response to COVID is a top Trump target, even though the governor is known for resisting mask mandates. Trump plans to attack DeSantis' caution in the earliest days of the pandemic — and try to fight the issue to a draw. A March 2020 headline in the Tampa Bay Times said: "DeSantis orders major shutdown of beaches, businesses in Broward, Palm Beach." (DeSantis pushes back on this.)
    • DeSantis took heat for muddled comments, in a Fox News interview last week, about whether to maintain financial and military support for Ukraine. Trump plans to portray DeSantis as wishy-washy on the war, while he toes the MAGA line of cutting aid.

"There’s a pre-Trump Ron and there’s a post-Trump Ron," a Trump confidant said of DeSantis. "He used to be a Reagan Republican. That’s where he comes from. He's now awkwardly trying to square his views up with the populist nationalist feeling of that party."
    That last line is something we've all discussed before: people who used to be classic conservatives now going half- to full-crazy to pick up the Trump voters, who do not elect sane people. DeSantis does seem to have more success straddling the line than most, which is probably why he's a threat to Trump.

That list of five is some hypocritical bullshit.
    1) Trump also proposed cutting Medicare and Social Security. In fact, he ran on the campaign pledge to cut everything. He lied, but he said it.
    2) Obviously Trump only values loyalty to Trump, but likability is something DeSantis can hit back with. It won't take much effort to show the remaining classic conservatives TRUMP ANGRILY RANTS ABOUT EVERYTHING and grabs women by the pussy. Yeah, Trump admitted that was him, remember?
    3) The biggest self-own since tehdang said Trump's FBI censored Twitter is Trump saying someone else couldn't get a win on Truth Social. The fact that he lost the popular vote, twice, and lost the 2020 election so hard he lost the 2022 election, isn't helping. DeSantis might not go with "Trump said he won in 2020 and lied" because he's planning ahead, but it would be trivial for DeSantis-supporting donors to run ads that say this.
    4) Trump has zero authority to criticize anyone's response to COVID. Whatever damage Trump says DeSantis caused to Florida, DeSantis can say Trump did to the USA.
    5) It'll be interesting when DeSantis throws that "Russia isn't in Ukraine" bit back in Trump's face. If Trump was suggesting Putin wouldn't go into Ukraine only because he was there, then Trump was suggesting Putin going into Ukraine was bad. DeSantis might not go that route, but again, it would be trivial for ads to show Trump as a Russian stooge, fighting even now to give Putin whatever he wants so the pee pee tapes don't come out.

DeSantis might sleep on any/all of this because, well, he's not running. But Trump picking these battle lines to draw against the governor of his own state while he's being sued by (checks notes) everyone, it just doesn't seem sure that he'll get good results.

Which means the two of them will be tearing into each other for months to come.

Good.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Trump, evidently emboldened by a single poll finally showing him ahead and embiggened by decades of shoving overcooked burgers into his glowing orange gob, is planning on attacking DeSantis even harder than he's already a has-been. Whoops, I meant "than he already has been".

That last line is something we've all discussed before: people who used to be classic conservatives now going half- to full-crazy to pick up the Trump voters, who do not elect sane people. DeSantis does seem to have more success straddling the line than most, which is probably why he's a threat to Trump.

That list of five is some hypocritical bullshit.
    1) Trump also proposed cutting Medicare and Social Security. In fact, he ran on the campaign pledge to cut everything. He lied, but he said it.
    2) Obviously Trump only values loyalty to Trump, but likability is something DeSantis can hit back with. It won't take much effort to show the remaining classic conservatives TRUMP ANGRILY RANTS ABOUT EVERYTHING and grabs women by the pussy. Yeah, Trump admitted that was him, remember?
    3) The biggest self-own since tehdang said Trump's FBI censored Twitter is Trump saying someone else couldn't get a win on Truth Social. The fact that he lost the popular vote, twice, and lost the 2020 election so hard he lost the 2022 election, isn't helping. DeSantis might not go with "Trump said he won in 2020 and lied" because he's planning ahead, but it would be trivial for DeSantis-supporting donors to run ads that say this.
    4) Trump has zero authority to criticize anyone's response to COVID. Whatever damage Trump says DeSantis caused to Florida, DeSantis can say Trump did to the USA.
    5) It'll be interesting when DeSantis throws that "Russia isn't in Ukraine" bit back in Trump's face. If Trump was suggesting Putin wouldn't go into Ukraine only because he was there, then Trump was suggesting Putin going into Ukraine was bad. DeSantis might not go that route, but again, it would be trivial for ads to show Trump as a Russian stooge, fighting even now to give Putin whatever he wants so the pee pee tapes don't come out.

DeSantis might sleep on any/all of this because, well, he's not running. But Trump picking these battle lines to draw against the governor of his own state while he's being sued by (checks notes) everyone, it just doesn't seem sure that he'll get good results.

Good.
    Qu'ils mangent des républicains

Likely to be irrelevant, owning to most Republicans voters being willing to simply tick the box for whoever wins the primary. On the other hand, there is some small chance of a genuinely high-variance option like Trump running for a third-party or just explicitly telling his voters to not show up and vote for DeSantis. It's not impossible that 2024 has a weird result like Biden getting 50% of the vote, DeSantis 34%, and Trump 15%. If nothing else, Trump always injects higher variance into elections than what you would other expect.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Likely to be irrelevant, owning to most Republicans voters being willing to simply tick the box for whoever wins the primary.
    Normally, yes.

This is different.
    1) Trump will not concede and endorse someone who is not Trump. He needs to stay in the race or he gets arrested.
    2) Trump is outnumbered by sane Republicans and this year they know that. Trump is a proven loser and the party wants him out. And the increasing number of civil and criminal investigations are the excuse they need, plus they'll eat into his time.

The classic conservatives aren't as stupid, crazy, or incompetent as the Trump cultists. They learn from their mistakes.

- - - Updated - - -

Speaking of crazies, Mike Lindell.

The media is covering up for Ron DeSantis. He is a Trojan Horse; he is the Trojan Horse. Do not believe anything you’re reading by the media about Ron DeSantis.

Now I’ll tell you what: Ron DeSantis — and he’s got money behind him — did he do anything for Disney? Remember that was the big thing, you’re gonna go after Disney. He did nothing, they got everything they wanted, everything.
    He was at CPAC when he said this. Yes, he was an invited speaker. From the looks of it classic conservatives and FOX News are avoiding it like a fat orange plague.

Normally, yes.

This is different.
    1) Trump will not concede and endorse someone who is not Trump. He needs to stay in the race or he gets arrested.
    2) Trump is outnumbered by sane Republicans and this year they know that. Trump is a proven loser and the party wants him out. And the increasing number of civil and criminal investigations are the excuse they need, plus they'll eat into his time.

The classic conservatives aren't as stupid, crazy, or incompetent as the Trump cultists. They learn from their mistakes.

- - - Updated - - -

Speaking of crazies, Mike Lindell.

He was at CPAC when he said this. Yes, he was an invited speaker. From the looks of it classic conservatives and FOX News are avoiding it like a fat orange plague.
    Someone should go tell Lindell to go cry into one of his pillows. I mean, that will give them a good use since nobody is buying them anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gondrin View Post
    Someone should go tell Lindell to go cry into one of his pillows.
    I mean...why? He's an invited guest speaker at CPAC. He's surrounded by people who paid good money to hear him speak. He's probably on a high like...like...I can't think of a good example of something that Mike Lindell would take to get a high. Hmm. Maybe it'll come to me when I watch that bear movie.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean...why? He's an invited guest speaker at CPAC. He's surrounded by people who paid good money to hear him speak. He's probably on a high like...like...I can't think of a good example of something that Mike Lindell would take to get a high. Hmm. Maybe it'll come to me when I watch that bear movie.
    Pablo Escobear?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Do these folks have anything real that they can actually campaign on as a tangible benefit to the American people? Or is this literally all they've got? How bleak.

COVID has killed more than a million Americans. I'd love to see the numbers on how many have died due to "wokeness."
    Still wondering who the fuck she thinks she's appealing to, if she's just hard-up for money and needs a boost, or if some wealthy conservative is funding this because he's on some heavy copium that an "establishment" candidate running as a MAGA can somehow win something.

Real though, this is absolute brainworms shit. Maybe she'd like a severe cause of covid where she needs to be put in a breathing machine for a few weeks to knock some sense into her.

I would love to see the thought process on seeing her low single digit polling, and thinking that was a good place to start running for president. I've sort of wondered, given none of them can point out how they're different to Trump, they're not just spreading what Trump will run on before he finally announces officially to drum up more support after their numbers have kinda fizzled (CPAC even has a low audience count from what I saw today). Then you have the low number candidates drop out, and have everyone gather behind Trump because he's the one that runs on the same message. Because I reckon he'll need what he can get this time around.

I don't think even a serious COVID case would deter these people. The culture war bullshit they peddle takes priority over everything.
    She's making a strong case for Republicans just writ-large really having a major kink for public humiliation.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.thedailybeast.com/donald...rs-report-says

Big treble is on the way. A group of inmates imprisoned for their alleged roles in the Jan. 6 insurrection have teamed up with none other than Donald Trump to record a song that was released at midnight, Forbes reported on Thursday. Naturally, the track is reportedly titled “Justice for All.”
    They'd better thank their lucky stars they didn't chose, "...And Justice for All" because then they'd have Metallica on their asses.

Either way, rofl, losers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do these folks have anything real that they can actually campaign on as a tangible benefit to the American people? Or is this literally all they've got? How bleak.

COVID has killed more than a million Americans
    . I'd love to see the numbers on how many have died due to "wokeness."
    Say what you want about Tucker, but he has top score for dead Nazi's since WW2 ended.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

COVID has killed more than a million Americans. I'd love to see the numbers on how many have died due to "wokeness."
    You say that, but do Republicans even acknowledge that death toll? Like...we started a 20 year crusade in the Middle East over 3,000 dead on 9/11. And there was a time during covid when we were experiencing those numbers of deaths every day (or couple of days), and yet they were still screaming about nothing but their right to not wear a mask.