Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    To this day, Trump's most successful business venture was selling red hats to idiots.
    I'd say that up until his presidency his true successful business was selling his name, much akin to how sports celebs did the same (like Shaq).

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    I'd say that up until his presidency his true successful business was selling his name, much akin to how sports celebs did the same (like Shaq).
    Agreed, his presidency is the result of the mythos he created around his name.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    May seem strange, but selling Bibles...this is going to hurt Trump.
    I mean a bible signed by the antichrist does seem to have some gimmick to it!

Quote Originally Posted by D Luniz View Post
    not with the cult and the rest of the former Republican party has the mindset that the worse person with an "R" is better than anyone with a "D" it wont hurt him beyond the lack of ad buys from down ballot
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Nothing hurts Trump anymore. Anyone who is still following him can't and won't let go, and that means those same people will continue to deny the reality in front of their faces.
    The real criminally negligent minds in this are the people who will vote for Trump because "at least he's better than..." - those people know they are doing wrong (i.e. aren't entirely insane like his rabid followers) and yet won't/can't be intellectually honest with themselves.
    I'm certain that there will be more of a loss than any gains. The zealots are in no matter what. But most mainstream Christians don't fall in that category. The Christian reaction to Trump’s Bible endorsement goes deeper than you think
    They may not vote for Biden, but they won't vote for someone that profaned their beliefs either. Prediction; the turnout for Trump will be similar to his rallies. Too many will stay home. A net win for Biden...and the media of course. (This presumes Trump isn't dead or in jail by Nov...or more incapacitated than he is now)

10+ Year Old Account
    Happy Easter, everyone. I'm sure Trump, seller of Bibles, will treat--

all Legal Experts and Scholars universally agree that this is a case that should have never been brought. IT IS A POLITICAL, ELECTION-INTERFERING WITCH HUNT, JUST LIKE ALL OF THE OTHER HOAXES, HEADED UP AND COORDINATED BY THE DOJ, AGAINST THE POLITICAL OPPONENT OF CROOKED JOE BIDEN IN ORDER TO HELP GET THE WORST PRESIDENT IN THE HISTORY OF THE UNITED STATES RE-ELECTED!
    Wow. "all Legal Experts and Scholars universally agree" apparently. Sounds like he'll have an easy time in court, if "all Legal Experts and Scholars" agree with him.

You know what, this isn't even worthy of a 24-hour challenge. Trump is just objectively wrong. There's no point in asking Trump supporters to defend this, because it's just flat-out wrong. Also, if Trump has evidence that this case -- this is the NY case involving Cohen just so we're clear, it is not a federal case -- is being directed in any way by the DoJ, he is welcome to present that at trial and/or to the public. ALL CAPS IS NOT EVIDENCE, it is just shouting.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Agreed, his presidency is the result of the mythos he created around his name.
    There is always this

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Happy Easter, everyone. I'm sure Trump, seller of Bibles, will treat--

Wow. "all Legal Experts and Scholars universally agree" apparently. Sounds like he'll have an easy time in court, if "all Legal Experts and Scholars" agree with him.

You know what, this isn't even worthy of a 24-hour challenge. Trump is just objectively wrong. There's no point in asking Trump supporters to defend this, because it's just flat-out wrong. Also, if Trump has evidence that this case -- this is the NY case involving Cohen just so we're clear, it is not a federal case -- is being directed in any way by the DoJ, he is welcome to present that at trial and/or to the public. ALL CAPS IS NOT EVIDENCE, it is just shouting.
    It's also projection.

Donald Trump really did order his DoJ to shut down investigations into his own crimes, and ordered them to target his opponent in order to get himself, the "WORST PRESIDENT IN THE HISTORY OF THE UNITED STATES" re-elected.

One of the philosophical points J.R.R. Tolkien made is that Evil is creatively bankrupt, and thus it is only ever capable of imitation and mockery. The last decade of watching the GOP and Donald Trump in action has really made it clear how deeply true this observation is. They're utterly incapable of building anything, even the things they claim to want. And they are likewise unable to find any novel misdeeds to accuse their opponents of committing - every single time the GOP or Trump complain about or make allegations against those who challenge them, it is something they very obviously have already done or are currently in the process of doing (and would do again given the chance).
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

I'm certain that there will be more of a loss than any gains. The zealots are in no matter what. But most mainstream Christians don't fall in that category. The Christian reaction to Trump’s Bible endorsement goes deeper than you think
    They may not vote for Biden, but they won't vote for someone that profaned their beliefs either. Prediction; the turnout for Trump will be similar to his rallies. Too many will stay home. A net win for Biden...and the media of course. (This presumes Trump isn't dead or in jail by Nov...or more incapacitated than he is now)
    I assume you don't know the answer but I have to ask.
    Why now?

Trump has been the walking embodiment of the 7 sins since day 1. Why is this crossing the line and were the very happy to vote for him when he was just a serial adulterer and rapist.
    I'm sorry, I think I answered my own question. He was the perfect representation of the church.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    It's also projection.

Donald Trump really did order his DoJ to shut down investigations into his own crimes, and ordered them to target his opponent in order to get himself, the "WORST PRESIDENT IN THE HISTORY OF THE UNITED STATES" re-elected.

One of the philosophical points J.R.R. Tolkien made is that Evil is creatively bankrupt, and thus it is only ever capable of imitation and mockery. The last decade of watching the GOP and Donald Trump in action has really made it clear how deeply true this observation is. They're utterly incapable of building anything, even the things they claim to want. And they are likewise unable to find any novel misdeeds to accuse their opponents of committing - every single time the GOP or Trump complain about or make allegations against those who challenge them, it is something they very obviously have already done or are currently in the process of doing (and would do again given the chance).
    Honestly, the GOP for the past, pretty much, 50 years only has had ideas that were just "Hurt the right people." mentality.

As much as some posters here dislike Bill Maher(and for good reason), he did point out one fact that is true, that the modern GOP talking heads(and some politicians) are just failed actors that got ridiculed or refused parts and now want to get back at "Liberal Hollywood" and liberals in general. All they care about is hurting the people and ideas that liberals support. Even if it comes at the expense of their own supporters.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Why now?

Trump has been the walking embodiment of the 7 sins since day 1. Why is this crossing the line and were the very happy to vote for him when he was just a serial adulterer and rapist.
    I'm sorry, I think I answered my own question. He was the perfect representation of the church.
    Because they can excuse the person for, well, being the person as a person is inherently flawed. Now they are seeing that same person use their holy object to enrich himself and taint it with things that aren't part of it. The book he is selling is literally the Christian Nationalist version of the bible. Most Christians don't subscribe to it much like most Muslims don't subscribe to ISIS or any other Muslim extremist organization.

Why now?

Trump has been the walking embodiment of the 7 sins since day 1. Why is this crossing the line and were the very happy to vote for him when he was just a serial adulterer and rapist. I'm sorry, I think I answered my own question. He was the perfect representation of the church.
    In my opinion:
    Between his own failing mental health, and the added pressure of his multiple losses in court, he...broke.
    Most of those with Christian beliefs were willing to overlook Trump's obvious lack of same as long as that "separation" was there..that religious divide from their personal beliefs and his political bullshit.
    Courtroom antics aside, he was republican and that was good enough.
    But this Bible grift, wasn't about hearing what was said, it's about feeling. It's one thing when a religious leader does it, but very different when a "president" does it. Especially someone who wants to be your dictator. A sense of foreboding is kicking in...Trump doesn't care about "third rail" politics...but assuming he makes it to Nov, he'll be reminded hard about it later...
    /my opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why now?

Money laundering for one thing. Also Money into church, church buys bibles, Don gets the money. Bypasses donation limits and isn't a church getting involved in politics "Nothing political here. We just bought bibles. So what if it was from the antichrist. Why do you hate Jesus?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Yes, Donald Trump really believes he is ‘the chosen one’

In the midst of answering a question about the ongoing trade war with China on Wednesday, President Donald Trump turned from reporters, looked to heavens and proclaimed, “I am the chosen one.”

He was, ostensibly, joking – and, days later, the President said in a string of Saturday tweets that reporters knew he “was kidding, being sarcastic, and just having fun.” The point he was trying to make is that past presidents should have dealt with the inequities in the United States’ relationship with China but didn’t, leaving him to handle it.

But as always with Trump, his jokes are freighted with what he believes to be lots and lots of truth.

Two serious strains of Trump thought are at work in the “chosen one” moment.

First, Trump does believe he is special and unique. In his defense, he’s far from the first president or even presidential candidate to believe that. As Beto O’Rourke famously/infamously told Vanity Fair in announcing his 2020 presidential campaign: “Man, I’m just I’m just born to be in it.”

Trump’s view of himself as special, of course, didn’t arrive when he got elected president in 2016. While that stunning victory was perhaps the strongest evidence – in Trump’s mind – of just how special (and how much better) he is, it’s not as though he didn’t think of himself that way prior to November 8, 2016.

As he wrote in “The Art of the Deal” (Trump’s second favorite book behind the Bible, he says):

“I like thinking big. I always have. To me it’s very simple: if you’re going to be thinking anyway, you might as well think big. Most people think small, because most people are afraid of success, afraid of making decisions, afraid of winning. And that gives people like me a great advantage.”

Since being elected president, Trump has repeatedly told attendees at his campaign rallies that they should be so thankful he won because had Hillary Clinton won the economy would have collapsed and we would be at war with North Korea – among other catastrophes. (It’s, uh, impossible to prove these hypotheticals true or false.)

He quite clearly believes himself to be a great man of history. “It is much easier to act presidential than what we are doing here tonight, believe me,” Trump told an audience in 2017. “With the exception of the late, great Abraham Lincoln, I can be more presidential than any president that’s ever held this office.” He’s also compared himself favorably to George Washington when it comes to appointing judges.

“We’ll have more judges put on than any other president other than one,” Trump said in an interview with Hill.TV. “Do you know who the one is? George Washington. Percentage wise.”

The other element at work in Trump’s “chosen one,” uh, “joke” is his addiction to exaggeration and theatrics. Again, here’s Trump from “The Art of the Deal:”

“The final key to the way I promote is bravado. I play to people’s fantasies. People may not always think big themselves, but they can get very excited by those who do. That is why a little hyperbole never hurts. People want to believe that something is the biggest, the greatest and the most spectacular.”

Trump is forever bragging about his audiences as record-setting. About the awards he has won (that don’t exist). About the many golf club championships he has won. About, literally, everything.

He’s also never really left behind his experiences as a reality TV star and executive producer. Trump is perpetually aware that he is on TV – and that the way the average person consumes his presidency is through bite-sized TV clips.

All of which makes his “chosen one” moment totally in keeping with who he is. Trump knows it will make good TV. He knows people will run with it. That his supporters will laugh and cheer and that his enemies will be triggered. It’s a provocative move – and Trump loves provocation.

“Chosen one,” then, isn’t just rhetoric. It’s a deeply held part of who Trump is – and always has been.

10+ Year Old Account
    “Chosen one,” then, isn’t just rhetoric. It’s a deeply held part of who Trump is – and always has been.
    Trump Shit Posts 71 Times Easter Morning Including One About His Own Crucifixion

To be fair, Trump reposted the Washington Times article about "The Crusifixion of Donald Trump". And in case you're wondering, yes they drew a very direct parallel pointing out how Jesus was arrested on nothing, tried and convicted on nothing, and executed for nothing. Thankfully, it is an opinion piece, and spares me from saying things like "all Trump supporters are now Trump worshippers until they say otherwise".

Oh, it's still hypocritical and blasphemous, but at least it's an opinion.

P.S. Trump attacked the judge and the judge's family multiple times in those posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Trump Shit Posts 71 Times Easter Morning Including One About His Own Crucifixion

To be fair, Trump reposted the Washington Times article about "The Crusifixion of Donald Trump". And in case you're wondering, yes they drew a very direct parallel pointing out how Jesus was arrested on nothing, tried and convicted on nothing, and executed for nothing. Thankfully, it is an opinion piece, and spares me from saying things like "all Trump supporters are now Trump worshippers until they say otherwise".

Oh, it's still hypocritical and blasphemous, but at least it's an opinion.

P.S. Trump attacked the judge and the judge's family multiple times in those posts.
    Most people in the US spent the day with their families, or working if they had to.

Donald just chose to be mad all day. Doesn't he have a beautiful golf club or something that he likes bragging about? Does nothing spark joy in his life?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Does nothing spark joy in his life?
    Donald Trump sees life as a zero-sum game and he always has. For there to be joy in his life, he must make someone else sad.

You'd think Melania would be enough.

The problem with going public is that the company's finances also become public knowledge. Here is latest financial statement for Trump Media & Technology Group Corp.

https://www.sec.gov/ix?doc=/Archives...0025342_8k.htm

The company spent $58m in 2023, and generated revenue of $4m. It's 4th quarter 2023 advertising revenue was a measly $751,000. Over 25 percent decrease from the more than $1 million it pulled in the 3rd quarter of 2023.

That company is a money incinerator. If Trump want to cash out, he better does it early. Waiting six months is too long. The stock will be penny stock by then. Unfortunately for his investors, the moment he cashes out, overnight the stock will become penny stock.

- - - Updated - - -

Even veteran stock option traders think this is crazy.

Why is there an unprecedented level of interesting in shorting #DJT (Truth Social stock)?

One apparent reason:
    This “$13 Billion” company has less revenue than the small lumber yard next to my parent’s house.

Currently trading at a Market Cap / Revenue ratio of around 1,500x (many companies have a multiple of 1x)

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    That is a good point - the negativity that Trump continues to bring upon himself might not cause GOP'ers to vote for Biden, but it will curb their enthusiasm for going to the polls - which, while not quite the same, is a step in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post

I'm curious to see how long they can keep it artificially inflated like this. I'm skeptical they'll have even anywhere near the sustained success of the GME apes and all, but I do love a lot of people realizing how much of the stock market valuation ends up frequently being driven by irrational investor beliefs.

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem with going public is that the company's finances also become public knowledge. Here is latest financial statement for Trump Media & Technology Group Corp.

https://www.sec.gov/ix?doc=/Archives...0025342_8k.htm

The company spent $58m in 2023, and generated revenue of $4m. It's 4th quarter 2023 advertising revenue was a measly $751,000. Over 25 percent decrease from the more than $1 million it pulled in the 3rd quarter of 2023.

That company is a money incinerator. If Trump want to cash out, he better does it early. Waiting six months is too long. The stock will be penny stock by then. Unfortunately for his investors, the moment he cashes out, overnight the stock will become penny stock.

- - - Updated - - -

All these financial rundowns of Trump Media & Technology Group, while they are accurate, miss the point. At no point has there ever been more than the minimum necessary legal pretense that this was intended to be a successful business, in terms of producing revenue from a good or service that people would pay for. The goal was to get DJT listed as a stock, which it now is. The next step is some mix of grift (getting his cultists and other suckers to pay for it), and money laundering (interested parties, in the United States or outside of it can now buy shares of Donald J. Trump, Presidential candidate).

The value is not in Truth Social as a business - that's clearly worthless. The value is that Trump cultists may buy the stock (and he does have a lot of very stupid cultists) and that the stock may be used to bribe Donald Trump (and he is certainly well known to be very corrupt).

Personally, I like Warren Buffet's model of investing in things that have real value, but are undervalued. But the US stock market more generally resembles an extended and diverse outbreak of tulip mania than investing on fundamentals. In such a market, betting on "Trump runs a cult and is corrupt" makes as much sense as many other stocks.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

10+ Year Old Account
    If anyone is still in doubt whether or not the Trump base is a cult this puts it into numbers. There is no reason why a company that just came out basically saying "hey, we're going to go bankrupt and shutdown because we don't have a working financial model" it still trading at almost $50 a share.

It's insane and just people throwing their money at anything called Trump because they are in a cult.
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    Also, one day the tables might turn.