Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    The GDP in the last few years was about $20 trillion. The Mexican border is about 3% of that. Flat-out ending trade on the southern border would, in theory, reduce Trump's GDP growth to negative numbers.
    And what would you do with industries that need supplies that come from X country?

10+ Year Old Account
    A minor point, but worth noting.

So, remember that video where Planned Parenthood was discussing selling fetal tissue?

"The one that was a complete hoax and the makers were charged with 15 felonies?"

Yes, that one. Anyhow, the people who made the hoax video challenged the charges and tried to take it up to the Supreme Court.

SCOTUS took one look at that shit and noped the hell out. Charges stand.

For more information about how fucked the video's creators are, please consult this House Oversight Committee official statement on the topic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    And what would you do with industries that need supplies that come from X country?
    Actually I assume that's part of the imports situation, but yes, it would ripple out. And it's not just avacados. CBS made a handy tally of imports from all three Mexican countries and summarized them on a single chart:

Wow, that is a LOT of machines (inc. vehicles) and machine parts in that list, outnumbering avacados ten to one!

"Avacados are actually $1.3 billion, so, machines outnumber that one hundred fifty to one."

Not listed are $3.5 billion in booze, $2.1 billion in rubber (aka "tires") and $1.7 billion in snack foods.

Also not listed is all the stuff we send to them, which presumably would be blocked by Trump and, failing that, blocked by Mexico out of vengence. This includes, yes an old friend of ours, soybeans.

"This again?"

Yes, this again. The US soybean exports to Mexico are disproportionately high, 5% or more of our market. What's happening is, Mexico is selling their soybeans to China (so is all of South America) at prices lower than we used to sell to China. Then, Mexico -- needing soybeans to make things like animal feed -- buys our soybeans for an even lower prices. Last year, we sold more US$ in soybeans to Mexico than they sold avacados to us. Frankly, we need their market more than they need ours. Soybeans prices have already crashed, and losing 5% of the market will not help.

Actually I assume that's part of the imports situation, but yes, it would ripple out. And it's not just avacados. CBS made a handy tally of imports from all three Mexican countries and summarized them on a single chart:

Wow, that is a LOT of machines (inc. vehicles) and machine parts in that list, outnumbering avacados ten to one!

I actually assume that behind the GDP number the actual business trade creates isn't included. So you may buy those machines but what those machines build probably isn't included.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Rick Scott: No, we'll just do the amazing work that I did in Florida and ask them to post drug/hospital costs in public so that the uninformed public who aren't armed to handle this kind of information can continue to make poor decisions that we can then blame on them rather than an insane insurance and healthcare market.

The modern republican party.
    You forgot about the defrauding medicare part.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Trump breaks up the DHS group that focuses on domestic violent extremists. The agents weren't fired, but they were split up and moved into existing teams, making coordination less efficient.

Just a reminder, since 2001, domestic terrorists have killed more Americans as Islamic extremists (the Las Vegas shooting really boosted the numbers), and they have caused more attacks and more property damage. Focusing less on them seems questionable.

They are also far more likely to be right wing/Trump voters than not.

- - - Updated - - -

It's 7:30AM. Time for another Tweet from the John.

Puerto Rico got 91 Billion Dollars for the hurricane, more money than has ever been gotten for a hurricane before, & all their local politicians do is complain & ask for more money. The pols are grossly incompetent, spend the money foolishly or corruptly, & only take from USA.

The best thing that ever happened to Puerto Rico is President Donald J. Trump. So many wonderful people, but with such bad Island leadership and with so much money wasted. Cannot continue to hurt our Farmers and States with these massive payments, and so little appreciation!
    First of all, that bolded. I was unaware "appreciation" was part of the contract. "Oh, sorry little Jimmy, we could find out who killed your Mom and Dad, but you don't appreciate the police, so fuck you."

But more importantly, none of this is true. As WaPo laid out in detail, the listed amount of aid was $41 not $91 billion. So Trump is lying by a factor of two. But, of that $41 billion promised, only $11 billion has been delivered. So Trump is lying by a factor of eight.

Is lying by a factor of eight considered "close enough to the truth"? If so, I'm over three hundred years old, I make $400,000 a year, and have a yard-long penis. Ladies

I'm pretty sure Puerto Rico has every right to complain about 73% of their promised aid still not arriving, the death toll being lied about, service contracts being botched and not completed, and Trump showing up to throw paper towels at people. It's been 18 months, almost to the day. Thousands died. And, for those of you who are about to say "But the bill that failed in Congress had P.R. aid!" I'll say "fuck you, it had $600 million in aid, all in food stamps, and billions in aid to the Midwest". $600 million is 1.5% of $41 billion.

"You do know that Trump tweeted exactly that, right?"

Yes. Yes I do.

Trump breaks up the DHS group that focuses on domestic violent extremists. The agents weren't fired, but they were split up and moved into existing teams, making coordination less efficient.

Just a reminder, since 2001, domestic terrorists have killed more Americans as Islamic extremists (the Las Vegas shooting really boosted the numbers), and they have caused more attacks and more property damage. Focusing less on them seems questionable.

They are also far more likely to be right wing/Trump voters than not.

- - - Updated - - -

First of all, that bolded. I was unaware "appreciation" was part of the contract. "Oh, sorry little Jimmy, we could find out who killed your Mom and Dad, but you don't appreciate the police, so fuck you."

But more importantly, none of this is true. As WaPo laid out in detail, the listed amount of aid was $41 not $91 billion. So Trump is lying by a factor of two. But, of that $41 billion promised, only $11 billion has been delivered. So Trump is lying by a factor of eight.

Is lying by a factor of eight considered "close enough to the truth"? If so, I'm over three hundred years old, I make $400,000 a year, and have a yard-long penis. Ladies

I'm pretty sure Puerto Rico has every right to complain about 73% of their promised aid still not arriving, the death toll being lied about, service contracts being botched and not completed, and Trump showing up to throw paper towels at people. It's been 18 months, almost to the day. Thousands died. And, for those of you who are about to say "But the bill that failed in Congress had P.R. aid!" I'll say "fuck you, it had $600 million in aid, all in food stamps, and billions in aid to the Midwest". $600 million is 1.5% of $41 billion.

Yes. Yes I do.
    He probably thinks PR is another country.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

10+ Year Old Account

Yes. Yes I do.
    Can we also talk about the hugely racist "bad Island leadership" crack? There's literally no reason to include the word I put in italics, unless you're using it as coded racist language, particularly when you capitalize it like that.

I'm going to ask again, if you are going to discuss a Trump tweet, PLEASE don't post the link just copy and paste the text, that way he doesn't get hits, which you just know he jerks off too.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Whistleblower says 25 people given White House clearance despite rejections
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/house-p...ty-clearances/

A whistleblower has come forward to say that dozens of White House security clearance applications rejected by the Personnel Security Office for "serious disqualifying issues" were later overturned with insufficient explanation. Tricia Newbold, who adjudicated security clearances for the office, told the House Oversight Committee that decisions on clearance applications for White House officials weren't always made in the "best interest of national security," according to a memo sent by Chairman Elijah Cummings to members of the committee.
    The most corrupt, inept administration ever. Yes Jared Kushner as we all know is an obvious point of corruption l, but 25 people.

This shows two big things; 1)Trump is corrupt and a criminal and brought his corrupt and criminal associates to the White Houseb and 2) much like in his business he couldn't staff the White House with competent people. Then again he likely wanted crooks in his administration.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    Then again he likely wanted crooks in his administration.
    I think it's not so much wanting crooks per se as placing loyalty above competence. Example: the second line of your own signature.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes Jared Kushner as we all know is an obvious point of corruption l, but 25 people.
    I'm honestly not sure which is worse:
    a) that the number is high (if anyone has the number for either Bush, Clinton, or Obama let me know), or
    b) that the whistleblower is keeping two names from the public. Because that's ominous.

- - - Updated - - -

Well. Things are not looking good for our friends in North Carolina's Republican Party.

"More voting fraud?"

Oh that? Still going through the courts. The grand jury is hearing evidence as we speak. No. The char of the NC GOP (OMG) just got indicted for conspiracy to bribe the state Insurance Commissioner.

According to the indictment, the four defendants offered Causey millions of dollars in campaign contributions, among other things, in exchange for the removal of his senior deputy commissioner.

Causey reported concerns about the political contributions to federal authorities and agreed to cooperate with an investigation into the matter, officials said.

“Bribery of public officials at any level of government undermines confidence in our political system,” Brian Benczkowski, the assistant U.S. attorney general for the Justice Department’s Criminal Division, said in a statement. “The Criminal Division will use all the tools at our disposal – including the assistance of law-abiding public officials – to relentlessly investigate and prosecute corruption wherever we find it.”

Hayes also allegedly lied to FBI agents
    Memo to Republicans: STOP DOING THIS. YOU KEEP GETTING CAUGHT.

about his involvement in the scheme, particularly about directing Lindberg’s contributions to the state GOP into Causey’s reelection campaign, according to law enforcement officials.
    "Well, there goes his re-election."

Actually, he announced yesterday he would not run for re-election to spend more time with his family. I guess he knew which way the wind was blowing. Then capsized.

10+ Year Old Account
    He's really serious about this border closing...mmk. Texas and Arizona polling should get fun

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seiklis View Post
    He's really serious about this border closing
    He says he's serious.

He went 2 years without shutting down the government for Wall funds, and he was bigly serious about that, too.

He kind of started a few things, like deal with the opioid crisis and illegal voting, then got bored and stopped.

Trump always talks a big game. Whether or not he follows through is basically a die roll. Remember the Contract with the American People? Even leaving aside the Day One bullshit, by current standing he's started...uh...at most seven out of eighteen things on the first page. The second page he gets some leeway on ("I will tell Congress to do XXX") but he seems to be two for ten on results, at least. So the Save DC against Trump appears pretty low, the 3 to 9 range.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seiklis View Post
    He's really serious about this border closing...mmk. Texas and Arizona polling should get fun
    I still think the states conservatives will continue to support the idiot.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm honestly not sure which is worse:
    a) that the number is high (if anyone has the number for either Bush, Clinton, or Obama let me know), or
    b) that the whistleblower is keeping two names from the public. Because that's ominous.

- - - Updated - - -

Well. Things are not looking good for our friends in North Carolina's Republican Party.

"More voting fraud?"

Oh that? Still going through the courts. The grand jury is hearing evidence as we speak. No. The char of the NC GOP (OMG) just got indicted for conspiracy to bribe the state Insurance Commissioner.

Memo to Republicans: STOP DOING THIS. YOU KEEP GETTING CAUGHT.

"Well, there goes his re-election."

Actually, he announced yesterday he would not run for re-election to spend more time with his family. I guess he knew which way the wind was blowing. Then capsized.
    Pretty obvious individuals 1 and 2 are Kushner and Ivanka.

Trump just said "my father is German, was German. Born in a very wonderful place in Germany." Fred Trump was born in New York. https://t.co/U6eWYPzjrJ
    https://twitter.com/tommyxtopher/sta...554769920?s=19

This is why we have this thread ladies and gentlemen and why it's closing in on one thousand page.

Actually video if you choose to click the link l.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

https://twitter.com/tommyxtopher/sta...554769920?s=19

This is why we have this thread ladies and gentlemen and why it's closing in on one thousand page.

Actually video if you choose to click the link l.
    Was about to post this. Lying comes to easily to him that he can casually lie about his own fathers birthplace like it's nothing.

Also, we really need to look at the "oranges" of how this investigation started, apparently.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll be honest: while I can't name the exact city my father was born in, I know the state and the goddam country.

The question I have is why do this? Unless you're sick and lie all the time about everything because you are sick -- in which case, he needs to be removed right away -- you lie for a reason. What's the purpose of lying and saying your father wasn't American?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Also, we really need to look at the "oranges" of how this investigation started, apparently.
    Someone orange fired Comey.

Is he lying about his father's birthplace or senile?

I read he has stated this multiple times.
    Last edited by Paranoid Android; 2019-04-02 at 08:02 PM.

Is he lying about his father's birthplace or senile?
    When you lie constantly, it's hard to stop yourself from casually lying about trivial shit.

Has trump hit the magical 10,000 lies since getting into office mark yet? Last time i checked he was north of 9100 so he's getting close.