Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Thumbs up UAW Wins in Chattanooga VW Plant!!!!

Good News Comrades! While final numbers remain to come in, the YES vote for the UAW in the Chattanooga Volkswagen plant is overwhelming. The UAW has finally won in the South. I cannot overstate how huge this is.

Dont think it could have happened under another political climate.
    I'VE SEEN ENOUGH

with roughly 50% of all possible votes in, UAW holds an insurmountable lead which would either require a massive tallying error or statistically improbable remaining vote share to flip

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-...-in-tennessee/
    Congratulations to the workers at Volkswagen in Chattanooga, Tennessee, on their historic vote for union representation with the United Auto Workers. I was proud to stand alongside auto workers in their successful fight for record contracts, and I am proud to stand with auto workers now as they successfully organize at Volkswagen. Across the country, union members have logged major wins and large raises, including auto workers, actors, port workers, Teamsters, writers, warehouse and health care workers, and more. Together, these union wins have helped raise wages and demonstrate once again that the middle-class built America and that unions are still building and expanding the middle class for all workers.

Six Republican governors wrote a letter attempting to influence workers’ votes by falsely claiming that a successful vote would jeopardize jobs in their states. Let me be clear to the Republican governors that tried to undermine this vote: there is nothing to fear from American workers using their voice and their legal right to form a union if they so choose. In fact, the growing strength of unions over the last year has gone hand-in-hand with record small business and jobs growth alongside the longest stretch of low unemployment in more than 50 years. I will continue to stand with American workers and stand against Republican’s effort to weaken workers’ voice.

Now if the UAW to win in the Alabama Mercedes plant in the next couple of weeks. That will also be huge.

More to come. Expecting tons of backlash from Capitalists and their pals in media and the GOP house.
    Government Affiliated Snark

10+ Year Old Account
    I really feel like we are entering a new age of strong unions and union support.
    Princesses can kill knights to rescue dragons.

Quote Originally Posted by Karreck View Post
    I really feel like we are entering a new age of strong unions and union support.
    Yeah. Despite everything else that's going on, it's pretty amazing to see labor making some pretty significant gains in recent years.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is good news and I hope to see more unionization down the road in fields that usually don't get it like service work. The only concerns I have about that is shitty union members who think that they deserve collective bargaining and others do not.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

The most cruel trick ever pulled by man was Right to Work. More importantly very shitty for German companies who have trade unions come here to exploit American labor.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Bloodsail Admiral
    1+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    The most cruel trick ever pulled by man was Right to Work. More importantly very shitty for German companies who have trade unions come here to exploit American labor.
    Don't forget "at will" employment. Fire people for any reason at all; no explanations need be given, and unless the person can convince an attorney there's enough to justify a civil suit, no recompense either.

But ya gotta give two weeks notice before you resign a position - it's only fair, right? It wouldn't be fair to the company if you just up and left!

10+ Year Old Account
    You farm out the work to easily abused workers in shithole countries. That's so American...
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Serpent View Post
    But ya gotta give two weeks notice before you resign a position - it's only fair, right? It wouldn't be fair to the company if you just up and left!
    FWIW there aren't any laws that mandate that. Anyone can turn in their badge and leave that second at any point.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Yeah. Despite everything else that's going on, it's pretty amazing to see labor making some pretty significant gains in recent years.
    Well, i think they've given up the idea that they're ever going to get more than token support from the government...so if they want better pay/working conditions/etc...they have to get it for themselves.

- - - Updated - - -

More importantly very shitty for German companies who have trade unions come here to exploit American labor.
    I mean, that's like at least half the reason they come over to America.

Corporations are always going to do what's in their best corporate interest. Doesn't matter if they're American or German.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    FWIW there aren't any laws that mandate that. Anyone can turn in their badge and leave that second at any point.
    AKA job abandonment, which is grounds for denial of unemployment benefits in pretty much every state.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanrefni View Post
    AKA job abandonment, which is grounds for denial of unemployment benefits in pretty much every state.
    Not job abandonment. The rules of At-Will Employment mean the employer or employee can end their obligations at any time for any reason. Telling your Boss to fuck off after you learn he's been stealing your tips or refusing to pay the overtime rate and walking out the door is the employee part of that at-will employment.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    Not job abandonment. The rules of At-Will Employment mean the employer or employee can end their obligations at any time for any reason. Telling your Boss to fuck off after you learn he's been stealing your tips or refusing to pay the overtime rate and walking out the door is the employee part of that at-will employment.
    If your boss is doing those things then yes you can get it,but otherwise no in most states.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...uit-32450.html

"Even employees who quit their jobs may be able to collect unemployment, but that depends on their reasons for leaving. In every state, an employee who voluntarily quits a job without good cause is not eligible for unemployment. But state laws vary as to how they define "good cause.""

So essentially if you just quit,you get nothing,if you need to quit to take care of some one it's a maybe,if your boss is an asshole you might get something depending on your state,good luck proving the good cause with out witness statements.

I know for a fact NH doesn't give a shit if you move to another state for a valid reason,they'll tell you to fuck off.
    MO will make you jump through unending hoops to get it but will,eventually,give it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Serpent View Post
    Fun fact; you don't need to give any notice at all. It's considered polite to give your boss 2 weeks notice, and not doing so might mean they give you a bad reference, but if they're a shitty enough boss you're gonna walk without notice you weren't going to ask them for a reference anyway. This only gets complicated if you have a contract which requires notice and offers some additional termination clause that isn't already covered under labor laws, where you'd have to abide by contract terms to receive contractual benefits on termination.

If you're working hourly, tell your boss to shove it up his ass mid-shift and walk. There's literally nothing stopping you. All your boss can really do is yell at you as you leave.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lanrefni View Post
    This is true any time you quit.

The other option, equally valid, is to all your boss as many horrendously offensive names as you can while refusing to do work and telling customers to fuck off and leave until your boss fires you. He's gotta keep paying you till he does, and all he can do is fire you. Which, if you want to quit, is what you want anyway.

Bloodsail Admiral
    1+ Year Old Account
    Guys, I know you don't have a legal requirement to give 2 weeks notice - that was sarcasm. I guess the tone didn't carry as well as I thought :P

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I believe that the reason European (and Japanese, and Korean, etc) Car Manufacturers set up plants in the US (and now Northern Mexico) is because of Tariff barriers etc.
    The US has been incredibly protectionist about cars. Especially once OPEC was founded and non-USA manufactured cars got popular as heck to import because they needed less gas because they were smaller, more efficient, etc.

That resulted in that most big manufacturers that wanted to sell big numbers in the USA built plants in the USA. Plants run by capital will do as capital does.
    - Lars

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karreck View Post
    I also feel like we're one Republican held government away from all union protections being stripped.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Eh, while they are not above some exploitation, this is not purely on them. VW was pretty content to ship in their cars and light trucks until Detroit paid enough congresspeople to put a stop to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Muzjhath View Post
    I believe that the reason European (and Japanese, and Korean, etc) Car Manufacturers set up plants in the US (and now Northern Mexico) is because of Tariff barriers etc.
    The US has been incredibly protectionist about cars. Especially once OPEC was founded and non-USA manufactured cars got popular as heck to import because they needed less gas because they were smaller, more efficient, etc.

That resulted in that most big manufacturers that wanted to sell big numbers in the USA built plants in the USA. Plants run by capital will do as capital does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Eh, while they are not above some exploitation, this is not purely on them. VW was pretty content to ship in their cars and light trucks until Detroit paid enough congresspeople to put a stop to that.
    Yes. As an American I'm not a protectionist person at all so not a champion of tariffs.

In some strange way I'm fine with Germany and Japan setting up plants here. As many shortcoming of the United States our labor force is very productive but we are not cheap. Japan and namely Germany here went to the southern states with this "right to work" bs, which in short is an exploitation of labor. Are these foreign companies going to exploit it? Sure. As an US citizen I just state that if you recognize the union in your country coming here an not letting the labor force organize is some bs.

This is not going to happen, but in a perfect scenario a President and Congress would tell these countries that they cannot block organizing labor. So while this is the the US autoworkers, aka Detroit's reason for tariffs, but them having unionized workers here is a reason to me for tariffs. Once more yes that is not why Detroit wanted tariffs, they didn't want competition.

Both of you posters are from different countries and IDK how it is there but our stupid American individualism is a problem here. Red or Republican states feed this to the masses that their individualism will stand out in VW and they will get raises and benefits by themselves over the collective. Along with being able to set up shop in states that will do anything to enrich corporations but shit on labor. Nothing we can do.
    Last edited by Paranoid Android; 2024-04-22 at 02:56 PM.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    You farm out the work to easily abused workers in shithole countries. That's so American...
    Americans did not invent nor are the sole users of that form of abuse. That's straight-up unbridled capitalism at its finest.

https://archive.is/XVMji

Tennessee Republican Gov. Bill Lee said Monday that he thinks workers at a Volkswagen plant in Chattanooga made a mistake by voting to unionize under the United Auto Workers in a landslide election but acknowledged the choice was ultimately up to them.

Lee told reporters Monday that the Volkswagen vote was "a loss for workers." He noted that he has a "long history with skilled workers" — workers are not unionized at his family's business, Lee Company, which employs about 1,600 people in home, facilities and construction projects.

"I think it's unwise to put your future in somebody else's hands," Lee said at an event in Gallatin. "But those workers made that decision based on the individual circumstances of that plant. I think it was a mistake, but that's their choice."
    Anti-worker Republican governor and owner of the family company that employs non-union labor thinks it's bad that workers voted to join a union for their own protection and benefit.

It appears Tennessee Republican Governor Bill Lee may only have experience as an owner/capitalist in the labor field, and no actual practical experience as a worker himself.