Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Anything is possible, but that kind of procedural move would be way out of left field. Although I now share your concern, because if anyone was going to do it, this crop of GOP appeasers would be it.

I can guarantee that whatever evidence is out there Mueller has, and has secured. In multiple locations. With multiple investigative agencies (i.e. state's attorney's generals).
    I really hope Mueller has it all, I am betting Trump destroyed all of it he could as fast as he could and continues to do so to this day given how he is known to shred or eat stuff immediately. Which is why he is so scared of the others who are turning on him as they had their own copies of their dealings with him that he couldn't digest and didn't even know they made probably.

And as far as these thoughts being left field, given these people and the shit they have pulled so far.... They aren't even throwing it out of left field, they are throwing out of right field so far they are in the stands already and trying to make that the new standard for the party while hoping the Democrats don't do the same thing or the public doesn't catch on.

Either way, I just can't wait for the shit show to end and those responsible held accountable. Last thing I want is another OJ where the guilty parties get away pretty much free and clear or worse actually getting rewarded for their actions.

AFK
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-...ys-died-on-911

Also another reminder, because Trump can never have too many lies - he claims to have lost "hundreds" of friends in the attacks. It's been two years and I still don't believe he's named a single one.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

Also another reminder, because Trump can never have too many lies - he claims to have lost "hundreds" of friends in the attacks. It's been two years and I still don't believe he's named a single one.
    Just the idea that he has friends is the biggest lie there. His only "friends" are the ones making money from him and nothing more.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

His close friends Ben Franklin, Bill McKinley, Grover Cleveland and Jimmy Madison. Yup, he lost a lot of "friends"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    His close friends Ben Franklin, Bill McKinley, Grover Cleveland and Jimmy Madison. Yup, he lost a lot of "friends"
    You forgot Frederick Douglas

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    Well, for us it's been 45 years since 9/11 lol (and still some people pop a champagne for that date, mainly ultra conservatives)
    Allende was a shithead tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Covfefe the Strong View Post
    Puerto Rico isn't the continental US. Hate to say it, but I doubt the Carolinas get a worse response than Puerto Rico did, despite Puerto Rico being a territory of the US. Actually, what are people in Texas saying about his "success"?
    He won't let a white, Republican state go to the shitter unlike a brown, probably Democrat, non-state.

Dem senator releases documents appearing to show DHS diverted $10M from FEMA to ICE

Sen. Jeff Merkley (D-Ore.) on Tuesday night released documents appearing to show the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) diverted nearly $10 million from the Federal Emergency Management Administration (FEMA) to Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).

The documents, first reported by MSNBC's Rachel Maddow, detail the agency's funding redirections for fiscal year 2018 and show that millions of dollars were diverted to ICE from several agencies.

Those diverted funds, totaling $33.1 million, "will provide funding in support of higher priority detention and removal requirements than those for which originally appropriated," according to the documents.

According to MSNBC, Merkely believes the transfer from FEMA to ICE was made this summer. He told Maddow that "it means that just as hurricane season is starting...the administration is working hard to find funds for child detention camps."

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Dem senator releases documents appearing to show DHS diverted $10M from FEMA to ICE

Sen. Jeff Merkley (D-Ore.) on Tuesday night released documents appearing to show the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) diverted nearly $10 million from the Federal Emergency Management Administration (FEMA) to Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).

The documents, first reported by MSNBC's Rachel Maddow, detail the agency's funding redirections for fiscal year 2018 and show that millions of dollars were diverted to ICE from several agencies.

Those diverted funds, totaling $33.1 million, "will provide funding in support of higher priority detention and removal requirements than those for which originally appropriated," according to the documents.

According to MSNBC, Merkely believes the transfer from FEMA to ICE was made this summer. He told Maddow that "it means that just as hurricane season is starting...the administration is working hard to find funds for child detention camps."
    I'd say this is going to be a huge deal, but really this is going to be applauded by the Trumpsters.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure The Wall can stop a hurricane. It's only a megaton's worth of TNT in energy.

Every minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    I'm sure The Wall can stop a hurricane. It's only a megaton's worth of TNT in energy. Every minute.
    I thought it was ten megatons every 20mins...

Umm...what am I thinking..no matter...a single hurricane has more energy than every nuke ever made.

10+ Year Old Account

well, guess that makes Breccia's post a disturbing type of foreboding

Unrelated: the hurricane is tremendously big and tremendously wet, says Trump in a tweet. He also claims it's the biggest in 25-30 years, and to be fair, there are public projections that agree with him.

But don't worry: Puerto Rico was an incredible success. Can't wait to see how the people of South Carolina react when they are yet another Trump success story.

"Are you mocking people about to lose their homes and maybe lives?"

Perish the thought. The USA is in much better shape to take a hurricane to the face. I am, however, mocking the idea of someone re-voting for Trump after FEMA fucks up a response.

10+ Year Old Account
    Canada walks away from the NAFTA talks. There is no scheduled date for talks to resume.

10+ Year Old Account
    Canada walks away from the NAFTA talks. There is no scheduled date for talks to resume.
    I mean, there's supposedly a potential deal in the pipeline. But Freeland has no reason to cave, on anything. And after Trump's comments that the USA wasn't going to compromise on anything because he wanted the deal to tank, you can bet Freeland is holding their feet to the fire.

If the deal's not a net positive for Canada, it ain't gonna happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    If the deal's not a net positive for Canada, it ain't gonna happen.
    Honestly, if all three countries can find a deal where they're all winners, I don't think I can complain. That simply does not seem to be what Trump is going for.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, if all three countries can find a deal where they're all winners, I don't think I can complain. That simply does not seem to be what Trump is going for.
    I mean, I deliberately phrased it that way hoping to get some angry "if Canada wins, we lose!" nonsense in response. But you're right. Trade can easily be a net-positive arrangement for all parties. Like NAFTA was.

The problem is that idiots like Trump can't grasp what winning is, unless someone else loses.

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem is that idiots like Trump can't grasp what winning is, unless someone else loses.
    Milk issue aside -- actually, let's talk about that one. Canada has accused the US of dumping low-quality milk on the open market, and added an anti-dumping tariff to block it. Trump might be throwing a hissy fit about it, but when Trump accuses China of dumping low-quality steel on the US, he is agreeing that Canada is allowed to do this. Saying anything else would be blatant hypocrisy.

Milk issue aside, it seems Trump is mostly pushing for the use of more and more US steel in cars. In alternate timelines, that might make sense. But the US does not make enough steel to suit its own needs -- we are a net importer. Mexico does the same. Canada is about even. That steel has to come from overseas. Even if it didn't, it'd be "stolen" from other industries which would have to import the steel instead. Either way, the cost to the consumer -- because Trump put a tariff on imported steel -- goes up.

Now some of you might say "just open more steel plants in the US, problem solved". Good luck with that. It's not that we're running out, but asking the US iron/steel mining and smelting industry to get the necessary facilities up and running quickly, when Trump and his policies could be out in two years, while also the price of steel (due to the tariffs) is rising and therefore lowering demand, is asking too much. That, combined with US steel is already too expensive to export, and the tariffs will make it more so.

"Wait, how?"

First of all, if prices for imported steel in the US go up, there's wiggle room for domestic steel to increase as well. There will also be a proportional spike in demand, which will help increase the prices. That, plus if the US buys less imported steel, other countries will happily take the slack -- they didn't put tariffs on it. US steel has nearly no demand in the global market, and that's due to drop.

Anyhow, look at the last two years. Try to find stories about US iron or steel works opening. Try to find data of iron and steel jobs rising. Despite Trump's actions, promises, and threats, the industry isn't moving on it. We are a capitalistic society, for good or ill. We follow the money. The steel industry isn't following Trump. They know there's no money there.

And there's a 100% chance Canada knows this. Canada isn't fucking stupid. Neither is Mexico, just to be clear.

With no forseeable strong increase in the US steel market, asking for an increase in US steel in NAFTA cars is asking for the price to increase. Period. Even if such an issue were pushed through, combined with the tariffs, car sales could drop ten percent as a result. And that's not talking about anything else made of steel, which will be hit by the tariffs (but not in NAFTA that I can see).

So will someone else lose? Yes. It will be US manufacturers, especially auto manufacturers. They will lose. And they know it, because they aren't stupid either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Milk issue aside -- actually, let's talk about that one. Canada has accused the US of dumping low-quality milk on the open market, and added an anti-dumping tariff to block it. Trump might be throwing a hissy fit about it, but when Trump accuses China of dumping low-quality steel on the US, he is agreeing that Canada is allowed to do this. Saying anything else would be blatant hypocrisy.
    Even that's not quite there.

Canada's supply management system for dairy limits imports to allow Canadian dairy farmers to meet our demands. We've got enough production and don't need to import, basically, and managing supply ensures that other nations (like the USA) can't undercut out pricing and hurt Canadian dairy farmers.

The WTO doesn't want us turning that about, so our capacity to export dairy is curtailed as well.

Basically everyone in Canada is pretty content with this. Prices are better for comparable products than the USA, dairy farmers are better off, everyone wins. Except American dairy farmers, who are vastly overproducing and have to dump stock regularly. And frankly, the success of American dairy farmers isn't Canada's problem to solve.

With no forseeable strong increase in the US steel market, asking for an increase in US steel in NAFTA cars is asking for the price to increase. Period. Even if such an issue were pushed through, combined with the tariffs, car sales could drop ten percent as a result. And that's not talking about anything else made of steel, which will be hit by the tariffs (but not in NAFTA that I can see).
    This is the important part about tariffs; they raise domestic prices. That's ALL they do. They can be used to protect domestic industry from international competition, by raising domestic prices on imports and making domestic more competitive as a result, but the effect is still raised prices. They're anti-consumer. Unlike the supply management system above, which has tended to provide Canadians with lower prices, since Canadian farmers have reliable profit security and don't need to make enough on one season's sale to offset seasons where they end up dumping the entire load.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    I'd say this is going to be a huge deal, but really this is going to be applauded by the Trumpsters.
    Another example of what would normally be a huge investigation and perhaps see a Cabinet Secretary resign being just another Tuesday for this shitshow of an administration.

#deplorable45

10+ Year Old Account
    And frankly, the success of American dairy farmers isn't Canada's problem to solve.
    It would be hypocritical of someone wanting to make their country great again, to ask other countries to help, at their own expense. (See also "someone loses")

Which is, of course, what Trump is doing with the threat of tariffs on our largest trading partners. If he was that good of a dealmaker, he wouldn't need to resort to blackmail or extortion.

P.S. Canadian cheese is better except for Vermont cheddar.