View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Dozens of additional Brexit benefits come to light in the last week and you all had to pick on that one to make fun of eurochums?

The truth is that imperial measurements require a greater intellect to understand and that the metric system was introduced for simpletons who couldn't manage the 12 times table. Here in Brexit Britain we are known for our numeric bilingualism and easily able to swap between metric and imperial measurements, just as the worlds most important country and only superpower the USA does.

Meanwhile those only just able to handle the 10 times tables are forced into sticking with metric. You are either intelligent or you aren't I'm afraid and that is the reason clever Brexiteers love the imperial system, yet remainers/those who would join the EU prefer metric.

Does that explain it simply enough for you to understand?
    As someone who has lived in America and worked almost exclusively in customer service related fields knuckle draggers that make you look smart have mastered the imperial system. And funny enough those same knuckle dragger's minds explode when you try to explain the ridiculously easy metric system.

Oh and the USA still uses metric for pretty much anything important/scientific. Imperial is an idiotic system that basically only still exists in America because of idiots and business lobbying being cheap fucks.

Brexetiers love imperial because they're nostalgia riddled fuckwads who can't cope with the fact that the British Empire isn't what it once was and anything that reminds them of those days protects their feeble minds from inconvenient realities. Or maybe you have a foot fetish and the idea of measuring things by some arbitrary former monarch's foot size gets you off.
    Last edited by shimerra; 2023-12-28 at 06:38 PM.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Dozens of additional Brexit benefits come to light in the last week and you all had to pick on that one to make fun of eurochums?
    Are litres of wine one of them?

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Are litres of wine one of them?
    On his previous record, he'll be counting pints of wine as at least 6 benefits. Red, white and rose, still. And red, white and rose, sparkling. He may even count them as separate benefits if they use different grapes.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    On his previous record, he'll be counting pints of wine as at least 6 benefits. Red, white and rose, still. And red, white and rose, sparkling. He may even count them as separate benefits if they use different grapes.
    Wait, pints, yes. Pints of wine, how could I so foolishly have mixed up the measurements! I blame being a yank. All the same, incredible benefit I hear, I would be jealous of I imagined more than like a dozen people cared about that kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Chonogo View Post
    I wasn't aware that Brexiteers looked at the USA and saw our use of the imperial system, and said "we want that! Brexit!"

WTF is going on, UK?
    I'm pretty sure the imperial system was originally British, Americans just adopted it from Britain.

---

I just saw the suggestion to reintroduce the imperial system has been dropped, since no one wanted it, lol

UK quietly drops Brexit law to return to imperial measurements

EDIT: I guess that was what the original talking point here was about - it will only be on those specific items.
    Last edited by diller; 2023-12-28 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by diller View Post
    I'm pretty sure the imperial system was originally British, Americans just adopted it from Britain.

l
    Yup. It's nothing more than a colonial era hold over because right around the time the Industrial revolution was taking hold in the USA metric was being adopted world wide. American business owners, having just build their new factories using imperial measurements and training their workers off imperial measurements, basically blocked/lobbied congress to stop its adopting because of the costs. That and just stubborn idiots who preferred the old system/didn't want to learn a new one because change is scary.

Effectively America is technically a joint system and a lot of us learn both in school although metric measurements aren't used by most outside of the sciences, academics, and the military because of international cooperation and everyone else using metric.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

I don't know if this chart is true but maybe Canada measures things suitably for Dribblers gargantuan intellect:

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    I don't know if this chart is true but maybe Canada measures things suitably for Dribblers gargantuan intellect:
    As a Canadian, that chart looks pretty accurate! My own quirk is I use Fahrenheit for temperatures above freezing and Celsius for temps below freezing. Why, I have no clue. And yes, I predate the switch over to metric.

Quote Originally Posted by GreyStriker View Post
    As a Canadian, that chart looks pretty accurate! My own quirk is I use Fahrenheit for temperatures above freezing and Celsius for temps below freezing. Why, I have no clue. And yes, I predate the switch over to metric.
    American living in Europe for 15 years here. I am fluent in both measurements but I do the same as you with temperatures.

My suspicion is because freezing in Celsius is a neat round 0 not some random 32. It makes sense to just say "It's below zero" for "It's below freezing".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Iliena View Post
    I think you need to break it down a bit more for the simple folk, I'm not going to lie a lot of that went right over my head and I got confused thinking about water freezing at -32F and boiling at 212F. I tried x12 and got -32x12=-384F that seems very cold!
    Water freezes at 32 in F. -32F is around -35C.

No. Fahrenheit makes no sense.

The original idea was that 32F being freezing *2 (64F) would be "room temperature" and *3 (96F) would be "body temperature". It's really arbitrary, but people from the US pretend that it somehow makes more sense because it's derived from "human feeling" and not from 0 is freezing 100 is boiling chemical reaction reference points.
    Last edited by Elder Millennial; 2023-12-29 at 03:17 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait till they learn that 1 liter of water weighs exactly 1 kg. And that 1000 liters is exactly 1 cubic meter. Weird wizardry.

Quote Originally Posted by Elder Millennial View Post
    No. Fahrenheit makes no sense.
    It kind of does, but not in a way that matters in the modern world. 0F was the freezing point of Brine it's just we don't really need to know about Brine as much in the 2020s outside of if your Tuna is coming in a tin of Brine or some sort of other preservative. Celcius is objectively better though.

That said perhaps it should be taught to brexiteers that cling to imperial that many of the imperial measurements aren't even British either. Take Fahrenheit for example. Daniel Gabriel Fahrenheit was an ethnic German born in Gdansk when it was part of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. You know the two nationalities (German and Polish) that Brexiteers hate the most due to the lies of Germany having full control over the EU and the Poles somehow stealing jobs.

Celsius is Swedish. This leaves Kelvin or Rankine but that would mean dealing with numbers much larger than the average brexiteer brain can handle.

Meanwhile, back in the real world where 99% of Brexit impacts are negative:

https://www.theguardian.com/business...m-eu-standards

Businesses experiencing additional costs for being outside of the EU. Barriers to trade with the EU. Additional expenses for trading with the EU.

Still, I'm sure those trade deals we've signed with countries that are thousands of miles away will totally make up for that /s
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    It kind of does, but not in a way that matters in the modern world. 0F was the freezing point of Brine it's just we don't really need to know about Brine as much in the 2020s outside of if your Tuna is coming in a tin of Brine or some sort of other preservative. Celcius is objectively better though.
    Yeah but 0 if the freezing temperature of a specific kind of brine. It's not even like "tuna brine" or "pickle brine". It's an ammonium chloride based random brine.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Wait, pints, yes. Pints of wine, how could I so foolishly have mixed up the measurements! I blame being a yank. All the same, incredible benefit I hear, I would be jealous of I imagined more than like a dozen people cared about that kind of thing.
    And yet they'll still offer the wine in restaurants as a 125ml glass or 250/500ml carafe. Or will that be 4.4 fl.oz, 8.8 fl.oz and 17.6 fl.oz?

Does the UK even make wine?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    It's a quirk of british english versus american english.

They're measuring whine, not wine, which the brits are one of the top exporter for the former.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Yes. Wine production is growing in the UK as climate change is making their country more suited to that sort of agriculture, too.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Yes. Wine production is growing in the UK as climate change is making their country more suited to that sort of agriculture, too.
    I've tried exactly 3 British wines. 2 were from the south of Wales.

One was a demi doc white and the other a sparkling white. Both were expensive and fucking terrible. Like, I've had better boxed wine at like 2 euro a liter from Spain or France.

The third I tried was actually a blended sparkling rose, and they were using Spanish crates and a Spanish Tempranillo for the balance. Again, it was 25+ euro a bottle...it was about as good as a mid range 5 to 8 euro bottle of Italian blended rose.

I'm not saying there's no hope for improvement, but at the moment it still feels like the grapes themselves are just not there yet and even experienced wine makers struggle with making anything balanced out of it.

I spoke to an actual Spanish winemaker and he pointed out that soil and humidity are the issues in the UK and less so temperatures.

French, German, Austrian and even some northern Italian and northern Spanish wine makers have successfully produced great wines in fairly cold climates. The bigger issue is the effect ambient humidity, availability of sunshine and the soil in the UK either being very "boggy" or very heavy on metal heavy clays. Grapes will grow there, but all those factors will carry over into the wine.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...u-finances-nhs

More British people think Brexit has done more harm than good for the UK:

For the UK in General
    For the ability to import from outside the EU
    The economy as a whole
    Environment
    Salary and Wages
    Personal Financial Situation
    Ability to control Immigration
    Ability to import from inside the EU
    NHS
    Prices at shops.

This is an actual poll, with actual response, reported in an actual normal piece of media, not some rag you know who posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...u-finances-nhs

More British people think Brexit has done more harm than good for the UK:

For the UK in General
    For the ability to import from outside the EU
    The economy as a whole
    Environment
    Salary and Wages
    Personal Financial Situation
    Ability to control Immigration
    Ability to import from inside the EU
    NHS
    Prices at shops.

This is an actual poll, with actual response, reported in an actual normal piece of media, not some rag you know who posts.
    I just came here to post literally this. Damn my old bones. Too busy laughing at Man United getting beat.

But yes, it's almost as if nobody knows about the literally thousands of Brexit benefits that dribbles keeps telling us about. Surely if everyone knew just how good Brexit is, they'd all realise that it's been a huge success and change their views.

We just need dribbles to actually tell us what they are, so we can share them with all these poorly informed respondents to this survey. I will be waiting with my breath whatever the opposite of baited is.