View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by Demolitia View Post
    Can the Express stop using caps and grotesque titles for their "articles"? It almost looks like a tweet from Trump.
    Are you so desperate to get a special snowflake deal for your steel exports? I thought it represents a minor share of your exports. Are you so scared your economy is falling apart already that you have to cling to straws?
    It is simple when it comes to Dribbles.
    If it is a negative impact on the economy, it is a small, negligible part of it.
    If it is a positive or neutral impact, it a great victory for Britain.

This can apply to the same section of the economy of course, and is one of the reasons why I tend to not engage him. Constructive discussion needs to be based on a shared reality. Dribbles, much like Trump supporters over in America, prefers his own reality and ignores any contradictions, even if they are between statements he himself made. As such, no constructive discussion can come to pass, you either agree with him and it becomes a cj, or you disagree and it leads nowhere.

Deleted
    7% of the UKs Steel goes to the US.

Guess who the 3 biggest markets for British Steel are? France, Germany and Turkey.

I'm sure this great lifeline will really help boost the steel industry that Brexit killed.

As for the overall market, the latest numbers I could find with a quick google search were Steel totaled 1.3% of all exports from the UK, but that was back in 2015, I could quite easily see it being less in 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiri View Post
    It is simple when it comes to Dribbles.
    If it is a negative impact on the economy, it is a small, negligible part of it.
    If it is a positive or neutral impact, it a great victory for Britain.

This can apply to the same section of the economy of course, and is one of the reasons why I tend to not engage him. Constructive discussion needs to be based on a shared reality. Dribbles, much like Trump supporters over in America, prefers his own reality and ignores any contradictions, even if they are between statements he himself made. As such, no constructive discussion can come to pass, you either agree with him and it becomes a cj, or you disagree and it leads nowhere.
    I know. I'm just reluctant to let nonsense like that pass. Who knows, others sharing his views at the moment might see the light
    There was a time, before the internet when bullshit of this order was just dismissed, if acknowledged at all.
    Now these kind of idiotic theories (whether it's dribbles, flat earthers, anti-vaxxers or other conspiracy nutters) are more vocal and persistent. Not sure what's the best way to fight them, but I'll call bullshit when I hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Tariffs and sanctions are not something you apply to your friends. Member states/the EU, call it what you will, need to decide if going forward post Brexit the UK is their friend or their foe. The clock is ticking, the EU have dithered for long enough, it's time to put their cards on the table.

Not if the EU/UK agree a comprehensive free trade agreement. We currently share equivalence, with the will the EU could agree that tomorrow unless of course there is another agenda in play.
    Let me explain in very simple English why there won't be a "comprehensive free trade agreement".

From Day 1, the UK's position was this - "We want access to the SM and CU but with lower fees, the ability to make trade deals outside of the CU and freedom of movement for UK citizens only."

From Day 1, the EU's position was this - "No."
    Remember kiddies, hope was the last evil in Pandora's box.

Quote Originally Posted by Triks View Post
    Let me explain in very simple English why there won't be a "comprehensive free trade agreement".

From Day 1, the UK's position was this - "We want access to the SM and CU but with lower fees, the ability to make trade deals outside of the CU and freedom of movement for UK citizens only."

Actually the UK's position was a bit funnier. They refused a CU. They want access to the single market, no fees (except for access to some regulatory agency's where they would gladly contribute to their budget, which amounts to a few millions a year), and no ECJ, but we could create new structures to rule between the EU and the UK.
    They basically want a new structure outside the EU that consists of them and the EU, that does the exact same thing, but where they don't pay and do whatever the hell they want.

Actually the UK's position was a bit funnier. They refused a CU. They want access to the single market, no fees (except for access to some regulatory agency's where they would gladly contribute to their budget, which amounts to a few millions a year), and no ECJ, but we could create new structures to rule between the EU and the UK.
    They basically want a new structure outside the EU that consists of them and the EU, that does the exact same thing, but where they don't pay and do whatever the hell they want.
    Nah, what they want is their Empire back, just this time they want Europe as their colonies instead of the ones they got last time.

To be honest, ANY of the EU nations would happily vote for something like that in a heartbeat. The problem was never the vote itself - the Brits can vote for whatever they want - the problem is that the politicians happily doubled-down on the lies as if this was a regular election. I read both campaigns and both campaigns were jam-packed with lies. Brexit won't cause WW3 but Brexit will shrink the UK's economy and create administrative problems that will take years to solve.

It all comes back to this - money. The UK voted to become richer but will end up being poorer. A silver lining from all of this is that their politicians won't be able to hide behind the EU anymore.

But in the meantime because Germany has to feel the full force of US sanctions and Poland doesn't, the EU says the Polish must suffer equally because it is a member of the EU sufferance club? Aren't there supposed to be benefits of being an EU member?

This is how it is being reported here....

EU throws huge STROP at UK-US special relationship which may EXCLUDE Britain from tariffs

Oh my sides!
    Holy hell the Express actually went with that headline, I thought you were being silly again.

"My sides" indeed at how much credibility that rag just lost, commiserations to you for that being the source of your world-view.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    Nah, what they want is their Empire back, just this time they want Europe as their colonies instead of the ones they got last time.
    The ironic or perhaps even sad part of this mind set is. Each time this feeling resurfaces a series of bad political choices are made and they end up further down the ladder in terms of their world influence and power.

Brexit is just one of the many political blunders, perhaps once the mistrust in politicians has grown so much change can be achieved and our neighbors across the sea can experience a more modern and better political system instead of a two party dominance. Where people clearly struggle to find real representation where as mainland Europe is now being over taken by none traditional parties and movements, ranging from both left and right political ideologies.

I honestly don't see these talks ending any time soon even when the timer runs out.

A silver lining from all of this is that their politicians won't be able to hide behind the EU anymore.
    I'm not convinced that they won't still try and get away with it due to the was the media reports about the EU.

10+ Year Old Account
    To be honest, ANY of the EU nations would happily vote for something like that in a heartbeat. The problem was never the vote itself - the Brits can vote for whatever they want - the problem is that the politicians happily doubled-down on the lies as if this was a regular election. I read both campaigns and both campaigns were jam-packed with lies. Brexit won't cause WW3 but Brexit will shrink the UK's economy and create administrative problems that will take years to solve.

It all comes back to this - money. The UK voted to become richer but will end up being poorer. A silver lining from all of this is that their politicians won't be able to hide behind the EU anymore.
    For the coming decade they'll continue to blame as they are now the EU for the outcome of the Brexit. I would even go as far as we'll be seeing behavior from politicians similar to that of Germany after WW I.

The EU is the perfect scapegoat and has been for a long time, since the EU by protocol does not comment in national elections, they don't play the role of opposition. Even now in this debacle at best you have "leaks", you don't have the EU really attacking the UK politicians. Verhofstadt made some perhaps wrong comments but never really a frontal attack as the EU experienced from the clowns that fly under the banner of the UKIP.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    For the coming decade they'll continue to blame as they are now the EU for the outcome of the Brexit. I would even go as far as we'll be seeing behavior from politicians similar to that of Germany after WW I.

The EU is the perfect scapegoat and has been for a long time, since the EU by protocol does not comment in national elections, they don't play the role of opposition. Even now in this debacle at best you have "leaks", you don't have the EU really attacking the UK politicians. Verhofstadt made some perhaps wrong comments but never really a frontal attack as the EU experienced from the clowns that fly under the banner of the UKIP.
    Oh, don't get me wrong - there will be feelings of revanchism from the UK because they aren't given what they want. However, for every internal political blunder there will be no hiding anymore. They won't be able to blame the EU for austerity or for their politicians' failed privatisation policies.

Oh, don't get me wrong - there will be feelings of revanchism from the UK because they aren't given what they want. However, for every internal political blunder there will be no hiding anymore. They won't be able to blame the EU for austerity or for their politicians' failed privatisation policies.
    They will try for sure, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    "My sides" indeed at how much credibility that rag just lost, commiserations to you for that being the source of your world-view.
    I'd think it needs credibility for it to lose any.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    They will try for sure, though.
    wont help populace in their struggle to maintain their level of quality of life. the people will likely expect solutions, not another tirade.

7+ Year Old Account

Sounds good to me. The EU demanded of the UK it was their way or the highway - the will of the UK people chose the highway.

One year to go eurochums!
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Sounds good to me. The EU demanded of the UK it was their way or the highway - the will of the UK people chose the highway.

which highway ? it's a road full of bumps.

10+ Year Old Account
    "We're gonna jump off this cliff! Only one year to stop us!!!"

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    "We're gonna jump off this cliff! Only one year to stop us!!!"
    to be honest: EU is a bit worried about UK's broken bones. but it's their call.

~ 384 days left.

Forget trade for a second in your Lalaland. What are you going to do when you lose air-travel and docking rights in the unlikely scenario that you leave with absolutely no agreement in place?