View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    So...uh...did the UK actually "win" anything in what's looking like an all but complete concession to the EU?

I'm not as familiar with this whole thing, but a glance at the terms seem like UK got nothing that Brexiteers wanted but instead had to cave to EU demands across the board. If I'm wrong please let me know, because this looks like a pretty humiliating defeat for UK negotiators.
    As far as salvaging the situation of brexit being a bad idea to begin with, it avoids a hard no deal brexit which would cause a great deal of chaos for the UK. The situation with the border can still change in the future, but there's now a deal in place for what will happen if there's no other workable solution. Essentially kicking the can down the road a bit.

But other than that, the UK largely capitulated to the EU at this stage, let alone when the EU starts to flex their muscles in the trade stage of it.
    Last edited by zealo; 2017-12-08 at 07:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Hahaha not at all, the EU and UK have nothing but weasel words from politicians full of hot air, today is no biggie and you answer your own question.

Nice to see the UK backdoor to the EU market is confirmed via NI whatever the circumstances. The ten DUP politicians tail wagging the EU dog, how embarrassing!

All on track steady as we go, tick tock, 476 days to independence day.
    If you find yourself in Bulgaria, I will buy you a beer and take you the good spots and not the ones that rip off Westerners.

Anyway, what happens now with this farce?
    Remember kiddies, hope was the last evil in Pandora's box.

Deleted
    the deal pretty much ensures the UK will stay in the single market and customs union. Oooops.

Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    the deal pretty much ensures the UK will stay in the single market and customs union. Oooops.
    In that case I've got to ask - what was this whole political theater about? Couldn't your parliament just say "No" in a soft manner once the referendum result came in?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triks View Post
    In that case I've got to ask - what was this whole political theater about? Couldn't your parliament just say "No" in a soft manner once the referendum result came in?
    Domestic political suicide to outright ignore a referendum they won. Their own support base would despise them for it.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Domestic political suicide to outright ignore a referendum they won. Their own support base would despise them for it.
    That's what we would have done in Bulgaria.

Deleted
    The current crop of politicians in the UK are not leaders merely managers who will do anything for stability. The government is threatened by growing protests and dissatisfaction with the inequality in the UK. Instead of addressing the problem they redirect it. They manage it and brought the people off with a referendum. Instead of reforming society they gambled. And after thier gamble lost, instead of making a tough choice they decided to wing it and continue managing. They are now micro managing day by day with no plan to the future. (you can see this in the budget where they pledge things so many years away, that the government could change in an election before the date it is set to enact the policy). The idea is to pander to the 'little people' to make them feel powerful so that they don't challenge the social order. And an element of disaster capitalism (led by key brexiteers and legatum) crept in because they could make alot of money so the machine will keep on churning. The political theatre is part incompetence and part control.

Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    The current crop of politicians in the UK are not leaders merely managers who will do anything for stability. The government is threatened by growing protests and dissatisfaction with the inequality in the UK. Instead of addressing the problem they redirect it. They manage it and brought the people off with a referendum. Instead of reforming society they gambled. And after thier gamble lost, instead of making a tough choice they decided to wing it and continue managing. They are now micro managing day by day with no plan to the future. (you can see this in the budget where they pledge things so many years away, that the government could change in an election before the date it is set to enact the policy). The idea is to pander to the 'little people' to make them feel powerful so that they don't challenge the social order. And an element of disaster capitalism (led by key brexiteers and legatum) crept in because they could make alot of money so the machine will keep on churning. The political theatre is part incompetence and part control.
    It can't be THAT bad. I mean, before this Brexit thing I was hearing how great the British leaders were - Cromwell, Thatcher, Churchil, Bevin, Blair, etc. How do you get from those titans to Faradge and Johnson?

7+ Year Old Account
    If you find yourself in Bulgaria, I will buy you a beer and take you the good spots and not the ones that rip off Westerners.

Anyway, what happens now with this farce?
    Ha thanks, I always wanted to try a couple of beach resorts there, and a bit of skiing - if you believe 99% on this board in a year or two it might be all I can afford :P

However today is inconsequential, all that has been said is that yeah we agree that some day we will agree. But we haven't and we won't.

The arguments about the Irish border will rage on and the peanuts in money we get to pay. As for a trade deal the EU haven't managed to negotiate anyting of significance with any world economy in their 40 years of existence, ever. Look at the non EU top 10 global economies, not one free trade deal between the EU and any of them. Sure a few euro fanatics gloat over the odd coffee deal with far flung bongo bongo land. But an EU/UK trade deal? Nah never going to happen.

And of course at that point "nothing until everything is agreed" kicks in and the UK withdraws its billions offer to the EU and any deal collapses.

The very easiest way to resolve the impasse would be for Ireland to leave the EU, not going to happen? Let's see...No one has so far mentioned the most powerful man in Germany yet, Martin Schulz who said just yesterday...

I want a new constitutional treaty to establish the United States of Europe. A Europe that is no threat to its member states, but a beneficial addition.

https://twitter.com/MartinSchulz/sta...48359720013824

Any state that will not ratify this treaty will automatically leave the EU.

https://twitter.com/MartinSchulz/sta...48811375271936

However we leave, and if talks drag on too long we will be kicked out according to Schulz, thank fuck we have, anything is better than that...we won't be the only ones if Herr Martin gets his way. Who else will ratify a new treaty that says that?
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Ha thanks, I always wanted to try a couple of beach resorts there, and a bit of skiing - if you believe 99% on this board in a year or two it might be all I can afford :P

However today is inconsequential, all that has been said is that yeah we agree that some day we will agree. But we haven't and we won't.

The arguments about the Irish border will rage on and the peanuts in money we get to pay. As for a trade deal the EU haven't managed to negotiate anyting of significance with any world economy in their 40 years of existence, ever. Look at the non EU top 10 global economies, not one free trade deal between the EU and any of them. Sure a few euro fanatics gloat over the odd coffee deal with far flung bongo bongo land. But an EU/UK trade deal? Nah never going to happen.

And of course at that point "nothing until everything is agreed" kicks in and the UK withdraws its billions offer to the EU and any deal collapses.

The very easiest way to resolve the impasse would be for Ireland to leave the EU, not going to happen? Let's see...No one has so far mentioned the most powerful man in Germany yet, Martin Schulz who said just yesterday...

I want a new constitutional treaty to establish the United States of Europe. A Europe that is no threat to its member states, but a beneficial addition.

However we leave, and if talks drag on too long we will be kicked out according to Schulz, thank fuck we have, anything is better than that...we won't be the only ones if Herr Martin gets his way. Who else will ratify a new treaty that says that?
    The beach resorts I can recommend are Albena, Nessebar and Ravda. If you want to go to Sunny Beach, save yourself the hassle and just go to Ibiza - it's MUCH better. For skiing - Borovets and Pamporovo. If you want more culture or just to chill out - Plovdiv (think Tuscany but cheaper!) and the mountains around Elena.

In the end I think the decision would be largely due to what business wants. When I saw the pound rise today I had a hunch that the UK was going to stay in some way or form in the single market.

10+ Year Old Account
    It can't be THAT bad. I mean, before this Brexit thing I was hearing how great the British leaders were - Cromwell, Thatcher, Churchil, Bevin, Blair, etc. How do you get from those titans to Faradge and Johnson?
    Farage has never actually been a MP despite trying to get there. The UK sent him to the EU to represent their interests there.

You might also wish to be cautious about praising the likes of Cromwell in this context. The man is rather infamous among the Irish. His invasion of Ireland had a pretty extensive famine connected to it as a result of English tactics employed.

Farage has never actually been a MP despite trying to get there. The UK sent him to the EU to represent their interests there.

You might also wish to be cautious about praising the likes of Cromwell in this context. The man is rather infamous among the Irish. His invasion of Ireland had a pretty extensive famine connected to it as a result of English tactics employed.
    I didn't know this. In our schools he is taught as the guy who ended the English civil war or something like that.

Say what you will about Farage, but I think he deserves some respect... I mean he actively campaigned on the grounds that he would be shit at his job and people elected him. Then when he can't even be bothered to turn up for the job was elected to be really bad at, that wasn't his fault but evidence of how terrible the European parliament is! That is simply... amazing!

I didn't know this. In our schools he is taught as the guy who ended the English civil war or something like that.
    Being on the winning side of a civil war doesn't necessarily make you a "good guy".

In which wouldn't be better to withdraw our notice and wait to be kicked out thus saving us £40b?

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Say what you will about Farage, but I think he deserves some respect... I mean he actively campaigned on the grounds that he would be shit at his job and people elected him. Then when he can't even be bothered to turn up for the job was elected to be really bad at, that wasn't his fault but evidence of how terrible the European parliament is! That is simply... amazing!
    And then he ran away the minute he was expected to take some responsibility after the referendum he has been asking for for the last 30 years.

The most powerful man in Germany? He isn't even on Corbyn level, lol. No one mentioned him here because A) there is already a thread for that and B) he really isn't all that powerful and few really take him seriously with that proposal.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiri View Post
    The most powerful man in Germany? He isn't even on Corbyn level, lol. No one mentioned him here because A) there is already a thread for that and B) he really isn't all that powerful and few really take him seriously with that proposal.
    Yeah, Schulz is fairly close to being replaced as the head of the SDP, he's nowhere near "powerful".

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    And then he ran away the minute he was expected to take some responsibility after the referendum he has been asking for for the last 30 years.
    No, that's the brilliance of it all he was never in a position to take any responsibility so he gets to blame those who are and best of all he still gets to draw a pension from the job he was bad at.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    nope, doesn't work in a private window either.
    Try the search thing, it usually works with FT.