View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    I'm convinced that a lot of the voters over here would vote to keep us out of the Federation of Planets. "Bloody aliens, coming over here with their warp technology and replicators. They can sod off and leave us to roll around in the mud".
    While at the same time praising the Romulan Empire and the Cardassian union even though they're being manipulated by the Tal Shar and the Obsidian Order. With a hint of changing influence as well.

And this (Brexit dividend at its best) is just fantastic:

Cue very earnest HMRC directive re. overseas businesses charging VAT at the point of sale rather than at the point of import and requiring said businesses to account to HMRC and paying for the ‘privilege’:

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...1-january-2021

Cue typically blunt Dutch response: Nah. We just won’t sell to you, then. The rest of the world, fine. But not the UK.

https://www.dutchbikebits.com/shipping

Unfortunately, we will not be able to send parcels to the UK from mid December 2020 onward. Quite apart from uncertainty due to Brexit surrounding the shipping cost, taxation etc. after that time, there is also a problem caused by the British government deciding to impose a unique taxation regime which will require every company in the world in every country in the world outside the UK which exports to the UK to apply and collect British taxes on behalf of the British government. For providing this service they intend to charge a fee to every company in the world in every country in the world which exports to the UK. Clearly this is ludicrous for one country, but imagine if every country in the world had the same idea. If every country decided to behave in the same way then we would have to pay 195 fees every year, keep up with the changes in taxation law for 195 different countries, keep accounts on behalf of 195 different countries and submit payments to 195 tax offices in 195 different countries, and jump through whatever hoops were required to prove that we were doing all of this honestly and without any error.

Therefore from mid December 2020 onward we ship to every country in the world... except the UK.

We have many customers within the UK and would like to be able to trade with them. Not being able to send parcels to the UK does not work in any way in our favour and it is not what we wanted. We are forced by British policy to stop dealing with British customers. If you're angry about this, and you may well be so, please contact your elected representative in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by LeGin Tufnel View Post

Cue very earnest HMRC directive re. overseas businesses charging VAT at the point of sale rather than at the point of import and requiring said businesses to account to HMRC and paying for the ‘privilege’:

Cue typically blunt Dutch response: Nah. We just won’t sell to you, then. The rest of the world, fine. But not the UK.

Unfortunately, we will not be able to send parcels to the UK from mid December 2020 onward. Quite apart from uncertainty due to Brexit surrounding the shipping cost, taxation etc. after that time, there is also a problem caused by the British government deciding to impose a unique taxation regime which will require every company in the world in every country in the world outside the UK which exports to the UK to apply and collect British taxes on behalf of the British government. For providing this service they intend to charge a fee to every company in the world in every country in the world which exports to the UK. Clearly this is ludicrous for one country, but imagine if every country in the world had the same idea. If every country decided to behave in the same way then we would have to pay 195 fees every year, keep up with the changes in taxation law for 195 different countries, keep accounts on behalf of 195 different countries and submit payments to 195 tax offices in 195 different countries, and jump through whatever hoops were required to prove that we were doing all of this honestly and without any error.

Therefore from mid December 2020 onward we ship to every country in the world... except the UK.

We have many customers within the UK and would like to be able to trade with them. Not being able to send parcels to the UK does not work in any way in our favour and it is not what we wanted. We are forced by British policy to stop dealing with British customers. If you're angry about this, and you may well be so, please contact your elected representative in the UK.
    Its not just the dutch. Companies all around the world are simply not shipping to the UK now because of this issue.

It heard about this via a twitch stream from a bunch of Canadians, their merch store will not ship to the UK until further notice for example.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Its not just the dutch. Companies all around the world are simply not shipping to the UK now because of this issue.

It heard about this via a twitch stream from a bunch of Canadians, their merch store will not ship to the UK until further notice for example.
    HMRC is charging vendors 1000 pounds per year to register to be able to submit VAT collected at point of sale. That's quite a lot of sales that people from the UK would need to make for the seller to break even on the processing fees.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler to Baby Sloths View Post
    HMRC is charging vendors 1000 pounds per year to register to be able to submit VAT collected at point of sale. That's quite a lot of sales that people from the UK would need to make for the seller to break even on the processing fees.
    Especially to do THEIR job ...

10+ Year Old Account
    That is going to sit well with the EU who they still have to deal with for future trade talks. There was a very important part about the current agreement when it comes to creating unfair competition, guess they still didn't learn from the past 4 years.

Even if there's no political answer to this, which there will be this will now be a transitioning period into finding other markets. Even when reversed after a while the damage will be done, as this might just be a stunt to empower their fairly easily swayed base. The other side of the coin might be the UK government once again underestimated the course they set on, are fully unprepared to deal with all this what is fairly obvious around now and are trying to offset the cost of their investment in government services to importers.

This would have worked a good century or two ago, globalization happened and all this will mean less goods and services for the UK, and other nations will simply move to find other markets.

It is also rather obvious that they are doing this to small businesses.
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LeGin Tufnel View Post

What's there to see? The EU have lost easy access to UK markets and now eurochums are complaining that the UK are setting rules that the EU have no control or say in.

Perhaps, when they had the chance, the EU should have considered the ramifications of losing such a valuable asset to them like the UK. It was the choice of the EU to jump off the Brexit cliff edge instead of accommodating UK wishes whilst inside the union. It's not like brexiteers didn't warn them of this.

Too late to moan now, Brexit working as intended. If the EU want access to the UK single market in the future they will do as they are told. If the UK says to the EU jump to sell into our markets the answer now is for them to say how high.

Stop the whinging already.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    What's there to see? The EU have lost easy access to UK markets and now eurochums are complaining that the UK are setting rules that the EU have no control or say in.

Perhaps, when they had the chance, the EU should have considered the ramifications of losing such a valuable asset to them like the UK. It was the choice of the EU to jump off the Brexit cliff edge instead of accommodating UK wishes whilst inside the union. It's not like brexiteers didn't warn them of this.

Too late to moan now, Brexit working as intended. If the EU want access to the UK single market in the future they will do as they are told. If the UK says to the EU jump to sell into our markets the answer now is for them to say how high.

The brexit perspective:

UK is in EU
    UK wants more ‘independence’
    UK leaves EU
    UK sets rules the rest of the world cant comply with
    Rest of the world stops trading with UK
    UK blames EU for

Also quite hilarious to describe it as “The UK single market”.

Yes, it’s indeed a single market. It is infact an undatable market, perhaps we should dub the UK the ‘incel market’.

Yes, whatever will I, a European citizen, do now that an Canadian streamer won't send a mug to the UK...
    Oh wait, I don't live in the UK so I don't give a shit.

This is UK people getting fucked over by the UK as there is a whole bunch of stuff they can no longer get.
    Everyone else just stops dealing with the UK and moves on with their lives.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Seriously Dribbles how can you be so dismissive! There are going to be literally tens of people who cannot order mudguards for their bikes as a result of this!

On a serious note this is HMRC closing a VAT loophole in their usual clear manner.

15+ Year Old Account

So you've voted for less choice?

Awesome! Well done!
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

What's the UK single market?

You do realise that this applies to countries not in the EU aswell right? Not sure why you're ranting on the EU, could care less if some companies wont ship to the UK anymore tbh. Others will just raise prices to compensate.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Seriously Dribbles how can you be so dismissive! There are going to be literally tens of people who cannot order mudguards for their bikes as a result of this!

On a serious note this is HMRC closing a VAT loophole in their usual clear manner.
    That many, how tragic, (For EU small businesses). I suppose we will have to buy more British stuff and thanks to the EU after brexit now we can do exactly that!

EU supermarket Aldi to boost annual spending on UK-made food and drink by £3.5bn. More than 1,000 small UK firms in grocer’s supply chain expected to benefit from cash injection.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...0five%20years.

Perhaps they will start selling mudguards so thanks eurochums, those brexit benefits keep rolling on in. I think its called having your cake and eating it courtesy of the EU! Did I tell you we would be better of out than in? Well did I? Remind me why were we sending that £350 million a week...
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

That many, how tragic, (For EU small businesses). I suppose we will have to buy more British stuff and thanks to the EU after brexit now we can do exactly that!

EU supermarket Aldi to boost annual spending on UK-made food and drink by £3.5bn. More than 1,000 small UK firms in grocer’s supply chain expected to benefit from cash injection.

Perhaps they will start selling mudguards so thanks eurochums, those brexit benefits keep rolling on in. I think its called having your cake and eating it courtesy of the EU! Did I tell you we would be better of out than in? Well did I? Remind me why were we sending that £350 million a week...
    I guess you send it where all the benefits from the EU were going before. And as far as I know, those 350m (though in reality, it was less than that) was lower than those benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    What's the UK single market?
    Apart from being a silly name it's also currently a non-entity after the uk left the EU, since there is a trading barrier between N. Ireland and britain.

still stuck in the "WHO'LL WIN?!" mindset?

EU share trading flees London on first day after full Brexit
    London’s financial sector started to feel the full effects of Brexit on the first trading day of 2021 as nearly €6bn of EU share dealing shifted away from the City to facilities in European capitals.
    Trading in equities such as Santander, Deutsche Bank and Total moved to EU marketplaces or back to primary exchanges such as the Madrid, Frankfurt and Paris bourses, according to data from Refinitiv — an abrupt change for investors in London who have grown accustomed to trading shares in Europe across borders without restrictions.
    Business on London hubs for euro-denominated share trading, including Cboe Europe, Turquoise and Aquis Exchange, shifted to their new EU venues set up late last year to cater for the end of the Brexit transition. The volume amounted to a sixth of all business on exchanges in Europe on Monday.
    “It’s been an extraordinary day. Shifting liquidity is one of the hardest things to do. It’s not ‘Big Bang’ — it’s ‘Bang and It’s Gone’. The City has lost its European share business,” said Alasdair Haynes, chief executive of Aquis Exchange.
    https://www.ft.com/content/a434b756-...0-ef2d42ea8d55

Firms from around the world have decided to end deliveries to the UK rather than register with the country for VAT after new regulations – which received next to no scrutiny by Parliament – became law last month
    https://bylinetimes.com/2021/01/04/u...it-vat-change/

Perhaps some of the workforce in the city, can begin crafting mudguards and grow beans instead.

As you've been told several times, it's a lose/lose situation
    Last edited by Crispin; 2021-01-05 at 01:30 PM.

In fairness there will be increased admin and shipping costs from Brexit as well as disruption simply due to companies not being used to (or having time, due to the last minute nature of the deal, to implement) the new requirements which may well make it non-profitable for a retailer of low value items, such as the online bike spares retailer, to continue trading, especially if their UK sales were low volume in the first place. Also HMRC are not always the easiest to deal with so I can certainly see why they might decide to stop selling to the UK.

However it appears that they have either misunderstood what will be required or are not being entirely truthful with their explanation. The UK is moving from a system where VAT is paid on the point of importation to one where VAT is paid at point of sale which will require foreign retailers to register and collect VAT, although Online Market Places, such as Amazon or Ebay, will (and already) do this on behalf of the retailer. This kind of VAT system is by no means unique to the UK and is already in place in many EU member states.

Still every cloud, Bike Bits' loss (although I imagine the publicity from this has already offset any loss of UK business - so fair play to them!) is Halfords' gain.

I would not be surprised from the odd stuff on offer in Aldi if they did not occasionally stock bike parts already.

Remind me why were we sending that £350 million a week...
    After all these years still repeating the lie on a bus...

Reading more about this:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/vat-and-...mers-in-the-uk

As a consequence of removing low value consignment relief, for consignments valued at £135 or less:

The seller must charge and account for VAT at the point of sale, unless the consignment is a business to business sale and the customer has given them their UK VAT registration number.

To charge and account for VAT the seller will need to:

- know the precise nature of the goods to find out the correct rate of VAT to charge
    - register for VAT - sellers that are already registered for VAT do not need to re-register
    - keep records of the goods sold, and make sure they get accurate information to apply the correct VAT treatment to them

I’m not misreading this am I? Literally: foreign sellers of low value products (Dutch mudguards, deluxe Canadian maple syrup, cheap Taiwanese male masturbators, whatever) - direct to consumers in the UK are going to have to charge and account for VAT in the same way a UK-based business would?

The seller must keep full records (including VAT invoices) for 6 years from the date any goods are sold.

Or what? A little man with a bowler hat and a briefcase is going to fly all the way over to e.g., Alabama and deliver a well-deserved slap on the wrist? You’ve been a very naughty boy, but I’ll let you off this time as long as you promise to keep good records in the future. So'ry, suh. Yessuh, ah promise t'be a fine fella in th' future.

HMRC's impact assessment:

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-value-parcels

However, where the overseas supplier is not compliant, the UK recipient may be held jointly and severally liable for the import VAT due on the goods, with the VAT collected in the same way as the current approach for parcels over £15. This measure is not expected to impact on family formation, stability or breakdown.

lol you couldn’t make this up could you.

Absolutely. Fucking. Insane.

We weren't sending £350m a week, that was a pathetic lie printed on a bus for the gullible.