View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    You forgot the secret Brexiteer solution: The EU could abandon its core principles and isolate Ireland. Thus closing the border to one of its member states, while keeping GFA intact. See, the logic is simple: The UK doesn't care about legality outside its interests. And bringing Ireland into the fold of the British Isles is even more welcome, does it not make Ireland dependent on the whim of London? Surely that suits London just fine, doesn't it?
    Wasn't the secret brexiteer solution fleeing to France or Italy ?

You forgot the secret Brexiteer solution: The EU could abandon its core principles and isolate Ireland. Thus closing the border to one of its member states, while keeping GFA intact. See, the logic is simple: The UK doesn't care about legality outside its interests. And bringing Ireland into the fold of the British Isles is even more welcome, does it not make Ireland dependent on the whim of London? Surely that suits London just fine, doesn't it?
    I think possibly the most concerning thing is that you probably believe this to be true.

Quote Originally Posted by Demolitia View Post
    Wasn't the secret brexiteer solution fleeing to France or Italy ?
    Nah, that's just a traitor's solution. He really just wants to see his country burn, his neighbours and friends suffer. A sociopath if ever I've seen one.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    I think possibly the most concerning thing is that you probably believe this to be true.
    It literally is the only solution that I came up with that incorporates everything the UK wants while keeping existing law concerning British interests intact. The alternative, whatever alternative, would mean the UK breaks something. Either GFA or their sovereignty (as expressed by being able to control your border). You explain to me how you think the UK should actually implement sovereign control over their border while at the same time leaving their backyard door wide open?
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

It literally is the only solution that I came up with that incorporates everything the UK wants while keeping existing law concerning British interests intact. The alternative, whatever alternative, would mean the UK breaks something. Either GFA or their sovereignty (as expressed by being able to control your border). You explain to me how you think the UK should actually implement sovereign control over their border while at the same time leaving their backyard door wide open?
    But I thought it was the "secret Brexiteer solution" and that "that [it] suits London just fine" because "The UK doesn't care about legality outside its interests"? And now you say that it is a solution that you came up with? Maybe attribute your solutions to yourself and not claim them to be the work of someone else in future?

As for a solution - I have no idea. I didn't create the mess and it certainly is not within my power to sort it out.

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    No no not at all, the EU install a border and the British smash it to pieces, what then? What if the British and the Irish smash it to pieces? What are the eu going to do? Come on surely after 20 months the EU know the answer to this basic question?
    Build a refugee camp right next to it

Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    Build a refugee camp right next to it
    Credit where credit is due that is very funny!

But I thought it was the "secret Brexiteer solution" and that "that [it] suits London just fine" because "The UK doesn't care about legality outside its interests"? And now you say that it is a solution that you came up with? Maybe attribute your solutions to yourself and not claim them to be the work of someone else in future?

As for a solution - I have no idea. I didn't create the mess and it certainly is not within my power to sort it out.
    We didn't come up with it, nor did we ever claim such, it was proposed by self-proclaimed Brexiteers.

Credit where credit is due that is very funny!
    Not really. But it has been done in the past (by Russia).
    I'm not actually in favour of doing it.

Deleted
    Anyone who is good enough to enter the British Isles via Ireland is good.
    But that will be literally every EU citizen.
    What we will have that we don't have now is that EU citizens will not be able to access healthcare, claim benefits, rent houses, get a job, etc etc much more control. Only people of the British Isles will be able to do that easily, foreigners will not.
    So you will be introducing a national ID card?

So, in essence, you have no clue and just want to criticize me for poking fun at your movement not having the faintest idea on how to accomplish what you want? It's literally you feeding into my joke. :P
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

We didn't come up with it, nor did we ever claim such, it was proposed by self-proclaimed Brexiteers.
    Keep up at the back! Slant admitted that it was his idea.

- - - Updated - - -

So, in essence, you have no clue and just want to criticize me for poking fun at your movement not having the faintest idea on how to accomplish what you want? It's literally you feeding into my joke. :P
    Nope, as far as I can see there is no viable solution at present. No, I criticised you for writing things that are exaggerated and untrue. Oh, and it is not my movement.

Deleted
    Uh - There are plenty of brexiteers that seem unaware that Ireland is an independent sovereign state, what with referring to the UK-Ireland border as an 'Internal' border, and then there is the 'maybe Ireland should leave the EU too' spiel - Slants scenario is not at all farfetched.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alexw View Post
    It won't be just the EU border. WTO regulations mean that if it opens its borders to the EU it has to open them to everyone else too. You can't treat one WTO signatory differently than another. It can only be over-ridden by an FTA or customs union and of course if the UK reaches a situation where the EU puts up a border and the UK says "screw you we are not doing it" then you can bet their won't be any FTA or customs union between the UK and the EU.

Frankly everything I've seen tells me the Brits are utterly screwed if they keep on this path. Its either U-turn and lose face or wreck your economy. Time to pick one.
    No. For the same national security reasons that have allowed Trump to just announce tariffs on German steel imports but their special friend the UK can apply for exemption, the WTO allows for this. The UK/Eire history of "troubles" surely would come under national security. Even if that didn't there are other local trade WTO exceptions.

One way or another there is a way around it.

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinP View Post
    But that will be literally every EU citizen.
    So you will be introducing a national ID card?
    We already have one of sorts, at 16 everyone born in the UK is issued with an NI number which comes with a card if you wish. Unlike the EU dictatorship it is not obligatory to carry it. Coupled with a UK birth certificate why would you need anything else? EU people will not have both of these currently.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Keep up at the back! Slant admitted that it was his idea.
    He didn't.
    You should reread that post if you think he did.
    He brought it up (again) but he didn't invent it.
    We are just refering to it as "his" because he brought it into this part of the discussion.

Nope, as far as I can see there is no viable solution at present. No, I criticised you for writing things that are exaggerated and untrue. Oh, and it is not my movement.
    Of course they're exaggerated. That's the point of a joke. Untrue? Not so much, I've seen many crazy things in this thread. If I could be bothered, I'm sure I could find Dribbles wishing for something along the lines of what I suggested in humor.

If it's not your movement, why do you even interject?

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinP View Post
    Uh - There are plenty of brexiteers that seem unaware that Ireland is an independent sovereign state, what with referring to the UK-Ireland border as an 'Internal' border, and then there is the 'maybe Ireland should leave the EU too' spiel - Slants scenario is not at all farfetched.
    Really? And since when did plenty of Brexiteers thinking something become UK policy? If he had left it at the secret brexiteer solution then I'd agree however he went on with nonsense that the UK does not care about legality which is an, extremely tedious, theme that keeps appearing throughout this thread.

We already have one of sorts, at 16 everyone born in the UK is issued with an NI number which comes with a card if you wish. Unlike the EU dictatorship it is not obligatory to carry it. Coupled with a UK birth certificate why would you need anything else? EU people will not have both of these currently.
    You are not obligated to carry an id in the EU in general, it is up to each member state to decide.

You are not obligated to carry an id in the EU in general, it is up to each member state to decide.
    You're forgetting, in his crazed head, EU = Germany. See, he's fighting the Fourth Reich. Now his posts make a lot more sense, don't they? Mind blown. :P

Really? And since when did plenty of Brexiteers thinking something become UK policy? If he had left it at the secret brexiteer solution then I'd agree however he went on with nonsense that the UK does not care about legality which is an, extremely tedious, theme that keeps appearing throughout this thread.
    You are moving goal posts again.
    It was about Brexiteers, you are the first who brings up "UL policy".

- - - Updated - - -

You're forgetting, in his crazed head, EU = Germany. See, he's fighting the Fourth Reich. Now his posts make a lot more sense, don't they? Mind blown. :P
    You aren't required to carry an ID in Germany, though.

You aren't required to carry an ID in Germany, though.
    Weeell, technically, no. But you are legally required to be able to present an ID. That you can drive home to get it and later show it to the police at the station is rather silly, though. So practically, everyone carries around an ID.

Weeell, technically, no. But you are legally required to be able to present an ID. That you can drive home to get it and later show it to the police at the station is rather silly, though. So practically, everyone carries around an ID.
    But you aren't required to carry it.